• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

Cmagus

So has anyone got this working? I left it to download overnight and now it's telling me I need updates that don't exist.

Tizoc

It's not that the update doesn't exist: The update hasn't been put online yet.

Wait for the proper PS Store update then you should be able to play the game.

Tizoc

I see, do you know around what time that is?

A few years ago I would've told you 'Whenever Grace Chen felt like it'
Nowadays I'd say expect it to be up within the next 12 hours at the earliest.

I get that you're interested in playing the game and heck even I do! And I can't download the thing until 7ish hours from now when it unlocks on Steam ;3
Just give it a couple of hours and it'll be ready. In the mean time watch some Summer Games Done Quick and wonder if we'll ever see the OG King's Quest games be speedrun in such events.

Cmagus

A few years ago I would've told you 'Whenever Grace Chen felt like it'
Nowadays I'd say expect it to be up within the next 12 hours at the earliest.

I get that you're interested in playing the game and heck even I do! And I can't download the thing until 7ish hours from now when it unlocks on Steam ;3
Just give it a couple of hours and it'll be ready. In the mean time watch some Summer Games Done Quick and wonder if we'll ever see the OG King's Quest games be speedrun in such events.
Yeah I know and apparently what's happened is people who preordered got everything except the actual first episode. If you look at the game in the store it still says 9.99 and someone on Reddit bought it to test it out and it works fine.

I was just hoping it would be up because I work tonight and then I'm going out of town for a few days I was hoping to go through it this morning but I guess there is nothing to do but wait.

Strange how both Sierra and The Odd Gentlemen have not made any comment about the issue on PS4. I hope it fixes itself when the store updates later today

King's Quest V reserves a special moment in my childhood. The game was magical and made the world around me magical. Would that I could slink back to my childhood and spend forever late nights hunched over my computer and figure out the puzzles all over again.

I look forward to this title and will spend some time trying to remember what it was like to be a kid.

Sendero

Way, way too expensive.
And somehow its even more costly in Pesos, far beyond the regular conversion from dollar.

To give an idea how bad is this: Its among the top 10 most expensives games right now (no packages included) here, with the likes of GTA V, Arma 3 or Fallout 4. I mean, come on.

Guess will have to settle for upcoming Sale. But in the meantime, eagerly waiting for opinions about the 1st chapter. Hope its good.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
monitoring this thread closely. for the first time in my life, i actually have a gaming backlog (thanks for overstaying your welcome witcher!) and dont really want to add to it right now unless this is something special (i could also see myself forgetting about it entirely if i wait)

Sciz

Oh good, not only is there an OT, but it has a punny title.

Really hoping this turns out well. Nothing ever adequately replaced the series after it fell from grace, and certainly not after the genre's fall from prominence in general. I like what I've seen and heard so far, but that hasn't been much overall.

nikos

I don't believe I've ever played King's Quest, but this looks good. