• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect and Move: from Vision to Retail...were their respective visions met?

TheExecutive said:
If Sony throws its first party weight around just a little bit there should be enough content to supply the Move. On the flip side MS devoured many of its first party studios and now must rely on 3rd party support. Something they havent had to worry about yet because games sell well on the 360. However, if they dont sell well with Kinnect they wont have the capacity to pick up the slack.

Actually, Microsoft has all the capacity it needs. If their internal studios won't be enough, they can always contract independent developers, like they've been doing for years now.

Suzzopher

Shurs said:
4 player compatibility seems like it would be a great selling point for the value of Kinect, you'd think that, if it was possible, at least one launch game would feature it.

I think for now, it's proof of concept to get it out the door. Live can always patch this stuff in down the road.

farnham

Banned
fortified_concept said:
The general public also likes Miley Cyrus, Twilight and COD. Stop using sales as proof of quality, it's stupid beyond imagination. And I will agree with TheExecutive. This gen Nintendo has developed games with SNES era gameplay and graphics, a ton of boring and incredibly superficial party games like Wii Sports and last but not least, SMG which is indeed a breath of fresh air. I know Nintendo fans love to take as a given Nintendo's "creativity" without giving any proof but please enlighten us.
well you might not like wii sports. but its not your taste alone that matters. there are a lot of people that actually like wii sports.

Noshino said:
And that hasn't worked that well.... at least for me, Nintendo released much better games during the previous generations than on this one :lol
well it has worked well for nintendo and a 70 million wii owners compared to a 20 million gamecube or 30 million n64 userbase.

also it is laughable to claim nintendo released better games last gen. their output was significantly lower.

Shurs said:
4 player compatibility seems like it would be a great selling point for the value of Kinect, you'd think that, if it was possible, at least one launch game would feature it.

Can you think of one reason why it wouldn't be possible when it was possible on the original EyeToy?

Eccocid

shintoki said:
I'd say both meant their expectations. Move is a bit more advance Wii Clone. They went with something already done. But it's also a lifeless clone, since they can't match Nintendo's creative output.

Nintendo can make really great games but i dont think they are the most creative software company.

Eccocid

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Can you think of one reason why it wouldn't be possible when it was possible on the original EyeToy?

Tracking 4 skeletons with all limbs especially when their limbs get infront of each other must be more difficult than just tracking moving pixels over a static background?

Eccocid said:
Tracking 4 skeletons with all limbs especially when their limbs get infront of each other must be more difficult than just tracking moving pixels over a static background?

We're not talking about skeletal tracking at all, read the last page.

farnham said:
well you might not like wii sports. but its not your taste alone that matters. there are a lot of people that actually like wii sports.

Well if you think a game as simple and superficial as Wii Sports is proof of Nintendo's creative output we'll just agree to disagree. Because if people believe that the proof of a developer's "creative output" this gen is this kind of games it's a sad, sad generation. And again, it's doesn't fucking matter what people like. Creativity is not measured by the popularity of something.

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

I'm not doubting you, but I'm not too familiar with Eyetoy games, could you link me to a Youtube video of 4 people playing at once? I'd like to see in what context they do so.

ShinNL

fortified_concept said:
Well if you think a game as simple and superficial as Wii Sports is proof of Nintendo's creative output we'll just agree to disagree. Because if people believe that the proof of a developer's "creative output" this gen is this kind of games it's a sad, sad generation. And again, it's doesn't fucking matter what people like. Creativity is not measured by the popularity of something.
Not trying to stir up something but if you say "let's s agree to disagree" and then say something like "it's sad if people believe what you just said" then you shouldn't have said the first line.

Soneet said:
Not trying to stir up something but if you say "let's s agree to disagree" and then say something like "it's sad if people believe what you just said" then you shouldn't have said the first line.

