• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

TheRefresher

Neo Member
For some reason Amazon sent me 2 promo codes for Blackjack's Briefcase back in September. Did this happen to anyone else? I've only redeemed 1 of them, so send me a PM if you want the 2nd code. The first message gets it.

It's gone! Claimed by yankeehater!

krioto

What are the yellow circles on the minimap? Not the smiley faces which are the arms dealer vending machines. Thanks.

They are the arms dealer caches, but not on the same vertical level as you currently are - i.e. yellow circle means the arms cache is either on the floor above or below you

They are the arms dealer caches, but not on the same vertical level as you currently are - i.e. yellow circle means the arms cache is either on the floor above or below you
OK got it, thanks.

I really like this campaign, but man they have issues with dudes repeating the same lines ad nauseum until you do the thing they want you to do.. Even when you're trying to do the thing, and shooting tons of enemies in the way of you doing the thing, and they're still haranguing you. Really annoying.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah it's seriously a great game. Probably going to be 2 or 3 on my top ten this year, and TLOU by default gets a spot, so...

The thing is I've never even really enjoyed a KZ game before other than Liberation. So this is the first traditional KZ game I've ever really liked. I keep rubbing my eyes to see if they're deceiving me that I'm playing this shit on the go. But it's also quite sound mechanically, a pretty good shooter.

Around 40-45 hours I think going by the in game counter.

Dang. Well at least you got your moneys worth :p

soultron

Banned
Stealing one of my posts from r/killzonemercenary since it's a ghosttown...

Long story short, Mantys Engines are pests. I've been struggling to find ways to counter these things. These things are great at splitting players' attention.

My main strategy is keep distance. Listening for the rather loud sound and looking on the radar helps. But going back to the splitting the player's attention issue, sometimes I forget about it until these things round a corner and stab me in the head.

I find the lockon launcher is too slow to be reliable, since the ME is often so fast that it ends up blocking the rocket's path if you even manage to get a lock in the first place.
Gunfire also seems to be unreliable since if you both (player and ME) have LOS on each other, the ME can jack control from you and home in for the kill from quite some distance. This causes you to stop firing as it travels toward you once the ME is preempted in its kill animation. And if you're trying to shoot it from the sides, again, they move super fast so you might not land shots on it.

So my question again is how do you deal with these things effectively? The Arc lightning vanguard or whatever? Shotguns?

krioto

Long story short, Mantys Engines are pests. I've been struggling to find ways to counter these things. These things are great at splitting players' attention.

My main strategy is keep distance. Listening for the rather loud sound and looking on the radar helps. But going back to the splitting the player's attention issue, sometimes I forget about it until these things round a corner and stab me in the head.

I find the lockon launcher is too slow to be reliable, since the ME is often so fast that it ends up blocking the rocket's path if you even manage to get a lock in the first place.
Gunfire also seems to be unreliable since if you both (player and ME) have LOS on each other, the ME can jack control from you and home in for the kill from quite some distance. This causes you to stop firing as it travels toward you once the ME is preempted in its kill animation. And if you're trying to shoot it from the sides, again, they move super fast so you might not land shots on it.

So my question again is how do you deal with these things effectively? The Arc lightning vanguard or whatever? Shotguns?

They are a pain in the arse. The only way I've found is to listen for the Mantys van-guard announcement, then pick it up on radar. I've only had success killing them from head on, or directly behind - shooting side on is a waste of time as they're too quick.

soultron

Banned
Part of me hates them as a game play ingredient. The form and function of the Mantys seems to disregard how tiny the Vita screen is (it's hard to see even with the bright red light on it) and how clumsy the sticks and the controls are when it comes to tracking something moving that fast.

Mercenary isn't a game with much verticality overall (in terms of level design and possible enemy positions), so adding something that has a lot of vertical maneuverability is a bit confounding. The other drone-type Vanguards are a lot more forgivable since they move much slower and generally stay at the same altitude.

Pretty easy, for me at least. Just keep attention of red dots. When one is moving towards you, keep a look out. If you do spot it, ready your grenade, mine is the pyro grenade, and throw it in its path to you. If you time it right, they're gonza.

Theres also another way of getting rid of them, by keeping an eye out for when your reticule turns red when there is no enemy. Shoot them suckas while they float stab people!

Another is the Arc vangaurd, IIRC, they counter the Mantis engine and destroy em.

Gluck :D

Im having a issue with the game and wanted to see if anyone is experiencing this problem.
The game does not seem to be saving my progres. I have started [and re-started] this game five times now the next time I launch the game there is no option to load/progress from where I left off.

The furthest I have got in a session is:
I located the admiral and we are escaping the section and I have come upon a tank which I need to detonate.

I cant see to find anyway to save the game when I pause, so the next time I start the game I have to go through the opening all over again and I have not see any auto pop up, even though when you start the game it states about the save icon.
Tried this on different skill levels and restarted the Vita.

Any help would be gratful.

Zen

Banned
I'm getting really sick of vanguards, I wish there was a mode that straight up disabled them in team death match et all. Mantis Engines are basically impossible to stop/kill even if you see them coming at you and a good team can just ensure they get all the vanguard drops, giving the other team no chance to come back.

Anybody played both KZ:SF and Mercenary?

I found it interesting that SF has a 73 on Metacritic, and Mercenary has a 78, the latter I feel being too low for this game.

Obviously the console version has better graphics, frame rate and performance in general but I'm curious if the gameplay of the Vita version stacks up to the console version. Personally I was really impressed with the mission structure of Mercenary's campaign. I also like its multiplayer even though yes, vanguards are overpowered. Warzone in particular I think is really solid mode.

Curious to hear some opinions.

soultron

Banned
I'm getting really sick of vanguards, I wish there was a mode that straight up disabled them in team death match et all. Mantis Engines are basically impossible to stop/kill even if you see them coming at you and a good team can just ensure they get all the vanguard drops, giving the other team no chance to come back.

Yeah, I wish any game that supports killstreaks and the like would have a vanilla playlist.

I enjoy Vanguards, but as I complained in my post above, I also hate Mantys Engines...

It'd have been really nice if Mercenary had more playlists or customization options. I'd love to play Tranq pistols only, as an example.

krioto

I found it interesting that SF has a 73 on Metacritic, and Mercenary has a 78, the latter I feel being too low for this game.

Obviously the console version has better graphics, frame rate and performance in general but I'm curious if the gameplay of the Vita version stacks up to the console version. Personally I was really impressed with the mission structure of Mercenary's campaign. I also like its multiplayer even though yes, vanguards are overpowered. Warzone in particular I think is really solid mode.

I'm yet to play Shadowfall (EU), but I must admit that I think Mercs is now my favourite KZ for the time being. I didn't think KZ2 would ever be beaten, but Mercs campaign is so much fun, and the MP is great.

IvorB

The save system for this games is F**KING ANNOYING!! Once I launch a mission I'm basically locked out of everything else on my Vita until it's done. Did they not think this through? This is a handheld for Christ's sake.

soultron

Banned
The save system for this games is F**KING ANNOYING!! Once I launch a mission I'm basically locked out of everything else on my Vita until it's done. Did they not think this through? This is a handheld for Christ's sake.

Suspend with the PS button?

EGOMON

Just finished Killzone Mercenary Campaign (been playing the multiplayer mostly) and i must say GGC deserve more credits than people gives them, the game looks and play absolutely amazing for a handheld.

Now i can't wait to play Killzone Shadow Fall when i get my PS4 on December, Killzone games really underrated.

soultron

Banned
Just finished Killzone Mercenary Campaign (been playing the multiplayer mostly) and i must say GGC deserve more credits than people gives them, the game looks and play absolutely amazing for a handheld.

Now i can't wait to play Killzone Shadow Fall when i get my PS4 on December, Killzone games really underrated.
Agreed. I'm still working through the SP contracts on Veteran. I often don't replay games - especially SP - but the level design and varied objectives and playstyles has me hooked. It might be my first platinum trophy, the way things are going.

IvorB

Suspend with the PS button?

Suspending is not the issue. The issue is: if I do anything else with the Vita it will quit the game and wipe all progress on the current level. One of my colleagues brought his kid into work the other day and I foolishly offered to let him use my Vita but as soon as he booted up another game all my progress was wiped on the current level.

I don't know how they thought that was okay.

lord pie

mantys' are pretty easy to take care of if your team is organised. As mentioned, pyro grenades are the best bet (keep them primed and you blow up when you die :). My favorite though is the jammer, I've been using it a lot recently and it wreaks havok on the enemy team :-D If you have a vulture or interrogation intel, look on the map for a player who isn't moving and pay them a nice surprise visit.

Also here is a fun SP tip; all the ammo boxes have a unique voice over by blackjack - you just have to wait a second or so when you enter them to make them play. In the package he asks how the baby sitting business is working out :p

Zen

Banned

Having only started ShadowFall I feel like it's probably the better game, but Mercenary is amazing for the platform not deserving of being called a 'lesser' title and both titles are pretty unique despite being very similar. I especially appreciate that they were both designed with the same goals in mind. Making the IP less linear, more customization, as well as trying to include civilians, optional objective, and what have you while encouraging stealth as an option. Seeing how GGC achieved this on the Vita is great, especially given the power delta between the two.

One thing Mercenary could really use more of (which Shadowfalls has) is complexity to the mission structure, including having more elaborate optional objectives. It feels like the amount of side objectives and alternate routes keeps tapering off in Mercenary. This seemed more an issue of development time than one of technical limitations. You have a TON more abilities in ShadowFall as well.

