• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Of Fighters XII To Be Shown At AOU 2008, Console Release In 2009 Hooooooooolyyy

gconsole

Didn't Capcom already have this kind of graphic since SF III ? The motion can't be more fluid, only make to HD. I agree that KOFXII graphic looks gorgeus but it's not something we haven't seen before, do we?

And everybody knows that making sprite in the generation cost a lot more than 3D and difficult for maintenance and reuse. It's surely serve the fan need but how dos it work out in business wise? And we know SNK Playmore is not the big monster like other japanese/korean company. How will they survive with that? How did the latest KOF game sale on console? How much money it generate from arcade business? If i'm a real fan I would know what I want them to do. Unless, we just want to see the highly detail 2D graphic game and don't give a shit with their situation.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
gconsole said:
Didn't Capcom already have this kind of graphic since SF III ? The motion can't be more fluid, only make to HD. I agree that KOFXII graphic looks gorgeus but it's not something we haven't seen before, do we?

And everybody knows that making sprite in the generation cost a lot more than 3D and difficult for maintenance and reuse. It's surely serve the fan need but how dos it work out in business wise? And we know SNK Playmore is not the big monster like other japanese/korean company. How will they survive with that? How did the latest KOF game sale on console? How much money it generate from arcade business? If i'm a real fan I would know what I want them to do. Unless, we just want to see the highly detail 2D graphic game and don't give a shit with their situation.

Uh, no. Those sprites blow SFIII's away. Animation wise, we can't tell.

As for the business side of things...I'm not even going to answer because I honestly don't care. This is something fans wanted, they're giving it to the fans, the fans should support it. Bottom line.

gconsole said:
How will they survive with that? How did the latest KOF game sale on console? How much money it generate from arcade business?

pa.92636.2.jpg

/concern over

oh and the 23049238 rehashes of old titles, anthologies/collections

turk128

Kintaro said:
Uh, no. Those sprites blow SFIII's away. Animation wise, we can't tell.

As for the business side of things...I'm not even going to answer because I honestly don't care. This is something fans wanted, they're giving it to the fans, the fans should support it. Bottom line.
I'm a big fan of SFIII and even I have to agree; the detail quality just might be the best out there. It looks like higher budget animation cells.

I really can't get past the fact that I'm praising SNK over Capcom especially in the art department.

the game looks amazing.....damn!!! Definitely putting all their budget on this one...damn it looks breathtaking.

this makes my username look so antique now :(

Lightning

Banned
They are still deciding on 360 version, right? Sony should throw down some cash and tie up exclusive, I'm sure MS wouldn't pass up the opportunity. This game looks awesome.

I think it looks awesome, but i'm not seeing a HUGE amount of increased frames. Not that i mind though, some of you might remember a discussion about how they'd handle the "KOF style" in HD; many thought the KOF style WAS the lacking frames of animation. I'd bet it's a style choice to at least have the main moves have visible keyframes like the earlier games.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
superCobra said:
The backgrounds look mind-blowingly awesome.
Was just gonna say the exact same thing. All those people! It looks simply delightful. This may well coax me back into the KoF series.

Dascu

Oh man, this game looks so damn amazing. It's been said before, but I'll say it again: Garou MotW2 and Last Blade 3 in HD please.

Tr4nce

This game looks so so goddamn sweet. Why oh why couldn't they have made SFIV more like this? This shit is insane, a 2-D fighter and it looks effin' great!

KingJ2002

Great Video... the game definitely look like something out of production i.g. it animates extremely well... here is an update from trieu over at snk-capcom.com.

Some notes:

KOF XII expected to be released for the Taito Type X2 first, in September 2008. Originally, was planned for June/July, but hey, we have no problems waiting longer as we can see what SNK can do when given the time and hardware. PS3 and Xbox 360 are planned, of course and no official announcement as it's too soon, but expect it sometime in 2009. SNK Playmore JP previously announced this information already, so nothing new.