I acknowledge that we there's no chance in hell to agree with each other but I still think that it's sad that someone would believe that. For me these games are lowest common denominator and it pains me to see people using them as proof of creativity.

farnham

Banned
fortified_concept said:
wii sports is a good example of very good game design actually. everything is built around the concept to get you into the game as fast and simple as possible and it has some good depth too. there is a lot to learn from it. especially compared to the clones that are being churned out like that hudson one, sports champions or kinect sports.

and no its not sad. diversity is a good thing. wii sports may not be a game that is developed for you. but so what ? does every game need to be developed for the 15-35 male crowd only because the majority of the gamres are in that demographic ? no.

wii sports is one of the few games that i could show anyone from 0 to 99 and get them hooked. and thats the power of creative design.

Agent X

Paco said:
The original question of if visions were met really can't be answered until the peak or the end of the product's life cycle. Drawing conclusions now is like if I shared my vision of what I hope to accomplish during this 3-day weekend and people are already decided on my success before 9:30 am on the first day. Ridiculous.

Generally, I would agree with what you're saying. However, I believe the point of the thread is for us to decide if Move and Kinect appear to be on track to deliver the types of gameplay enhancments and innovations that their creators originally promised when these products were first revealed to the public over a year ago. That's why the thread exists now and not as some type of post-mortem after their heyday has come and gone.

The irony is that neither product is available to the public yet, so a large number of people in this thread might not be truly qualified to state whether these products are meeting their creators' visions. Still, it's interesting to gauge public perception of how these products have evolved in development over the last year. We had many threads discussing the impact of E3 stage shows and Jimmy Fallon and Smallville and YouTube videos. Now that Move and Kinect are almost here, this is a good time to review their development cycles and see if they're meeting expectations.

Noshino

farnham said:
well it has worked well for nintendo and a 70 million wii owners compared to a 20 million gamecube or 30 million n64 userbase.

also it is laughable to claim nintendo released better games last gen. their output was significantly lower.

As a gamer, it is true that Im interested in both the economic and the creative aspects of the industry, but at the end of the day, the most important aspect for the games will always be the creative one (unless you are A) a shareholder and/or B) a fanboy. Clover might have not been even financially successful, but they are still by far my favorite developers.

Also, why are you comparing quality to quantity? Im not claiming that Nintendo released less games, all Im saying is that, to me, the games they released in previous generations were much much better than the ones released this gen.

farnham

Banned
Noshino said:
As a gamer, it is true that Im interested in both the economic and the creative aspects of the industry, but at the end of the day, the most important aspect for the games will always be the creative one (unless you are A) a shareholder and/or B) a fanboy. Clover might have not been even financially successful, but they are still by far my favorite developers.

Also, why are you comparing quality to quantity? Im not claiming that Nintendo released less games, all Im saying is that, to me, the games they released in previous generations were much much better than the ones released this gen.
quality is always debatable although i kinda doubt that it is a valid thing to say that nintendo games this gen are worse then the gamecube games they made. i believe they are all pretty equal qualitywise with some being better on GC (paper mario 2 is better then super paper mario) some better on wii (mario galaxy is better then mario sunshine. mkwii is better then double dash. wario ware is better on wii. brawl is better then meelee). but the input has just increased a lot and overall wii is a much better console for nintendo games compared to the gc.

distrbnce said:
This sort of sentiment must be directed at the Move-Only games, right? It's completely dismissing the easy integration with real, core games.

It seems like you could get total satisfaction out of Move without even buying a Move-Only game, so it appears to be a moot point.

This.

with Move you have:

- alt-control schemes for 100% integration into core game genres, in particular any FPS and TPS can profit from it.

and

- your typical casual games which can include both motion controls and camera integration (people seem to forget that Move uses a camera&microphone that is actually better than the one integrated in Kinect and the Wii lacks this feature set completely). 1:1 basically lag-free sport games are possible as well as stuff like EyePet that scans your irl drawn pictures.

Additionally, Move game support is further backed up by patching released core&casual games with Move controls as well as easy transfer of Wii motion/pointer controls for Wii HD ports (both simply not possible for Kinect).

In the first few months there will already be a lot of games from all kinds of genres you can try your Move controller with.
https://sites.google.com/site/iwaggle3dgamelist/gamelist

Afrikan

Shurs said:
I'm not doubting you, but I'm not too familiar with Eyetoy games, could you link me to a Youtube video of 4 people playing at once? I'd like to see in what context they do so.

here is a video I've linked to in the past....I brought this up in previous Kinect & PSEYE/Move threads....

the people here are having alot of fun, and although I don't think too highly of Kinect (especially for its price)...it should be able to do something similar to these games...

great music too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXohr4XE-4&feature=related

Shurs

Afrikan said:
here is a video I've linked to in the past....I brought this up in previous Kinect & PSEYE/Move threads....

the people here are having alot of fun, and although I don't think too highly of Kinect (especially for its price)...it should be able to do something similar to these games...

great music too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXohr4XE-4&feature=related

Interesting.

I guess my question is, if they can do it, why don't they? Kinect Joyride seems like it would be a good four player game.

Shurs said:
Interesting.

I guess my question is, if they can do it, why don't they? Kinect Joyride seems like it would be a good four player game.

"Currently", Kinect can only process the bodies of two persons at once.

If they want to include mp for 4 players, they would need to either offer PS2 EyeToy-esque mp or do a mixed setup in that only two players can play it with full body recognition while the other two just waggle in front of the screen (obviously this is a no-go for anything competitive). The very narrow view angle of Kinect doesn't help either.
Both solutions are not really optimal for pushing Kinect.

Afrikan

Shurs said:
Interesting.

well, same reason Sony didn't relaunch the PS2 bundled with an EyeToy with all its games for $119 a couple of years ago........I don't know.

but seriously, I think with a game like Joyride you are steering a wheel......I would think EyeToy and Kinect's VisionCam wouldn't be able to track that type of precision with 4 players....even if they all had their own little squares.

jax (old)

Banned
kinect. hell no. from the camera no longer moving, milo tech = awol... sitting = um, no.. its not... just not selling itself

move. yes. fully realised imo.

That said, anyone concerned about move pricepoint+titles - I personally haven't bought a guitar/bandhero/djhero peripheral based game - last one was donkey konga and its drums but the price premium isn't that problematic, as its more as less the same. But it does make your ps3 a HD wii.

And for that, it can't be beat. I'm getting move, if only to play HR move + RE5gold move. Both of which I already own. I'm sure RE6 will be move compatible too + I also want the time crisis 3 game pack.

SolidusDave said:
This.

with Move you have:

- alt-control schemes for 100% integration into core game genres, in particular any FPS and TPS can profit from it.

and

- your typical casual games which can include both motion controls and camera integration (people seem to forget that Move uses a camera&microphone that is actually better than the one integrated in Kinect and the Wii lacks this feature set completely). 1:1 basically lag-free sport games are possible as well as stuff like EyePet that scans your irl drawn pictures.

Additionally, Move game support is further backed up by patching released core&casual games with Move controls as well as easy transfer of Wii motion/pointer controls for Wii HD ports (both simply not possible for Kinect).

In the first few months there will already be a lot of games from all kinds of genres you can try your Move controller with.
https://sites.google.com/site/iwaggle3dgamelist/gamelist

I poop myself a little when I think of The Show and all the possibilities.

Sydle

Agent X said:
Generally, I would agree with what you're saying. However, I believe the point of the thread is for us to decide if Move and Kinect appear to be on track to deliver the types of gameplay enhancments and innovations that their creators originally promised when these products were first revealed to the public over a year ago. That's why the thread exists now and not as some type of post-mortem after their heyday has come and gone.

The irony is that neither product is available to the public yet, so a large number of people in this thread might not be truly qualified to state whether these products are meeting their creators' visions. Still, it's interesting to gauge public perception of how these products have evolved in development over the last year. We had many threads discussing the impact of E3 stage shows and Jimmy Fallon and Smallville and YouTube videos. Now that Move and Kinect are almost here, this is a good time to review their development cycles and see if they're meeting expectations.

