• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

patsu

Monarch said:
Scramble was in my opinion not useful for the Marksmen class, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. If I was in the opposite team, I would just found another spot out of scramble's range and that would be it. Actually, if I see that that my radar is scrambled, it means that there is a Marksmen around, I KNOW someone is here waiting to kill me in the back with an assault rifle. It was useful for me.
But now, if you understand what I'm saying, Marksmens will be never be detected and it opens the gate to more camping cuz Marksmen won't activate the scramble ability.

Isn't the bigger problem Scramble++ ?

I don't find individual Marksman threatening. But hiding an entire team of activities is more formidable.

Monarch

Banned
patsu said:
Isn't the bigger problem Scramble++ ?

I don't find individual Marksman threatening. But hiding an entire team of activities is more formidable.

Scramble ++ is the problem indeed. I don't know if this change affects just scramble++ or all abilities (scramble and scramble+ included) though.
If this affects all scramble levels, then i'm ok with it :)

Dibbz

Monarch said:
Scramble was in my opinion not useful for the Marksmen class, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. If I was in the opposite team, I would just found another spot out of scramble's range and that would be it. Actually, if I see that that my radar is scrambled, it means that there is a Marksmen around, I KNOW someone is here waiting to kill me in the back with an assault rifle. It was useful for me.
But now, if you understand what I'm saying, Marksmens will be never be detected and it opens the gate to more camping cuz Marksmen won't activate the scramble ability.
Yeah you might know there is a marksman around but it is hardly a disadvantage mainly because of how Killzone 3 multiplayer is so close. Having your radar scrambled via the other teams marksman is a massive problem to face. Having a cooldown period on it is a welcomed addition.

Yeah Marksmen can stay of the radar but they are one of the weakest classes to have for objectives so it's a fair trade off imo.

Monarch

Banned
Dibbz said:
Yeah you might know there is a marksman around but it is hardly a disadvantage mainly because of how Killzone 3 multiplayer is so close. Having your radar scrambled via the other teams marksman is a massive problem to face. Having a cooldown period on it is a welcomed addition.

Yeah Marksmen can stay of the radar but they are one of the weakest classes to have for objectives so it's a fair trade off imo.

As a tactician, I never found myself that disturbed by radar scrambling... But anyway, since I think this affects all scrambling levels, my point is no longer valid.

Ravage

Dibbz said:
KZ3 without radar is like playing blind. It is that important to me.

Agreed, i practically can't play without the radar. Situational awareness is extremely important in KZ3 and half the battle is won when you know the exact location of your enemy (cooked grenade, etc..). It's also highly useful when defending in S&D, as a quick look at the radar would alert you to teammates' deaths and allow you to predict the approach of the enemy.

patsu

Yes, yes. Battlefield intelligence in KZ3 is a big part of the game. You have to connect the dots to estimate what the outcome is and make your next move. e.g., sniper in Boulevard balcony + fighting in opposite objective room + fighting in next potential objective(s) + amount of time left + number of TSP we hold + how many missions left, etc. will tell me what to do next.

It felt like a lot of work, but if you can plan and execute your plan to score a mission, it is very satisfying. Kinda like winning the final objective in MAG but in a different way.

EDIT: Very few games make me think so hard. Even fewer make me feel really useful in a game. I think some people feel obliged to defend and grab TSPs 4ever. But I usually suicide and change roles to maximize our chance of winning. e.g., suicide from Tact to Engineer to repair ammo crates and set up turret. Fight and respawn as something else to grab the next objective, etc.

Dibbz

left_senseless said:
patch is out... anyone know what it does?
Patch notes are on the previous page.

I played some 1.12 today and I like the changes. Engineer has his buff which he needed for a while in the turrets and the grenade pistols detonation timer is much shorter so the gun is really useful now.

Marksman now is able to deactive his scramble but yeah his off the radar ability is still there. I've never seen so many Marksmen playing together as I did today but I'll put it down to people wanting to see the changes first hand. It did make getting TSP's easy though I do have to say :p Although it was hard to defend them with so many marksmen running around.

It's a shame GG can't patch intelligence into the players that play KZ3, would make the game 1000 times better lol.

Out of the 3 warzone games I played today only one went really bad and that was Radec although we won it 4-3. It's just we were leading 4-0 and the team went all marksmen on me. :(

D-Pad

patsu said:
Rocket turrets are very useful even before this patch ! ^_^

I usually use mine to shoot down allies where marksmen and friends are camping (Frozen Damn, behind the overturned desk in the one room), but it would always spawn facing the opposite direction. By the time it turned around the opponents were able to blow it up with bullets.

But yeah, you're right. Feels good finding the perfect location for the turret and watching your turret kills rack up. Now I just need it to stop rocket blasting the downed opponents at my feet. > >;

D-Pad

FTS. MY GOD! Marksmen don't show up on the map?? Had to turn the game off after that match and walk away. Haha! Nearly blew a gasket over a video game.

My week+ away from the game screwed me over. I can't get back into the groove. Marksmen seen more annoying than before. Annoying clans out in full force. Still no GW players playin' DLC maps (found one group, and that was that).

My poor KD ratio probably took a huge hit these last several games, not that I can check, with the website always being down (wtf is up with that?!). I did realize, however, that shooting down recruit level AI bots in botzone is a wonderful stress reliever.

D-Pad

Ravage said:
I do that too sometimes, works brilliantly for me ;p
Double the fun when you're sprinting as an infiltrator with a shot gun. BAM! "100" BAM! "100" pitpatpitpatpitpat BAM "100" BAM "100" pitpatpitpat BAM! "100"

patsu

D-Pad said:
I usually use mine to shoot down allies where marksmen and friends are camping (Frozen Damn, behind the overturned desk in the one room), but it would always spawn facing the opposite direction. By the time it turned around the opponents were able to blow it up with bullets.

But yeah, you're right. Feels good finding the perfect location for the turret and watching your turret kills rack up. Now I just need it to stop rocket blasting the downed opponents at my feet. > >;

They are also great for defending TSPs and Assassination target. ^_^
Gives advanced warning where enemies are coming from.

Grinchy

Banned
I am loving the online in this game with Move, but why does it still have the problem where it sticks you in some 3v3 room that never acquires new players? Why is it that when the game is 8v3, no one on the team with 8 players can switch over?

I find myself having to make sure to constantly check the scoreboard just to be sure I'm in a room that isn't a complete waste of my time.

Sealda

Banned
Found a Helghast Edition for roughly 50 Euro so i bought it and i just finished the single player. Being a fan of the Killzone series (even having the Killzone 1 Steel box, kinda rare) i was greatly disappointed by the extremely bad story and plot holes in the 2 and 3. It feels like, half of the time Guerilla Games are spot on. The new council were awesome and interesting and i loved the new Helghast (the engineers etc.) but seriously some of the flaws i found.

ISA never ever wears helmets or masks on helghast (meanwhile, the helghast needs mask to breath there).

What makes some helghast be able to not wear helmets (the few leaders) while everyone else needs to wear the masks. Its extremely silly when even the receptionist in the Stahl factory is just your average Helghast soldier in full gear. Its really lazy by Guerilla to not make some more "non-mask" helghans. For instance, when you enter the GRAWLER cockpit there is still just normal damn Helghast soldiers with weapons. Basically there is a huge gap between the mainroll Helghans and the soldiers. There is nothing in between. Its like having Star Wars where everyone beside Darth Vader and Palpatine are Stormtroopers or other mask soldiers. This lack of different helghans (including children, women etc.) makes it feel unreal.

I would expect the room around Viscari to look like the room around Hitler in Downfall. Full of all types of high ranks (looking different from each other) mixed in with families and soldiers.

COD in space. Literally. The amount of Die Hard 4 things pulled off in this game is getting out of hand. That coupled with the way the ISA crew yells when crashing makes it feel like a farce. At the same time we see dead human corpse hanging from meat hooks the game feels completely like an action-comedy from time to time.

With the amount of craziness Guerilla pulled off in this game (some insane graphical master pieces) i know for sure they would have had the resources to actually show us some more variation among the helghans. To make em actually look more genuine. It was the same problem in KZ2. Then we had Viscari and Radec and a million faceless Helghan soldiers all looking the same. This is the helghan empire for feck sake. Are you saying that say Hitler or Stalin had 1 more high ranked person around. Some sort of bodyguard and thats it. Everyone else was just faceless soldiers in millions.

So we enter Pyrrhys City and its basically not a city. How hard would it be to even show 1 helghan family to let us know they actually exist. This is supposed to be a civilization ffs! Overall. Guerilla Games completely butchers their universe. Beside having awesome art designers the story is a joke. One big joke.

