• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

the_prime_mover said:
You are going to have a hard time getting them legit at this point. Most of the "new map" game servers are set at 32p games which may make it a bit hectic for some of the tasks. However, getting all of the bolt gun kills is fun in a 32p game and few people seem to go for that weapon (I don't ever have any problems picking it up where it spawns).

With that said, I believe all of the DLC trophies can be earned while playing against bots in a public match.

You mean skirmish mode? I never played against bots in a public match online, was that patched on later?

KZObsessed

RE: Bots - No they were in at launch. They're now classed as unranked games tho. I think you can only earn the boltgun and flamethrower kills trophies against bots (in an online game) but I'm not certain.

KZObsessed said:
No they were in at launch. They're now classed as unranked games tho. I think you can only earn the boltgun and flamethrower kills trophies against bots (in an online game) but I'm not certain.

How do you access it? I'm gonna give it a try in a few minutes.

KZObsessed

Create your own online server and put bots in it, set them to easy and have friendly fire on just in case an A.I. teammate picks up the boltgun/flamethrower. :lol Make the rounds as long as you think you'll need and go nuts. Just have the 2 DLC maps selected of course.

Lince

Banned
hey good games yesterday, too bad about that Brazilian clan joining and lagging the last couple of games, hope Guerrilla fix this regional shit for KZ3.

see you after the summer! happy holidays!

<3 FFO

KZObsessed

Lince said:
hey good games yesterday, too bad about that Brazilian clan joining and lagging the last couple of games, hope Guerrilla fix this regional shit for KZ3.

see you after the summer! happy holidays!

<3 FFO

Yeah good games, KZ2 with GAFe squad is just the most fun online experience.

Enjoy your holiday in Majorca while I'm off looking for a new job! *grumble*

:p Have a good holiday.

<3

KZObsessed said:
Yeah good games, KZ2 with GAFe squad is just the most fun online experience.
Too bad I got there late. Got to play were a few games 2 of which were pretty empty. xD
Although it was pretty fun listening to Lince ramble on about stuff.:lol

KZObsessed

Somnium986 said:
Too bad I got there late. Got to play were a few games 2 of which were pretty empty. xD
Although it was pretty fun listening to Lince ramble on about stuff.:lol

The best was when he started screaming at a guy not to shoot him because he was reading a message, as if the other guy is going to care :lol

<3 Lince

edit: today I went 72-2 in a game with a 55 man killstreak. Hilarious.

This game is so easy to get back into, and it's still just as awesome as ever. The choice of servers has dwindled significantly since I last played, but you only need one in any case.

Lince

Banned
THERE'S A VIDEOGAMING CAFE HERE IN MAJORCA WITH A FULL ROW DEDICATED TO KILLZONE 2 ONLINE!!!! I MIGHT PLAY THIS SUMMER AFTER ALL!!

Thrakier

KZObsessed said:

please-please-boy-sad-smiley-emoticon-000383-large.gif

KZObsessed said:
Create your own online server and put bots in it, set them to easy and have friendly fire on just in case an A.I. teammate picks up the boltgun/flamethrower. :lol Make the rounds as long as you think you'll need and go nuts. Just have the 2 DLC maps selected of course.

That worked, I got most trophies except for the 2 win a round with at least 5 mission victories, that needs to be in a ranked game. I don't think I'll be able to get those unless I leech off someone. I like some of the maps, there's a couple that were just ok, but overall I liked it, gonna see if I can find some ranked games that are not clusterfucks lol

noise36

trying to enjoy SP...the FOV is terrible. It might be a game breaker..going to see how I go as only a few levels in.

They should have toned down the graphics and made it a bigger FOV.

Dries

Quick question: I just started playing on hard, but the enemys can really take a lot of hits. If I put it to normal will they take less bullets to kill?

Aumann

I just got this game recently and I have a question: Do i need to have played the previous game to understand the story? How will I fare if I start playing this first?

KiKaL

Cool video.

Maybe you guys can help me on settings. I just got a ps3 and KZ2 and really like the game so far but something about the controls feel sluggish. I almost feel like its the acceleration rate of the actual looking around. I'm coming from x360 so I originally just assumed it was because of the different controller but when I played Resistance it seemed fine.

I tried adjusting the sensitivity of the x & y but it stills feels off. Is there anything else to do? I have kind of gotten use to it the more I play but I'd rather fix it.

KZObsessed

Nice vid again Morlock. Everytime I see some footage I want to play again. I'll probably return for a bit when I'm finished with Demon's Souls, and before I finally buy Red Dead Redemption and BFBC2.