Kinect, or Project Natal was unveiled with concept or target footage much like the PS3 did back at E32005. Think back to PS3's showing and you'll recall a lot of target renders and supposed real-time footage, but it was perfectly acceptable to agree that those target concepts were visions that various creative minds were aiming for and would come later in the hardware's life if ever. Nobody, not even here on GAF, was stupid enough to think that the launch games were indicative of the hardware's true potential. We certainly didn't judge if the PS3 was meeting its creators vision based on previews of launch software, because I think it goes without saying that would have been inexcusably retarded.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't recall Microsoft stating that all of those target concepts would be represented in launch games, so how is one supposed to draw any conclusions without the final product(s)?
You can't

genjiZERO

Move actually seems pretty promising to me. I know the games now looks like shit, but it looks like there could be a lot of potential. Maybe that FPS I always wanted on the Wii but never got (R3?), and a HD Zelda TP knock-off would be grand (MGSR could maybe do this). Right now I think it's too expensive, but if Sony supports it in the long-run it may be worth getting.

Kinect never appealed to me at all. Always seemed like an HD Eyetoy and still does. None of the games look compelling (by the way, why does the tiger in Kinectimals have the skeleton and act like a dog? Wrong Family MS). Maybe Children of Eden, but I can't imagine it being more precise than the controller version. I'm also not sure there's any room for conceptual growth either. Not sure how you could do a full blown game with XYZ axes that didn't use rails. Again and again, it's just too limited by the lack of a tactile interface.

mujun

I don't really care if they lived up to their visions.

Move has looked like an improved Wii take on motion control gaming from the start. I've yet to see a Wii or Move game that makes me want to put down a standard controller and pick up a motion control controller.

Kinect looked like marketing from the start. The way it was presented (skate board being scanned in, godzilla stuff, kung fu stuff, etc) gave me the impression that what I was seeing and the final product would differ at least a little if not more in what was possible with the tech. Either way I didn't expect it to be something I'd be particularly interesting though I was more inclined to keep an eye on it as it potentially offered something I hadn't seen before.

It wasn't until Dance Central and to a lesser degree Joyride that I actually went from absolutely no interest in owning a motion control game setup to strongly considering getting one.

If I do finally pull the trigger on Kinect and the only thing I ever play is Dance Central then I'll certainly be pissed that I forked out the cash for just one game but that one game also gives me hope that other games interesting enough for me to want to buy will actually come out further into the peripheral's life.

I should mention that my wife's interest in the Dance Central has also motivated me to thing seriously about picking the game up.

genjiZERO

mujun said:
Move has looked like an improved Wii take on motion control gaming from the start. I've yet to see a Wii or Move game that makes me want to put down a standard controller and pick up a motion control controller.

Did you play Twilight Princess with a Wii-mote? I thought it added to the experience quite a bit actually.

ShinNL

fortified_concept said:
I acknowledge that we there's no chance in hell to agree with each other but I still think that it's sad that someone would believe that. For me these games are lowest common denominator and it pains me to see people using them as proof of creativity.
As a designer and programmer it's sad to see you calling people sad though. It's okay if you don't see the brilliance and the thoughts put into Wii Sports, but you shouldn't call other people sad if they do see it.

Sad.

:(

I am pleasantly surprised that Sony managed to incorporate the move into their traditional hardcore games with relative ease. It makes it much more appealing in my eyes and I am seriously considering getting it now. Take KZ3 for example, I would play it with the DS3 on the first playthrough and with move on the second. It gives you two unique ways to play the same game. Hopefully Move original games are compelling enough to warrant a purchase but they pretty much have a safety net with the hardcore gamers buying move, unlike Kinect.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Paco said:
Nobody, not even here on GAF, was stupid enough to think that the launch games were indicative of the hardware's true potential. We certainly didn't judge if the PS3 was meeting its creators vision based on previews of launch software, because I think it goes without saying that would have been inexcusably retarded.
And no one would have been stupid enough to make an article asking if those launch titles were as good as the system was going to get. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

With Kinect and Move, we know the tech's limitations. We know what it can and cannot do. We can easily see if they match up to the original visions of the product. What we DON'T know is how games will incorporate this tech. Will we see different products that are truely revolutionary in motion control design a year from now? Possibly. Does that change the fact that we're still dealing with the exact same tech that we're getting in a few months? No, it doesn't. Hence the point of the article.

