• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect and Move: from Vision to Retail...were their respective visions met?

Wizpig

TheExecutive said:
All on top of a controller that works better than the wiimote. They are basically doing NOW what Nintendo is probably GOING to do next generation.
You think Nintendo will just simply continue with the Wiimote (or Wiimote 2.0, similar to the Move) in the next gen?

Oh, well, you will be proven wrong. ;)
It also looks like you only want to follow Sony, so it's not going to be a problem for you.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
cgcg said:
That was a lame shit article. With the Move portion they pretty much named a game in each category with its pros and cons while with Kinect it's basically it's "should be able to" "could be" with no mentioning of specific games.
There were eight features in the Kinect video. I was able to put two of them to two launch games. Two other features were used within the dash board. Two features aren't really feasible at all, so I can't match them to launch games. And two features aren't specific at all that every single launch title will be using it day one (body tracking).

It's not my fault I can't match them to more games. That's just how the video is.

Suzzopher

Move has had so many years in the oven to be get it right, shame development of software for it is so uninspired so far. But the tools and libraries for the tech will be so refined that studios should be making some special games in a years time.

Kinect was technology purchased. Of course it will be having teething problems. The libraries will need a lot of work to get 3rd parties to get the most out of the tech. Kinect looks and sounds like a complete rush job, to extend the life of the 360 and to get as much money from the casual crowd as possible before that audience fades away, this time may already have passed. Is it coincidence that 3DS seems to be aimed at the core gaming crowd?

_Alkaline_ said:
Given the absurd success of the Wii, the introduction of millions of new gamers, and the creation of some truly fantastic software, I think Nintendo's creative vision has already been realised.

Certainly Move cleans out and polishes some of the rough edges of Nintendo's motion control technology, which is no doubt a solid drawcard for both existing audiences and new gamers (moreso the former - I have doubts that the latter will buy the system in droves just because of Move), but I wouldn't say that the Wii failed to achieve Nintendo's creative vision.

That is, unless your vision and their vision differ significantly. The Wii Remote does lack some precision, particularly in its motion controls (the IR control on the other hand is quite excellent), but I would say that the move of a major gaming company to bring in motion controls as a standard control device was a pretty bold one that deserves to be applauded, particularly given just how well the system has performed (both commercially and in terms of software - I'm talking first party software here).

I think the issue is that you are trying to restate over beaten and trodden ground again with a new coat of paint. Its a bit tiresome (Sony is the copy blah blah).

For example, you state Sony's motion controller is a knee jerk reaction to the Wiimote?

Bullshit. The SIXAXIS was the knee jerk reaction not MOVE.

Its 4 years later already. That's no longer knee jerk that is a long drawn well debated conscious decision. There is no knee jerk about it.

Knee jerk meaning you had a half baked and poorly thought reaction. The MOVE is not poorly thought out its very deliberate.

shinnn

chubigans said:
There were never any Move concept videos, so I had to work with what I had. I mentioned that many times in the article. :)
You worked at it? Looks like you don't know too much about actual games on Kinect.

The soccer game you mentioned is already in Kinect Sports and you play very close to the concept video. But you used "Your Shape" as a example lol.

And about the scanning thing. Kinectmals scans some stuffed toys to the game (uses some kind of bar code). You are missing some information.

shinnn said:
You worked at it? Looks like you don't know too much about actual games on Kinect.

The soccer game you mentioned is already in Kinect Sports and you play very close to the concept video. But you used "Your Shape" as a example lol.

And about the scanning thing. Kinectmals scans some stuffed toys to the game (uses some kind of bar code). You are missing some information.

That is not what MS lead on in their concept video though. I dont remember seeing barcodes on the skateboards etc... So as far as I am concerned that little factoid is completely useless and proves against the point that I believe is trying to be made.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
shinnn said:

Scanning bar codes and scanning real world objects are worlds apart. They're not the same thing at all.

Some of you are misunderstanding my point.

I'm not saying that Sony hasn't had interest in motion controls for a while. What I'm saying is that Nintendo took the plunge, Sony saw that it was a success and eventually they release their own refined version of what Nintendo pioneered as a standard means of control.

I have no problem at all with Sony jumping on the motion bandwagon and finally releasing whatever they've been conjuring up for a while, but it's the means in which it so directly apes Nintendo's device that irks me. It barely tries anything new other than refining the foundations that Nintendo put in place - which is not a bad thing. It's just uninspiring.

You're making me out to be a Move hater. I'm not. It's just a bit plain, is all. At least it works properly, unlike Microsoft's device.

Suzzopher

chubigans said:
Scanning bar codes and scanning real world objects are worlds apart. They're not the same thing at all.

But I'll correct the soccer thing. :)

Scanning barcodes is indeed a long way from the skateboards in the initial reveal. Scanning barcodes will just activate code already in the game, it's like typing in a redemption voucher for DLC:lol

All hope for Kinect died on the vine the moment they mandated controller free gaming as the party line.

Its taken what? YEARS for devs to figure out motion control gaming and its been mostly disappointing for many gamers. Now we are going to take something fundamentally different and HARDER to implement?

People to this very day still have no idea how to offset the lack of buttons with Kinect. The only game products we have had up to this point which worked that way has been Eyetoy and those game experiences were pretty gimmicky.

So Kinect to me is essentially "Higher Precision Eyetoy" and Move is pretty much higher precision Wiimote.

_Alkaline_ said:

I'm not saying that Sony hasn't had interest in motion controls for a while. What I'm saying is that Nintendo took the plunge, Sony saw that it was a success and eventually they release their own refined version of what Nintendo pioneered as a standard means of control.

I have no problem at all with Sony jumping on the motion bandwagon and finally releasing whatever they've been conjuring up for a while, but it's the means in which it so directly apes Nintendo's device that irks me. It barely tries anything new other than refining the foundations that Nintendo put in place - which is not a bad thing. It's just uninspiring.

You're making me out to be a Move hater. I'm not. It's just a bit plain, is all. At least it works properly, unlike Microsoft's device.

Yes they did. They got rewarded HUGELY for this leap too. It was even more of a risk if you think about what Nintendo HAD to accomplish this generation. They didnt have a choice, they had to succeed. It really is amazing what they have done and where they are today compared to just a few years ago.

As for the second bolded part. I agree that the hardware doesnt' look to be anything but a much improved wiimote. however, that will be completely overshadowed in the future if Sony can provide unique gaming experiences (such as Flower which is getting patched with Move support) with the Move controller and they are in a unique place to do exactly that. Like I said in a previous post they have a massive amount of studios and a unique platform to deliver these games on called the PSN. However, only time will tell. In either case, when it comes to gaming possibilities the Move blows Kinnect out of the water and for that matter it also beats (although not by as much) the wiimote.

TheExecutive said:
Yes they did. They got rewarded HUGELY for this leap too. It was even more of a risk if you think about what Nintendo HAD to accomplish this generation. They didnt have a choice, they had to succeed. It really is amazing what they have done and where they are today compared to just a few years ago.

As for the second bolded part. I agree that the hardware doesnt' look to be anything but a much improved wiimote. however, that will be completely overshadowed in the future if Sony can provide unique gaming experiences (such as Flower which is getting patched with Move support) with the Move controller and they are in a unique place to do exactly that. Like I said in a previous post they have a massive amount of studios and a unique platform to deliver these games on called the PSN. However, only time will tell. In either case, when it comes to gaming possibilities the Move blows Kinnect out of the water and for that matter it also beats (although not by as much) the wiimote.

I don't disagree with much of this at all. Pretty much spot on, though I'd argue that what Microsoft initially alluded too with Natal was something far from promising than what we'll end up getting, and something that took great strides (not saying better strides, but certainly innovative ones) from the foundations laid by Nintendo. Moreso than Move.

But certainly Move is shaping up to be a much better realisation of its ambitions than Kinect, particularly in terms of software. I'm excited to see where Sony can take motion control.

_Alkaline_ said:

I think its clear what you are stating though. Further... I would say the consensus agrees with you already and is simply tired of reading the same thing over and over.

Did Nintendo spark a revolution? Yes. Absolutely they did 100% they took the plunge and risked something which honestly Sony/MS COULD have done but simply did not take the risk and do it. Nintendo deserves their success.

But come on sir... Now its time to move on. At some point someone in the world made the first French Fry. I probably looked down upon the second guy who copied it and maybe looked down upon the 3rd guy. 4 years later I don't care anymore. Anyone without french fries is simply STUPID because its proven that fries are popular.

shinnn

chubigans said:
This is the closest thing in actual games and should be mentioned in an article like that.

Triple U

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

I don't get whats so uninspiring. Sony is going retail with tech that they pioneered before anybody had any idea wtf nintendo was doing this gen. Its still their concept with a few minor aspects of execution borrowed from successful competition. Nobody is making you out a move hater but I am saying that it is not as "mii too" as you are making it out to be.

Guevara

UntoldDreams said:
All hope for Kinect died on the vine the moment they mandated controller free gaming as the party line.

Its taken what? YEARS for devs to figure out motion control gaming and its been mostly disappointing for many gamers. Now we are going to take something fundamentally different and HARDER to implement?

People to this very day still have no idea how to offset the lack of buttons with Kinect. The only game products we have had up to this point which worked that way has been Eyetoy and those game experiences were pretty gimmicky.

So Kinect to me is essentially "Higher Precision Eyetoy" and Move is pretty much higher precision Wiimote.

Pretty much. I can't believe anyone who had an Eyetoy could be excited for what is essentially Eyetoy+. Even Sony, having had experience with Eyetoy, decided to go with buttons :lol

distrbnce

Banned
I think in a year we will probably laugh at Wiimote/Move capability comparisons, perhaps simply because of the quality of games released, but only time will tell.

JaggedSac

Just curious, besides play.com(and other sites referencing play.com), where did the information for a downgraded depth sensor come from? Microsoft, Amazon, and every other retailer out there, has the depth spec at 640 X 480.

And MS is not keeping any developers from utilizing a controller in conjunction with Kinect. In fact, several people have talked about the possibilities. There are just none at launch that do that.

_Alkaline_ said:
I don't disagree with much of this at all. Pretty much spot on, though I'd argue that what Microsoft initially alluded too with Natal was something far from promising than what we'll end up getting, and something that took great strides (not saying better strides, but certainly innovative ones) from the foundations laid by Nintendo. Moreso than Move.

But certainly Move is shaping up to be a much better realisation of its ambitions than Kinect, particularly in terms of software. I'm excited to see where Sony can take motion control.

i would characterize strides differently. It is a greater risk yes, but strides for gaming? No way. Kinnect is NOT that practical for gaming, actions in "core" games need to be determined in a much simpler way. Kinnect cannot be used in a game such as Halo Reach without it being just a gimmick. If MS could have used Kinnect in a meaningful way I guarantee that MS would have jumped all over the opportunity to do so. It would have been a great showcase of what kinnect was capable of. I guess in a way it was, just not the way MS wanted it to be.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
ghst said:
kinect looks like a failed attempt at doing something new.
move looks like a failed attempt at doing something new.
Come on ghst...You're better than this. If you had written:

kinect looks like a failed attempt at doing something new.
move looks like a failed attempt at doing something old.

This thread would have 80 pages by now.

DrXym

Move entirely meets my expectations. The tech demos from a year ago were live and you could see the precision right there. The tech is also easy to understand. I don't think much of the launch lineup - I might bite I might not - but I expect in time there will be plenty of good reasons to use the tech.

Kinect was always overhyped. There is no way in hell it could have matched or come anywhere close to some of the absurd claims made, especially the Milo clip. I think it will be perfectly fine for kid / party / fitness games. Anything which has straightforward and simple mapping between body movement and in-game action. I think it will stink for anything more demanding.

I think its more interesting to discuss the direction the big three are going here...

1) Nintendo: Probably on autopilot I don't know of any changes forthcoming for the Wii. I think they will have more of a push with the 3DS as a focus over the Wii

2) Sony: They are going to be busy. Blu-ray movies, 3D Bravia gaming , iTunes knock off,
Movie/music rental, and oh yeah MOTION gaming. They aren't on autopilot they are all over the map. Hope they can execute.

3) MS: I think its still quite possible they could get a WIN out of this by marketing the hell out of Kinect. Its total CRAP by our gaming definitions and will NEVER deliver on what was promised (because who on Earth believes a 360 can do realistic human AI? Supercomputers fail to do this but the sub $200 360 can do it?). I think they fully intend to go the casual marketing route and sidestep the "works like crap" thing completely as far as you and I on GAF are concerned. They simply don't need us.

Noshino

_Alkaline_ said:

But that's the thing, how can the Wii be a pioneer and the Move a "copy" if Sony let everyone know that they had been working on said device (the retail unit's design doesn't differ much from the original) for such a long time, even before the Wii was even announced? (I believe at the time there were even rumors that the Revolution's control was going to be a touch screen one in which you could rearrange the buttons) :lol

Another point of yours that I wanted to bring out is that how is it that Sony is "refining the foundations that Nintendo put in place" when these foundations were set by Sony themselves with the EyeToy technology? the Move isn't Sony just working on "a" motion controller, but rather Sony working on the foundations set by the EyeToy, improving them, and then taking it even further with the Move.

Im sorry, but it is REALLY hard to claim that the Move is a carbon copy, or even a refinement of the Wii+Wiimote (from a hardware only point of view at the very least), unless you were completely unaware of Move's development.

PSGames

Very fair article.

longdi said:
The author has been too kind to Kinect. I have serious doubts that Kinect can match "project natal" in accuracy, fluidity and resolution. "project natal" is microsoft's motorstorm cgi trailer.

Have you watched that concept demo lately? Every single thing they showed in the video(barring scanning objects) has been accomplished with the launch games!

Alx

cgcg said:
That was a lame shit article. With the Move portion they pretty much named a game in each category with its pros and cons while with Kinect it's basically it's "should be able to" "could be" with no mentioning of specific games.

I agree. Even if I'm very interested in kinect and share most of the writer's opinion on what could or could not be done, that's not a legit "vision to retail" comparison.

chubigans said:

Well actually with the kinect tech, scanning objects is even easier than scanning bar codes. You don't even have to extract a meaning from the object, only take a picture and slap it on an ingame model. Which a standard camera can do too, the only potentially difficult part was detecting the outline of the object, but with depth measurement, that's a piece of cake.

Guevara

UntoldDreams said:
2) Sony: They are going to be busy. Blu-ray movies, 3D Bravia gaming , iTunes knock off, Movie/music rental, and oh yeah MOTION gaming. They aren't on autopilot they are all over the map. Hope they can execute.

Sony is focusing on even more bullshit I don't care about at the present.

DrXym

Alx said:
I agree. Even if I'm very interested in kinect and share most of the writer's opinion on what could or could not be done, that's not a legit "vision to retail" comparison.

Well actually with the kinect tech, scanning objects is even easier than scanning bar codes. You don't even have to extract a meaning from the object, only take a picture and slap it on an ingame model.

To be fair MS has a few months until retail so impressions can't so easily be drawn. However MS are not doing themselves any favours by showing so many "visions" and phoney baloney demos.

longdi

Banned
PSGames said:
Very fair article.

Have you watched that concept demo lately? Every single thing they showed in the video(barring scanning objects) has been accomplished with the launch games!

Yeah right.... and motorstorm the game accomplished what motorstorm the cgi concept wanted to show.... All i seen of Kinect videos lack the fluidity and multi-response timing of "project natal" videos. So nope.

Noshino said:
But that's the thing, how can the Wii be a pioneer and the Move a "copy" if Sony let everyone know that they had been working on said device (the retail unit's design doesn't differ much from the original) for such a long time, even before the Wii was even announced? (I believe at the time there were even rumors that the Revolution's control was going to be a touch screen one in which you could rearrange the buttons) :lol

Another point of yours that I wanted to bring out is that how is it that Sony is "refining the foundations that Nintendo put in place" when these foundations were set by Sony themselves with the EyeToy technology? the Move isn't Sony just working on "a" motion controller, but rather Sony working on the foundations set by the EyeToy, improving them, and then taking it even further with the Move.

Im sorry, but it is REALLY hard to claim that the Move is a carbon copy, or even a refinement of the Wii+Wiimote (from a hardware only point of view at the very least), unless you were completely unaware of Move's development.

I'm talking about making motion control standard, not actually making motion control. I thought that was clear.

Vinci

Danish
UntoldDreams said:
1) Nintendo: Probably on autopilot I don't know of any changes forthcoming for the Wii. I think they will have more of a push with the 3DS as a focus over the Wii

That's because the Wii is essentially over and they are preparing its successor. So yes, they're very busy as well. It's not easy to follow something like the Wii.

paskowitz

I feel like if Sony or Nintendo had made Kinect it would be SO much better. First of all Sony always goes bonkers with hardware. So the device it self would have been much more interesting. Their first party new IPs are also, in general, more innovative than what MS's studios come up with (especially for the casual audience). Name me the last "casual" first party 360 game you purchased... It would have also not have been called something stupid like Kinect. It would have been something easy to swallow like Playstation Vision or PSEye HD or PS3ye.

If Nintendo made it would have been simple if not a bit under powered, but the games would have been very unique. But they already had the Wii so this would have never happened.

Sony has always been that 60-75% hardcore, 40-25% casual system while MS and Nintendo skew to more heavily. I could see MGS4, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo, or even something like Uncharted working with Kinect. But Halo, Gears, Fable, etc just does not seem to fit. Even Sony's most "hardcore" hardcore games have that little spirit of casual in them. Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain for instance were huge hits at college and actually made a neighbor who had never owned a console before buy a PS3. Not to mention all the great stuff that comes from smaller studios like Echochrome and Flower. Kinect fits those types of games SO much better than what MS has in their stable.

Its a shame Sony didn't come up with Kinect. Its almost as if Ferrari came up with the schematics for an amazing new car and then had it produced in India. Bleh!

Chrange

Banned
chubigans said:
I always thought the video was showing we could scan in the art on a real world skateboard and use it as the art for our board ingame, but with the camera's resolution now even that seems pretty unlikely.

wizword

Banned
I still can't believe gamasutra is a trade magazine/site similar to variety when they write articles like this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
wizword said:
I still can't believe gamasutra is a trade magazine/site similar to variety when they write articles like this.
I wrote the article on my blog that's hosted by Gamasutra. They fitted me with an Expert Blogger tag after my first article, but other than that I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

And I don't know how to take that comment. :p

AlexMogil

Noshino said:
But that's the thing, how can the Wii be a pioneer and the Move a "copy" if Sony let everyone know that they had been working on said device (the retail unit's design doesn't differ much from the original) for such a long time, even before the Wii was even announced?

Well yeah, but...

feud2.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Move, yes. It's building on the idea created by the Wiimote and if the impressions are to be believed then it works like it should. Plus, it will be used with (sigh) "hardcore" games and they're not abandoning us with it.

Natal, maybe. I guess it all depends on your vision for it. When it was first announced I imagined certain applications for it that may not be so realistic now but the tech still seems to work fairly well. I'll have to wait to make my final judgment, it all depends on if we get some real games that benefit from the tech or offer new, fresh experiences with it.

Noshino said:

They only had idea of adding buttons to the motion controller after seeing the Wii, there have been quotes to that effect. Sounds crazy when you think about it but there you go.

WEGGLES

flyinpiranha said:
Kinect: Not at all, nothing I was looking forward to (the painting thing they demo'd and some core game support along with dreams of Minority Report navigation) is anywhere to be seen. (besides Child of Eden)

While I think it was mainly because they decided to completely switch gears on the audience, I'm still disappointed.

Move: Yep. From what I gather almost everything they've shown in a demo/early-tech has come to fruition. Good on them as they completely made me switch camps after the most recent E3.

I'm still hoping MS will do something with Kinect that gets me interested as a gamer and not interested as somebody who has a 5 year old in the house that would love this. I don't want to buy it for the 5 year old ya' know? But I still might.

The Move on the other hand looks awesome, while I probably won't buy it at launch the tech that they've showed is solid and I will wait until it a game I really want launches with it.

Nailed it.

I won't be getting a Move right away, but it does look like something I could want in the future.

J-Rzez

I'm still not 100% sold on Move. But it's odd though, I expected all these new wild game designs for Kinect which could be interesting but none of them came to fruition. I expected it to impress me more than Move, but that's not the case. It came down to once again the importance of First-Party resources. Sony was able to implement Move into their hardcore games, while also creating all this casual stuff. This is why Move seems to have a brighter future. It basically did everything Sony said it could.

But I agree, Sony played it safe here not creating unreachable hype, which the final product would under deliver, but made some reasonable expectations and delivers on that. MS on the other hand took Sony's old tactic, and it came back to crush them.

WEGGLES said:
Nailed it.

I won't be getting a Move right away, but it does look like something I could want in the future.

I'm getting Move at launch because I already have a camera so it's worth $50 to screw around the demos then sell the wand in a month or so for almost full price just to check it out if it doesn't "move" me.

Vinci said:
I agreed with you before about Move being based, design-wise, on the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, but... I don't see how this fact is disappointing. As you said, Sony has used ideas from Nintendo and others in the past - as has Nintendo and others - but they've almost always improved upon what was there before. Move appears to do the same. Yes, we could have all wanted something more revolutionary than evolutionary, but that's not really the game Sony is playing and not one they've been especially strong at. So the fact that it's not surprising... I don't know, I guess I just don't feel disappointed by it. Its origins are pretty easy to guess, but as long as it works and works really well, I don't care.
Yeah this is exactly how I feel. I have to say I was so unimpressed with Move the first time I saw it but the evolution has brought me around. It does make me a hypocrite considering how much I have panned the Wii

Firewire

Banned
Man every thread that has Move in it has to be plagued by Nintendo fans crying about motion control tech. It's the same shit every time, who thought it up, who developed it, who's doing a better job ect.

