• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

I didn't really notice bad textures to be honest. There were a few here or there that we're slightly low res, but nothing that stuck out. I sortt of wish that the game has a little bit of that blurry depth of field that you get in MP when you get tranqed, the game looks omg good at times when your character is stoned.

I can't believe how good the IQ is in this game. Native Rez and x4 MSAA?

Think game kind of completely validates Sony's 'make out systems easy to develop for like the PS1 (but with very low level access and APIs)' approach and I can't wait to see what their teams can bring to Vita and PS4 in the future. It's the best of both the approaches of the PS1 and PS2 eras.

The game does run in native resolution most of the time, but in certain missions the resolution is cut in half during some of the more demanding scenes, i.e, the Diotrem mall in the second mission.

Still, it isn't very noticeable, and it doesn't happen all that often to really spoil the eye candy.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
The last handheld game I played was advanced wars on gameboy advanced... picked up a vita yesterday with killzone, jaw is still on the floor, we've come so far

I love the game, but it came out at such an inopportune time. I'm at an age and time in my life where I can only really play games a few days a week for a few hours (and I don't even take my Vita outside of my house since I wouldn't be able to play it anyway) so KZ:M coming out only a week before GTA V makes it so that when I do get to play games I rarely choose KZ:M over GTA V.

It is really unfortunate because, despite how good it is, I can't see the multiplayer staying exceeding active for a long time, especially not after the PS4 comes out.

nampad

The leaderboards seem to be buggy. I haven't played the game for over a week and just wanted to show my brother the graphics today (his jaw dropped ;)) so I was very surprised to see me getting a ace valor card as well as the trophy for it.

Zen

Banned
The game does run in native resolution most of the time, but in certain missions the resolution is cut in half during some of the more demanding scenes, i.e, the Diotrem mall in the second mission.

Still, it isn't very noticeable, and it doesn't happen all that often to really spoil the eye candy.

Yeah it happens in a few places in the mall mission, mostly when you're in the middle of everything and looking down the map. The only other place I notice it is at the end of the first mission.

leng jai

The controls for this game are on point. Proof that the Vita can do shooters just as well as consoles.

I have noticed that smoke and fire look horribly pixelated though. Is it a limitation of the hardware? Uncharted also had the exact same problem.

Troidal

The SP campaign is awesome until you get to the last mission. Lame as hell. Finished it on normal and replaying it on veteran but no way I can finish it....

areal

Random images from the second mission:

R2KAyj0.jpg

ubr0pko.jpg

mpMbTL9.jpg

OmegaZero

Just finished the Precision Contract for Mission 9 on Veteran difficulty.
God, what a frustrating contract. At least I will never have to do that again, ever.
Also, random campaign pictures:
Dat Ivanov.
Dem reflections.
This level just blew me away.

And random multiplayer pictures:
Being drugged looks way better in motion.
My first and only draw.
The funniest thing that's ever happened to me online. To this day, I wonder what the other guy was thinking.

Dereck

YOOOOOOOOO, I'm playing this, and I'm thinking, this is a PS Vita game? PS Vita?

More like PS Threeta, amirite? I said god damn.

Mdk7

The game is SICK, both in single and multiplayer... yet the online is SO frustrating, the connection keeps on dropping like hell.
Fix that shit Guerrilla! D:

Codiox

Got a problem with warzone.everytime i wanna play this mode it says "internal error".the other modes are fine...any solution?i booted the vita multiple times but error is still there :-(

Zemm

I wish this game had a demo. How is the aiming? Is it comparable to Unit 13 (which I consider the best on the Vita currently)? Is the gameplay really like goldeneye 64?

Codiox

I wish this game had a demo. How is the aiming? Is it comparable to Unit 13 (which I consider the best on the Vita currently)? Is the gameplay really like goldeneye 64?

The aiming is great, imho better than unit 13. And the graphics are superior. If you like shooter and the killzone universe, you need no demo trust me :)

stryke

Got a problem with warzone.everytime i wanna play this mode it says "internal error".the other modes are fine...any solution?i booted the vita multiple times but error is still there :-(

I just got that message but restarting the game worked for me.

jamsy

Absolutely love this game.

I never ever play multiplayer and this title has actually made me get into it. Great stuff.

Only one issue - sometimes in the menus, the touchscreen will not respond to any presses, which has caused me to restart a few times...this happen to anyone else?

It's like Goldeneye 64 in a lot of ways:

All of the levels have the various modes/contracts, which open up after standard play through. You can choose which contract - or which type of way - you'd like to play. Although the path to completion, within a level, is linear (ie, a beginning and an end); there is not one set path to follow. The openness allows for different methods and variation for completion.

