• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX |OT| Sora is Everyone... in HD

Surely they won't...

They will.

They wouldn't...

They are, aren't they...

Don't forget 4X Kingdom Hearts 2 including such classic moments as earning money for pretzels.

MljQUsX.gif

You know, this gif reminds me, they need more Disney villains in KH3. I wouldn't mind smacking Gastan in the face with a Keyblade. Or beat up
Hans
from Frozen.

Question: Was there any "easy" way to beat Ursula, both fights, on proud? I found those fights to be the only real stinkers since underwater controls were lame. I remember trying to get behind her fat head and the constant thunder spam being super annoying.

Question: Was there any "easy" way to beat Ursula, both fights, on proud? I found those fights to be the only real stinkers since underwater controls were lame. I remember trying to get behind her fat head and the constant thunder spam being super annoying.
The cheapest method people seem to bring up from time to time is to simply run away from her and wait while Donald and Goofy kill her. I'm too impatient for that.

The cheapest method people seem to bring up from time to time is to simply run away from her and wait while Donald and Goofy kill her. I'm too impatient for that.

I remember trying that, but they would die soooooooo fast, at least Ariel did some damage with her spinning attack. Like you, I had zero patients for that strategy and decided to man up. Fight her, quite literally, face to face. I guess a poorly designed boss will forever be a poorly designed boss.

Ursula's not really that tough but you need to get good at knowing how she telegraphs her moves and avoiding her Thundaga bolts. I still think that Clayton/Stealth Sneak's a much tougher Disney-boss fight (his shotgun is practically hitscan in terms of how fast it does damage to you, though at least he's eminently stunnable).

Ursula's not really that tough but you need to get good at knowing how she telegraphs her moves and avoiding her Thundaga bolts. I still think that Clayton/Stealth Sneak's a much tougher Disney-boss fight (his shotgun is practically hitscan in terms of how fast it does damage to you, though at least he's eminently stunnable).

Eventually, I got pretty good at reading her moves, I guess I just hated the controls, making the battle harder and more frustrating that it should have been.

I don't remember having too much trouble with Clayton/Stealth Sneak. Though I did lose a couple of times. For some reason I had trouble dodging Steal Sneak's eye lasers.

Eventually, I got pretty good at reading her moves, I guess I just hated the controls, making the battle harder and more frustrating that it should have been.

I don't remember having too much trouble with Clayton/Stealth Sneak. Though I did lose a couple of times. For some reason I had trouble dodging Steal Sneak's eye lasers.

The eye lasers are possible to deflect if you have Guard or by using a well-timed swing, too.

Psxphile

Can anyone explain why the Stealth (I think they actually go by a different name) Sneaks you fight in the Colosseum refuse to take damage/die after you knock 'em down to almost nothing/nothing? Some kind of weird glitch?

Felt like I was fighting a Breath of Fire 1 boss.

Can anyone explain why the Stealth (I think they actually go by a different name) Sneaks you fight in the Colosseum refuse to take damage/die after you knock 'em down to almost nothing/nothing? Some kind of weird glitch?

Felt like I was fighting a Breath of Fire 1 boss.
I think it's just a thing that carries from the Clayton boss. Afaik it is invincible until it is visible/clayton is off it's back even if you go nuts with cheats.

The eye lasers are possible to deflect if you have Guard or by using a well-timed swing, too.

I figured that out around the 3rd time I fought him in FM, after having my butt handed to me the previous battles.. He was definitely harder in FM. The original Clayton/Stealth Sneak in KH were a cake walk, so I never actually knew about deflecting his eye lasers till 1.5HD so many years later.

Ah, I just beat it again, probably my tenth time. Proud Mode, as always.

Still my favorite game in the series, despite some rough edges.

Mickey's grand entrance and Riku's "take care of her," the ending is so good.

It's just too bad that.. every other game happened.

I think it's just a thing that carries from the Clayton boss. Afaik it is invincible until it is visible/clayton is off it's back even if you go nuts with cheats.

Yeah. I think the point of that is to encourage you to go after Clayton first and foremost (which is absolutely the easiest way to end the battle, though it might garner you less experience).

JTripper

Kingdom Hearts has still proven to be my favorite game of all time. It seriously was an absolute pleasure to platinum it and I STILL feel as though I didn't spend enough time on it.

As for Re:Chain goes, the platinum was earned, though I hope to never set my hands upon it again.

Whoa. This is MY screenshot.

I posted it on Twitter a few years ago.

I wonder how it got around, heh.

I really love having Sora's MP/HP bars match perfectly, and mine *are* of the same length but IIRC I went with the Ultima Weapon over Diamond Dust (because it's better, guys).

Goddamit the ending is pissed me off so much I'm about to break something. I just beat the winged demon, and now I have to beat a shit load of heartless. Every time I think I'm finally done, there's another wave of enemies that appears. I've never used the items in the game, but I've given everyone a bunch of mega-potions/ethers and megaelixers and I still can't beat them. If only they had put a save point after you beat the winged demon...

I'm pretty sure you can go back and save.