Let it go already.

PSGames said:
Very fair article.

You can shift with your hand while playing Forza! Bad ass.

Redbeard

Banned
Why exactly is it being brought up that the Move is similar to the Wii? We already know that. Move is an evolution of motion control gaming that was first ushered in by Nintendo. What does that have to do with the topic at hand and how the Move's final result compares to its debut?

If it's because you're saying "Move is basically a Wiimote", well, you're wrong, the two technologies may accomplish some of the same things, but how they arrive at it is quite different.

On the topic in question, I'm excited about the Move because I think the Wiimote+ is a great controller, and having the next big step beyond that with the Playstation Move now introducing true 1:1 motion in 3D space without many of the mid-game recalibration concerns and pointing issues of the Wii mote is going to be a great addition to the gaming world.

As for Kinect, honestly it's EyeToy 1.5. It's laggy, jittery, has a laundry list of limitations, has had countless hardware downgrades, and is the most expensive of the motion controller technologies. Oh, and it can't be applied to hardcore games in any meaningful way. Kinect is nowhere on my radar and will never be on my radar just like how I didn't care one bit about the EyeToy.

The article in the OP isn't harsh enough on what they showed wrt Kinect's tech demos. The tech demos, even at E3 2010, showed perfect 1:1 body tracking with no lag. Kinect is anything BUT perfect 1:1 body tracking, the device has huge trouble registering joint movements without looking incredibly awkward.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Redbeard said:
As for Kinect, honestly it's EyeToy 1.5. It's laggy, jittery, has a laundry list of limitations, has had countless hardware downgrades, and is the most expensive of the motion controller technologies. Oh, and it can't be applied to hardcore games in any meaningful way. Kinect is nowhere on my radar and will never be on my radar just like how I didn't care one bit about the EyeToy.

The article in the OP isn't harsh enough on what they showed wrt Kinect's tech demos. The tech demos, even at E3 2010, showed perfect 1:1 body tracking with no lag. Kinect is anything BUT perfect 1:1 body tracking, the device has huge trouble registering joint movements without looking incredibly awkward.
I don't disagree with you there...but the purpose of the article was if MS was able to get close to their original vision. They mostly succeeded. Whether or not this will turn into anything games wise is another discussion.

JaggedSac said:
Just curious, besides play.com(and other sites referencing play.com), where did the information for a downgraded depth sensor come from? Microsoft, Amazon, and every other retailer out there, has the depth spec at 640 X 480.

Can someone confirm the camera resolution?

Redbeard

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

People get 'irked' by companies copying other companies in the gaming industry?

Did anyone get mad when Nintendo copied Sony by finally having a DVD drive in the Wii?

Did anyone get 'irked' when the dual analog stick controller was copied from Sony by Nintendo and Microsoft?

I mean, honestly, who cares. Nintendo proved it worked and was appealing, Sony refined it, the industry advances. Why would anyone be "irked" by that?

And in terms of trying something new -- 1:1 tracking in 3D space with a camera is quite new, and offers many possibilities that can't be done on the Wii. Comparing something like Sports Champions table Tennis to the Wii Sports variant is pretty staggering in terms of tracking. Just being a whole lot better makes an already existing experience feel new.

chubigans said:
I don't disagree with you there...but the purpose of the article was if MS was able to get close to their original vision. They mostly succeeded. Whether or not this will turn into anything games wise is another discussion.

I disagree.

They didn't come anywhere close to their vision.

Their vision showed 1:1 body tracking that had no delay.

What Kinect turned out to be is, "hey, it kind of sort of looks like the character is registering my movements only half the time even if it's a second behind". Watching someone play Kinect is very awkward because it's so far removed from 1:1 motion that it just looks like a very unrefined technology and it's hard to fathom they'd bother releasing such tech to the market. It clearly doesn't look anywhere near ready.

Just look at the Star Wars tech demo at E3 2010. They had a guy prancing on stage to some CG footage as if that's what it was going to be like. Complete smoke and mirrors.

Top Bottom