• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - Helghan TRAILER (Must See)

Dibbz

016jf5.png

Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaake?!

I can't believe how good this looks.

FirewalkR

Iain Howe said:
The ISA didn't pack masks, because they're not planning to spend much time on the surface of Helghan. The whole operation is supposed to take less than 30 days.

So, does this mean that, assuming the operation will take more than 30 days, the ISA will have to "borrow" some Helghast masks later in the game? :D

-Winnie-

Wait, so civilian Helghast all wear masks too?

I really hope we get a closer look at the Helghast in KZ2... There was so much missed opportunity in the other games, I reckon.

FirewalkR said:
So, does this mean that, assuming the operation will take more than 30 days, the ISA will have to "borrow" some Helghast masks later in the game? :D

Or they'll just start dropping like flies.

neight

Banned
Wait a sec, so they wear masks all the time? I'd imagine inside their buildings are at least filtered. And how is it that they adapted to their planet when they were protected from it by wearing masks? Ah, it's best not to think about this game's story what's important is that the game looks really cool.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Or they'll just start dropping like flies.
After 38 long days of restless battle, the war is won, the team finally rests, awaiting the rescue teams arrival in nine short hours. Dawn rises, the rescue team reaches the surface, the camera goes wide and you see the dead bodies of your team mates.

If anything even like that happens, I'll be annoyed.

camineet

Banned
Holy Shit. Can you imagine if PS3 had been somewhat more powerful, as Ken Kutaragi wanted it. Instead of 35x PS2, if it had been the low-end of what Ken & IBM agreed on, 100x PS2, a better GPU (G80 based) and had 1 GB RAM, just think how much more amazing Killzone 2 could've looked. A bit more detail, more AA, 1080p, 60 FPS.

Well guess what, that's what PS4 will probably be, a console that can do near-CG quality graphics in realtime. The inner graphics whore in me just came. :D

StuBurns

Banned
camineet said:
Holy Shit. Can you imagine if PS3 had been somewhat more powerful, as Ken Kutaragi wanted it. Instead of 35x PS2, if it had been the low-end of what Ken & IBM agreed on, 100x PS2, a better GPU (G80 based) and had 1 GB RAM, just think how much more amazing Killzone 2 could've looked. A bit more detail, more AA, 1080p, 60 FPS.

Well guess what, that's what PS4 will probably be, a console that can do near-CG quality graphics in realtime. The inner graphics whore in me just came. :D

If the PS3 had those specs, it'd been $800 minimum, the install base would be around 3 million, Sony wouldn't be throw as much money into the development of KZ2 because no one would be buying it.

But yeah, would've been nice. KZ2 is about as good as care about though, I don't think we're going to see it go too far beyond that because budgets etc.

stuburns said:
If the PS3 had those specs, it'd been $800 minimum, the install base would be around 3 million, Sony wouldn't be throw as much money into the development of KZ2 because no one would be buying it.

But yeah, would've been nice. KZ2 is about as good as care about though, I don't think we're going to see it go too far beyond that because budgets etc.

The major cost of the game is in the development of the engine. Once the engine is built, it's easier to apply it to other applications without that massive initial budget. Tweaks and improvements on the engine shouldn't be as costly either. Plus ... while we're almost 3 years into this gen, it's only 2 years of the PS3. I'm sure there's more left to squeeze out of it. I have a feeling GOW, ICO, Uncharted 2 and some other games will also look fantastic and maybe even push the boundaries more. Which is difficult to imagine because I'm pretty blown away by what I'm seeing.

StuBurns

Banned
Fenderputty said:
The major cost of the game is in the development of the engine. Once the engine is built, it's easier to apply it to other applications without that massive initial budget. Tweaks and improvements on the engine shouldn't be as costly either. Plus ... while we're almost 3 years into this gen, it's only 2 years of the PS3. I'm sure there's more left to squeeze out of it. I have a feeling GOW, ICO, Uncharted 2 and some other games will also look fantastic and maybe even push the boundaries more.
No doubt, I really meant FAR ahead.
Like the difference between KZ1 and 2, I don't think we'll see that kind of leap ever again because the budgets won't hold it, unless gaming becomes far more popular. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Fenderputty said:
The major cost of the game is in the development of the engine. Once the engine is built, it's easier to apply it to other applications without that massive initial budget. Tweaks and improvements on the engine shouldn't be as costly either. Plus ... while we're almost 3 years into this gen, it's only 2 years of the PS3. I'm sure there's more left to squeeze out of it. I have a feeling GOW, ICO, Uncharted 2 and some other games will also look fantastic and maybe even push the boundaries more. Which is difficult to imagine because I'm pretty blown away by what I'm seeing.

Guerrilla appear in the credits for Uncharted I believe.