Samurai Shodown 7, called Edge of Destiny for the U.S. market will be released on the home systems eventually, after the Taito Type X2. Many of us was concerned about the censorship of this title, but we have confirmed, which you will also be able to see later from a video, that there is blood and decaptitation. There will be no code to input and because of this, will most likely receive a MATURE Rating. This version will be for the arcade and US releases. For all other regions, we could not confirm that at this time.

King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match. The good news about this game is that it will be released for the PS2, however, this will be later down the line. The arcade version will be released the first week of March on the Taito Type X board (not X squared). The arcade version should look better and play faster for the most part, but as of now, we just have to wait and see.

Metal Slug 7. Wow!! Wow!! Wow!! Nintendo DS owners are going to get a great present. We are HUGE Metal Slug fans and Metal Slug 7 is a MUST have. SNK Playmore USA had a playable version (all 7 levels) and this game is a monster. If you have played Metal Slug 3 or 6, there is more action in this version. One certain levels, you were bombarded by at least 7-9 enemies shooting, throwing grenades, trying to stab you, all at once. The best news is we unofficially heard it will finally be two-player simultaneous. A first for an original Slug on a portable system. 6 selectable characters, new moves, new weapons, and with the Nintendo DS's dual screen, a map below for progress on where you're at in the stage. If you don't have a Nintendo DS, this game alone is a good reason to have one.

SNK Compilations/Classics. SNK has so many great classic titles as well as a plethora of fighters that they can give more to their fans and they are, with Anthologies, Collections and Volumes, which they will be releasing for the KOF, Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown Series. They are also releasing what they call their Arcade Hits, such as Burning Fight, Baseball Stars.

Check back with us sometime tonight for the videos of some of SNK's goodies. How about Metal Slug 7 and a higher res. version of KOF XII? Maybe worth it!!

Dascu

Metal Slug 7 co-op? Awesome. I assume it's not online though. That would've been a bit too awesome, I guess.

Hmm, so they're going to do an anthology for Fatal Fury too? That would be Day 1 if it comes out on Wii with Garou MotW playable. Are they planning an anthology for the Last Blade series as well, or are they going to shun that franchise? :(

Any confirmation on whether Iori is gonna be back? It would suck to not have him in Hi_Res spritey goodness. Also = ( on Terry going back to his baseball cap look. I knew it was coming but I LOVED his MOTW look. Ah well.

Still sadness is gone, this game is going to be freaking SWEET! It looks un-be-fucking-lieveable! Holy crap the difference is night and day! Also, props on them using Kyo's classic theme for the trailer soundtrack!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
if there's a FF anthology with garou included, I'll only buy it for Garou. the FF was never that good compared to other SNK fighting franchises, ironically it was the most popular SNK fighting series back in the day.

Samurai Shodown Collection nom nom nom

Any confirmation on whether Iori is gonna be back? It would suck to not have him in Hi_Res spritey goodness. Also = ( on Terry going back to his baseball cap look. I knew it was coming but I LOVED his MOTW look. Ah well.
he is coming back, but it's been rumored quite a bit that he is going to get a complete new design along with a new fighting style, since at the end of KOFXI Ash stole his powers.

Dascu

Error said:
if there's a FF anthology with garou included, I'll only buy it for Garou. the FF was never that good compared to other SNK fighting franchises, ironically it was the most popular SNK fighting series back in the day.

Samurai Shodown Collection nom nom nom
Yeah, pretty much. Garou's the main course. The other FFs are just side-dishes and appetizers.

KingJ2002

MOTW is not included in the FF collection... the FF collection is Real Bout 1, 2, and Special IIRC... they re-released Garou on the PS2 in JP w/ online play but it didnt get a US Port.

Error

I hope Vanessa is in this game

vanessa-stance.gif
vanessa-sway.gif
vanessa-theol12.gif
vanessa-punches.gif

in HD :eek:

anyway confirmed characters so far
Leona
Goro
Terry
Kyo
Ash
Athena (? certainly looked like her in the trailer)
Kim
Benimaru
Elizabeth

Dascu

KingJ2002 said:
MOTW is not included in the FF collection... the FF collection is Real Bout 1, 2, and Special IIRC... they re-released Garou on the PS2 in JP w/ online play but it didnt get a US Port.
=(

ShinAmano

I can't wait...I picked up 11 after not playing the series forever because of this announcement...however I am playing it on a PS3 attached to a great TV and it is almost unplayable because of the graphics...this will be like a breath of fresh air!