KiKaL said:
Cool video.

Maybe you guys can help me on settings. I just got a ps3 and KZ2 and really like the game so far but something about the controls feel sluggish. I almost feel like its the acceleration rate of the actual looking around. I'm coming from x360 so I originally just assumed it was because of the different controller but when I played Resistance it seemed fine.

I tried adjusting the sensitivity of the x & y but it stills feels off. Is there anything else to do? I have kind of gotten use to it the more I play but I'd rather fix it.

The game has 12 frames of input lag:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article

morlock

KiKaL said:
Cool video.

I'd say, adjust to it. Coming from another game it can be though in the beginning but you'll get used to it and adapt. If resistance is sega rally killzone is gran turismo, can't really compare them. :)
For settings i use(d) Alternate 2 button conf, hold zoom and crouch and 2 notches up on X and Y.

KiKaL

morlock said:
I'd say, adjust to it. Coming from another game it can be though in the beginning but you'll get used to it and adapt. If resistance is sega rally killzone is gran turismo, can't really compare them. :)
For settings i use(d) Alternate 2 button conf, hold zoom and crouch and 2 notches up on X and Y.

Okay I think those are pretty close to my settings. I know I upped the X&Y and switched to Alt2. Alt2 felt much better to use after coming from CODMW+MW2

KZObsessed said:
9 frames, 150ms. And that's only a "ballpark figure". That's 50ms over the minimum for a 30fps game.

I stand corrected.

Though 12 frames of cumulative lag (assuing 3 frames of lag from display device, not uncommon at all - my 2008 Pioner Kuro has 3+ frames of lag) is certainly enough that some people will notice a difference over other titles that may have, say, 7 or 8 frames of cumulative lag. Lag tends to become noticeable at certain thresholds (and what those thresholds are vary by individual). The difference between even 8 and 11 frames feels substantial to me, but YMMV.

I'm not making a value judgement on the game (I actually think it is a very good game), just pointing this out to someone who feels the controls are unresponsive, to them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
well coming from a twitchy 60 fps shooter to Killzone 2 and expecting them to feel similar is probably the main problem.

KZObsessed

KiKaL said:
Okay I think those are pretty close to my settings. I know I upped the X&Y and switched to Alt2. Alt2 felt much better to use after coming from CODMW+MW2

I have High Precision enabled, X-axis +2, y-axis +1. That's perfect for me. Don't expect it to be as arcadey and as fast paced as CoD. You don't run around the map constantly, just concentrate on winning the objectives.

alr1ghtstart said:
well coming from a twitchy 60 fps shooter to Killzone 2 and expecting them to feel similar is probably the main problem.

That's a fair observation as well. Bad Company 2 feels "sluggish and unresponsive" to me compared to MW2, but I do really like BC2.

KiKaL

What does High Precision actually change? I have enabled and disabled it but haven't really been able to tell a difference. Playing SP more has definitely helped me get use to it.

High Precision shrinks the deadzone. Makes the sticks more responsive to small movements. A real boon to those used to 360 and/or CoD games, which have tight deadzones.

KZObsessed

Beer Monkey said:
I stand corrected.

Though 12 frames of cumulative lag (assuing 3 frames of lag from display device, not uncommon at all - my 2008 Pioner Kuro has 3+ frames of lag) is certainly enough that some people will notice a difference over other titles that may have, say, 7 or 8 frames of cumulative lag. Lag tends to become noticeable at certain thresholds (and what those thresholds are vary by individual). The difference between even 8 and 11 frames feels substantial to me, but YMMV.

I'm not making a value judgement on the game (I actually think it is a very good game), just pointing this out to someone who feels the controls are unresponsive, to them.

oh I know, I don't mind people who are sensitive to that sort of thing and notice issues like that. I do think the "imput lag" issues have been overstated tho. Even with the minimum of 100ms people would still have issues with way KZ2 controls when compared to CoD just because it has a much slower style, it's just people sometimes put it down solely to "imput lag" as if it's just because it's flawed when it's also just the style of the game itself.

A bigger issue with the controls originally, was the deadzone of the sticks, it was quite large initially and made it a real hassle when aiming down the sights with the M-82 especially. They fixed that issue with the High Precision patch thankfully, and now it's really easy to headshot people from distance. It was probably the combination of deadzone, imput lag and they style of the game itself that made the issues stand out a lot more. They should of course try to reduce the 150ms as much as they possibly can, as depending on what model TV you're using it can build up to a level that a lot of people can notice.

On this subject:
killzone.com said:
KILLZONE 2 VS. KILLZONE 3 - CONTROLS
15-Jul-2010 - by Victor Zuylen
Category: Features

One of the most characteristic qualities of Killzone 2 was its control scheme, which underscored the weighty feel of the game's first-person animations. It was also Killzone 2's most divisive quality: some players loved the sense of realism it provided, while others believed it impacted the responsiveness too much.

For Killzone 3, Guerrilla's developers are aiming to keep the unique sense of weight in the game while ramping up the accuracy and responsiveness of the controls. We talked to Game Director Mathijs de Jonge to get a better idea of the considerations involved with the redesign.

"Our first priority when we started working on the controls for Killzone 3 was to listen closely to Killzone 2's players - what they liked, what they disliked, and how they felt things could be improved," Mathijs says. "Accuracy and responsiveness consistently came up as the top issues. At the same time, a lot of players were saying they loved the weighty feel."

That might sound contradictory, but one doesn't have to preclude the other. "For the most part, the unique sense of weight in Killzone 2 comes directly from the first-person animations, not from the control scheme," Mathijs explains. "The speed of movement and the way the camera bobs up and down are consistent with the view of a person carrying around heavy equipment."

When the team went back to the drawing board, they began by exhaustively analyzing every aspect of the underlying system, taking into consideration factors like input lag, acceleration and dead zone [the amount of movement on the analog stick required to produce a reaction in the game –Ed.] and how each affected the overall gameplay. Their findings were used to make improvements to the accuracy and responsiveness of the controls.

The results so far have been very encouraging. "Right now it's still a work in progress," Mathijs says, "but we're definitely getting there. We’ve recalibrated the dead zone to be more responsive and significantly reduced the input lag, resulting in far better accuracy. Best of all, we've managed to retain that sense of weight that set Killzone 2 apart from other shooters. I can't wait for people to try it out."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is it just me, and the games I'm playing or does the multiplayer in this game BLOW?

-Turrets are a neat idea, putting them in high places get headshots. Good idea. Except:

a) Rockets can kill them easy. One shot and done.
b) Two grenades and a primary weapon fire = done.
c) Turrets CAN'T KILL FAST ENOUGH. You're lucky to make 5 kills in a round if you are the only engineer and able to put two turrets near each other in a room to mow down someone.
d) TURRETS CAN ONLY BE PLACED FOUR AT A TIME BY EACH TEAM. Seriously, WTF? I've had five games where you have 14 of the 16 players all trying to place turrets to get kills to get the stupid repair ability.

-Air support fucking sucks. Full stop. IF YOU GET A KILL IN A ROUND count yourself lucky. Like the turrets they can't bring anyone down. "Support" I know, but even if you throw a shotgun shell or two into a person and die, the damn things STILL WON'T take down a person. And the limit of two fucking sucks. I understand it's balance issues, but why would you use this other than to torture yourself to get the secondary ability of that class?

Which leads to:

-Multiplayer unlocks are a decent idea. If the unlocking ability wasn't fucking torture. Five turret kills? Fucking impossible now, as above: Anyone with a brain is going to take those down quickly with one two shots.

Oh and:

Radec Academy fucking sucks. 16 players on each team, the game devolves into "hey, let's speed rush and spawn camp the enemy to where they can't get out of their base."

Of course, that isn't only Radec Academy. It's most of the other base maps as well.

Pretty disappointed, as the class based and multiplayer mechanics can be a good thing. But it's been disappointment after disappointment for me this past week trying to see if I want to keep this game or not. :|

Don't hate it cause you suck :p

It'll grow on u.

And yeah, Raddec Academy is chaos with more then 16 players.

Oh, and 5 kills with turrets is quite easy, you just have to learn where to place them.

alr1ght

wow, complaining the airbots are underpowered. I got all 8 of those ribbons with the launch (read: weak as shit) airbots. They're death machines now. The turret ribbons are the easiest of the bunch.

TheSeks

Metalmurphy said:
Oh, and 5 kills with turrets is quite easy, you just have to learn where to place them.

Oh, I've gotten it. But they're still weak as shit and you have to be EXTREMELY lucky to get a killing shot from the turrets.

I mean when you're not being spawn raped (which is 80% of the games I've joined as the losing team quits and you can't do anything about it if the team outside is good enough to keep lobbing grenades in), the game is pretty fun (the shit aiming aside).

Alrightstart said:
They're death machines now.

Not really.

*Spawn, rush to area where it's safe*

"Oh, look an airbot!"

*spray anything not a shotgun here at it*

(WHOO! BOOM!)

They're as easy to take down as the turrets, and they're ability to kill is just as shitty. I'd love to see how someone can get five kills in a round on the base maps without anyone noticing/taking down the airbots quickly.

Shit is infuriating. As is no points for repairing teammates bots. Guess that's easy points for most people and why they don't allow it. But man, annoying to sit there and repair a bot to make sure the enemy team can't camp your spawn.

alr1ght

airbots are best used for objectives. Toss one over the cap/hold spot and you'll get plenty of kills. Mind you, it will take an assload of time if your team sucks.

TheSeks

I dunno, man. I've thrown one into captures/near enemy spawns and have barely gotten lucky with ONE (!) kill in a round.

If you're lucky and the enemy sucks, yeah I guess they can kill (somewhat slowly, but kill) but now a days people are going to have turrets up or spam a assault rifle/smg/lmg/rocket at it and get it out of there for the +1 quickly.

It's even more annoying having to fight someone that has to secondary ability unlocked and has TWO bots out. Seriously, give other people a chance to get the secondary ability and then forget that class exists, please.

Erasus

Playing through the capaign again and damn this game is awesome! More than a year old (has it been so long D=) and the graphics are still insane especially the lightning and textures oh and the postprocessing.

I still hate Rico :p

KZObsessed

Multiplayer blows because turrets/air bots aren't stupidly overpowered? Come on. The medal requirements for those two are shit but that doesn't make the MP crap. 32 player on Radec Academy, well, blame the stupid KZ2 community for that one, or Guerrilla Games for not restricting smaller maps to smaller player counts.

Turrets and Air Bots are supplemental. They're not going to just destroy enemy teams by themselves, they do damage to enemies so you can kill them quicker and vice versa. If your team is getting dominated then your bots aren't going to survive too long. Only 4 turrets per team? Yeah... what do you want a map full of turrets? :p

And it's not like you need the airbot medal to unlock anything. The turret medal yeah for the repair ability, so if you want it just sit in a C&H area with one of your turrets and protect it. Then when the timer goes down you can put down a second or third turret if you're lucky. Playing on games with smaller numbers helps.

If you still have trouble I've never minded helping someone get the ribbons so add me if you want some help.

Eccocid

Fucking MIND BLOWN!
those loading screens in the game with the tips about multiplayer and stuff..
I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD MOVE THE SCREEN WITH SIXAXIS!!!
I noticed sometimes angle changes on those screens just realized it is because i move sixaxis! :lol :lol

spats

Eccocid said:
Fucking MIND BLOWN!
those loading screens in the game with the tips about multiplayer and stuff..
I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD MOVE THE SCREEN WITH SIXAXIS!!!
I noticed sometimes angle changes on those screens just realized it is because i move sixaxis! :lol :lol

:lol

Always thought it was a really cool gimmick. Fully interactive loading screens with PS Move in Killzone 3 or bust!

TheSeks said:
Is it just me, and the games I'm playing or does the multiplayer in this game BLOW?

-Turrets are a neat idea, putting them in high places get headshots. Good idea. Except:

a) Rockets can kill them easy. One shot and done.
b) Two grenades and a primary weapon fire = done.
c) Turrets CAN'T KILL FAST ENOUGH. You're lucky to make 5 kills in a round if you are the only engineer and able to put two turrets near each other in a room to mow down someone.
d) TURRETS CAN ONLY BE PLACED FOUR AT A TIME BY EACH TEAM. Seriously, WTF? I've had five games where you have 14 of the 16 players all trying to place turrets to get kills to get the stupid repair ability.

-Air support fucking sucks. Full stop. IF YOU GET A KILL IN A ROUND count yourself lucky. Like the turrets they can't bring anyone down. "Support" I know, but even if you throw a shotgun shell or two into a person and die, the damn things STILL WON'T take down a person. And the limit of two fucking sucks. I understand it's balance issues, but why would you use this other than to torture yourself to get the secondary ability of that class?
So bots are underpowered now? This might be the most ridiculous thing I've read in this thread so far, and that's really saying something.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm on the final level of the game and it actually made my PS3 freeze. I think it's the first time I have seen it happen. Also, fuck this level, talk about horrible pacing and they push the heavy machine gun on you by providing almost no ammo for regular guns and it fucking blows.

Top Bottom