Imagine us actually getting some information about how Helghans really are. We could see a helghan family and their kid going to some extremely authoritarian school and getting brain-washed etc. Just getting any confirmation of the fact that they actually exist. Right now we got absolutely no information at all. I am sure the council was just made up after Killzone 2. Before that, we had Viscari and Radec period.

Even when they show Stahls worldwide speech they basically show helghan soldiers in helghan gear watching it while holding onto their guns. That was an excellent opportunity to maybe show TVs all over Helghan and how their whole people were watching.

Stahl by the way is one of the worst characters ever. The rest of the council was amazing though.

In general everything in Killzone feels like one big fake facade put up to host the actual things going on gameplay wise at that exact moment. It never feels like there is anything else beside what we see.

methane47

I bought this game for my brother in march.. I finally took it frmo him and beat it this weekend. and man... This did not feel like Killzone at all.

The game really felt like COD4 in the Killzone universe.
That said the game was great and enjoyable... but i really felt like it suffered from the same problems as Resistance 2. Like they had a great engine and wanted to build on top of it but didn't bother to put any polish on the game.

Like some cutscenes didn't even seem to follow after each other. for example when I killed the flying ATAC thing at the end of Stalh's facility after that there is a scene where some people are boarding the transports.. fine... THE VERY NEXT SCENE im in some kind of snow mobile tank barrelling down the mountain? Wtf? where did that come from? I'm also no longer wearing the helgast clothes... i'm fully clothed in my ISA uniform

Anyways great game... lacks polish.

Gvaz said:
Does Killzone 2 have the same kind of graphics? I have that on the backburner too. Is it just as long or ...?
Killzone 2 has arguably better graphics in terms of post processing/image quality. But Killzone 3 is more spectacular, more colourful, more responsive. I believe 2 is slightly longer.

patsu

Actually, you did see at least 2 civilians in the entire game: The princess and one of the main antagonists. ^_^

The rest have probably evacuated or died.

Man, this is a terrible first experience with the mp of Killzone 3. Both warzone matches i've had in the Graveyard map have ended up with my team getting spawn camped for half the match. Shit is broken as all hell.

Massa

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Man, this is a terrible first experience with the mp of Killzone 3. Both warzone matches i've had in the Graveyard map have ended up with my team getting spawn camped for half the match. Shit is broken as all hell.

Yeah, that can happen. Just quit and search for a new server, the other team already won.

Getting spawn camped in that map is difficult but once it happens you're screwed. What works sometimes for me is to capture the other team's TSP through an alternative route, if that fails you just lost complete control over the map and that's a game over.

Shooting5280

Neo Member
I played KZ2 multiplayer last night for the first time and wow. It is a very different game from KZ3. I have played the crap out of KZ3 and really enjoy it but I can now see why some people where so upset with the changes. If you played and loved KZ2 and was expecting a visually updated version I can see how KZ3 was a shock.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Killzon...oductCategoryId=abcat0703002&id=1218292463635

$24.50 + free shipping for the Helghast Edition

Killzone3HelghastEdition-2.jpg

Massa

Forgot about this game.

I guess the saviour patch never really existed.

How is the game now anyways? People still playing?

People still play it.

I don't know what you mean by savior patch, I don't know if there's anything I'd like to see changed in this game. Sure some of the maps are unfit for Warzone, but that's not something that can be fixed in a patch.

Hazelhurst

I'm up to a 1:1 KDR thanks to the Move. I feel like I'm cheating.

I absolutely love the multi in KZ3. I'm addicted.

Infiltrators are still dicks though.

Nizz

I picked it up, yes it's out of stock but once it's in stock Amazon will sell it for the 19.99 price of you buy it now
I'll have to run it through to my younger brother. He's been mentioning what I would like as a Christmas gift so I could mention this to him. ;)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can anyone play this with the Move with vibration ON? I can't. The kickback is like insane.

Bollocks

Can anyone play this with the Move with vibration ON? I can't. The kickback is like insane.

That's the best thing when I played through it with Move, it really adds to the gameplay.
Without vibration the aiming alone is a challenge, you really have to focus.
Now when you wield a heavy machine gun you now know why you're spraying all over the place

Killzone 1 on PSN has been delayed indefinitely, probably because they are going to do a full HD rerelease with the MP intact. You can still play the KZ1 MP since the servers are still up, you just need a BC PS2 and a network setup disc.

So, how many of you guys are going to be online tonight to destroy some of the new F2P players? I know I will, and I'll definitely be on this weekend for the double XP.

Top Bottom