• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Of Fighters XII To Be Shown At AOU 2008, Console Release In 2009 Hooooooooolyyy

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Tiduz said:
My feelings about this game:
30lnl9g.gif
WTF? :lol
I'm going to agree with the majority here, the game looks great. I'll be praying for an Xbox 360 version now. :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Take Out Bandit said:
Thanks.

Yeah, pretty much what I expected.

Awful character designs. Sub-SNK/Capcom animation. Very high detail characters.

Well at least Arc Systems is consistent. :\

And their fighting system is awesome. I love the bizzare designs and weapons many of the GG characters use, so I hope BB is more of the same

HK-47 said:
And their fighting system is awesome.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Arc Systems popcorn fighting.

I prefer my SF/KoF/VF style fighters where-in I hit people and it hurts, as opposed to hitting them 50 times in the air for the same amount of damage as a Fierce punch. :p

Niks

Just saw the higher quality vid, and holy shit!! at the difference between XI and XII!!!
Looking forward to a direct feed version.

Xater

I only hope they will put in some songleplayer content. That's the only thing that really stinks about the KOF console ports, there is pretty much nothing else there. I can't play that often against other people so it would be nice to have some effort put into that aspect.

TreIII

shidoshi said:
And again I'll say, unless it's '98 or earlier Mai, they can keep her gone.

I honestly preferred her RB2 rendition over her KOF versions, but that's just me.

Any way, after the recent bit of ADK love in some of their previous games (Mizuguchi was in MIRegA), I wonder if this one game will FINALLY be one where Karnov can join the party. I'd be no more good if he got in, and developed some sort of rivalry with Chang Koehan. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Interesting that KOF XII has some people fooled (or are WE fooled). Earnest at Wired has a write up on this

Recently we've seen a ton of footage from Capcom's upcoming Street Fighter IV, and never to be outdone by the House of Hadoken SNK has answered back with the above clip, the first trailer from King of Fighters XII.

The newest King of Fighters title is slated to hit arcades later this year and unnamed consoles at the beginning of 2009.

The most stunning thing about that footage is that it's all "kinda 3D". Specifically those are 3D-rendered characters with 3D backgrounds, but the characters all move on a 2D plane and are textured to look 2D.

In short, the game is real purty.

What?

Maztorre

Kintaro said:
Interesting that KOF XII has some people fooled (or are WE fooled). Earnest at Wired has a write up on this

What?

Wow, someone hasn't a clue what they're writing about! It's 2D. People just aren't used to seeing high quality 2D graphics, I guess? I mean, the sprites look just like Nona's character art for SNK brought to life.

RyanDG

I'm looking at the screen shots, and if that's segmented 3D shaded as 2D, I'll be surprised. Either way, it looks good (which is all that matters), but that doesn't give off the same look as some of the other segmented 3D as 2D games that I've seen. Perhaps the technology increase has gotten to the point where 3D really can emulate classic 2D more effectively than 2D can? ;)

Dali

RyanDG said:
I'm looking at the screen shots, and if that's segmented 3D shaded as 2D, I'll be surprised. Either way, it looks good (which is all that matters), but that doesn't give off the same look as some of the other segmented 3D as 2D games that I've seen. Perhaps the technology increase has gotten to the point where 3D really can emulate classic 2D more effectively than 2D can? ;)

I can't really see shit. That stage 6 video on the wired page is the best quality I've seen so far. As it is now, I'm going to say no fucking way those character models are 3D, but maybe that Wired blogger, having seen the trailer in person (I assume) was able to see tell-tale signs of 3D that aren't apparent in the shit quality I'm looking at. More likely this game is high res 2D sprites and that wired blogger is a fucking retard, but who knows. It's a damn shame when the ineptitude of vg news outlets is so prevalent that you have to question everything they say.

Tain

Yeah, I can't believe this is 3D yet. I mean, I think it's technically possible to do stuff like this with polygons, but SNK would have to be going more balls-out to make it look 2D than I'd ever imagine a developer doing in reality. Hell, you can see upscaling when they do the Kyo/Ash closeup.

Anyway, I always thought that Taito Type X and Type X2 games were 480p. I guess they can run in high def if developers want them to. Weird seeing this and Street Fighter IV on the same hardware.

RyanDG

Tain said:
Anyway, I always thought that Taito Type X and Type X2 games were 480p. I guess they can run in high def if developers want them to. Weird seeing this and Street Fighter IV on the same hardware.

Standard output on Type X2 games is 720p since the hardware is "designed" for Taito's Viewlix cabinets.

What I find really weird is considering how much of a disappointment the original Type X was, Taito was somehow able to court so many developers to the Type X2.

derder

This looks amazing. I think capcom should ditch sf4 asap and go to this style. I'm not into fighters... but god damn.

TreIII

RyanDG said:
Standard output on Type X2 games is 720p since the hardware is "designed" for Taito's Viewlix cabinets.