Paco said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't recall Microsoft stating that all of those target concepts would be represented in launch games, so how is one supposed to draw any conclusions without the final product(s)? You can't
And I didn't. Most of the Kinect stuff is me saying "it's not in launch games, but there's nothing holding it back from being in future games tech wise." I couldn't say that for such visions as scanning objects, and so on.

I CAN draw conclusions based on the tech that's in the camera, because that tech is not going to change unless they release Kinect+ or something. It's like asking if five years from now Kinect/Eye will be able to capture HD footage, and the answer is no, it can't today and it won't five years from today. Simple as that.

Mr_Zombie

Zoe said:
Wait, when did this happen? I thought people were still talking about a motor in there.

It didn't happened, unless something has changed since E3. At E3 it was shown that Kinect can track the player and rotate around.
The same goes with "no sitting". At TED it was shown that you can play Kinect while sitting (and it's not only hands motion, the game also read when the player leaned) but you can still see the "you can't sit lol" comments around. :/

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mr_Zombie said:
It didn't happened, unless something has changed since E3. At E3 it was shown that Kinect can track the player and rotate around.
The same goes with "no sitting". At TED it was shown that you can play Kinect while sitting (and it's not only hands motion, the game also read when the player leaned) but you can still see the "you can't sit lol" comments around. :/
I am almost positive the motor is still in. I think it was shown at the Macy's public demo.

PSGames

Redbeard said:
Dance Central is completely possible on the Move

I guess Microsoft locked up some sort of exclusivity deal

Go check out some footage of "Just Dance". That is the experience you would get on Move. Hardly the same thing.

That is all:

hitmano.jpg

:lol

farnham

Banned
PSGames said:
Go check out some footage of "Just Dance". That is the experience you would get on Move. Hardly the same thing.
go check out some footage of DDR

that is a superior experience to move, just dance or dance central and it exists since 1997

Agent X

Paco said:
Kinect, or Project Natal was unveiled with concept or target footage much like the PS3 did back at E32005. Think back to PS3's showing and you'll recall a lot of target renders and supposed real-time footage, but it was perfectly acceptable to agree that those target concepts were visions that various creative minds were aiming for and would come later in the hardware's life if ever. Nobody, not even here on GAF, was stupid enough to think that the launch games were indicative of the hardware's true potential. We certainly didn't judge if the PS3 was meeting its creators vision based on previews of launch software, because I think it goes without saying that would have been inexcusably retarded.

You're right. At the same time, though, there were people out there who were disappointed that the PS3 didn't live up to their expectations--expectations which were molded and influenced by the pre-launch demos. Whether those expectations were "realistic" or not (with regard to 2006 launch software) isn't the issue. They set the standard, and thus it's up to the actual software to live up to it.

Now, 4 years later, maybe some of those people saw the more recent games, and have decided that the PS3 finally did meet their expectations, and bought the system as a result. Maybe some other people feel that it still falls short, and aren't buying the system. Different strokes for different folks.

Paco said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't recall Microsoft stating that all of those target concepts would be represented in launch games, so how is one supposed to draw any conclusions without the final product(s)?
You can't

You're right, they did not explicitly say that the stuff from E3 2009 would comprise the launch software, or have concepts that would be represented in the launch software.

On the other hand, those video reels were what had molded and influenced people's expectations for what Project Natal/Kinect would be capable of. People were referencing some of those video clips for months after last year's E3. We had no other points of reference, therefore, the videos set the stage.

With that in mind, I think it's perfectly valid for people to judge now whether what we've been shown of Kinect in recent days (particularly the last 2½ months) lives up to the promises put forth in the E3 2009 public unveiling. That doesn't mean this should be a permanent, final judgment, but just reflecting on the situation now, in September 2010.