There are weapons and vanguards (augments like stealth Invisibility, radar hammers, etc. that are timed) available to aide in your chosen method.

In regard to multiplayer, people are complaining about proximity mines. Well, GE64 had prevalence of mines and grenades then, too!

It's very GE64!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ugh Why did I choose veteran for mission 1...

Neat up to the final checkpoint where the tank must be taken down. Having seemingly unlimited soldiers re spawning constantly while avoiding tank blasts left me a bit soured.

Nade spam almost reached cod veteran levels of annoyance too.

Love the game concept and agree with goldeneye comparisons, but I am also not feeling the dual stick aiming. Better than uncharted but I still find the vita hardly comfy to play these types of games on it. :(

Zen

Banned
It's like Goldeneye 64 in a lot of ways:

All of the levels have the various modes/contracts, which open up after standard play through. You can choose which contract - or which type of way - you'd like to play. Although the path to completion, within a level, is linear (ie, a beginning and an end); there is not one set path to follow. The openness allows for different methods and variation for completion.

There are weapons and vanguards (augments like stealth Invisibility, radar hammers, etc. that are timed) available to aide in your chosen method.

In regard to multiplayer, people are complaining about proximity mines. Well, GE64 had prevalence of mines and grenades then, too!

It's very GE64!

This brings up something that I do take issue with. You are right abotu how Goldeneye it is, but a lot of times Goldeneye had very smart enemy segmentation that allowed you to fuck up (or shoot a gun even!) without triggering an alarm. With Mercenary the SECOND someone spots you it triggers the waves of mobs. If we do get a sequel it;s like tighter level design, like in mission one, that will have a lot of optional objectives in one general area, and more chances to prevent alarms triggering etc.

So even more like Goldeneye :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This brings up something that I do take issue with. You are right abotu how Goldeneye it is, but a lot of times Goldeneye had very smart enemy segmentation that allowed you to fuck up (or shoot a gun even!) without triggering an alarm. With Mercenary the SECOND someone spots you it triggers the waves of mobs. If we do get a sequel it;s like tighter level design, like in mission one, that will have a lot of optional objectives in one general area, and more chances to prevent alarms triggering etc.

So even more like Goldeneye :D

Yea the stealth feels clumsy and irritating at times. Occasionally if fast enough I can take down an enemy before the reinforcements appear if my initial headshot isn't damaging enough or it grazes. Sometimes my ai partner gets caught even if I am totally hidden...I hate the game when that happens.

When forced to engage in firefights, I tend to dislike the game as well. See tank fight in stage 1 and escape sequence in level 2 when trapped in a tiny room with nearly a dozen higs moving into point blank range. Just kinda awful sequences, at least on veteran diff. Really need to cut my pride and shift to normal maybe.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally picked up this game yesterday while on my way back to LA from Iowa, and, yeah, it's pretty fucking cool. I'm a big Killzone fan anyway, and I had played a bit of it at E3, but, man, this is an incredible piece of handheld whiz-bangery. I'm still floored at how good the game looks, and how fluid the controls are. I'm a headshot boss in this thing so far. I'm really digging the openness of the missions (although I've only done 2 so far, twice each).

It was great to have in the airport while I was waiting for my flight to arrive. I'll dig further into it later, I'm still currently jetlagged.

Finally got my hands on the ISA LMG.

It's quite awesome, but man, does it gimp your movement/turning speed something shocking. Do all the weapons do this to some degree? I've not really used the bigger ones such as the launchers, etc.

Eh. Worth it for making my game feel more "complete", regardless.

IvorB

Okay so I bought this game and I was really digging it but the other day some error message popped up which crashed the game. When I log back in the only option is "new game". WTF??? So I duly start again but today while playing I pressed PS button which took me to home screen and shut down the game. And again no save anywhere in sight.

I've never really played an FPS game before and I'm playing on veteran and this sh*t is not easy. My progress has been hard earned and this f**king game has wiped it all TWICE.

Is this game saving my progress at all?? I can't see any options for load or save. Does anyone know what the deal is? Man, this second wipe has really killed it. I wish I could return this piece of sh*t. This is the first time I'm pissed off at my Vita. :-(

lord pie

The game saves your progress after you complete each mission. Presumably to limit how often the mem card is written.

I pressed PS button which took me to home screen and shut down the game

This isn't correct. Pressing the PS button returns to the live area, it doesn't close the game - the game is suspended in the background. The game only gets unloaded if you peel off the live area or you force-shutdown the vita (long pressing power).

IvorB

The game saves your progress after you complete each mission. Presumably to limit how often the mem card is written.

This isn't correct. Pressing the PS button returns to the live area, it doesn't close the game - the game is suspended in the background. The game only gets unloaded if you peel off the live area or you force-shutdown the vita (long pressing power).