So I think some of the tech is already being used in other games.

I'd imagine this consumed a fair bit of the games' budget:

http://secondintention.com/clients/guerrilla

thuway

I hope Guerilla has a few more innovative features left to unveil. I remember the day Bungie unveiled the 4-player co-op for Halo 3. Come on Guerilla, I hope your holding out on some bad ass feature that will serve Crow flavored Brownie.

The game is perfect from a visual standpoint, and we know (atleast from anecdotal evidence) that the gunplay is spot on, however, I still want an innovative feature that will become synonymous in the FPS genre.

Before people jump on me - I'm not in the beta, I haven't played preview code, and I am just talking outloud. I want Killzone 2 to be the defacto FPS this gen. The graphics have been done justice, now all we need is innovativion. Or wait, is that what we will get from the Protector by Sony Liverpool :D?

StuBurns

Banned
KernelPanic said:
I'd imagine this consumed a fair bit of the games' budget:

http://secondintention.com/clients/guerrilla
We can make your game look better
They certainly do, whatever they charge, it's not enough.

thuway said:
The game is perfect from a visual standpoint, and we know (atleast from anecdotal evidence) that the gunplay is spot on, however, I still want an innovative feature that will become synonymous in the FPS genre.
Depends what you consider perfect, it feels like COD4 mixed with Fear.

Halvie

Banned
thuway said:
I hope Guerilla has a few more innovative features left to unveil. I remember the day Bungie unveiled the 4-player co-op for Halo 3. Come on Guerilla, I hope your holding out on some bad ass feature that will serve Crow flavored Brownie.

Before people jump on me - I'm not in the beta, I haven't played preview code, and I am just talking outloud. I want Killzone 2 to be the defacto FPS this gen. The graphics have been done justice, now all we need is innovativion. Or wait, is that what we will get from the Protector by Sony Liverpool :D?

As long as the multiplayer is really solid this will be my defacto fps this gen for sure. I can't believe some of the vids being posted.

Halvie

Banned
stuburns said:
They certainly do, whatever they charge, it's not enough.

Depends what you consider perfect, it feels like COD4 mixed with Fear.

How does it play like Fear? I haven't played Fear multi for a long time, but don't remember being that thrilled...

Daante

Fenderputty said:
Plus ... while we're almost 3 years into this gen, it's only 2 years of the PS3. I'm sure there's more left to squeeze out of it. I have a feeling GOW, ICO, Uncharted 2 and some other games will also look fantastic and maybe even push the boundaries more. Which is difficult to imagine because I'm pretty blown away by what I'm seeing.

FF XIII Versus says hello.. :)

StuBurns

Banned
Halvie said:
How does it play like Fear? I haven't played Fear multi for a long time, but don't remember being that thrilled...
I just feels like that, the impact of the weapons and things, the leaning, just felt like it.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
TTP said:
Do Helghasts have sex? And do they wear the mask when doing so? Besides, I haven't seen a single Helghast woman. WTF with that? I'm disappointed.

;P

The subject of Helghan sex hasn't really been gone into in any great depth, I have to be honest. The Helghast do use Gene therapy to maximise the viability of offspring and correct for unintentional mutations due to the high level of background radiation, but they don't grow clone armies in vitro - so they do have to make babies the natural way.

As for having seen or not seen Helghast women - under all that armour and padding, how do you know you HAVEN'T seen them? ;)

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Fenderputty said:

Do not underestimate the hugely increased cost of Art asset production in Next Gen / NuGen / Current Gen game development.

That shit be crazy, yo.

Dante

Iain Howe said:
Do not underestimate the hugely increased cost of Art asset production in Next Gen / NuGen / Current Gen game development.

That shit be crazy, yo.

Thanks for answering all the questions in here. Can't wait to play the crap out of this game :)

I think after Killzone2 the next major graphical leap for this gen consoles will be Rage. How ID gets multiple gigabytes of textures to run on a machine with 256mb vidoeram is pure witchcraft =)

Crayon

TheRagnCajun said:
I think after Killzone2 the next major graphical leap for this gen consoles will be Rage. How ID gets multiple gigabytes of textures to run on a machine with 256mb vidoeram is pure witchcraft =)

Rage had a better chance before they hobbled it to 2-dvd capacity. Carmack made pretty clear that lowest common denominator philosophy is dominating Rage's design.

Raistlin

TheRagnCajun said:
How ID gets multiple gigabytes of textures to run on a machine with 256mb vidoeram is pure witchcraft =)

That's the funny thing. Megatexturing, at least conceptually, isn't really complex.

More of an 'outside of the box' sort of thing.

Zen

Banned
I never make a habit of liking vid blog esque Youtube, but these two guys (if you can get past the intro and stomach the fact that you're watching some guys on youtube who have a 'show') bring up some VERY good points about the Beta. Balance issues, tactics that are exploited, etc.

