• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Grayman said:
It is hard to tell a good story in the middle of a video game and telling it through other means in the middle of the game is not good either. I did enjoy reading the time line as well.
I know, but at least it's there for the few who care.
Bugs me that all the reviews say the story is standard and sucks :[

Re-read the timeline again. Where is my book!?

DoomGyver

2,500+ views already, all the Killzone regulars who were banned the other day drooling over the OP. :lol

DON'T ASK FOR PMs lol

Zen

Banned
Hazaro said:
The game doesn't go into any of it. At all.

But it's there.

Which is why I am disappointed that they didn't do anything with it :[

You think they could of put "Intel" reports from Helghast around the levels or something to give insight for why the Helghast fight or something. Oh well. It's a dream just like an ice level or jungle level.

*Your tag needs to have 2 links now. :D

That's dissapointing to hear. Frankly I, even if they were to keep that exposition to a minium in the main game, I was rather hoping/expecting them to include a 'history' tab in the menue that contained a copy of the timeline, or even remixed it as a selectable, narrated mini movie (even if it just made decent use of still pictures with a VO).

Guerilla had an oportunity there, imo. It's a shame that they 'wasted' it.

Grayman said:
It is hard to tell a good story in the middle of a video game and telling it through other means in the middle of the game is not good either. I did enjoy reading the time line as well.

I agree, but I do think it would have been possible to at least reference various tibits from the history, if even only during quieter moments in the game akin to when this line is spoken in the game:

"Helghan use to supply energy for half the known galaxy... before Visari turned it into a war machine."

There were plenty of ways they could have given us tibits, or even smack you in the face allusions to a bigger and more complicated backdrop than the conflict we're playing in. I'm sure there MUST be some sort of factory in the game, wouldn't that have been a decent moment to allude to the sanctions the Helghast have had to suffer from the ISA? Natko could comment on the 'grey market' goods, and a small bit of expositon could happen.

Y'know, something.

Killzone 1, despite how overt it liked to be with the Hakah/Rico interplay being a comentary on racism (In fact I'm still surprised that the script had the type of language taht it did, relative to Hakah comments to Rico frequently referencing him as an 'Ape', seriously), helped, at least to me, to flesh out some of the Helghast/Vektan devide. I would have liked referencing the first extrostellar war, what caused the exodus, what not. I figure that if you run into Visari in this game, it would have been a golden moment to crystilize the history that lead to this between both sides.

Granted I haven't played the full game, I'm just going off Hazaro's post. Just some didbits here and there in the game proper, combined with a rant on the part of Visari, a sprinkle of ethical dilema at a point in the campaign, and a full copy of the timeline contained within the game, would have gone a long way in my opinion.

Full Recovery said:
2,500+ views already, all the Killzone regulars who were banned the other day drooling over the OP. :lol

DON'T ASK FOR PMs lol
I wish they didn't lol. It won't feel the same with them not posting. Today was quite boring in the other Kz2 thread.

Great job on the OP, I didn't play KZ1 so I didn't know any of the backstory. I think I won't feel as motivated killing the Helgast anymore, I can identify with their cause!

Sony has been informed about the deliverance that is this thread.

Also...

koolzowned1.gif

Mik2121

Btw, anyone here has the START SCREEN around? I'd like to see it (I know I can boot up the demo, but I'd like to have the pic here instead)

Grayman

Zen said:
I agree, but I do think it would have been possible to at least reference various tibits from the history, if even only during quieter moments in the game akin to when this line is spoken in the game:

"Helghan use to supply energy for half the known galaxy... before Visari turned it into a war machine."

There were plenty of ways they could have given us tibits, or even smack you in the face allusions to a bigger and more complicated backdrop than the conflict we're playing in. I'm sure there MUST be some sort of factory in the game, wouldn't that have been a decent moment to allude to the sanctions the Helghast have had to suffer from the ISA? Natko could comment on the 'grey market' goods, and a small bit of expositon could happen.

[snipped for brevity]
I agree with you that the timeline could have been included in the game. This may be done with links to killzone.com like the PSP game does.

I will probably go through the backstory again but what sticks out to me now is that events that happened generations in the past do not justify the helghast actions. Visari aka. space-hitler needs put down along with anyone who will emulate him.

FatalT

Banned
OK, so basically Earth is dying, people move to different planets

One company gets rich and forms it's own little sector on a planet

Earth people don't like that so they tax em and stuff, the company gets mad and starts a war

Company loses and Earth takes over it's planet and sends the company people to a crap planet

Company people get pissed on the crap planet and mutate because of the planet's crappiness and start to build up to take revenge on Earth

Big leader guy grows up and rallies the crap planet company people together to invade Earth

KILLZOWNED

The gimmick of the Helghast is that the planet Helghan is all crappy and stuff so they had to wear masks to breathe in the environment to do outside work but the Hitler leader guy was just like, "THE MASKS REPRESENT OUR HISTORY AS A WORKING CLASS PEOPLE! WE SHALL WEAR THEM ALWAYS!"

Am I getting this right?

TEH-CJ

Banned
LMFAO this game is amazing.

Garza tried to outflank a helghast by throwing a grenade at his position and the helghast was like " Oh fuck! " and dived down the stairs head first :lol

Love it!.

Grayman

FatalT said:

Earth people don't like that so they tax em and stuff, the company gets mad and starts a war

Company loses and Earth takes over it's planet and sends the company people to a crap planet

Company people get pissed on the crap planet and mutate because of the planet's crappiness and start to build up to take revenge on Earth

Big leader guy grows up and rallies the crap planet company people together to invade Earth

KILLZOWNED

The gimmick of the Helghast is that the planet Helghan is all crappy and stuff so they had to wear masks to breathe in the environment to do outside work but the Hitler leader guy was just like, "THE MASKS REPRESENT OUR HISTORY AS A WORKING CLASS PEOPLE! WE SHALL WEAR THEM ALWAYS!"

Am I getting this right?
Big leader guy grows up and rallies the crap planet company people together to invade new Earth

TEH-CJ

Banned
FatalT said:

KILLZOWNED

Am I getting this right?

Pretty much :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FatalT said:

KILLZOWNED

Am I getting this right?
MSPaint it for the lazy.

DoomGyver

TEH-CJ said:
LMFAO this game is amazing.

Garza tried to outflank a helghast by throwing a grenade at his position and the helghast was like " Oh fuck! " and dived down the stairs head first :lol

Love it!.
That sounds like it would have been a great baliout.gif

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FatalT said:

KILLZOWNED

Am I getting this right?

Sounds right, looks like the backstory has you feeling sorry for the Helghan people and hating evil Hitler wannabe that rallied them up in misery to exploit them and fight his own war.

Thanks for the awesome thread. I absolutely cannot wait for this game, as the demo more than met my phenomenally-high expectations. Two weeks to go for us Europeans. It's going to be a very long two weeks, that's for sure.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Truant said:
Can't wait to get home and play :)

Does the character you make in MP with bots level up if you only play offline?

No. Experience is gained only when you play with or against humans in your match (can be a mix of bots and men I believe, not sure).

nib95

Banned
neorej said:
No. Experience is gained only when you play with or against humans in your match (can be a mix of bots and men I believe, not sure).

True. Also, the more human players in a game, the more experience is there to be won.

Angst

Awesome official thread BLR and Wollan!

Now if I could just get the game early things would be even better...:D

AkuMifune

Banned
Can. Not. Fucking. Wait.

GAFa clan represent!

There's only 8 of us in the Asia/Australia clan, and it's not going to be easy
:lol

gantz85

Banned
neorej said:

The idea of being able to play with bots online makes me want to jizz :D

peetfeet

Great OP, finally an Official thread to lurk in.

To the guys how are playing now, forgive me if this was asked in the other Mega thread.....

The Hardest initial difficulty setting in the game, what difficulty would you say its comparible to in say COD4 and R2.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yesterday i was in some stores here in Europe and asked about Killzone 2, and if they were getting that Steel Box edition of Killzone 2. Unfortunately they didnt know, but one store had a Killzone 2 poster that you got if pre-ordered the game there. The poster looked abit like that Killzone 2 pre-ordering Playstation 3 theme that Play.com has.

Have anyone seen this poster before and does anyone knows if this poster are/will be avalible somewhere else? I wouldnt mind having this poster, but i dont know if i want to pre-order Killzone 2 yet in case this store also gets the Steel Box version of Killzone 2. I will buy the Steel Box version instead then.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Awesome thread, this is my new home in GAF :D
Great work Bruce and Wollan.

Flek

Banned
test_account said:
Yesterday i was in some stores here in Europe and asked about Killzone 2, and if they were getting that Steel Box edition of Killzone 2. Unfortunately they didnt know, but one store had a Killzone 2 poster that you got if pre-ordered the game there. The poster looked abit like that Killzone 2 pre-ordering Playstation 3 theme that Play.com has.

Have anyone seen this poster before and does anyone knows if this poster are/will be avalible somewhere else? I wouldnt mind having this poster, but i dont know if i want to pre-order Killzone 2 yet in case this store also gets the Steel Box version of Killzone 2. I will buy the Steel Box version instead then.

i still have the vector graphic of this, which i used for the wallpaper (look in post 1). I could give it to you in any size you want so you could go let it be printed in a print shop. A0 with 600 DPI ? No problem ;)

anyway @ op
awesome work awesome op now we have to get this baby number 1 thread on gaf again ;)

Top Bottom