• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILL la KILL, new show by Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren-Lagann, Panty & Stocking) revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Eftyo2z.jpg

Dat fuckin midriff tho

/XX/

Stupidity is always part of the theme in Imaishi's anime; textually in both Gurren-Lagann and Panty & Stocking. Not to mention the narrative is always "flawed chaotic heroes reaching for diversity vs righteous orderly villains reaching for perfection".
Very well said, I love it! Is that phrase yours?

Characters with that apparent unreasonability (while progressively demonstrating what is instead a knack for a totally subjective and stubborn rationale that in the end finds its way) Mr. Imaishi & Co. usually push for could definitely feel immature for many, but at the same time show such a true conviction at face value you sometimes can't feel anything but total earnest for them sometimes. That kind of resolute compromise with certain stances, without being voluble, and taking the steps to represent them as is can be, in my opinion, another type of maturity (of bravely defending ideas and being honest with it).

Branduil

Stupidity is always part of the theme in Imaishi's anime; textually in both Gurren-Lagann and Panty & Stocking. Not to mention the narrative is always "flawed chaotic heroes reaching for diversity vs righteous orderly villains reaching for perfection".

Why no mention of Black Rock Shooter TV? That's definitely the stupidest show he's worked on, and the one most similar to this.

Dresden

I don't mean this as a defense of Imaishi, just that in the end we don't know the extent of his input, and Okada never needed any help on being dumb.

/XX/

Lampshading. It's supposed to be stupid in order to convey stupidity is like being boring in order to convey boringness.

I wouldn't always entirely trust things characters say, tho, unless the writing in question is supposed to be awful by turning them into mouthpieces I guessssssss.
This called "stupidity" seems like a form of enlightenment in a similar way Karl Pilkington is a visionary of our 'information' era! :-D

Also, I think that quote from FLCL of a self-aware insert moment or comment from the authors (although those OVAs were actually plagued with those) is a little out of context to be used (and judged) like that.

7Th

Stupid is probably the wrong word to use considering the cleverness in Imaishi's work; it's more of a defense of shamelessness and "not taking things seriously".

Dresden

Not really feeling the trailer. Generic generalized complaint: doesn't have the swag or style of his earlier shows.

Branduil

I'd feel a lot better about the PV if not for that awful outfit. Is she seriously going to wear that for all of the fight scenes?

duckroll

PV was okay I guess. Nothing really special. It looks like we already expected it to look, except with more stills, and a really fucking stupid uniform armor. It's tacky and ugly. Ugh. I like the classroom scenes. Wish the entire show was about Mako and Ryuuko instead. :/

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Woah that design is.....The thing is though I kinda like it and I kind of don't. Don't know maybe if the character was older I'd be fine with it but as of now I can't say I'm fond of it. Still watching though if I get the chance.
Oh Japan....

Dresden

It feels a lot more over-stylized than Gurren-Lagann.

Not up to something like Pantsu or Dead Leaves. Lacks the swag of TTGL. Weird clashing tones. Some heavy saturated imagery, then humor, like, is Imaishi going to handle this well? I kinda doubt it, and I actually like his work. It looks dumb as fuck as usual but something about it makes me think that they wanted to do more.

This is pretty generic commentary and it's hard to say anything more without actually watching the show. The PV just feels off - I hope the actual show turns out well.

Branduil

Yeah I don't know how well I can expect Imaishi to balance themes of oppression and man's inhumanity to man against wacky highschool hijinks. Or a hero wearing a stripper outfit.

Jex

Right off the bat I think it's worth pointing out that this is a very, very poorly cut PV (which isn't all that unusual). Rather than simply lacking rhythm or flow, like many poor trailers, I feel it's actually painfully bad in terms of stopping and starting and then going nowhere. It really just felt like a collection of random scenes (which they probably were) smashed up against each other which causes the colors/designs/tone/motion to clash really badly. It really demonstrates the series in a negative light as a result and therefore I won't try and judge the end product by this trailer.

I don't like the look of all those stills either but I don't know if that's going to be indicative of the final work.

The only thing I can say for certain is that everyone complaining about the costume was right and it truly looks tacky in motion. It's a shame because some of the other design work is great.

Lest it be forgotten, some people in the anime industry actually know how to cut a trailer, but apparently not that many: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2H_FsmxWzc

Jarmel

Banned
In one of those shots, the costume looks worse than the fucking concept art. Sigh. It's just something that I'm gonna have to adjust to.

7Th

Lacks the swag of TTGL.

Really? The dialogue is easily as cool.

Weird clashing tones. Some heavy saturated imagery, then humor, like, is Imaishi going to handle this well?

I don't think the tones felt particularly clashy; the comedy bits fit right in with the rest of the atmosphere. It's never completely serious and the comedy just adds to the whole "low-end classroom with no hopes for the future" thing.

NotLiquid

I was hoping that the animation for her suit assembly would feel less tacky. It's less Gurren Lagann and more magical girl. Kind of a bummer.

I still hope we'll see some good action angles and such. I think the uniform has the potential to look great given the circumstances but the PV isn't instilling me with too much confidence. Hoping for the best.

/XX/

I don't think the tones felt particularly clashy; the comedy bits fit right in with the rest of the atmosphere. It's never completely serious and the comedy just adds to the whole "low-end classroom with no hopes for the future" thing.
He he, was thinking on that classroom from episode 6 of P&SwG as I read this you wrote, although that was more like just shunning the annoying geeks rathers than a more generally socialized thing as this seems to be.

Crocodile

I also think the PV was cut a bit awkwardly and there seemed to be more stills than I was expecting but otherwise I very much liked what I saw. I LOVE Ryuuko's voice, can't say that enough.

abadguy

Banned
Suit looks cool in motion. I think it's funny how they show the main character blushing as she changes into it as if embarrassed by the look of it, while still trying to be badass. Satsuki's voice sounds fucking glorious! Can't wait for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom