• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect and Move: from Vision to Retail...were their respective visions met?

Move can be good if it can be incorporated as an ALT control scheme for ''regular'' games.

mostly as the reticule pointer for shooters (FPS or 3rd PS). I don't care about cry babies crying about it making aim more easily.. the point is to aim more precisely not fight it

gutter_trash said:
Move can be good if it can be incorporated as an ALT control scheme for ''regular'' games.

mostly as the reticule pointer for shooters (FPS or 3rd PS). I don't care about cry babies crying about it making aim more easily.. the point is to aim more precisely not fight it

This is a reason im getting it. All the games they are patching the controls into to me make them worth replaying.

MrPliskin

Banned
Vinci said:
Look at the design of the thing sometime and tell me it's not blatantly based upon the Wii remote and Nunchuk. In other words, you're taking this the wrong way. Nowhere in his post did Alkaline say that Nintendo owns motion control - it's the design of the hardware that makes the connection between the two obvious, not what they do.

Here's the important question: Why the fuck does it matter if it's similar, copied, inspired, etc?

Answer? It doesn't, get on with your life. You "Win" this argument.

gutter_trash said:

This. Anything to make aiming more precise is a good thing. If you dont have something that makes other players better and you want to stay competitive I guess you should pick up a move. (there is a hook to every good product)

That is if the Move actually makes it easier

farnham

Banned
Move - When i saw it first i thought Wiimote rip off with very inferior design. And I still dont see any appeal of this and i also think the chance of this being a hit is very slim. Still im amazed that Sony apparantly has more support on Move then Nintendo ever had on Wii.

Keep this in mind. Move is a "Peripheral" that costs 50 (mote) + 30 (nunchuck) + 80 (camera) for the base set and some games require two motes. and also its for a system thats clearly dead last world wide. I dont think it will have any mass market appeal. Yet publishers seem to dissagree as they are pushing out a LOT of Move games (nintendo wouldnt dare to wish they had this kind of third party support on the wii in their most wildest dreams)

Kinect - When i first saw it i was hooked but i had worries that it will be eyetoy 2. well it looks like it is eyetoy 2 and i dont see it really taking off at all. it does not get really good support as well so in the long run it will be a surefire flop.

Overall - Move has the fullon support from publishers arguably better then wiis entire 3rd party lineup at this point. But i still dont see this taking off at that pricepoint and at this small userbase. The main problem ist that they lack a game like wii sports or wii fit. Kinect :lol :lol .

cgcg

First off the quiz game is not going to happen simply because Kinect can't track individual fingers. Then we have a demo showing some guy pretending to shoot with his hand. That's not going to happen either. Don't forget about using your feet as gas and pedal...well yea :lol Those are just few things come to mind right now. The thing is such a huge failure in terms of delivering what was promised. You were way too lenient with it going with the "it should be able to" route.

JaggedSac

cgcg said:
First off the quiz game is not going to happen simply because Kinect can't track individual fingers. Then we have a demo showing some guy pretending to shoot with his hand. That's not going to happen either. Don't forget about using your feet as gas and pedal...well yea :lol Those are just few things come to mind right now. The thing is such a huge failure in terms of delivering what was promised. You were way too lenient with it going with the "it should be able to" route.

Quiz game would be easy and well within Kinect's capabilities. And I don't recall finger tracking being necessary from that video. Anything could be used to signify that you want to answer, raising the hand, waving, a balled fist hitting your other hand like a buzzer, etc. Voice recognition to answer the questions would be the more difficult problem to solve.

Shooting with the hand was a dumb idea to begin with. But I don't see anything technically precluding it from working.

They already prototyped a game using the feet as the brake and acceleration. Now that they have sitting sorted out, using the left as brake and the right as acceleration would be trivial.

Keikoku

Banned
Both are shit supported by fanboys too blind to see that motion gaming is the most sterile thing of this generation.

Lyonaz

farnham said:
Keep this in mind. Move is a "Peripheral" that costs 50 (mote) + 30 (nunchuck) + 80 (camera) for the base set and some games require two motes.

The Eyetoy is 40 separately and for the bundle (Eyetoy + Move + game) 100.
Nunchuck is optional.

farnham

Banned
Lyonaz said:
The Eyetoy is 40 separately and for the bundle (Eyetoy + Move + game) 100.
Nunchuck is optional.
well still thats pretty costly considering you need two motes for some games and you will probably want multiplayer

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Jive Turkey said:
Come on ghst...You're better than this. If you had written:

kinect looks like a failed attempt at doing something new.
move looks like a failed attempt at doing something old.

This thread would have 80 pages by now.

move looks like a failed attempt at doing something new.

clear now?