I really hope that all of you whoa re in the Beta are talking about these issues, and any ones that they missed, and are bringing it up to Guerrilla, and I really hope that Guerrilla is listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWTRKX5A2vA

I knew something like the Sniper Rifle was tuned wrong when I saw someone running around with it and going on a from the hip killing spree, it sounds like no matter what the Sniper Rifle is 1 hit kill.

Rocket spam being fire and forget etc.

I know that people who are in the Beta can't talk about it, but I hope that things like this are being addressed.

Oh and it's an excuse to see some more footage.

Halvie

Banned
Zen said:
I never make a habit of liking vid blog esque Youtube, but these two guys (if you can get past the intro and stomach the fact that you're watching some guys on youtube who have a 'show') bring up some VERY good points about the Beta. Balance issues, tactics that are exploited, etc.

I really hope that all of you whoa re in the Beta are talking about these issues, and any ones that they missed, and are bringing it up to Guerrilla, and I really hope that Guerrilla is listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWTRKX5A2vA

I knew something like the Sniper Rifle was tuned wrong when I saw someone running around with it and going on a from the hip killing spree, it sounds like no matter what the Sniper Rifle is 1 hit kill.

Things like the Rocket Launcher seem to easy to "fire and forget", maybe if you have one you should move a lot slower to prevent room rocket spam fly by?

I know that people who are in the Beta can't talk about it, but I hope that things like this are being addressed.

The "Spawn" marker sounds cool, but hearing that "enemies will camp it with Rocket Launchers" makes it sound a little off. I don't like the idea of weapons just respawning for the next guy after a player has picked it up, but that might be me.

Oh and it's an excuse to see some more footage.

urgh best be fixed...gonna be so pissed if it is plagued with lame "bugs" like that.

StuBurns

Banned
Zen said:
Oh they're absolutely not, but they don't show their username that I can see.
YouTube hand over account details in copyright infringement cases.
I bet they would for breaking an NDA as well. And a couple of people involved with the game have posted in this thread.

They're morons anyway, an open beta is coming.

Zen

Banned
Well, if that's what happens, that's what happens, they broke NDA afterwall. I'm not condoning them breaking NDA, but I doubt that they put their PSN information in their Youtube account.

I suppose they could see if the Youtube account e-mail matched any PSN account.

NeoUltima

Halvie said:
urgh best be fixed...gonna be so pissed if it is plagued with lame "bugs" like that.
Good thing they have until Feb then..I really feel they would have pushed it out this year if it wasn't for R2.

StuBurns

Banned
Zen said:
Well, if that's what happens, that's what happens, they broke NDA afterwall. I'm not condoning them breaking NDA, but I doubt that they put their PSN information in their Youtube account.
I hope they get busted and fined.

They don't like the NDA, don't agree to it.

This isn't like people making small passing comments about it on here, the odd "it's awesome" isn't going to matter. But this just takes the piss.

Zen

Banned
I'm honestly not sure if your anger is just about them breaking NDA or if it's that they had complaints that I highlighted. One of them said "It's going to be the shooter for the PS3 it's that good", "This is a great game, they need to have an open Beta so more people can see how great it is" etc.

They spend just as much time saying that it's great as they do talking about balance issues.

They even dropped a cliche line about Killzone and a certain Microsoft franchise, near the end.

Although if your anger is solely centered around being irked by a lake of respect for authority, then this doesn't matter.

StuBurns

Banned
Zen said:
I'm honestly not sure if your anger is just about them breaking NDA or if it's taht they had complaints taht I highlighted. One of them said "It's going to be the shooter for the PS3 it's that good", "This is a great game, they need to have an open Beta so more people can see how great it is" etc.
I have no problem with their comments. I have a problem with them breaking the NDA.

It's not even at open Beta yet. Guerrilla aren't happy with it being made public.

And I just think it's a scummy thing to do. Agree to something with no intention of following it. What if Sony sees this, decides they have to control the PR more tightly and cancel the Beta. That could happen, and these cocks have spoiled it for the people who did stick to their word.

Halvie

Banned
NeoUltima said:
Good thing they have until Feb then..I really feel they would have pushed it out this year if it wasn't for R2.

Yeah I know they still have a couple months, but from all the console betas I have been in I can't say a game has changed much from the time of the beta until it hits retail....hoping this is the exception.

Zen

Banned
Well granted there's already a decent amount of Beta Footage pretty much everywhere (Youtube etc). I doubt that they're going to cancel the Beta over two guys praising the game. NDA violations are a fact of life when it comes to video games.

I'm not trying to be a kill joy (EVERYONE is saying that the game is great). I can remove the post if people are bothered by it.

J-Rzez

Though that intro was horrid, there was some decent info there. It sounds like it'll be a great break from SOCOM for me when I want a more arcadey shooter. I think that was the first time I heard it plays like CoD4 though. But as long as there's depth to game modes and especially community features, with the more "weight" to the gameplay, then I think it'll turn out just fine. I'm sure weapons will end up getting balanced more as there's lots of time left for that.

I remember reading that you'd have points to gamble in clan matches though, now that is hot.

On a side note, really sucks I never got invited to a beta like this (outside of WotLK). I've been there since day one with the PS1, and I never get into squat. I'm really into, pretty decent at, and think I know a bit about shooters. Yet, I never get invited. : /

StuBurns

Banned
Zen said:
Well granted there's already a decent amount of Beta Footage pretty much everywhere (Youtube etc). I doubt that they're going to cancel the Beta over two guys praising the game. NDA violations are a fact of life when it comes to video games.

I'm not trying to be a kill joy (EVERYONE is saying that the game is great). I can remove the post if people are bothered by it.
Not at all, I'm sure a lot of people want to see, and you haven't done anything wrong posting it.

I am equally disgusted with everyone else who is breaking the NDA, this was just the first time I've bothered to reply because it was done in such an open way, with them even mocking the NDA at the start.

Zen

Banned
I think my anticipation of Killzone 2 is overriding my kneejerk reaction to such things (when people are totally overt and casual about it). :lol

thuway

A. Those assholes on the youtube video need to be sued to shreds.

B. Obviously the game will be unbalanced, hence the need for the Beta.

C. I really hope the game innovates further than just COD4 meets Team Fortress. I have a gut feeling Guerilla is hiding some bad ass feature. :D

Forsete

J-Rzez said:
On a side note, really sucks I never got invited to a beta like this (outside of WotLK). I've been there since day one with the PS1, and I never get into squat. I'm really into, pretty decent at, and think I know a bit about shooters. Yet, I never get invited. : /

Where do you reside?

Zen said:
I'm honestly not sure if your anger is just about them breaking NDA or if it's that they had complaints that I highlighted. One of them said "It's going to be the shooter for the PS3 it's that good", "This is a great game, they need to have an open Beta so more people can see how great it is" etc.

They spend just as much time saying that it's great as they do talking about balance issues.

They even dropped a cliche line about Killzone and a certain Microsoft franchise, near the end.

Although if your anger is solely centered around being irked by a lake of respect for authority, then this doesn't matter.

They are overwhelmingly positive but do raise some good points.

Personally, spawn killing is an issue in all games, but I think KZ2 handles it better than most. If you don't want to be spawn killed, you use the classes to get out of your rut; placing sentry turrets around your base, having the tactician place spawn grenades in another are of the map. I do not agree with his discussion about the spawn grenade color. It should let the enemy know where you are spawning from, so they can defend and attack that point if they feel it is a threat. The main idea is: A tactician can place a good spawn point, or he can place a bad one that is prone to being camped easily or is out in the middle of all the action. You have to be intelligent with your spawn points.

Most of the time, spawn killing is the result of an uneven match. Too many players on one team, and not enough on another. This happens with any game. And in the beta, an uneven match happens too frequently because of the lobby system.

I'm not sure what to think about the sniper fire. I think it's fine, but maybe if you hit the upper 1/3 of the body it is a 1 hit kill, and the lower 2/3s require 2.

Rocket launchers is another issue, and I haven't addressed my concerns to GG about it, but here's how I think it should work: NO ENEMY should spawn with a rocket launcher. That is too easy, and makes the gameplay too chaotic. Instead, what they should do is have the rocket launcher appear when an engineer 'fixes' and creates an ammo depot with his secondary ability. So this ammo depot, which are preset on the maps, will allow you to pick up a rocket launcher and have ammo for that rocket launcher, but if you die, you have to go back to that location to get it again. This would provide for a unique gameplay mechanic, because not only would it make the engineer's secondary ability much more useful (as it currently stands, it's not used a whole lot), but it would also set up new 'choke points' that add more strategy; the game could then focus on trying to hold a position with rocket fire, which may be useful in certain situations. KILLZONE 2 BETA'ers: what do you think of this idea as a solution to the rocket launcher?

Their complaints about "people not playing the game right, team killing, etc" can be solved by a proper ranked matchmaking system that motivates people to play the game competitively. You get the same thing in Halo 3 if you join an unranked playlist. But if you're playing with similarly ranked people, this is almost never an issue.

morlock

Private Hoffman said:
I do not have access to that section, or else I would.

I don't think I discussed any details that weren't already known at E3 in terms of the classes.
Ok. I thought all beta-players had access to it. Have you linked your PSN-account on killzone.com?

Top Bottom