• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILL la KILL, new show by Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren-Lagann, Panty & Stocking) revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I hope they cool it with the BIG RED LETTERING all over the place for names and such. Got annoying pretty quickly.

Otherwise, AWESOME.

Ridiculous, frantic, over the top and occasional brutal are all words you could use to describe this. Others have said the episode is more FLCL than Gurren Lagann and I can definitely see that. Also Ryuko is FANTASTIC. Love her so much <3 <3 <3

Coming off Attack on Titan, the OST defiantly has a Sawano feel but I liked the AoT OST and I like what I've heard here so far.

Gazoinks

I hope they cool it with the BIG RED LETTERING all over the place for names and such. Got annoying pretty quickly.

Otherwise, AWESOME.

Ridiculous, frantic, over the top and occasional brutal are all words you could use to describe this. Others have said the episode is more FLCL than Gurren Lagann and I can definitely see that. Also Ryuko is FANTASTIC. Love her so much <3 <3 <3

Coming off Attack on Titan, the OST defiantly has a Sawano feel but I liked the AoT OST and I like what I've heard here so far.

Well, they probably won't have as many characters to introduce in the future, so let's hope so. Ryuuko is indeed already awesome.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the OP's like.

Just finished seeing the first episode. Savior of anime indeed. That was some insane stuff. It's like they took all the crazy action from Gurren Lagann and turned up 10 notches.

Yonafunu

KLK 1

That was great. I loved the pacing, there was just enough exposition to keep the viewer interested without going overboard. The characters are aweomse so far, the humour's great, and the voice acting is superb.
The only thing I could see people potentially having a problem with, aside from the breakneck pace, is the storyboarding (and by extension, animation). It's extremely Imaishi, for better or worse. Personally, I liked it, but I can see how it could get tiring.

Nia

That was a good episode.

It looks like Matoi's outfit
can absorb fabric from Goku uniforms. Perhaps it will get less revealing.

Anime is saved. KLK 1 totally exceeded any and all expectations I had going in. This is by far the definitive show of the season and PROBABLY THE FOREVER.

Dave1988

[Kill la Kill ep. 1]

fb5jRWm.gif

THANK YOU BASED TRIGGER!

rexor0717

Well, I loved it. I was a bit surprised by its pace, but I think I can get used to it. It has that same level of hyper-badass that TTGL had, and with female leads, which is pretty cool. I'm still not a fan of the costume, but it may grow on me. I really like the setting, and love the art style.

Are goku uniforms a direct reference to Goku, or does that mean something in Japanese?

Andrew J.

Episode 01

This show met the hype.

It reminded me of nothing so much as Re: Cutie Honey, what with the hordes of identical grunts, the fanservice, and the slapstick comedy. The real action scenes were more reminiscent of Gurren Lagann; if anything, they were even more grittily shaded and crosshatched.

cntr

Banned
Hot damn. That was good.

My only complaint is that it progressed a bit too quickly after Matoi gets the living uniform guy, but otherwise it was excellent.

It looks like Matoi's outfit
can absorb fabric from Goku uniforms. Perhaps it will get less revealing.

That would help lessen the terribleness of the battle uniform, and
maybe she also gains the power of the defeated uniform?

rexor0717

Hot damn. That was good.

My only complaint is that it progressed a bit too quickly after Matoi gets the living uniform guy, but otherwise it was excellent.

That would help lessen the terribleness of the battle uniform, and
maybe she also gains the power of the defeated uniform?

Mega Man?

Kill la Kill 1

Who needs room to breathe when the AOTY is playing in front of you?

For real though, that was a good first episode. It moved at a quick pace while still doling out enough info to follow along. Ryuuko is fiery and impulsive but still appropriately embarrassed, which I was a bit relieved by. The humour was genuinely amusing, and the student council set-up reminded me of Utena, which is alright by me.

Anime is saved, may it continue to be saved weekly.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone else noticing an audio delay on the daisuki stream? Its too noticeable for me to watch...

Gazoinks

Well, I loved it. I was a bit surprised by its pace, but I think I can get used to it. It has that same level of hyper-badass that TTGL had, and with female leads, which is pretty cool. I'm still not a fan of the costume, but it may grow on me. I really like the setting, and love the art style.

Are goku uniforms a direct reference to Goku, or does that mean something in Japanese?

According to the internet, it means something along the lines of "powerful warrior".

Anyone else noticing an audio delay on the daisuki stream? Its too noticeable for me to watch...

I got used to it after a while, but yeah.