Triple U

Banned
ghst said:

clear now?
its just as wrong as the first time you posted it...

chubigans said:
I don't disagree with you there...but the purpose of the article was if MS was able to get close to their original vision. They mostly succeeded. Whether or not this will turn into anything games wise is another discussion.

I personally thought you were a bit too generous here, and too strict there. Above all, it feels as if this kind of article just doesn't really do justice to either of the technologies, and it feels as if a lack of technical understanding is to blame. It's more than fine for a blog entry, mind, but personally I would categorise the type of experiences shown into general techniques (say, augmented reality, 3d object recognition), put them against what we now know against the tech to determine its theoretical possibilities and limitations, and then catalogue the examples that we can currently find of actual gameplay out there.

With that in mind, let's look at a few details:

Body Tracking
The Vision: As Anton walks around the stage, the game (in a first person viewpoint) also follows Anton’s body as he moves close, far, and side to side. He’s not simply stepping slightly in a direction…he’s walking around actively as the Move is being used as the gun/camera orientation.
The Reality: since we are following the direction of the gun, the only really relevant part here is the 3D location of the gun. In other words, we've got the camera viewpoint and aiming reticule at the position of the tip of the Move controller. Since we can track the exact position and orientation of the Move controller in 3D space, you don't need any body tracking for this whatsoever.

The first real body tracking shown for the Move in tech demo form is actually the robot-overlay thing. It uses a combination of two Move controllers and face recognition / head-tracking. Parts of this is actually used already in a few games. In table tennis, you can move closer to and further away from the table, which I think was pointed to use face recognition to help determine the position, although since when you are playing you are in first person view, here too only the position of the paddle is relevant so face tracking may have been foregone altogether in the end. In The Shoot, you can duck down and sideways, though again I don't know if this uses face tracking. Face tracking is in Gran Turismo 5, but here there's no Move being used. The only game where I do think face tracking is actually used, is in The Fight: Lights Out. Of course there are also games like the Kung Fu one, but that one belongs more to the object scanning, of which more later.

Controller Utilization
The Vision: A variety of different Move implementations shown in painting, in an RTS type situation and more.
The Reality: Beat Sketchers, EyePet, Socom 4, and Start the Party show the painting bit. The RTS situation shown at E3 2009 was very primitive compared to this years version with the clever paint selection mechanism, and RUSE contains a lot more than that, showing a really effective implementation of the Move (pull up/down for zooming out/in for instance, left/right for turning the camera left right, etc. besides the regular selection options). Even if you find this vision unambitious (being: you'll find that this controller works well in a variety of more hardcore game types, not just a hand full of party game stuff), it has been fully realised - there is a wide spectrum of Move support in games out there (including, say, RUSE, MAG beta, and Resident Evil 5) showing that the Move controller is indeed effective for these types of more hardcore game types.

Sports demo and 1:1 combat
You raise an interesting point. Although in earlier versions of Archery in SC I saw it was still in there, it may be that in the final game (I have no access to that), they have changed it because the second Move controller controlling the arrow can too easily be blocked out by the first one. In this case they may be relying more on less precise measurements from the combination of gyro and accellerometer alone. (Was it already confirmed that this 100% force thing isn't just for the lower difficulty settings?)

Move: Final Thoughts
I think a little bit of credit should perhaps also go to not only the sheer volume and breadth of games (almost 50 games to support Move this year, if not more, and covering game control types ranging from mouse, touch, and lightgun all with a high degree of success as well as adding the 3D pointer, 1:1 tracking and AR tech of its own), but also to the actual implementations of the tech demoes often going beyond the tech demoes considerably in many games, already before the hardware is out there. Kudos I think to EyePet in particular for doing a bunch of things that were shown in Milo, like for instance taking a real-life drawing from you and bringing it into the game, and then even bringing it to life in the form of for instance a car that you can drive yourself with the DS3 as a remote controller, that the EyePet then chases (and EyePet already did it in 2009, when the European version released - I've recently been playing it again, look forward to the Move version).

As for all the Wii-mote vs Move vs EyeToy discussions, Richard Marks made this pretty clear himself: for the longest time he and his team believed that controllerless gaming was the holy grail, and they tried and tried to get it working to the point where it worked well enough in a large variety of games. They couldn't figure it out (even PrimeSense, which was shown first to Sony and Nintendo before it came to Microsoft, and there are ancient videos out there were Sony tries out the tech) didn't match up to their own requirements. Then Nintendo comes along, brings out a controller based system that proves to be wildly popular. Lesson for Marks' team?: we don't actually have to get rid of the controller completely at all. As long as we keep it simple enough, plenty of 'casuals' still get it, and get it in a big way even with the limitations of Nintendo's pioneering device. So credit, from Marks himself, to where credit is due. At the same time, there should be no mistake whatsoever that the Move takes things considerably beyond what Nintendo is doing. It may be confusing for onlookers that the Move can replicate everything the Wii and Motion+ can do (bar mimicking a phone), but you really have to want to not look to say that the Move doesn't take things considerably beyond that with persistent and highly accurate 1:1 tracking (and pointing), lag-free augmented reality, analog triggers, quality rumble and visual feedback.