Yeah I peeled okay, I peeled. I didn't expect it would save absolutely nothing. Oh man... I think I was near end of level as well. Anyways thanks for the intel. That's a pretty sh*t saving system for a handheld if I am honest. You can't even know how salty I was about this.

While I am here, can anyone tell me how to destroy the tank in the first mission? I have no heavy munitions available. Do I just have to make sure I buy some in advance? Thanks!

darkwing

Yeah I peeled okay, I peeled. I didn't expect it would save absolutely nothing. Oh man... I think I was near end of level as well. Anyways thanks for the intel. That's a pretty sh*t saving system for a handheld if I am honest. You can't even know how salty I was about this.

While I am here, can anyone tell me how to destroy the tank in the first mission? I have no heavy munitions available. Do I just have to make sure I buy some in advance? Thanks!

you are supposed to go near the tank and plant a 'bomb' , don't need heavy munitions

When you first start, you have to run up to it and plant charges. Later when you get some of that Vektan monies, you can take it out with a purchased secondary Rocket Lawnchair :)

Also, save system is totally fine when you start going through levels again and realizing how bite-sized/portable they are by design.

IvorB

you are supposed to go near the tank and plant a 'bomb' , don't need heavy munitions

When you first start, you have to run up to it and plant charges. Later when you get some of that Vektan monies, you can take it out with a purchased secondary Rocket Lawnchair :)

Also, save system is totally fine when you start going through levels again and realizing how bite-sized/portable they are by design.

I thought it might be that but I went right up to the tank and no option came up sooo... It's pretty tense trying to figure this stuff out with no clear plan in that sh*t storm. Anyways, guess I'm gonna have to do this all again :-(. I know I haven't gone that far but it feels like an age when the resistance is stiff.

Any particular area of the tank I should head for?

I thought it might be that but I went right up to the tank and no option came up sooo... It's pretty tense trying to figure this stuff out with no clear plan in that sh*t storm. Anyways, guess I'm gonna have to do this all again :-(. I know I haven't gone that far but it feels like an age when the resistance is stiff.

Any particular area of the tank I should head for?

Go for its sides. There should be a glowy bomb indicator on both.

EDIT: When you get the money, invest in the Sky Fury vanguard. That part of the mission can be cleared in 2 shots.

IvorB

Go for its sides. There should be a glowy bomb indicator on both.

EDIT: When you get the money, invest in the Sky Fury vanguard. That part of the mission can be cleared in 2 shots.

Okay thanks for the advice. I'll look out for the glowy bomb indicator. :)

Got no doughs at the moment. Could use some stronger armour but hey ho...

kdash7

I have been so hooked to the MP..its addicting! And I have been playing so well in MP matches constantly that Im getting a little worried now lol!! I dont know if Im getting super good at it or if there is some GG black magic going on here to keep me hooked at it. The movements and controls are so smooth. It was a little hard at first to get used to the aiming but now its grown on to me.

Just finished the campaign and moving on to multilayer... Why is everyone dominating me so badly?
I need to git gud.

When you get the money, invest in the Sky Fury vanguard. That part of the mission can be cleared in 2 shots.

Porcupine and Ghost make the game significantly more entertaining, though the shield is handy. I'd stick with the fun ones in solo since the game's easy enough anyway.

kdash7

Just finished the campaign and moving on to multilayer... Why is everyone dominating me so badly?
I need to git gud.

Just keep playing and try out different primary weapons/secondary weapons. And soon you will find the right one. The same thing happened with me. Also change your armour once u get the chance.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Played my first MP match and proceeded to get destroyed by 2 robots. Awesome. Guys hiding in back of level and chasing me with robots.

krioto

Played my first MP match and proceeded to get destroyed by 2 robots. Awesome. Guys hiding in back of level and chasing me with robots.

Yep - the Mantis engine sucks when you're killed by it, and is cool when you're using it! My biggest dislikes are the proximity mines and people killing the guy you're interrogating.

oracrest

I bought this last night, and just finished it.

Really good! It was more fun that I thought, although a little short. I probably won't play much of the multiplayer, but hopefully the campaign is fun to go through a few more times.

lord pie

New patch is out:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/17/killzone-mercenary-update-goes-live-today/

Firstly, we need to start off with the bad news. You’ll see that the patch size is similar to that of the previous patch and you will need a spare 1190MB in order to download it. When this new patch installs, the first patch will essentially be deleted, but you will need the extra space initially. This download is necessary in order to pave the way for future planned revisions to the game.
We are currently investigating solutions to reduce the overall size of the title and free up more of your valuable memory card space. We hope to be able to share more news on that work very soon

Top Bottom