Son Gok&#363; = &#23403;&#24735;&#31354;
Goku Seifuku = &#26997;&#21046;&#26381;

&#26997; means "extreme, ultimate".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Episode 01

This show met the hype.

It reminded me of nothing so much as Re: Cutie Honey, what with the hordes of identical grunts, the fanservice, and the slapstick comedy. The real action scenes were more reminiscent of Gurren Lagann; if anything, they were even more grittily shaded and crosshatched.
So Cutie Honey + Gurren Lagann? That sounds like an AMAZING combination. Hopefully will watch it later tonight.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, that was so awesomely retarded! Pure CARTOON magic.

The sense of energy that Imaishi brings to his works is unrivaled. But god damn, all the blurry panning shots...need dat Blu-Ray asap!

I really loved the first episode! Super action-y and outrageous. Funny. Really superb chracater designs and fight scenes.

I don't mind Matoi's revealing outfit and I'm also leaning towards the
as she gains fibers it gets less revealing thing.

Anime is saved.

Ath

That was a great first episode. So much energy, and Ryuuko is awesome. Trigger haven't let me down yet.

Dead

well not really...yet
The buttcrack suit is pretty novel, and in the hands of most anyone else, would come off as lewd pandering shit, but with Imaishi it's just like...what the fuck, why not. The whole thing is over the top.

LordCanti

AOTY, based Trigger, etc.

I hope they don't slow it down at all; Full speed ahead until she cuts through the heavens with her scissors.

Edit: How was the Daisuki translation/stream? I like watching right after something airs, but if the Daisuki stream was okay, I'd just as soon not pay for CR month to month for half a year until the end of KLK.

Gazoinks

AOTY, based Trigger, etc.

I hope they don't slow it down at all; Full speed ahead until she cuts through the heavens with her scissors.

Edit: How was the Daisuki translation/stream? I like watching right after something airs, but if the Daisuki stream was okay, I'd just as soon not pay for CR month to month for half a year until the end of KLK.

Didn't have any problems with the translation, but the sound is slightly delayed, which is annoying.

Whether or not they'll slow down is probably the thing I'm most curious about going forwards, and I'm kind of of two minds about it.

Hype-feuled avatar switch go.

Gazoinks

By the way, am I the only person who actually likes the design of Ryuuko's original outfit more than her sentient suit (transformed or non-transformed)?

Dresden

By the way, am I the only person who actually likes the design of Ryuuko's original outfit more than her sentient suit (transformed or non-transformed)?

I think pretty much everyone does. It's a nice look. She should at least keep the jacket.

Anime is saved!

• The pacing in the first half of the episode seemed a bit way too fast, though it stabilized somewhat in the latter half. The beginning felt like it was just a huge information dump... It was hard to keep up.
  • Mako is both adorable and hilarious.
  • I didn't really mind the blatant fanservice. It's not up to ridiculous levels like Queen's Blade, or even Hyakka Ryouran, which had titties flopping everywhere every five minutes.
  • Overall, I really enjoyed the first episode. It felt very reminiscent of Lagann in some ways, but completely new in others. I really dig the evil student council idea.
  • I need KLK pvc figures, stat.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So is the OT, oh, well Cross Post Ahoy.

Kill La Kill Episode 1: So here we are, he we are with the big anime of the season, the Sword Art Online, the Attack on Titan, the Free! of thew season, at least in terms of hype. Glanced at a few impressions that said this episodes left them cold, I guess I could see that, but I was too busy being entertained to notice. Yea, so now I know what Utena would have looked like by way of Gurren Lagan. Indeed as it has been suspected Kill La Kill has eaten and absorbed the old Gainax personality, which really could have used on Stella Woman's Acadamy. Another reason for enjoying this is because I am truly enjoying seeing the piss taken out of the high school setting. Anyway, yea, I can see why this fell falt for some people who don't like this style of humor and this still an establishing show, but anybody who is bored by this, go watch Kyoukai no Kanata. Still, time will tell if this can fully live up to the promises made but I will be watching, in my estimation is has somewhat lived up to the hype so far. ALso, Thursdays are going to be downright maddening as I have IS 2 and Golden Time to watch and more new shows next week.

Syrinx

Since this seems to more or less be the OT for the show right now, I'll crosspost impressions as well:

So gooooood...

I watched this with a smile on my face for pretty much the entire time. Barely 10 seconds in the insanity starts and it scarcely stops. I can understand how this would be a turnoff for some people, as I too would like to learn more about the city and school they're in as well as get a little bit more information on Maho, but what can I say? I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of this. That fight with the boxer dude was the sort of thing that got me so hyped for this show after finishing TTGL.