Going to Kinect:

Voice Communication/Fighting Gameplay
You give Microsoft too much credit here. The technology is not fast enough to do this at this point. Look at Ubisoft's fighting game as a good example by ending up doing things completely differently. Lag on full body motion tracking is simply too high for a fighting game, unless you're simulating a fight where both fighters are already worn out, beaten to a pulp and very, very tired. Both more shocking (but also to some extent redeeming) perhaps is that a surprising number of games forego the more laggy skeletal tracking offered by Kinect's SDK and instead process the 3D point cloud themselves. When it comes to voice communication, this has always been about libraries in the first place. Several games and these days even phones (the iPhone is pretty good at this I'm finding), including Sing Star on the PS3, have done this in the past. The vision was more than anything else that Microsoft could do it using the Kinect's microphones, and offer an SDK for all developers to use. Right now however, they seem to struggle to even get it into the NXE in time and everywhere, and can only offer a few languages day one. So yeah, while in theory you can fight using your own body, in practice no game will be able to use it the way we were promised it would, and the same as yet holds for voice recognition.

Virtual Peripherals
I'd say mostly a success. You cannot do it sitting down as yet,and when you can, there is currently not yet any hint that the game will be able to track your leg for accelleration. Even when standing that seemed not to work in anything more than an on/off manner, hence both Joyride and Forza so far showing only auto-accelleration gameplay. Kinect can't track anything from the elbow down either, so that poses additional limits. As multiplayer is confirmed to be limited to 2 players, that amounts to a large number of reasons why Kinect would not be able to do the four players simulating pressing a quizz button. It would have to be something like raising hands - a manual interpretation of the point-cloud may be able to do this, perhaps. In the scope of ambition perhaps all this seems almost trivial, but these are still far larger limitations than any qualification we have had to make on Move functionality as it was presented to us.

Full Body Motion Capture
No real comments here, other than the qualifications already made above: fewer body points are tracked, and bodies can't reliably be tracked unless standing clear of anything around you, and there's a decent amount of lag limiting its real-time use.

Your use of Your Shape as an example is unfortunate though, as this actually doesn't appear to be using full body motion capture, but analyses only what it needs (as the exercises are pre-defined, they just need to match that with what you're doing so that's relatively easy to do) straight from the point-cloud itself. Dance Central is the best example of using this as lag-free as possible that you're ever going to get I think, as they very cleverly hide the lag by not showing your movements on the screen, and instead ranking your movement against the dancer showing you what to do. A small delay there is not a problem, so that your real-time movements are equal to that on-screen. The game can also guess if you're going to have done well enough (by matching the first 90%, say), so it can give the feedback right at the end of the movement, further reinforcing the appearance of lag-free gameplay. Excellent work, and the game deserves all the recognition it's been getting.

Scanning Real World Objects
Actually, isolating an object like shown in the picture should be fairly easy for Kinect. The point cloud is 3D, and this helps a great deal. See also the discussion on this matter from the Yoostar developers. However, as you point out the resolution of the point cloud is only 320x240, so that is indeed a limitation and gives a really jagged outline of what to grab (which is exactly what an early version of Yoostar on 360 showed). This means in the end you still need a clever algorithm to use both the point cloud and the regular camera feed to get a nice image. But yeah, we haven't seen it used like that yet, though perhaps you could take the Your Shape demonstration as an example where the demonstrating lady at E3 2010 takes off her vest and you can see it separate from her and then disappear. It shows that, of course with the qualifications we made regarding resolution, it should be possible.

The other topics are covered already above (phew, as this post is getting LONG)

Kinect: Final Thoughts
I think Kinect can be very, very powerful in the two very big genres of dancing and fitness. And that may be already more than enough to make this device a big success. What it's applications will be beyond that though, I have fairly strong doubts on, and can't help but feeling that it will take adding a motion controller with buttons to make it really great.

Here's why:I think, let there be no mistake about this, that both Kinect and Move bring in highly valuable new control mechanisms. Full body tracking is a small miracle. A precise, practically lag free 3D pointer another. However, people's most valuable 'controllers' are their hands, and their abilities to handle tools, and all our most important interfaces with computers, machines, tools, cars and whatnot depend on those more than anything else. The Move covers by far the larger part of this toolset, with accurate and immediate representation of whatever we do to manipulate its position with our fingers and wrists, and the ability to apply pressure from two sides through the analog Trigger and Action buttons.

So, for general interfacing, and for games in particular, I highly prefer Move for now, and dream of a future that gives us both technologies on one platform.

farnham

Banned
Maastricht said:
I personally thought you were a bit too generous here, and too strict there. Above all, it feels as if this kind of article just doesn't really do justice to either of the technologies, and it feels as if a lack of technical understanding is to blame. It's more than fine for a blog entry, mind, but personally I would categorise the type of experiences shown into general techniques (say, augmented reality, 3d object recognition), put them against what we now know against the tech to determine its theoretical possibilities and limitations, and then catalogue the examples that we can currently find of actual gameplay out there.

With that in mind, let's look at a few details:

Body Tracking
The Vision: As Anton walks around the stage, the game (in a first person viewpoint) also follows Anton’s body as he moves close, far, and side to side. He’s not simply stepping slightly in a direction…he’s walking around actively as the Move is being used as the gun/camera orientation.
The Reality: since we are following the direction of the gun, the only really relevant part here is the 3D location of the gun. In other words, we've got the camera viewpoint and aiming reticule at the position of the tip of the Move controller. Since we can track the exact position and orientation of the Move controller in 3D space, you don't need any body tracking for this whatsoever.

The first real body tracking shown for the Move in tech demo form is actually the robot-overlay thing. It uses a combination of two Move controllers and face recognition / head-tracking. Parts of this is actually used already in a few games. In table tennis, you can move closer to and further away from the table, which I think was pointed to use face recognition to help determine the position, although since when you are playing you are in first person view, here too only the position of the paddle is relevant so face tracking may have been foregone altogether in the end. In The Shoot, you can duck down and sideways, though again I don't know if this uses face tracking. Face tracking is in Gran Turismo 5, but here there's no Move being used. The only game where I do think face tracking is actually used, is in The Fight: Lights Out. Of course there are also games like the Kung Fu one, but that one belongs more to the object scanning, of which more later.

Controller Utilization
The Vision: A variety of different Move implementations shown in painting, in an RTS type situation and more.
The Reality: Beat Sketchers, EyePet, Socom 4, and Start the Party show the painting bit. The RTS situation shown at E3 2009 was very primitive compared to this years version with the clever paint selection mechanism, and RUSE contains a lot more than that, showing a really effective implementation of the Move (pull up/down for zooming out/in for instance, left/right for turning the camera left right, etc. besides the regular selection options). Even if you find this vision unambitious (being: you'll find that this controller works well in a variety of more hardcore game types, not just a hand full of party game stuff), it has been fully realised - there is a wide spectrum of Move support in games out there (including, say, RUSE, MAG beta, and Resident Evil 5) showing that the Move controller is indeed effective for these types of more hardcore game types.

Sports demo and 1:1 combat
You raise an interesting point. Although in earlier versions of Archery in SC I saw it was still in there, it may be that in the final game (I have no access to that), they have changed it because the second Move controller controlling the arrow can too easily be blocked out by the first one. In this case they may be relying more on less precise measurements from the combination of gyro and accellerometer alone. (Was it already confirmed that this 100% force thing isn't just for the lower difficulty settings?)

Move: Final Thoughts
I think a little bit of credit should perhaps also go to not only the sheer volume and breadth of games (almost 50 games to support Move this year, if not more, and covering game control types ranging from mouse, touch, and lightgun all with a high degree of success as well as adding the 3D pointer, 1:1 tracking and AR tech of its own), but also to the actual implementations of the tech demoes often going beyond the tech demoes considerably in many games, already before the hardware is out there. Kudos I think to EyePet in particular for doing a bunch of things that were shown in Milo, like for instance taking a real-life drawing from you and bringing it into the game, and then even bringing it to life in the form of for instance a car that you can drive yourself with the DS3 as a remote controller, that the EyePet then chases (and EyePet already did it in 2009, when the European version released - I've recently been playing it again, look forward to the Move version).

As for all the Wii-mote vs Move vs EyeToy discussions, Richard Marks made this pretty clear himself: for the longest time he and his team believed that controllerless gaming was the holy grail, and they tried and tried to get it working to the point where it worked well enough in a large variety of games. They couldn't figure it out (even PrimeSense, which was shown first to Sony and Nintendo before it came to Microsoft, and there are ancient videos out there were Sony tries out the tech) didn't match up to their own requirements. Then Nintendo comes along, brings out a controller based system that proves to be wildly popular. Lesson for Marks' team?: we don't actually have to get rid of the controller completely at all. As long as we keep it simple enough, plenty of 'casuals' still get it, and get it in a big way even with the limitations of Nintendo's pioneering device. So credit, from Marks himself, to where credit is due. At the same time, there should be no mistake whatsoever that the Move takes things considerably beyond what Nintendo is doing. It may be confusing for onlookers that the Move can replicate everything the Wii and Motion+ can do (bar mimicking a phone), but you really have to want to not look to say that the Move doesn't take things considerably beyond that with persistent and highly accurate 1:1 tracking (and pointing), lag-free augmented reality, analog triggers, quality rumble and visual feedback.

Going to Kinect:

Voice Communication/Fighting Gameplay
You give Microsoft too much credit here. The technology is not fast enough to do this at this point. Look at Ubisoft's fighting game as a good example by ending up doing things completely differently. Lag on full body motion tracking is simply too high for a fighting game, unless you're simulating a fight where both fighters are already worn out, beaten to a pulp and very, very tired. Both more shocking (but also to some extent redeeming) perhaps is that a surprising number of games forego the more laggy skeletal tracking offered by Kinect's SDK and instead process the 3D point cloud themselves. When it comes to voice communication, this has always been about libraries in the first place. Several games and these days even phones (the iPhone is pretty good at this I'm finding), including Sing Star on the PS3, have done this in the past. The vision was more than anything else that Microsoft could do it using the Kinect's microphones, and offer an SDK for all developers to use. Right now however, they seem to struggle to even get it into the NXE in time and everywhere, and can only offer a few languages day one. So yeah, while in theory you can fight using your own body, in practice no game will be able to use it the way we were promised it would, and the same as yet holds for voice recognition.

Virtual Peripherals
I'd say mostly a success. You cannot do it sitting down as yet,and when you can, there is currently not yet any hint that the game will be able to track your leg for accelleration. Even when standing that seemed not to work in anything more than an on/off manner, hence both Joyride and Forza so far showing only auto-accelleration gameplay. Kinect can't track anything from the elbow down either, so that poses additional limits. As multiplayer is confirmed to be limited to 2 players, that amounts to a large number of reasons why Kinect would not be able to do the four players simulating pressing a quizz button. It would have to be something like raising hands - a manual interpretation of the point-cloud may be able to do this, perhaps. In the scope of ambition perhaps all this seems almost trivial, but these are still far larger limitations than any qualification we have had to make on Move functionality as it was presented to us.

Full Body Motion Capture
No real comments here, other than the qualifications already made above: fewer body points are tracked, and bodies can't reliably be tracked unless standing clear of anything around you, and there's a decent amount of lag limiting its real-time use.

Your use of Your Shape as an example is unfortunate though, as this actually doesn't appear to be using full body motion capture, but analyses only what it needs (as the exercises are pre-defined, they just need to match that with what you're doing so that's relatively easy to do) straight from the point-cloud itself. Dance Central is the best example of using this as lag-free as possible that you're ever going to get I think, as they very cleverly hide the lag by not showing your movements on the screen, and instead ranking your movement against the dancer showing you what to do. A small delay there is not a problem, so that your real-time movements are equal to that on-screen. The game can also guess if you're going to have done well enough (by matching the first 90%, say), so it can give the feedback right at the end of the movement, further reinforcing the appearance of lag-free gameplay. Excellent work, and the game deserves all the recognition it's been getting.

Scanning Real World Objects
Actually, isolating an object like shown in the picture should be fairly easy for Kinect. The point cloud is 3D, and this helps a great deal. See also the discussion on this matter from the Yoostar developers. However, as you point out the resolution of the point cloud is only 320x240, so that is indeed a limitation and gives a really jagged outline of what to grab (which is exactly what an early version of Yoostar on 360 showed). This means in the end you still need a clever algorithm to use both the point cloud and the regular camera feed to get a nice image. But yeah, we haven't seen it used like that yet, though perhaps you could take the Your Shape demonstration as an example where the demonstrating lady at E3 2010 takes off her vest and you can see it separate from her and then disappear. It shows that, of course with the qualifications we made regarding resolution, it should be possible.

The other topics are covered already above (phew, as this post is getting LONG)

Kinect: Final Thoughts
I think Kinect can be very, very powerful in the two very big genres of dancing and fitness. And that may be already more than enough to make this device a big success. What it's applications will be beyond that though, I have fairly strong doubts on, and can't help but feeling that it will take adding a motion controller with buttons to make it really great.

Here's why:I think, let there be no mistake about this, that both Kinect and Move bring in highly valuable new control mechanisms. Full body tracking is a small miracle. A precise, practically lag free 3D pointer another. However, people's most valuable 'controllers' are their hands, and their abilities to handle tools, and all our most important interfaces with computers, machines, tools, cars and whatnot depend on those more than anything else. The Move covers by far the larger part of this toolset, with accurate and immediate representation of whatever we do to manipulate its position with our fingers and wrists, and the ability to apply pressure from two sides through the analog Trigger and Action buttons.

So, for general interfacing, and for games in particular, I highly prefer Move for now, and dream of a future that gives us both technologies on one platform.

as long as the balanceboard directly tells you how fat you are i believe it got fitness games down.

J-Rzez said:
I'm still not 100% sold on Move. But it's odd though, I expected all these new wild game designs for Kinect which could be interesting but none of them came to fruition. I expected it to impress me more than Move, but that's not the case. It came down to once again the importance of First-Party resources. Sony was able to implement Move into their hardcore games, while also creating all this casual stuff. This is why Move seems to have a brighter future. It basically did everything Sony said it could.

But I agree, Sony played it safe here not creating unreachable hype, which the final product would under deliver, but made some reasonable expectations and delivers on that. MS on the other hand took Sony's old tactic, and it came back to crush them.

I don't think Kinect's failure to have at least one decent core game has anything to do with lack of first party resources at MS. Biggest problem is that application of Kinect is highly limited when it comes to traditional games. Not to forget Kinect itself is a gimped hardware now.

ghst said:

clear now?

:lol I get it now, Or at least I've found one possible funny interpretation. I'd have just emphasised the last two words.

Shurs

No mention in the article that Kinect's target video showed four players playing at the same time and the final product only allows for two players?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Pre-E3 2010:
Kinect: Oh wow, this is the future of game design. I don't always like microsoft, but it looks like they're doing something great.
Move: WiiRemote rip-off. *yawn*

Post-E3 2010
Kinect: So....its basically an upgraded EyeToy? Practically nothing from the reality looks even close to the accuracy of the demo? Only one traditional game even touched upon? .....godamnit, that teaches me to get my hopes up.

Move: ....but its a strong WiiRemote rip off. This is....actually looking really good.

venne

TheExecutive said:
This. Anything to make aiming more precise is a good thing. If you dont have something that makes other players better and you want to stay competitive I guess you should pick up a move. (there is a hook to every good product)

Or they could just allow mouse and keyboard support.

The_Technomancer said:
Pre-E3 2010:
Kinect: Oh wow, this is the future of game design. I don't always like microsoft, but it looks like they're doing something great.

Yes, this is exactly what the majority of GAF was saying. No revisionist history here.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'd say both meant their expectations. Move is a bit more advance Wii Clone. They went with something already done. But it's also a lifeless clone, since they can't match Nintendo's creative output.

Kinect on the other hand, went with something a lot more aggressive. I think most figured it wouldn't be as good as their Concept videos(Staged bullshit demos) made it out to be. Yet, how it looks currently is just an overpriced, barely functional PoS.

Sydle

cgcg said:
That was a lame shit article. With the Move portion they pretty much named a game in each category with its pros and cons while with Kinect it's basically it's "should be able to" "could be" with no mentioning of specific games.

This. An article like this won't be of any value until both products have been out for a while, and even after, let's say 6 months you still won't be able to conclude if their respective visions were met. It's not like their lifecycles are only 6 months out. Kinect, for example, we know will continue to get better as its SDK matures and developers come to grips with it. I expect the same of Move.

In any case, it looks like it met GAF standards (
they are low
) as there's a discussion going on about it somehow..

farnham

Banned
shintoki said:
I'd say both meant their expectations. Move is a bit more advance Wii Clone. They went with something already done. But it's also a lifeless clone, since they can't match Nintendo's creative output.

Kinect on the other hand, went with something a lot more aggressive. I think most figured it wouldn't be as good as their Concept videos(Staged bullshit demos) made it out to be. Yet, how it looks currently is just an overpriced, barely functional PoS.
i dont know it will be 3rd parties vs. nintendo from now on with move vs. wii as the wii has no third party games whatsoever while it has strong nintendo first party and move has all the thirdparty support while the firstparty is lacking in comparison.

kinect.. is :lol :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely agree with the general sentiment.

Move delivered on its technology promises, but the initial software is lackluster. It actually seems like this will be used in many core games, however, which makes it much more appealing in the long run.

Kinect is nothing like Microsoft was first demonstrating it to be. So much of its functionality has be neutered and we are left with the f*cking Eye-Toy Plus.

Unfortunately, due to the design of my home theater, none of these will be practical so I won't be able to enjoy this at all.

dark10x said:
Kinect is nothing like Microsoft was first demonstrating it to be. So much of its functionality has be neutered and we are left with the f*cking Eye-Toy Plus.

See, I don't really agree with this. It's clear MS has significantly improved the SDK even from 6 mos ago (LOL YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN). But maybe your expectations were way different than mine.

Shurs said:
No mention in the article that Kinect's target video showed four players playing at the same time and the final product only allows for two players?

The target video only showed more than two players in the family trivia game segment. That still might be possible because the two player limit only applies to full skeletal tracking.