I'm in the camp that believes that Move appears to be delivering on its promise, but Kinect on the other hand falls far short of the mark. The games that have been revealed so far might not be representative of the Kinect's full capabilities, but until we have have evidence otherwise, they're all we have to use as a basis for judgment.

We keep about these newfound limitations, and whether they can be overcome. There are ongoing debates about whether or not you can play games while sitting, or play with more than two players, or have the device interpret the advanced artificial intelligence algorithms that were demonstrated with aplomb in the M.I.L.O. Microsoft Interactive Learning Organism multimedia lifestyle experience. Until some Kinect games (and not concept videos) can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can, then for all intents and purposes Kinect cannot do it.

Redbeard

Banned
PSGames said:

Dance Central doesn't map your body movements 1:1

It just interprets your movements and scores you accordingly. There's no 1:1 mapping involved at all

PS Move uses the Playstation Eye, and the 2D data it receives from the eye is probably entirely sufficient for what Dance Central on the Kinect does

fortified_concept said:

This is kind of stupid. Games are made so that people play them, so of course it matters how many people like them. They're in the entertainment business, you know. It's not like too many people are making games as creative expression (and I'm not sure that Nintendo has a below average ratio of those people, compared to the rest of the industry). Anyway, it's true that popularity is not always related to creativity, but there must be *some* idea in there that didn't use to be there, seeing how many exact copycat games you get, while Nintendo does come up with a new pattern or two for others to copy every year or so.

It's not like there're too many games (this gen especially) that are really creative, no matter what marketing says, and looking at the fresh ideas put into them, the Wii... games are definitely near the top. I think a lot of people confuse ideas based on generic combination patterns (that routinely come up on gaming forums hehe) for creativity, like combining a first person view with platforming in ME and the rest of the genre-mashup stuff. It's like mistaking superficial Matrix type one-trick stories (like in Bioshock) and crappy TV-series type plot design with good writing.

Paco said:

Huh? For years Sony was criticized because games didn't match those tech demos. It was near impossible to go into threads without someone mentioning something about those demos or the systems price and even reviews would do the same (especially the price). It took a long time before people finally stopped bringing them up as a way to take shots at the system.

PSGames

Redbeard said:
Dance Central doesn't map your body movements 1:1

It just interprets your movements and scores you accordingly. There's no 1:1 mapping involved at all

PS Move uses the Playstation Eye, and the 2D data it receives from the eye is probably entirely sufficient for what Dance Central on the Kinect does

It's not mapping you 1:1 it's tracking you 1:1.

Firewire said:
Isn't there a Singstar Dance game coming?

Yes and it looks like absolute ass in comparison to Dance Central. People are so clueless in this thread it's ridiculous. :lol

Continue with the blind Kinect hate folks. I've played the thing several times and with several games. The thing is honestly amazingly precise and I'll be one of the first ones to grab one at launch.

PSGames said:
It's not mapping you 1:1 it's tracking you 1:1.

Yes and it looks like absolute ass in comparison to Dance Central. People are so clueless in this thread it's ridiculous. :lol

Continue with the blind Kinect hate folks. I've played the thing several times and with several games. The thing is honestly amazingly precise and I'll be one of the first ones to grab one at launch.

Actually skeletal tracking in 2D is absolutely possible but there is chance for interpretation error which for a game like Dance Central probably doesn't matter to be honest.

Soneet said:
As a designer and programmer it's sad to see you calling people sad though. It's okay if you don't see the brilliance and the thoughts put into Wii Sports, but you shouldn't call other people sad if they do see it.

Sad.

:(

Nice strawman. I didn't say these people are sad.

Flachmatuch said:
This is kind of stupid. Games are made so that people play them, so of course it matters how many people like them. They're in the entertainment business, you know. It's not like too many people are making games as creative expression (and I'm not sure that Nintendo has a below average ratio of those people, compared to the rest of the industry). Anyway, it's true that popularity is not always related to creativity, but there must be *some* idea in there that didn't use to be there, seeing how many exact copycat games you get, while Nintendo does come up with a new pattern or two for others to copy every year or so.

