• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Of Fighters XII To Be Shown At AOU 2008, Console Release In 2009 Hooooooooolyyy

Ploid 3.0

Man I'm totally forgetting about SF4 for the time being. This is my new hottness. Sprites + awesome animation = win.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
shagg_187 said:
WOW!!!! :D

SNK Redeemed! King of Fighters is here to stay! Sorry Capcom, but you lost your throne in 1994 ;)

Not counting all the great spin-offs like Capcom vs. SNK and Marvel vs. Capcom
Redeemed indeed. Especially considering turds like SvC Chaos and SamSho Zero.

Tenka was awesome, but this is just SNK stepping up.

dkeane

Just watched the better version, wow looks really nice. Wish they would up the animation on the background characters. The main characters are so huge now, KOF reborn. We need some more media. Is this playable at the show or are they just going to have this trailer there?

kurahadol

This is the greatest gift I could've ever asked for. Any worry I had has been diminished, THIS IS HOW YOU CREATE A NEXT GEN FIGHTER. I'm not going to be able to wait til 2009, someone freeze me in the mountains and wake me up when the time is right.

Defuser

I kinda feel sorry for the states. Chances of XII in the US arcade are very rare and they won't be getting the console version till 2010/2011.

Kuran

Banned
Defuser said:
I kinda feel sorry for the states. Chances of XII in the US arcade are very rare and they won't be getting the console version till 2010/2011.

The PS3 version will at least be region-free.

RyanDG

Defuser said:

It'll be in my basement "arcade" once its released... I picked up a Type X2. Anyone near the Memphis area will be free to come check it out. ;)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Looking at the animation in the KOF trailer I think I see the secret: it's using a "frame jumping" effect where the characters suddenly cut between particular spots in their animation as if they were hand-drawn 2D sprites.

This is what I had been theorizing Capcom should have done with SF4 to give the effect of 2D animation. But, SF4 appears to be animated like a typical 3D game where every single movement has between frames.

I'm not gonna call it before SF4 is finished because for all the "Capowned" crowing here, Capcom is obviously listening to what the fans are saying regarding SF4 - anything could happen before it is released.

However, SNK might have found the secret win button when it comes to making a 2.5d fighter than feels like a sprite based game.

NeonZ

Looking at the animation in the KOF trailer I think I see the secret: it's using a "frame jumping" effect where the characters suddenly cut between particular spots in their animation as if they were hand-drawn 2D sprites.

Huh... They clearly are hand drawn 2d sprites... There's zoom, but even Art of Fighting had that more than a decade ago...

harSon

Banned
At first I was pretty unimpressed until I noticed that the beginning footage was from the older King of Fighter :lol New one looks awesome.

RyanDG

NeonZ said:
Huh... They clearly are hand drawn 2d sprites... There's zoom, but even Art of Fighting had that more than a decade ago...

I think people are still hung up on Kotaku claiming "they called it" about the game not being sprite based without really paying attention to the video. ;)

Not quite the leap I was expecting. Looks on par with SF3, which isn't bad; but doesn't quite leave 1997's graphics in the dust. :\

Perhaps I just need direct feed clean video to truly appreciate it.

Will buy, but hopefully PS3 in the West gets some on-line play to go with it! >:|

ZOMG
Holy Effing CRAP!

this game makes me devolve into a screaming fanboy, much like The Beatles did to young American girls back in the 60's. I'm that excited.

TreIII

...Oh....oh wow!

Now THAT looks like some good stuff! Good thing the console ports don't come out til like 2009, now I got some thing to save up for! :D

orioto

Good Art™
The Take Out Bandit said:
Not quite the leap I was expecting. |

Technically speaking, i think this game is a (let me count) ... 18 years leap from its predecessor^^

We go from a game that could play on a 1990 hardware to a game that could (i guess) make PS3 and XBOX 360 worried abour their ram and processing power.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Perhaps I just need direct feed clean video to truly appreciate it.

Yes, I think so. It looks to me that we'll get GG quality sprites with animations comparable to MOTW/SF3. No direct feed vid yet? Was the game playable at AOU, if not any locke test date given? Can't fucking wait!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
My feelings about this game:
30lnl9g.gif

orioto said:
Technically speaking, i think this game is a (let me count) ... 18 years leap from its predecessor^^

We go from a game that could play on a 1990 hardware to a game that could (i guess) make PS3 and XBOX 360 worried abour their ram and processing power.

Are you high? :\

18 year leap?

Seriously need better video, and I'm not trying to bash this game - but like I said, this reminds me very much of SF3, which was released back in 1997. Just because SNK was too cheap to update their sprites in the past 11 years doesn't make this a huge leap.

It's more of an - It's about freakin' time!

Honestly, I see nothing here that should give console owners anything to be concerned about. PS2/Xbox could handle this. :\

Davidion

Holy shit!!! This is...actually a gorgeous looking transition to 3D?! Well, some of it anyways.