Paco said:
This. An article like this won't be of any value until both products have been out for a while, and even after, let's say 6 months you still won't be able to conclude if their respective visions were met. It's not like their lifecycles are only 6 months out. Kinect, for example, we know will continue to get better as its SDK matures and developers come to grips with it. I expect the same of Move.

Exactly. It's like judging whether Sony's, Microsoft's and Nintendo's current gen visions have been met based solely on PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii launch software and services. But this thread surely is an entertaining read, one to bookmark and dig out some three or four years from now.

yurinka

Drkirby said:
Is there a reason Kinect has a lower resolution Camera then the DSi? I mean, how much more can it cost for a camera at the original resolution?
The reason (maybe the main) is to reduce lag and CPU/memory usage, in addition to reduce costs.

Less resolution means less acuracy, but also less pixels to analyze so faster CPU work and less memory space needed to allow them.

Drkirby said:
Does it use some super fancy camera?
Does the DSi camera performs 3D IR full body motion tracking recognition?

shintoki said:

So what is Nintendo's great creative output again? I will say that with the exception of SMG and SMG2 I cant think of anything that is so creative as to make that statement.

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
The target video only showed more than two players in the family trivia game segment. That still might be possible because the two player limit only applies to full skeletal tracking.

Nearly all of the Kinect portion of this article is based on possibilities rather than reality.

We've seen nothing showing 4 player gaming with Kinect, so at this point, there is no 4 player support.

farnham

Banned
TheExecutive said:
So what is Nintendo's great creative output again? I will say that with the exception of SMG and SMG2 I cant think of anything that is so creative as to make that statement.
i dont want any listwars as those will probably get you banned

but :lol :lol if you think that the limited internal move developers are superior to nintendos output.

has sony had any 20 million + selling software this gen ?

farnham said:

but :lol :lol if you think that the limited internal move developers are superior to nintendos output.

has sony had any 20 million + selling software this gen?

what does this have to do with creative software? not really saying that nintendo is better than sony or vice-versa also.

farnham

Banned
kazuma_pt said:
what does this have to do with creative software? not really saying that nintendo is better than sony or vice-versa also.
well
1. this is a business. so many software sold -> more profits -> better game for the respective publisher
2. sales also reflect what the general public liked. especially if its a game that achieved the sales over several years.

Suzzopher

farnham said:
well
1. this is a business. so many software sold -> more profits -> better game for the respective publisher
2. sales also reflect what the general public liked. especially if its a game that achieved the sales over several years.

Sony back their studios and their IP. Sales figures may not be high but they are respected by those in charge. They don't just shelve them. I admire that in Sony.

Paco said:

In any case, it looks like it met GAF standards (
they are low
) as there's a discussion going on about it somehow..

This statement is pretty much assuming that developers will actually put in the effort to build an entire game around a peripheral device that may or may not sell well. Its an entirely new platform that must sell well with an already existing system and since it isn't targeting the people who already bought the system they will need to sell the casual crowd on a $400 system. Its going to be a rocky road for Kinnect. That being said Move finds itself in a similar position (it is a peripheral in the middle of a console cycle) but the Move is in an infinitely better spot because:

A) It can be put into games as an option (Not a huge amount of overhead for the developer)
B) Many developers have at least some experience now with the sort of motion control the Move has
C) If Sony throws its first party weight around just a little bit there should be enough content to supply the Move. On the flip side MS devoured many of its first party studios and now must rely on 3rd party support. Something they havent had to worry about yet because games sell well on the 360. However, if they dont sell well with Kinnect they wont have the capacity to pick up the slack.

Shurs said:
Nearly all of the Kinect portion of this article is based on possibilities rather than reality.

We've seen nothing showing 4 player gaming with Kinect, so at this point, there is no 4 player support.
My recollection is that it can track the location of around 8 people (presumably so that it doesn't start switching between random people), but it can only do skeleton analysis on 2 people max.

Those videos with 4 people hopping around probably seem to imply that 4 people are playing, but it could be 2 people playing and 2 people pretending to be playing.

farnham

Banned
Suzzopher said:
Sony back their studios and their IP. Sales figures may not be high but they are respected by those in charge. They don't just shelve them. I admire that in Sony.
who doesnt . Nintendo should just abandon Zelda, Metroid and a bunch of other games in favor to more mario, pokemon, nintendogs, brain training and wii___ games but they are still making those.

Shurs

Lance Bone Path said:
Those videos with 4 people hopping around probably seem to imply that 4 people are playing, but it could be 2 people playing and 2 people pretending to be playing.

What are you talking about?

Suzzopher

farnham said:
who doesnt . Nintendo should just abandon Zelda, Metroid and a bunch of other games in favor to more mario, pokemon, nintendogs, brain training and wii___ games but they are still making those.