It's not like there're too many games (this gen especially) that are really creative, no matter what marketing says, and looking at the fresh ideas put into them, the Wii... games are definitely near the top. I think a lot of people confuse ideas based on generic combination patterns (that routinely come up on gaming forums hehe) for creativity, like combining a first person view with platforming in ME and the rest of the genre-mashup stuff. It's like mistaking superficial Matrix type one-trick stories (like in Bioshock) and crappy TV-series type plot design with good writing.

When companies are making copycat games it doesn't mean you're creative, most of the time it means you made a ton of cash and they want a piece of the action. I still haven't met someone btw that can sufficiently explain to me what's creative or genius in a game as simple as Wii Sports or any casual games.

They might be fun for awhile, yes, because you can play them even with a monkey and they're simple as hell which means you don't usually have to use your brain which makes it even easier to pick up and play, but making an art of the lowest common denominator to attract more idiots (to avoid a strawman I'll say it now that I'm not implying everyone who plays these games is an idiot) and make more cash doesn't equal creativity. If that were the case Michael Bay would be the most creative director.

Redbeard

Banned
The devs even said Dance Central was possible on the Move, but not the Wii

I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on the PS3 after Microsoft's exclusivity deal runs out

PSGames

UntoldDreams said:
Actually skeletal tracking in 2D is absolutely possible but there is chance for interpretation error which for a game like Dance Central probably doesn't matter to be honest.

The PSEye has been out for years and nobody attempted it. There's a reason for that. Something like that would only be possible in perfect lighting conditions and thus would never be reliable in the real world. You will see very few if any at all try to do something like that. Dance Central tracks your individual limbs and shows you in real-time what you're doing wrong and gives you a score.

Here's the best Sony themselves could come up with:

http://vimeo.com/14317686

Try not to bust out laughing. Yeah that looks as accurate or fun as Dance Central :lol

Redbeard said:
The devs even said Dance Central was possible on the Move, but not the Wii

I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on the PS3 after Microsoft's exclusivity deal runs out

It's possible just like Just Dance is possible but giving you the exact same experience as Kinect is entirely different matter altogether.

Sydle

chubigans said:
And no one would have been stupid enough to make an article asking if those launch titles were as good as the system was going to get. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

With Kinect and Move, we know the tech's limitations. We know what it can and cannot do. We can easily see if they match up to the original visions of the product. What we DON'T know is how games will incorporate this tech. Will we see different products that are truely revolutionary in motion control design a year from now? Possibly. Does that change the fact that we're still dealing with the exact same tech that we're getting in a few months? No, it doesn't. Hence the point of the article.

And I didn't. Most of the Kinect stuff is me saying "it's not in launch games, but there's nothing holding it back from being in future games tech wise." I couldn't say that for such visions as scanning objects, and so on.

I CAN draw conclusions based on the tech that's in the camera, because that tech is not going to change unless they release Kinect+ or something. It's like asking if five years from now Kinect/Eye will be able to capture HD footage, and the answer is no, it can't today and it won't five years from today. Simple as that.

In an age where IGN is considered journalism and anyone can write a blog...yeah, I can believe that such a stupid article was written. The bottom line is that we cannot measure the devices up to their respective visions. Kinect showed target concepts and Move showed actual demos -- totally different measuring sticks. To pit them against each other in that respect is stupid.

Agent X said:
You're right. At the same time, though, there were people out there who were disappointed that the PS3 didn't live up to their expectations--expectations which were molded and influenced by the pre-launch demos. Whether those expectations were "realistic" or not (with regard to 2006 launch software) isn't the issue. They set the standard, and thus it's up to the actual software to live up to it.

Now, 4 years later, maybe some of those people saw the more recent games, and have decided that the PS3 finally did meet their expectations, and bought the system as a result. Maybe some other people feel that it still falls short, and aren't buying the system. Different strokes for different folks.