I tried, you can't. When you leave the volcano there's nowhere to go. I checked on a walk though and apparently after you beat all those enemies there's a save point since you have to beat Ansem.

Yes there is a save point right after that. I could have sworn you can go back and save but maybe I remember wrong.

I just picked up my first ever KH game (1.5 HD Remix). Anything I need to know before diving in?

If you didn't choose the Staff at the beginning of the game, you should start over and do that. #teamstaff
Yes there is a save point right after that. I could have sworn you can go back and save but maybe I remember wrong.
You can actually rise up to the very very top of the volcano scene and go back to the Hundred Acre Wood green-column save point. It's just that, for some weird reason, you need to rise up REALLY REALLY FAR and it's hard to tell if you're moving or not.

Son Of D

I tried, you can't. When you leave the volcano there's nowhere to go. I checked on a walk though and apparently after you beat all those enemies there's a save point since you have to beat Ansem.

When you get to the area where you battled Chernabog, go all the way to the top? You'll then be able to get back to the save point in the "100 Acre Wood".

JC Lately

I’m just going to say it: Proud Mode is not fun. Every time I get to a new world I die in two hits. When I got Aero and it’s upgrades, that was up to three. Tink makes it 4, counting her one-time full-heal if you run out of HP when she’s summoned. I powered through all the way to Hollow Bastion out of sheer spite and because my 8 year old is having as blast watching the cut scenes like its the best Disney Movie Ever, but fuck dude. Never again. All subsequent KH remixes will be played on normal.

Though I’d mop up the Hades cup before I go synthesis component hunting? Nope. Can’t get past Cerberus. Ok fine, I’ll just grind some more then do it, went to my favorite grinding spot In hollow Bastion, got killed in three hits by that fucking invisible heartless. Reloaded, went back fully prepared for his ass this time, ran low on magic casting stop over and over, died. Reloaded, timed my casting better, focused on the invisible guy, kept getting pelted by all the other enemies, tried to cure, but chose Sword 30 hours ago so I don’t have Leaf Bracer, died.

Went back to Traverse Town to grind.

Fuck Proud Mode.

JC Lately

I always choose sword though. It's never been a problem before.

Why even give me a choice when there is really only one correct answer?

At least I chose 'dusk' at the beginning so It won't take too long to grind.

There isn't one correct answer, it goes as expected.
If you pick sword, you're expected to dish out a significant amount of damage, but you'll die easily. The shield makes you survive longer and the staff makes you awesome.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I’m just going to say it: Proud Mode is not fun. Every time I get to a new world I die in two hits. When I got Aero and it’s upgrades, that was up to three. Tink makes it 4, counting her one-time full-heal if you run out of HP when she’s summoned. I powered through all the way to Hollow Bastion out of sheer spite and because my 8 year old is having as blast watching the cut scenes like its the best Disney Movie Ever, but fuck dude. Never again. All subsequent KH remixes will be played on normal.

Though I’d mop up the Hades cup before I go synthesis component hunting? Nope. Can’t get past Cerberus. Ok fine, I’ll just grind some more then do it, went to my favorite grinding spot In hollow Bastion, got killed in three hits by that fucking invisible heartless. Reloaded, went back fully prepared for his ass this time, ran low on magic casting stop over and over, died. Reloaded, timed my casting better, focused on the invisible guy, kept getting pelted by all the other enemies, tried to cure, but chose Sword 30 hours ago so I don’t have Leaf Bracer, died.

Went back to Traverse Town to grind.

Fuck Proud Mode.

You could always make your life worse and do a kingdom key only run like my brother and I did.

hehehe

On Demand

Banned
What order should this be played/watched?

True story: I never beat KH 1 on PS2 because my little brother deleted my saved game. I got to the last boss. I was pretty damn upset. Never felt like playing through the game again.

So i'm really looking to finally finishing the game this time.

What order should this be played/watched?

True story: I never beat KH 1 on PS2 because my little brother deleted my saved game. I got to the last boss. I was pretty damn upset. Never felt like playing through the game again.

So i'm really looking to finally finishing the game this time.

KH1->Re:CoM->358/2 Days

If you want THE most optimal order for entire series then KH1->Re:CoM (wait for 2.5 to release) ->KH2->358/2 Days->Birth By Sleep->Dream Drop Distance. So the release order. But watching Days before KH2 isn't a huge mistake either.

I almost feel like watching 358/2 Days before KH2 is *better* because it does a much better job of making a bunch of the Organization members far more interesting or at least well fleshed-out. They're... mostly pretty boring and poorly defined in KH2, honestly.

The only thing it "spoils" in KH2 is what's going on during the prologue and what the Organization's goal for the Keyblade and its wielder(s) is (that is, outside of some of DDD's revelations/retcons to that effect). Apart from that, it mostly makes KH2's narrative better and less sloppy for the most part (especially with the added KH2FM cutscenes teasing things about BBS and the Chambers of Repose/Awakening).

zeemumu

I almost feel like watching 358/2 Days before KH2 is *better* because it does a much better job of making a bunch of the Organization members far more interesting or at least well fleshed-out. They're... mostly pretty boring and poorly defined in KH2, honestly.

