• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

iaiY55W.png

Official Site|Trailer

Discuss spoilers here.

General Information
Developer: The Odd Gentlemen
Publisher: A rebooted Sierra Entertainment.
Genre: Adventure
Platform: PC/PS4/PS3/Xbox One/Xbox 360
Release Date: July 28 2015 (Chapter I), December 15 2015 (Chapter II), April 26 2016 (Chapter III), September 27 2016 (Chapter IV), October 25 2016 (Chapter V)
Price: $39.99 for The Complete Collection. Includes a bonus Epilogue that is only available in this collection.
Purchase: PC (Amazon, Steam), Xbox One, PS4, PS3. Can also be purchased at GameStop which includes an option to buy just the first chapter.

About
An aging King Graham reflects on a life of adventure with his granddaughter, Gwendolyn, taking players back to his teen years and his quest to become a knight of Daventry in King Edward’s royal guard. Discover a wondrous world full of whimsical characters, charming puzzles and perilous dangers in this fun and enchanting coming of age story.

The following is taken from its Wikipedia entry on how this game is reimagining. I left out some spoilers.

While the game is mostly concerned with new stories, the game will reimagine certain events, elements and backstories from previous games. Matt Korba, one of the developers describes it as similar to how different authors might retell the stories comic book heroes or the Wizard of Oz to a new audience (by telling the stories in a different way).

Some of Graham's backstory may differ from that given in previous material, as he is now an outsider that has recently come to Daventry, rather than a citizen of Daventry from birth (as seen according to the game trailers).

The Kingdom of Daventry itself is reimagined as a bustling walled city surrounding a huge fairy-tale inspired Castle Daventry, where as in the original game Castle Daventry was a lonely keep, surrounded by mostly wilderness.
This reboot also features Christopher Lloyd, Tom Kenny, Zelda Williams, Wallace Shawn, Maggie Elizabeth Jones, and Josh Keaton all doing the voices for characters.

Behind the Scenes
This is a series of videos showcasing various aspects of the game such as the art, music, and voice acting.

Chapter I Reviews
The Jimquisition - 9.5
Destructoid - 9.5
Forbes - 9/10
The Escapist - 4/5
IGN - 8.0
GameSpot - 8
Game Informer - 8
Polygon - 6.5
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Didn't like it.
Angry Centaur Gaming - BUY (Video)
Gametrailers Reviews - "Absolutely loved it." (Video)

Chapter II Reviews
iDigital Times - 4.0/5
God Is A Geek - 8/10
Hardcore Gamer - 3/5
Lazy Gamer - 7.5
Gamespresso - 7.0
PlayStation Life Style - 6.0

Original Series
Never played a King's Quest game before? Interested in checking out some of the older games? All eight of them are currently available on GOG in three packages.

1+2+3: $9.99
4+5+6: $9.99
7+8: $9.99

Remakes of the first three games can be found here for free.

Credit to malingenie for coming up with the title.

georly

Will be picking up tomorrow. I had 30~ in credit at gamestop burning a hole in my pocket, plus it came with a sweet pin. Can't wait. Some of my earliest childhood memories are of my dad playing KQ5 with me.

114164_bonusLG.jpg

Edit: It is a tad worrying that the game is coming out tomorrow but there are zero reviews. :/ Wonder when embargo drops or if just no one cares.

Cmagus

I'm looking forward to this. It looks really nice, I like the overall design I hope the game maintains that Kings Quest feel.

Montresor

An instant purchase for me, in 2016. I hope this isn`t frowned upon but I`m so over waiting for these games to complete development. I have the season pass ready and waiting for whenever Tales From Borderlands and Game Of Thrones are complete. And I`ll get the season pass for Life Is Strange whenever that is finished (whether or not there is a sale).

The game looks gorgeous and I`m sure I will really enjoy it, but I can`t just play Episode 1 and then wait a couple of weeks/months anymore.

do we know how long an episode is meant to be or the time frame between releases?

Going by this interview regarding time between chapters:

JG: Do you have a release timeframe or schedule down?

MK: Yeah, we’re not announcing it yet. We are already working on Chapter 2. This one is basically done and we are working on some finishing touches on it. You’re not going to have to wait a long time.

JG: You aren’t going to have to wait a year or something like that?

MK: I mean, this is our first game that we have done like this, but you aren’t going to be waiting a year at all. It is going to get crazy, but you won’t be waiting a year. Especially for this game, because there is so much detail in it, you don’t want it to be like Battlestar Galactica where you forgot everything by the time the new season came out. That’s why they did the “Last time on Battlestar Galactica…” and it was like ten minutes long. We will probably need to do a little bit of that, like “Last time on King’s Quest,” but the schedule we are currently rolling with is one that everyone who likes the game will be very happy with. We are definitely a small group and shipping on five platforms is ridiculous for us.

Steam has a nice Kings Quest collection you could maybe try if you want to play the previous games which I would highly recommend.

It was actually removed from Steam. GOG is currently the only place to get them (that I know of).

Montresor

My gosh, these are the guys that made PB Winterbottom? That's one of my favourite puzzle games from last gen. I think this game is going to be great.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm very interested in this but I really have no interest in paying that amount for a digital game. If there were a physical release at the end of all this (is there?) then I'll be in.

Cmagus

It was actually removed from Steam. GOG is currently the only place to get them (that I know of).

Oh thanks I didn't know that I bought mine a long time ago I just figured it was still there but even on GOG it's worth the purchase to play them.

It's kind of weird they decided to go with episodic for this though I hope it doesn't break things up too much.

Tucah

you speak so well
Going to wait for impressions/maybe a sale but I'm definitely interested in seeing how the revival turns out.

HUELEN10

I hope performance reviews for consoles come in. I don't have a PC and I have a 360, The One, and a PS3. Assuming The One is the way to go, but need to be absolutely sure...

Stet

Banned
I know KQ games get a lot of flack for being punishing, but I still hope this game is more KQ than Telltale in "puzzle" design.

georly

I know KQ games get a lot of flack for being punishing, but I still hope this game is more KQ than Telltale in "puzzle" design.

I will never be sad to see dead-ends gone from all adventure games. Lucasarts had it right. Getting all the way to the (KQ5 spoiler? 25 yr old spoiler?)
yeti and being stuck because you forgot to pick up the pie or you ate the pie because you were hungry
is infuriating. Don't let me play through 60% of the game and get stuck because I didn't do something in the first 15% of the game.

No one has time for that anymore. People buy more than 1-2 games a year now.

Stet

Banned
I will never be sad to see dead-ends gone from all adventure games. Lucasarts had it right. Getting all the way to the (KQ5 spoiler? 25 yr old spoiler?)
yeti and being stuck because you forgot to pick up the pie or you ate the pie because you were hungry
is infuriating. Don't let me play through 60% of the game and get stuck because I didn't do something in the first 15% of the game.

No one has time for that anymore. People buy more than 1-2 games a year now.

Well let's meet in the middle then and say I hope it's closer to LucasArts than Telltale.

I haven't been sucked into a Telltale game ever like I was with King's Quest / Simon the Sorcerer / Day of the Tentacle.

Definitely looking forward to this. I've never played a King's Quest game but the game has some great voice actors and the trailers looked like fun. I'm hoping for a fun ride

georly

Well let's meet in the middle then and say I hope it's closer to LucasArts than Telltale.

I haven't been sucked into a Telltale game ever like I was with King's Quest / Simon the Sorcerer / Day of the Tentacle.

At best, i'm hoping for something in the middle of lucasarts and telltale, as it seems to look more like a telltale. I do hope it's not full telltale, that'd be really disappointing.

Arkeband

Banned
Have they said if it's going to have dark comedic deaths like 1-6 had?

Even 7 had some deaths but they made them a bit more PG.

That's one of the most replayable aspects to KQ, finding out just how many ways you can kill Graham/Alexander.

"Look out! An undertow!!" As you die 2 seconds into the game starting by walking the wrong way in 6.

Stet

Banned
Have they said if it's going to have dark comedic deaths like 1-6 had?

Even 7 had some deaths but they made them a bit more PG.

That's one of the most replayable aspects to KQ, finding out just how many ways you can kill Graham/Alexander.

"Look out! An undertow!!" As you die 2 seconds into the game starting by walking the wrong way in 6.

6 was my ideal game, actually. Any dead ends are pretty easy to avoid, and it has the best story / varied puzzle style.

7 has no dead ends, and though it had the best settings, it was also the most janky.

Arkeband

Banned
6 was my ideal game, actually. Any dead ends are pretty easy to avoid, and it has the best story / varied puzzle style.

7 has no dead ends, and though it had the best settings, it was also the most janky.

7 had dead ends called bugs, where suddenly the environment would become non-interactive, and crashes to desktop were all too common.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Is this gonna be an open world game, or are we gonna get pulled from location to location. That's fine for games like Broken Sword but not for a KQ's game

georly

Is this gonna be an open world game, or are we gonna get pulled from location to location. That's fine for games like Broken Sword but not for a KQ's game

King's quest has never really been open world? It's always had a few areas that you get put into that are pretty big, but then once you progress you can't backtrack to the old areas (KQ6 let you teleport between islands, so maybe that?). I guess KQ1 had one big map, right? But almost all the other ones have big, disjointed maps.

RusselUp

It's a beautiful looking game and enjoyed what I played of it at E3. Hope the storytelling mechanism plays out well throughout the five episodes.

Walpurgis

Banned
I hope performance reviews for consoles come in. I don't have a PC and I have a 360, The One, and a PS3. Assuming The One is the way to go, but need to be absolutely sure...
This is my concern as well. I watched a video around E3 and it looked pretty janky.

wouwie

I wonder how much playtime each episode will be. It's double the price of Life is Strange and that game has very solid gamelength for each episode. Also, the time between episodes seems pretty much unknown unlike LIS, which did a great job in delivering on time (about 8 weeks).

Anyway, i really do hope it turns out to be a good game. I will wait for reviews and gameplay impressions though. Or i might just buy the first episode. Let's hope there is a way to upgrade that to season pass, similar to LIS iirc.

Top Bottom