You're right, they did not explicitly say that the stuff from E3 2009 would comprise the launch software, or have concepts that would be represented in the launch software.

On the other hand, those video reels were what had molded and influenced people's expectations for what Project Natal/Kinect would be capable of. People were referencing some of those video clips for months after last year's E3. We had no other points of reference, therefore, the videos set the stage.

With that in mind, I think it's perfectly valid for people to judge now whether what we've been shown of Kinect in recent days (particularly the last 2½ months) lives up to the promises put forth in the E3 2009 public unveiling. That doesn't mean this should be a permanent, final judgment, but just reflecting on the situation now, in September 2010.

I'm in the camp that believes that Move appears to be delivering on its promise, but Kinect on the other hand falls far short of the mark. The games that have been revealed so far might not be representative of the Kinect's full capabilities, but until we have have evidence otherwise, they're all we have to use as a basis for judgment.

We keep about these newfound limitations, and whether they can be overcome. There are ongoing debates about whether or not you can play games while sitting, or play with more than two players, or have the device interpret the advanced artificial intelligence algorithms that were demonstrated with aplomb in the M.I.L.O. Microsoft Interactive Learning Organism multimedia lifestyle experience. Until some Kinect games (and not concept videos) can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they can, then for all intents and purposes Kinect cannot do it.

I understand that there are some people are rationally judging the two devices based on the fact that they're not even released, and there's a long way to go before we can say for certain whether or not they lived up to their respective visions. That's the only correct way to look at it right now.

As for pitting Move vs. Kinect, there's no excuse. Move doesn't have far too go considering that it's based on something Nintendo's been doing for 4 years now and they showcased actual demos at the unveiling. Developers know what they can do, they know what sells, and it's apparently very easy to adapt previously released games to it. We know wands work, we know they sell. Kinect on the other hand is a different concept and largely unexplored territory, where Microsoft demonstrated their vision via target concepts. It's going to go through the same cycle the the Wii first did -- developers are going to have to figure out its strengths and weaknesses, what the consumers find fun and worth their money, etc.

The burden of proof is on Microsoft to deliver those experiences they demonstrated, but to suggest that the device is incapable of any one of those experiences is wrong. We can measure the experience only once it has been delivered. For launch it looks like we're getting a taste of some of what was promised, so upon playing those games we can certainly judge those particular capabilities showcased.

SolidSnakex said:
Huh? For years Sony was criticized because games didn't match those tech demos. It was near impossible to go into threads without someone mentioning something about those demos or the systems price and even reviews would do the same (especially the price). It took a long time before people finally stopped bringing them up as a way to take shots at the system.

Sony delivered on the target concepts though. Anyone smarter than a chimp knew it wasn't going to be delivered right out of the gate. Don't make excuses for stupid GAF, never make excuses for them.

Redbeard

Banned
PSGames said:
The PSEye has been out for years and nobody attempted it. There's a reason for that. Something like that would only be possible in perfect lighting conditions and thus would never be reliable in the real world. You will see very few if any at all try to do something like that. Dance Central tracks your individual limbs and shows you in real-time what you're doing wrong and gives you a score.

Try not to bust out laughing. Yeah that looks as accurate or fun as Dance Central :lol

Nobody attempted, what?

PSEye has plenty of tech demos showing tracking in 2D

How can you even tell if Dance Central is "accurate" when it's not mapping your movements to a character on screen?

Shurs

PSGames said:

I think it's nice that it makes you the star of the show rather than relegating you to a small white blob on the side of the screen.

PSGames

Redbeard said:
Nobody attempted, what?

PSEye has plenty of tech demos showing tracking in 2D

If these tech demos were so accurate tracking people they wouldn't have needed a glowing ball on the Move controller now would they?

How can you even tell if Dance Central is "accurate" when it's not mapping your movements to a character on screen?

The limbs of the character on screen blink Green, Blue or Red signifying if you're doing it right all in real-time.

Top Bottom