• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Timu

QE5yFM5.jpg

yk3p.jpg

l4zf.jpg

vns4.jpg

k5b9.jpg
tumblr_mwbjerMln81sn70e1o1_500.gif

...It's like a dream come true...getting that day one!!!

I'm going to be taking screenshots of that!!!

So I started playing this game a bit yesterday and, like in almost every other fighting game I've ever played, I sucked very badly. However, that's changed as I just went through the first dozen or so lessons in the Dojo which is really well done and helps break things down for a complete fighting game idiot like myself. With that newfound knowledge I now have 2 wins online and have even pulled off an Ultra combo with Thunder, therefore I now love this game.

Grisby

Bought it off all of the positive impressions I've heard and videos I;ve seen. Strangely,this was definitely one game that pushed me into buying an X1. I've been digging into Dead Or Alive 5 for the better part of a year and some cents.

So yeah, this fighting system is quite a change. I only did a bit of practice and one versus fight. Tomorrow, I will start in the dojo mode of which I assume will teach me how to fight? Gonna main Orchid I think.

So many particles though and I love that the characters are so imposingly large on screen. I feel like I'm 11 or something, back at put putt and playing the KI arcade machine.

The pause music is soothing, so good.

I'm glad DH listened and will make classic Jago slimmer and less buff than the "Gears of War/Jason Voorhess" look he currently has

I hope they do the same thing to Chief Thunder. He doesn't even look human in the new game.

Mastamind

Am i just bad (or my controller messed up) or is it difficult to hit diagonals on the x1 pad?

Doing a QCF/QCB it in practice the diagonal shows up about 1 in 10 times.

Durock

Something concerning here. Could you all check your achievements? Specifically the one where you need 2000 matches to unlock? I've been playing a ton of matches both online and offline with Orchid and my total is at 0.

kodecraft

I'm glad DH listened and will make classic Jago slimmer and less buff than the "Gears of War/Jason Voorhess" look he currently has

I hope they do the same thing to Chief Thunder. He doesn't even look human in the new game.

Dude, awesome description of Jago's current look. I was scraatching my head as to who he looks like??....Jason MuthaF'ing Voorhees. I hated the the art style of SSF4 with their buff "Gears" type characters.

I'm all for more lean protagonist in all genres of games. I hope TJ Combo is slim and agile hope he has some "Mayweather" defense in him.

Ok guys, it seems like people are happy with KI so I'm thinking I might pick it up. I'm not terribly into fighting games, but is it worth it? How are people liking it so far? How is the multiplayer? Is it super laggy or ok? Thanks!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ok guys, it seems like people are happy with KI so I'm thinking I might pick it up. I'm not terribly into fighting games, but is it worth it? How are people liking it so far? How is the multiplayer? Is it super laggy or ok? Thanks!

download the demo/base game and give it a shot yourself :)

Nemesis_

It's very fun! It's a good balance of accessible but there's also depth if you understand the mechanics of it all.

Try the demo and play the Dojo mode if it's available. Teaches you the basics. If you like that, then buy everyone. The Ultra pack is expensive but only worth it if you're a KI nut and want a HD rerelease of the first game. Otherwise get the Combo Breaker pack.

I have yet to try online as I've just been working out stuff so I can't comment on that.

Krujo

Banned
Apologies if this question has been answered already but where do you find the music that you purchase of the KI store? I bought a song from the old killer instinct and I can't find it anywhere in game.

Jaeger

I don't see it. And I don't know why people prefer the stripper gear with the exposed midriff and rips 'n tears everywhere. Not very monk-like or ninja-like.

And his "bulkiness" fits the game's art style. He's nowhere near the exaggerated proportions of a Gears male.

kodecraft

I don't see it. And I don't know why people prefer the stripper gear with the exposed midriff and rips 'n tears everywhere. Not very monk-like or ninja-like.

And his "bulkiness" fits the game's art style. He's nowhere near the exaggerated proportions of a Gears male.

These guys don't need to be buff as hell. SSF4 has buff characters to please us gamers in the west, due to games like Gears' influence. I for one don't like that.

I like the slimmer Jago and the "stripper gear" (I guess you see it like that) brings nostalgia. The new Jago look is cool too.

Grimsen

This game sounds great.

I want a bundle that replaces Kinect with a Fightstick and KI. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

C'mon MS, do it.

Jaeger

These guys don't need to be buff as hell. SSF4 has buff characters to please us gamers in the west, due to games like Gears' influence. I for one don't like that.

I like the slimmer Jago and the "stripper gear" (I guess you see it like that) brings Nostalgia. The new Jago look is cool too.

One thing the new Killer Instinct has going for it over the original is actual game design. The original lacked that very much.

We have a Skeleton, a Cyborg with Laser Blades, a Black Boxer complete with American Flag clothing, a Wolf, etc. etc.

Jago IMO doesn't look exaggerated. He looks like someone who fights Gargoyles, Cyborgs, Ice Aliens, and Fire People for a living.

kodecraft

One thing the new Killer Instinct has going for it over the original is actual game design. The original lacked that very much.

We have a Skeleton, a Cyborg with Laser Blades, a Black Boxer complete with American Flag clothing, a Wolf, etc. etc.

Jago IMO doesn't look exaggerated. He looks like someone who fights Gargoyles, Cyborgs, Ice Aliens, and Fire People for a living.

Why mention the race?

TJ Combo in KI 2 and Gold had camouflage cargo pants and a tank no USA colored clothing. Since DH is redesigning the characters I doubt this "black boxer" will have the same USA flag clothing.

Jaeger

Why mention the race?

TJ Combo in KI 2 and Gold had camouflage cargo pants and a tank no USA colored clothing. Since DH is redesigning the characters I doubt this "black boxer" will have the same USA flag clothing.

Because in the 90's, a boxer who was black was the generic go to for fighting games. His race was why the design is boring. Call it Mike Tyson Syndrom.

kodecraft

Because in the 90's, a boxer who was black was the generic go to for fighting games. His race was why the design is boring.

Nah, ninja-type characters in fighting games are the generic go to characters in fighting games. His race doesn't make the design boring at all.

def sim

I'm enjoying this game a whole lot. Zoning with Glacius can be a lot of fun; I just need to figure out which is his best anti-air. Puddle uppercut or back st.fierce.

Jaeger

Nah, ninja-type characters in fighting games are the generic go to characters in fighting games. His race doesn't make the design boring at all.

It is. Most of the fighters had a boxer, who was black, and went too hard at a guy in the ring, ala Mike Tyson. He was banned from boxing and enter this tournament to get back his glory blah blah blah.

I'm pretty sure you went totally off base with that, singling out "Black Boxer" like that, but as black man myself, them going that route with 99% of the characters with boxing gloves was boring.

And the go to actually seemed to be "Karate Practicing White-Gi" guys, not ninjas.

kodecraft

It is. Most of the fighters had a boxer, who was black, and went too hard at a guy in the ring, ala Mike Tyson. He was banned from boxing and enter this tournament to get back his glory blah blah blah.

I'm pretty sure you went totally off base with that, singling out "Black Boxer" like that, but as black man myself, them going that route with 99% of the characters with boxing gloves was boring.

And the go to actually seemed to be "Karate Practicing White-Gi" guys, not ninjas.

I got ya. I agree. Good stuff.

Why mention the race?

nitpicking here but TJ Combo still had his USA tank in KI 2/Gold.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
There is a pic of Spinal in-game, he and his stage look damn good.

And no dont ask.

Mononoke

Banned
Feel dumb for asking, but I'm having a hard time doing an Ultra move with Orchid. In the tutorial it defaults to Jago. His ultra could be completed by using the LB. What is Orchid's single button equivalent for the three kick icons?

EDIT: Nevermind checked the controller options, says LT. Hmmm wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Double EDIT: I'm an idiot, need to use a combo linker.

RBH

I know it is early but any word on if MS is pleased with sales of this game?

I saw this in the Xbox launch thread, but is the Achievements page on the Xbox website perhaps a way to check on the number of players who have the game so far (thus a way to gauge the sales numbers)?

XboxOneAchievements.jpg

Miles X

it does look pretty good! wonder what his instinct is

PM me please!

Edit - Found it!

I saw this in the Xbox launch thread, but is the Achievements page on the Xbox website perhaps a way to check on the number of players who have the game so far (thus a way to gauge the sales numbers)?

XboxOneAchievements.jpg

Christ even if half of those are free downloads that's still a 35% attach rate!!

Edit - Wait is that KI? The date is 21st May ...

Keeping myself busy with listening to some of the songs from the game. I really need Monday to come like right now.

Really wish I could be playing with you guys right now. :(

Izuna

Banned
This game is AMAZING! I ran outside and picked up another controller from Argos the second I saw it running and proceeded to kick my big brother's butt (never happens on first-time fighters).

IMHO it shares so much similarity with Street Fighter it's amazing. Tickthrows, frame-traps, clean and guaranteed anti-airs...

I would make a guide for this game (like I did with Ibuki in SF4) but I think the Dojo pretty much teaches you everything you need to know.

Online is pretty easy atm, I need to rank up a bunch first, but I am loving the combo system and honestly so far I like this more than SF4. It doesn't have anything completely stupid.

Though I'm still a scrub at this, so anyone wants to play me hit me up, Perfect Izuna.

Top Bottom