Also I could have done without the red letters all over the place, especially for characters who had already been introduced, but I laughed pretty hard when the boxer unveiled his super spiked steel glove thing and the name was so long it pretty much covered the whole screen.

Can't wait for more.

Branduil

Kill la Kill 1

As we all know, this is the first anime directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi since Panty and Stocking, and before that Gurren Lagann, both of which were animated by the legendary studio Gainax. Things have changed since then, and Gainax's loss has been newcomer Studio Trigger's gain. With former Gainax standouts like Imaishi, Masahiko Ohtsuka, and Yoh Yoshinari, the studio has already made a little bit of a name for itself with the outstanding short film Little Witch Academia, conceived and directed by Yoshinari. They also produced the silly(and absurdly cheap) Inferno Cop shorts. Kill la Kill, however, represents their first real attempt at a full-length TV series, and as an original work they're taking a fair bit of risk here; that being true, it's no surprise they'd rely on the tried and proven Imaishi.

Kill la Kill is, no doubt, an Imaishi work through-and-through, and that's obvious from the very first minute. All of his trademarks- extremely stylized and cartoony animation, loud and unsubtle characters, slapstick comedy, action scenes that approach abstraction- are here, and in abundance.

First, let me talk about what I felt worked. The art direction is extremely well-realized, with great layouts, distinct and visually appealing characters(important in a series with such a large cast), and solid animation. The storyboarding and direction was pretty effective, with lots of camera movement(combined with good-enough CGI) helping to make scenes more dynamic, as well as quickly communicating the general layout of the city and the school at its top. In terms of visual production, everything is solid except for that dreadful uniform.

That being true, I need to explain why I was left cold by this opening episode.

I think the biggest issue for me, one that relates to a wide number of my other complaints, is tone. I had no idea what I was supposed to be feeling during the vast majority of the episode. The presentation of setting, established in the first scene, borders on parody, with the schoolteacher lecturing on Hitler before being interrupted by the Gestapo-like Disciplinary Squad. In fact, I was unsure during the entire episode if this was supposed to be a parody of all similar stories or not. It feels like it wants to have its cake and eat it too, in terms of the setting being an absurd caricature of high school battle anime, as well as generic revenge stories; yet at the same time the weirdly dark, violent murders and the presentation of Ryuuko's motivation seem to point to this being a "serious" story.

These competing impressions left me unable to identify with any of the characters. It's especially hard in a series with such an over-the-top setting, where you really need a grounded and identifiable character to relate to, but Ryuuko is a total cipher outside of her one-dimensional motivation at this point in the narrative. Either that or she's just bland. Satsuki is easily the most interesting character, but she's even more of a mystery than Ryuuko. Every other character is just a walking trope, without anything interesting to say about them.

I should also mention that the comedy fell utterly flat for me. I feel like Imaishi is a comedic tryhard, with lots of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Maho in particular is an unfunny, one-dimensional gag character. And I definitely feel like the pacing hurt it in this regard, with wacky slapstick gag following after wacky slapstick gag, without and breathing room whatsoever. It's as if the thinking process is that comedy is the sum of many lesser jokes and you just need to spam them fast enough to achieve laughter.

I also must say that I felt the dialogue was atrocious, like, some of the worst I've seen in anime. Gurren Lagann, at least, even had memorable lines like "Believe in me who believes in you" from the very first episode. The dialogue in this is split between utter nonsense and pointless, rapid-fire exposition. Did we really need a scene explaining that three-star uniforms are more powerful than two-star, which are more powerful than one-star, etc. I think everyone already grasped the video-game like ranking system by that point.

ibe9k8W4deM3eQ.jpg

What does that even mean?

Regarding the music, I didn't even notice it. It just had no impact on me, maybe because I had characters screaming nonsense in my ears the entire episode.

Squishy3

Found one in the ep2 preview too :/

Are they speedsubbing it or something?
Crunchyroll gets the episode in advance and releases the English subbed version at the same time as the episode airs in Japan. They don't have very long to sub the episode, after all. People make mistakes, it happens.

For people complaining about the battle suit: She'll probably only be wearing it for the fight scenes. (which is still ridiculous, but she's not going to be wearing it the entire time.) There was a transformation sequence shown in the 3 minute PV which mostly comprised of scenes from the first episode but the transformation was nowhere to be seen in this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom