• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Freaks From Outerspace Wii U - CG Trailer, weewoo EARLY FRIGGIN' SCREENS weewo

I think the game simply looks "ok".
The concept sounds really fun though.

But I'm most encouraged by what this means - Ubi making some original games on WiiU.
Not just quick shovelware type stuff, but this and Assassin's.

Bodes well for 3rd party support, imo.

Now just have a system-wide online system FFS.

Mojojo

Could be interesting, I don't get the (very) early hate. Exclusive, original IP, FPS genre that was very lacking on Nintendo consoles. I want to believe.

Vinci

Danish
Hey, look, a shooter with a sense of humor. Nice. I kind of like the idea of setting up little bastards to run over and eat my friends. Might have to give it a try.

I won't be buying the console on launch this time but this game looks interesting. I don't know about anyone else but I am intrigued by the idea of occasionally moving about in the real world to look around the game world. That has many gameplay possibilities.

Nocebo

Vinci said:
Hey, look, a shooter with a sense of humor. Nice. I kind of like the idea of setting up little bastards to run over and eat my friends. Might have to give it a try.
Indeed, this feature has my interest as well. Sounds like something the significant other would get a kick out of too.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Are those Rabbids from another dimension?

This could turn up good, screens are probably from pre-alpha phase....

antonz

DrM said:
Are those Rabbids from another dimension?

This could turn up good, screens are probably from pre-alpha phase....
Oh they are for sure. Ubisoft commented on the fact the game was no here near ready to be shown but Nintendo pressed them to do it so concept ideas could be presented.

Amir0x

Banned
Buckethead said:
I think the game simply looks "ok".
The concept sounds really fun though.

But I'm most encouraged by what this means - Ubi making some original games on WiiU.
Not just quick shovelware type stuff, but this and Assassin's.

Bodes well for 3rd party support, imo.

Now just have a system-wide online system FFS.

They spent $12,000,000 making Red Steel for the original Wii, so I think Assassin's Creed is a better indicator that third party support is back. It means devs are gonna be able to do the multiplatform thing, just like Nintendo intended. And that was one of the most critical failings of the original Wii, so it's definitely an important step.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm Ok with this game, my kinda game, sod the macho space marines (except Aliens colonial Marines), give me some good old fashioned twisted insanity and gore, make the game play fun is the main thing..but yeah from the trailer I am digging it

Antagon

Amir0x said:
They spent $12,000,000 making Red Steel for the original Wii, so I think Assassin's Creed is a better indicator that third party support is back. It means devs are gonna be able to do the multiplatform thing, just like Nintendo intended. And that was one of the most critical failings of the original Wii, so it's definitely an important step.

I'd say the fact that THQ ported Darksiders II in 5 weeks, with it being their first WiiU project, tells enough about multiplatform games on the system.

antonz

If this gets the time to cook in the oven that Red Steel wasn't given it could be something special on the system. Red Steel was something that if it had another 6 months or so of development could have really come out leagues better.

Basically if Ubisoft doesn't rush this I think it has potential to be a quirky shooter that will stand out by not just being another Military shooter.

Truth101

Banned
antonz said:
If this gets the time to cook in the oven that Red Steel wasn't given it could be something special on the system. Red Steel was something that if it had another 6 months or so of development could have really come out leagues better.

Basically if Ubisoft doesn't rush this I think it has potential to be a quirky shooter that will stand out by not just being another Military shooter.

Well it has about 12 to 13 months, as I'm guessing the Wii U will launch June/July of next year.

Amir0x

Banned
Antagon said:
I'd say the fact that THQ ported Darksiders II in 5 weeks, with it being their first WiiU project, tells enough about multiplatform games on the system.

Did they say that? Neat. They should have shown the Wii U version then

antonz

Amir0x said:
Apparently Nintendo told them no showing it off at E3.

Nintendo seems to be totally focused on the controller right now

Truth101

Banned
Amir0x said:

They wanted to, but Nintendo told them not to.