Error

short interview with Masaki Kuukino (KOFXII producer)

1UP: Apart from the visuals, what's the focus of the game? Is there a previous King of Fighters game it's most similar to?

MK: At the moment, I can't tell you the details. What I can say is it keeps the basic 3-on-3 fighting style, but I can't really compare it to a previous game in the series. We're trying to do something new, so I think it stands on its own.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166474

didnt really say much, aside from the game being in development for a long time.

media.jpg

Dascu said:
Metal Slug 7 co-op? Awesome. I assume it's not online though. That would've been a bit too awesome, I guess.

Hmm, so they're going to do an anthology for Fatal Fury too? That would be Day 1 if it comes out on Wii with Garou MotW playable. Are they planning an anthology for the Last Blade series as well, or are they going to shun that franchise? :(

There was a PS2 Last Blade collection a couple of years ago. It didn't come out here, obviously. :(

Danielsan

Just watched the trailer.I didn't read the text so at first I was like huh, this looks exactly like KOFXI. Than they showed KOFXII, my jaw met the floor. Can't fucking wait.

mint

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
I hate that Fatcoon designed lead character with the Beehive hairdo. >:O

PLEASE GIVE ME ONLINE ENABLED US PS3 VERSION SNK!
That's not Fatcoon, that's that one artist who did the Neo Geo Battle Coliseum. Nona is the lead character designer for this game. We have yet to see character artwork yet, other than that promotional poster..who, as I mentioned already, is not done by Fatcoon or Nona. It's sad that the artist for KOFXI is not lead designer for kofxii, but Nona is decent, as long as he doesn't go too crazy (snk vs capcom)

WarLox

Lightning said:
They are still deciding on 360 version, right? Sony should throw down some cash and tie up exclusive, I'm sure MS wouldn't pass up the opportunity. This game looks awesome.

screw you man... this game NEEDS Live or nothing at all

KingJ2002

WarLox said:
screw you man... this game NEEDS Live or nothing at all

no worries

"According to a recent interview conducted by Nikkei BP (the interview from is from sept 22nd, 2004), SNK Playmore is planning to add online play to all of its future fighting games.

"We believe that the real fun in fighting games is in playing against other people. But people that are most enthusiastic about fighting games are starting to enter the work force, so they're probably getting less chances to play them [at the arcades]," commented Ryoko Suzuki of SNK Playmore.

"So we're planning on adding online playability to all our titles after King of Fighters 94' Re-Bout," the upcoming remake of the 10-year-old seminal entry in the fighting game series, Suzuki said. "We want to provide an environment where the users can experience the thrill of playing against various other people at the arcades, but in their own homes.”
"

mr_boo

KingJ2002 said:
SNK Playmore is planning to add online play to all of its future fighting games.
Cool, that's a good thing. As a KOF fan, I want it to be a success and having it designated as a non-exclusive title increases the chances of just that.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Virtually ever fighting game SNK has released since 2005 has had online play.

Just not outside of Japan. But there's no way they're going to release fighters for PS3 and 360 without PSN and XBL support. That would be just foolish.

"no sprites were recycled in the making of this game" is the goofy tagline that ran through my brain after watching KOFXII. Finally, the next generation of 2D. I wonder if this'll mean the roster will be really small since it's 100% new sprite material. Really glad I watched the SF4 stuff *first* and not after KOFXII :p. Is SF2HD even on anyone's radar screen anymore??

turk128

Radd Spencer said:
Is SF2HD even on anyone's radar screen anymore??
It's simply unfair to even compare the two... on any level really. I mean, we're talking about hardcore, experienced 2D people here with SNK while SF2HD is... well, I'm not even sure how to describe it :\

Top Bottom