Zelda sells, in big numbers, bigger than Sony IPs anyway. Metroids could well make more money than most Sony IPs. I don't see what you are getting at. You seem to be intent to hate here with no reason. Sony studios have a lot of creative freedom(trust me on this) and sales do not equal success internally. Sure having a game sell over a million is great for business and all businesses are about making money, but this isn't the be all and end all within side the PlayStation studios.

Shurs said:

That's completely ridiculous and you know it. Just because there's no game that uses a certain feature in the launch line-up, doesn't mean the feature is not supported at all. Hell, we've seen Live Vision games with support for up to 4 players (admittedly, not in the same way, but I don't see why it wouldn't be doable).

farnham said:

has sony had any 20 million + selling software this gen ?

I never said anything about Move developers. I was talking about the publishers as a whole. I am not looking for lists just pointing out the inconsistancy I saw in the post. That is all. Oh and sales figures have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with creativity. But this will be my last post on the subject as it may be leaning a little off-subject for the OP.

farnham

Banned
Suzzopher said:
Zelda sells, in big numbers, bigger than Sony IPs anyway. Metroids could well make more money than most Sony IPs. I don't see what you are getting at. You seem to be intent to hate here with no reason. Sony studios have a lot of creative freedom(trust me on this) and sales do not equal success internally. Sure having a game sell over a million is great for business and all businesses are about making money, but this isn't the be all and end all within side the PlayStation studios.
compare zelda to wii sports or any wii__ game except wii music. also how do you know whats going on within nintendo EAD or any nintendo developement studios. we dont have much information except some interviews with the directors. from all what we know they always make small gameplay demos and build the games around them. that development culture has been made into a game and thats called wario ware btw. seems to be a lot of freedom to me.

TheExecutive said:
I never said anything about Move developers. I was talking about the publishers as a whole. I am not looking for lists just pointing out the inconsistancy I saw in the post. That is all. Oh and sales figures have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with creativity. But this will be my last post on the subject as it may be leaning a little off-subject for the OP.
i thought this was a move&kinect thread. so obviously i made thought we are only talking about wii, move and kinect development. but even if we look at sony vs. nintendo i dont think that the picture changes a lot either. Nintendo has made many many high quality games on wii and ds.

farnham said:
well

The general public also likes Miley Cyrus, Twilight and COD. Stop using sales as proof of quality, it's stupid beyond imagination. And I will agree with TheExecutive. This gen Nintendo has developed games with SNES era gameplay and graphics, a ton of boring and incredibly superficial party games like Wii Sports and last but not least, SMG which is indeed a breath of fresh air. I know Nintendo fans love to take as a given Nintendo's "creativity" without giving any proof but please enlighten us.

Sydle

TheExecutive said:
This statement is pretty much assuming that developers will actually put in the effort to build an entire game around a peripheral device that may or may not sell well. Its an entirely new platform that must sell well with an already existing system and since it isn't targeting the people who already bought the system they will need to sell the casual crowd on a $400 system. Its going to be a rocky road for Kinnect. That being said Move finds itself in a similar position (it is a peripheral in the middle of a console cycle) but the Move is in an infinitely better spot because:

A) It can be put into games as an option (Not a huge amount of overhead for the developer)
B) Many developers have at least some experience now with the sort of motion control the Move has
C) If Sony throws its first party weight around just a little bit there should be enough content to supply the Move. On the flip side MS devoured many of its first party studios and now must rely on 3rd party support. Something they havent had to worry about yet because games sell well on the 360. However, if they dont sell well with Kinnect they wont have the capacity to pick up the slack.

Whatever, I'm not going to guess at outcomes.

The original question of if visions were met really can't be answered until the peak or the end of the product's life cycle. Drawing conclusions now is like if I shared my vision of what I hope to accomplish during this 3-day weekend and people are already decided on my success before 9:30 am on the first day. Ridiculous.

Noshino

farnham said:
well

And that hasn't worked that well.... at least for me, Nintendo released much better games during the previous generations than on this one :lol

Suzzopher

farnham said:
compare zelda to wii sports or any wii__ game except wii music. also how do you know whats going on within nintendo EAD or any nintendo developement studios. we dont have much information except some interviews with the directors. from all what we know they always make small gameplay demos and build the games around them. that development culture has been made into a game and thats called wario ware btw. seems to be a lot of freedom to me.

You sir are a first class looney:lol

I don't recall ever saying anything against Nintendo, all I was doing is shitting on your post for being wrong.

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That's completely ridiculous and you know it. Just because there's no game that uses a certain feature in the launch line-up, doesn't mean the feature is not supported at all. Hell, we've seen Live Vision games with support for up to 4 players.

4 player compatibility seems like it would be a great selling point for the value of Kinect, you'd think that, if it was possible, at least one launch game would feature it.

Top Bottom