Darksiders II, which developer Vigil spent five weeks building for Wii U in anticipation of a reveal at E3.

but they [Nintendo] decided not to have full games shown in the booth

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-09-thq-has-darksiders-ii-running-on-wii-u

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433255

Amir0x said:

Not a good idea - being able to get the game across to the system in just over a month is one thing, but getting it running smoothly, adding whatever new functionality will get it standing apart from the PS3/360 versions and polishing the game up with whatever the Wii U can offer graphically beyond the HD Twins is quite another.

Better to hold it back, especially if showing it in a working but unoptimised and unfinished state is going to be counterproductive.

beje

Banned
antonz said:

We wish. I kind of miss the old days of whacky, original and imaginative FPS's (Blood, Duke Nukem, TimeSplitters, Sin, Shogo MAD, Half Life, No One Lives Forever...). Things started going downhill when they started taking themselves too seriously with "generic WWII shooter" followed by "bald space marines" and "clonic modern military". Nowadays only Valve and some Tier-B/small/almost-indie developers seem to understand what made the genre good and fun.

[Nintex]

antonz said:

Yep, I think they're further along than they want us to think. Especially since Ghost Recon was also playable on the show floor. This thing will hit shortly after March 2012 for sure. I think Edge was right on the money with the 'june' prediction and Nintendo showed nothing for the Wii beyond Q4 2011.

Morokh

Has some kind of a unique style for an FPS (Bad alien Rabbids WTF ? xD ), don't rush it, pack it with a ton of content, and you have something Ubi.

Truth101

Banned
VisanidethDM said:
The biggest news for me is that the Wii U has apparently swooned Amir0x. Interesting times ahead.

Why Amir0x has always loved Nintendo, he just doesn't like a lot of the choices they make.

Killer_Freaks_screen_versus_mode-1024x518.jpg

Press Release said:
London, UK – June 9, 2011 – Today, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Ubisoft announced the creation of a new intellectual property being developed exclusively for Nintendo Wii UTM. Created by Ubisoft Montpelier, Killer Freaks from Outer Space is a revolutionary new first person shooter (FPS) and will release in conjunction with the launch of the Nintendo Wii UTM.

The groundbreaking new console and controller from Nintendo are the inspirations for a whole new take on the FPS genre in Killer Freaks.

“When we realized the potential of what Nintendo was offering by creating a tactile controller, we were off and running immediately,” said Xavier Poix, managing director of Ubisoft’s France studios. “Having that extra screen in the hand of the player allows us boundless innovation that ultimately gives the player a more beautiful game, a faster game interface, a personalized game experience, and so much more.”

In the game, vicious and insane hordes of Killer Freaks from Outer Space have invaded the planet. As one of the world’s last survivors, the player must stalk the Killer Freaks across the globe to determine who will rule the earth.

“When Nintendo launches a new console, it’s always a big milestone for the industry and a great opportunity for creativity,” said Yves Guillemot, chief executive office at Ubisoft. “Killer Freaks will make the most of all the fantastic capabilities of the Wii U and provide hardcore players with a gaming experience like no other they have seen or played before.”

Effect

antonz said:

Sorta sounds like Nintendo might be preparing an actual event to showcase more of the system in the coming months or weeks would be better. An event that can be completely about the 3DS so they can have the media cycle to themselves. They typically do that right?

Effect said:
Sorta sounds like Nintendo might be preparing an actual event to showcase more of the system in the coming months or weeks would be better. An event that can be completely about the 3DS so they can have the media cycle to themselves. They typically do that right?

They'll have an event in October at the very least. Maybe before then as well.

That looks fine for local multiplayer, but really, if the game was online, the same could be accomplished with two Wiimotes+nunchuks.