What I find really weird is considering how much of a disappointment the original Type X was, Taito was somehow able to court so many developers to the Type X2.

Well, look at it this way. What other options are there?

At this stage of the game, you either will try to squeeze the last few bucks out of older platforms like the System 256 or Naomi, or you go to newer and better things like Lindbergh or Taito's hardware.

When you boil it down like that, Taito's hardware, which is basically high-end Windows-compatible stuff, was the preferable option for a lot of companies, namely people like SNK, who can pretty much be free to push the hardware as much (or conversely, as little, in the case of KOFMI:RegA, KOF98:UM and SS SEN) as they would want.

Tain

Also, I always hear people talk about how disappointing Type X was, but why is that? It had some solid games, at the very least.

Stupidly priced given the hardware inside, or something?

TreIII

Tain said:
Also, I always hear people talk about how disappointing Type X was, but why is that? It had some solid games, at the very least.

One thing I heard was that the hardware wasn't as stable as it could have been. Some one told me that basically, what happened to BF at its early stages (runtime errors and such!) was something that was even more prevalent during the TX original's lifetime.

Heezzi

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
I can't believe fighting games are making a comeback. It's like a present from God.

I have tears in my eyes.

Maybe the world ends this year?

Great job SNK Playmore .

Btw. Funny how everyone evades that it's "SNK Playmore" and the company is more of a Playmore then SNK now. :lol But this day shows that it's great they saved SNK.

The year 2000 saw the beginning of the end for SNK. In January, their poor financial status forced them to become acquired by Aruze, a company well known for their pachinko machines. Instead of using SNK's franchises for video games, Aruze manufactured Pachinko machines featuring popular series such as King of Fighters. SNK saw little success on the video game market due to (reportedly deliberate) under-financing on Aruze's part, so the original founder, Eikichi Kawasaki left the company, along with other executives, to found the company named Playmore.....

SNK collapsed in December 25th, 2000, filed for bankruptcy and placed the intellectual property rights for the SNK franchises on bidding.

As a part of their efforts to reestablish their presence in the gaming market, Playmore purchased Brezzasoft and renamed it SNK NeoGeo Corp, giving the company an internal game development team. A Japanese commercial games distributor, Sun Amusement, was also purchased in order to provide the company with an arcade distribution outlet in Japan. International offices were established in South Korea, Hong Kong, and the United States under the SNK NeoGeo name for commercial, and later, consumer gaming distribution. All of these entities were later consolidated into SNK Playmore when Playmore regained the rights to use the SNK name for a holding company on July 7, 2003. Today, SNK Playmore in Japan highly resembles the original company. It employs a good proportion of employees from the old SNK and occupies its former building. However, the U.S division has drastically changed, with the office being located in Wall, New Jersey instead of California.

This will explain it. ^^^

RyanDG

Tain said:

The hardware ended up being really disproportional to its value after only a few months on the market and Taito never really worked through all the stability issues.

Heezzi

Banned
Maztorre said:
Wow, someone hasn't a clue what they're writing about! It's 2D. People just aren't used to seeing high quality 2D graphics, I guess? I mean, the sprites look just like Nona's character art for SNK brought to life.

And people are still foole. Do you know how long it would take to redo all those charaters and animations in 2D? Look how long SF2HD is taking.. and that is only 12 characters....

The shits is in 3d except shaded and on a 2D plane.

"2.5D"

RyanDG

Heezzi said:
And people are still foole. Do you know how long it would take to redo all those charaters and animations in 2D? Look how long SF2HD is taking.. and that is only 12 characters....

"2.5D"

The game has been in development for a while. It is a possibility this is sprite based. I'm not saying it is for sure, but I wouldn't discredit it since this game has been in development since early 2006.

Souther

Banned
Looks Fantastic!

Damn, it would be nice if SNK would do a poll asking the fans what characters they would like to see the most.

This happened back in 97 when SNK did a poll and that is how the team of Yamazaki, Billy Kane and Blue Mary came about.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Foxtastical said:
Just fucking bring Joe and Andy back. Dicks.
Just fucking bring everyone back so that I can read at least one thread about a fighting game without people whining for their favorite character to return.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Heezzi said:

"2.5D"

If this is in 2.5D, then SNK just cockslapped SF4 in terms of "bringing 2D to 3D" because it looks exactly the same. I really don't think this is 2.5D though.

Gandara

Why do people think it's not 2D? Even though it wasn't high res, Art of Fighting 3 had some smooth animation and they are probably using a similar technique to make this fighter. I bet they are using 3D models to rotoscope against, but it's all 2D. Quite honest, KOF isn't SNK's best looking fighter compared to the other fighters they've made. Making the characters smaller sacrified alot of the details.

orioto

Good Art™
I just had a weird idea.

The quality is so unbelievable... The final game should have a lot of charas, and the development is far from finished.

I hope this is not some kind of "2D target render", to show what they were looking for....
Certainly not anyway...

Top Bottom