One of my main issues with how Mercenary works though is how different both games are when you're spotted. In Shadowfall enemies will often have an alarm they can reach, but if they don't have that in the level, your encounters are often limited to a squad or so. In Mercenary the very minute you get spotted every soldier agros, and not only that, reinforcement waves will come in until you've completely cleared an area. This is actually just annoying, at least to me. I wish you'd have more of an MGS style cooldown when you go into hiding (that at places guards on 'suspicious' and maybe having slightly more cautious patrol patterns than pretending nothing happened) as well as the ability to defuse a Helghast that spots you without him immediately turning every unit to red status.

ShadowFall seems to have a better story (especially characters), but that's to be expected.

I haven't touched MP with Shadowfall, but MP in Mercenary is quite good. I wish they'd add some modes though like demolition and/or capture the flag. Maybe these modes don't work very well with the maps they have set up, or the number of players but wasn't the big update suppose to help them 'deliver future content'? I hope we get more content in MP and maybe even a map or two set in the Shadowfall period.

The last level is a bit glitchy, I crossed the gap without having to drop down to the foor below, and was told ' you'll have to drop down' over and over. Then there's the guy who runs up and starts shooting a shotgun straight at you in the pre boss cutscene... That was odd.

Zen

Banned
Yes, really looking forward to the updates and free maps. Next up: Port some stuff from Shadowfall please, or other maps from Killzone 2.

Argh, looks like my gaming free time is going to be all Killzone!
I might even get that platinum for Mercs. Just a couple thousand enemies for one trophy, and a shitton of luck for the other. :p

Skyzard

Banned
So happy about bot mode and all the extra stuff sounds great too. But a brilliant handheld fps like KZ:M needs to be finalized with bots. Really great support.

No Love

Banned
More multi maps and updates? Count me in. GG Cambridge kicks major ass, and the best portable shooter ever is about to get even better.

Zen

Banned
They probably porting existing maps with small tweaks because it's the least time/resource intensive, especially when compared to making new maps. I'm completely fine with that, especially if it means 2-4 new maps instead of none, and they're trying to pull from good maps in the franchise.

They'll play very differently because of the dramatically different guns and controls, on top of that.

Was there even a decent map in Killzone 3? The Multi in that was terrible.

Yeah, I wish any game that supports killstreaks and the like would have a vanilla playlist.

I enjoy Vanguards, but as I complained in my post above, I also hate Mantys Engines...

It'd have been really nice if Mercenary had more playlists or customization options. I'd love to play Tranq pistols only, as an example.

Hey thanks. Your posts really opened up my eyes to how weapons and abilities cna work as counters to others. I'm having a lot more fun in MP now (though sticking mostly to Team Death match as I find Warzone a little samey from start to finish).

I wonder if they'll add playlists, but they might not have the userbase to support much more than the three modes they already have. Then again PSVita users seems to be mainly power users who play a lot of online even with meager overall sales.

I do wonder about the ISA Rocket launcher also locking onto players and if that's really good for balance, but it's invaluable as a secondary weapon for neutralizing vanguards.

Frenden

Banned
Is anyone having trouble with the EULA popping up, erroring out, and buggering their online connectivity?

I've had spotty PSN connections on my Vita most of this week culminating in C2-13688-9 errors whenever I try to play KZ:M.

I was guessing PSN was being flaky what with the PS4 launch and all, but figured I'd check and see if anyone else playing this was having problems of late too.

Zen

Banned
I haven't had any kind of connection problem in a long time, but the next patch is suppose to address that sort of thing. I sort of had the issue you're talking about though it was during a time when all of PSN was acting buggy, maybe look it up online and check your wifi?

What sort of loadouts do you guys use? What items do you find are the best counters to what? Any preferences per map?

andylsun

Picked this up on Black Friday. Only thing I don't like is the save structure. I did see comments online that it saves at the armory stores, but I've not managed to get this to work.

So save at the end of mission only? That's a pain.

Everything else is amazing! If I play MP,
I'll be the person getting killed the most (I suck at FPS games)

Frenden

Banned
I think all items purchased/unlocked with Blackjack save immediately there, but mission progress is saved as you finish a level. It's been a while since I played SP, so I may be wrong.

Hopefully my connectivity issues are a temporary PSN overload deal or the patch fixes it (I'd been connecting fine).

New maps are exciting. I haven't had a lot of time for traditional, sit down gaming, so KZ:M has been my go to for a while. I didn't expect them to support this for so long.

Just got my first Ace valor card. I've been stuck on King. Woo!

Zen

Banned
Picked this up on Black Friday. Only thing I don't like is the save structure. I did see comments online that it saves at the armory stores, but I've not managed to get this to work.

So save at the end of mission only? That's a pain.

Everything else is amazing! If I play MP,
I'll be the person getting killed the most (I suck at FPS games)

That's weird, it always auto checkpoints for me at the armory (as long as you access it).

Frenden

Banned
The missions have internal checkpoints, but they're not a hard save. If you exit the app/close it out completely, you have to restart the mission from the top, no?

Top Bottom