ShinNL

Shiggy said:
Would've preferred this one...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NApza43fQk

Btw, this game was even titled Killer Rabbids in pre-production ;)
Woah, that looks really interesting and I suddenly thought of a new functionality for the tablet controller. You know how you sometimes get these chase scenes in games and you basically don't see anything front of your character because you're looking back shooting stuff? Problem solved with character view on TV + lock-on view on controller. Let the epic chases begin!

They shouldn't have announced this game. The final version will probably be really good, but there is literally no benefit to the final product by showing it now. It looks very rough.

Show it when the game is more polished. Until then, just stick to the line, "Ubisoft is working on a Wii U exclusive title."

I really like the artstyle and creatures in this game. It's on the level of a Critters style humour. Not interested in the WiiU type controls though.

Shiggy said:
Btw, this game was even titled Killer Rabbids in pre-production ;)

Any rough timeframe for how long this has been in production? I'd guess that Ubisoft were first in line for devkits and info on the new system, but it would be interesting to put a timeframe on it.

def sim

The game looks fine to me. It also helps me believe the WiiU is as capable or better than the PS360 hardware wise.

Truth101 said:
Why Amir0x has always loved Nintendo, he just doesn't like a lot of the choices they make.

Exactly.
I tend to agree on him in his view of recent Nintendo policies. I have no faith in the Wii U. Amir0x raging at Nintendo is best Amir0x.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Dynamite Shikoku said:
This new Wii U controller is looking about as useful as 3D is in the 3DS

I can already see this guy in 1996: "This new analog stick is looking about as useful as the 3D is in the Virtual Boy"

Neo Child

Banned
Left 4 Dead would be cool with this, the one wiht the controller placing zombies & specials and drawing paths for them!

Nocebo

This could open the door for local multiplayer games that include "game master" type gameplay. The more I think about it the cooler it seems.
Me and a few friends sometimes play a board game called "Mansion of Madness", it's set in the Cthulhu mythos universe and plays in a relatively small location, like a mansion. Anyway there's a max of 4 good guy players and one game master who controls the dark side.
The good guys pick a scenario to play, however the game master picks the specifics of the scenario (where the objectives spawn etc.)
During gameplay the game master basically gets to spawn monsters and inflict harm on players through events (like he can create illusions that make players lose their sanity) he initiates. To do these actions he has to spend points which he accumulates over time and through other means. The players cooperate to solve puzzles and go through the rooms to find the objectives and move the story along.

I can see a similar system working for a real time game. The players could be dropped into a scenario of their choosing where they can freely explore, where they need to find the solution to the objective while the time ticks away the evil player gains currency he can spend on making the lives of the other players miserable.

Locally this is only possible with an additional screen. But like someone mentioned for an online game something like this would already be possible. However I think the additional screen on the WiiU controler will always be a helpful addition, if not for displaying more information at the same time than you normally could than for an easier to use interface for a game master style role. I mean you could show the view points of all the players and what they're doing while the wiiu controller shows the map and the options you have, I think this would be a preferable display setup if you were to play online or not.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
This new Wii U controller is looking about as useful as 3D is in the 3DS
Hello person with zero imagination. What's it like having no imagination? Also do you see colors or is everything shades of gray? Do you often find you want to kill yourself? Just wondering.

Shiggy

Cosmonaut X said:
Any rough timeframe for how long this has been in production? I'd guess that Ubisoft were first in line for devkits and info on the new system, but it would be interesting to put a timeframe on it.

I don't know, just saw the thing about "Killer Rabbids" from the production company for the CG trailer. Ubi loves to do them early on ;)
But then again, who knows whether this title even started out on Wii U?

rezuth

Pretty impressive for being made in a couple of months, I would have expected it to be far more rough looking.

It would appear as if most of the WiiTab's benefits will come from asymmetrical gameplay, which is best shown through local multiplayer (i.e. two players on the same console).

For single-player and even online games, I think a remote with pointer functionality still has more innovations to offer than a dual analog controller with a touch screen.

Top Bottom