Want see more now thanks

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Seriously need better video, and I'm not trying to bash this game - but like I said, this reminds me very much of SF3, which was released back in 1997. Just because SNK was too cheap to update their sprites in the past 11 years doesn't make this a huge leap.

I don't know about the animation, but the sprite size, detail and resolution take a giant shit all over SF3. Which is no knock on SF3. Check out Blue Blaz as well.

orioto

Good Art™
Are you high? :\

18 year leap?

Hmm, i think you underestimate the difference, technically speaking, between a 80x125 16 color sprite and a.. 4 times bigger one with 256, maybe a lot more colors...

dfyb

Banned
Atomspike said:
it is quite certain that if Capcom wanted to make a next gen 2D fighting game , it would undeniably destroy anything SNK has ever made and will make .
:lol there's absolutely no logic behind this post

mollipen

Just because SNK was too cheap to update their sprites in the past 11 years doesn't make this a huge leap.

You DO realize that for a company the size of SNK, doing something like this isn't just something they can decide to do on a whim whenever they feel like it, right?

And for christ's sake, enough with the Capcom versus SNK nonsense in here. (Not the games, but the "___ destroys ___" stuff. The world is big enough for both company's games, and each produces stuff tailored more towards their fans. I'm far more an SNK person, and personally think KOF'98 is more enjoyable than almost every Capcom fighter ever, but that doesn't mean the game is better than Capcom's stuff.

We can love and enjoy what we are going to get in KOFXII without shitting all over SF4 or whatever else.

kurahadol

orioto said:
Hmm, i think you underestimate the difference, technically speaking, between a 80x125 16 color sprite and a.. 4 times bigger one with 256, maybe a lot more colors...

Especially when there hasn't even been a clean view of how it actually looks.

Kintaro said:
I don't know about the animation, but the sprite size, detail and resolution take a giant shit all over SF3. Which is no knock on SF3. Check out Blue Blaz as well.

I'm waiting for direct feed videos of these things.

Although I'm not quite interested in Blue Blaz(e) because Arc System Works fails at character design. They're the freakin' Rob Liefield of generic anime cliche characters. SPIKEY HAIR AND SOWARDS!

Arc System Works should be chained up in a basement and forced to work on nothing but Fist of the North Star games.

I'll still look at Blue Blaz(e), but I reserve the right to projectile vomit.

Kintaro

I'm waiting for direct feed videos of these things.

Although I'm not quite interested in Blue Blaz(e) because Arc System Works fails at character design. They're the freakin' Rob Liefield of generic anime cliche characters. SPIKEY HAIR AND SOWARDS!

Arc System Works should be chained up in a basement and forced to work on nothing but Fist of the North Star games.

I'll still look at Blue Blaz(e), but I reserve the right to projectile vomit.

http://www.famitsu.com/fwtv/asx/news/080215_blazblue.asx

Here. Streaming video of some of BB. Can't help you with the designs thing. That's an extremely personal thing (I personally think half of those "iconic" SF characters look like fucking garbage yet they made their way into SF4. So, different strokes).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
y'know, for a second there, this thread reminded me of my arcade circa 94'. Damn, i miss those days....

Niks

Man I seriously hope Konami looks at these 2D-HD games.
Listen to the fans Konami!!! Castlevania 2D-HD!!!

Make it happen!!

Kintaro said:
http://www.famitsu.com/fwtv/asx/news/080215_blazblue.asx

Here. Streaming video of some of BB. Can't help you with the designs thing. That's an extremely personal thing (I personally think half of those "iconic" SF characters look like fucking garbage yet they made their way into SF4. So, different strokes).

Video will not play nice with Firefox on my Macbook.

Will wait for non-screwball format.

And I'm inclined to agree with you on some of the SF character designs, but I'll take SF over wanna-be Tsukasa Kotobuki / Tenchi Muyo character mash-ups anyday of the week. :p

I'd go so far as to rank them:

1. SNK
2. Capcom.
3. Poop.
9,999,999,999,999. Arc System Works

:p

Kintaro

Video will not play nice with Firefox on my Macbook.

Will wait for non-screwball format.

And I'm inclined to agree with you on some of the SF character designs, but I'll take SF over wanna-be Tsukasa Kotobuki / Tenchi Muyo character mash-ups anyday of the week. :p

I'd go so far as to rank them:

1. SNK
2. Capcom.
3. Poop.
9,999,999,999,999. Arc System Works

:p

It plays just fine through Firefox. Remember it's famitsu, so hit enter again. Or play it in WMP or something. Works fine.

stotch said:
You have to copy and paste the url in a new window. Just clicking on the link doesn't work for some reason.

No, I got that far.

Video requires some non-standard plug-in for playback. :\

I'll wait. It's not like Famitsu is the only place on the planet this will show up at.

Shut up Kintaro!

HD Benimaru > YOU!

KingJ2002

after looking at the higher quality videos... it looks like snk might as taken a few pointers from production i.g. when it comes to the animation and the character details. maybe while they were doing KOF: Another Day they were also conceptualizing the animations with them.

Top Bottom