The only thing it "spoils" in KH2 is what's going on during the prologue and what the Organization's goal for the Keyblade and its wielder(s) is (that is, outside of some of DDD's revelations/retcons to that effect). Apart from that, it mostly makes KH2's narrative better and less sloppy for the most part (especially with the added KH2FM cutscenes teasing things about BBS and the Chambers of Repose/Awakening).

I wouldn't call it sloppy. I think they told Roxas' story out of order on purpose so that the player would be able to relate to how confusing jumbling around your memories is for the protagonists. It definitely does help to solidify the plot at the cost of mystery, though.

I wouldn't call it sloppy. I think they told Roxas' story out of order on purpose so that the player would be able to relate to how confusing jumbling around your memories is for the protagonists. It definitely does help to solidify the plot at the cost of mystery, though.

I think they mostly told Roxas' story out of order because people would have been like "what the fuck is this bullshit" if we got a second handheld game before KH2 that starred some weepy kid instead of Sora. Back when KH fans were used to the series being on consoles, I mean.

zeemumu

I think they mostly told Roxas' story out of order because people would have been like "what the fuck is this bullshit" if we got a second handheld game before KH2 that starred some weepy kid instead of Sora. Back when KH fans were used to the series being on consoles, I mean.

I think they would've been fine. The post-credits cinematic from KH 1 had everyone hyped for the black coat battle so fans would've instantly assumed that it would be featured in the Roxas game, then gotten disappointed at the level of BS that you had to go through to get to that short moment of awesome.

Szadek

I think they would've been fine. The post-credits cinematic from KH 1 had everyone hyped for the black coat battle so fans would've instantly assumed that it would be featured in the Roxas game, then gotten disappointed at the level of BS that you had to go through to get to that short moment of awesome.
Thy only real moment of awesome was
the Zexion fight
,though.

That's true. But I still don't think the story was told out of order in this case because the story for KH2 is necessary before the story for 358/2 Days - and the 1.5 HD Remix confirms that Nomura believes that it makes sense to have 358/2 Days come first. I think they just wanted to go ahead and make KH2 happen right after KH1 was made, and Chain of Memories for the GBA was basically a placeholder to tide people over.

zeemumu

That's true. But I still don't think the story was told out of order in this case because the story for KH2 is necessary before the story for 358/2 Days - and the 1.5 HD Remix confirms that Nomura believes that it makes sense to have 358/2 Days come first. I think they just wanted to go ahead and make KH2 happen right after KH1 was made, and Chain of Memories for the GBA was basically a placeholder to tide people over.

Oh I don't think it's necessary for everything to work, just the surprise. For instance, the reveals of the remaining organization members, Roxas' Twilight Town, that kind of thing. You can play them in order of release for surprise or chronological order to make easier sense of the story.

Phatcorns

Couple of questions.

One, did the keyblade change appearances in the original kingdom hearts whenever you changed keychains? I don't think it did, did it? How about in the original Final Mix?

Two, does this game support DTS sound? I know it says it on the box, but does it work during gameplay?

zeemumu

Couple of questions.

One, did the keyblade change appearances in the original kingdom hearts whenever you changed keychains? I don't think it did, did it? How about in the original Final Mix?

Two, does this game support DTS sound? I know it says it on the box, but does it work during gameplay?

Yes it did. It does that in more or less every game.

And I'm not sure on the 2nd question.

Couple of questions.

I think the only game where it remains as the Kingdom Key in appearance no matter what is Re:CoM (in which case the cards you're using influence the properties of the attack but not its appearance).

Phatcorns

Man, my memory sucks then. I could have sworn it was always the regular keyblade. Either that or I was an idiot and played with the kingdom key the entire game.

Oh, and I figured out my own question, it does indeed support DTS.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Man, my memory sucks then. I could have sworn it was always the regular keyblade. Either that or I was an idiot and played with the kingdom key the entire game.

Oh, and I figured out my own question, it does indeed support DTS.

I played with the kingdom key for like the first 3 quarters of the game because I hadn't realized the use of keychains.

I'm disappointed in myself. As a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, I still didn't beat this yet. I started playing it when the HD collection released, got all the way to the end (unlocked the last world). Then I started to grind for stuff to get the Ultimate Weapon and kind of got bored and quit when new games came out. Haven't went back to it yet. :( I really want to beat it, then play Re: CoM before KH 2.5 HD releases. Speaking of which, I'm disappointed we still don't have a release date. :(

I feel the same. I was blasting trough my way to platinum, but started getting burned out on the gummi missions. Then FFXIV released. The rest is history.

I feel the same. I was blasting trough my way to platinum, but started getting burned out on the gummi missions. Then FFXIV released. The rest is history.

lol yeah, I got hooked on ARR as well for a while which took me away from other games. I've quit the game since then, but still haven't gone back to 1.5 HD yet. I don't like the grind to get the Ultimate Weapon, but I still want it. D: Same thing is gonna happen with FFX HD, too. I'd like to get all the ultimate weapons and do all the optional bosses, but knowing me, I'm gonna give up before actually doing that. I really don't like the "end game" in that one.

Top Bottom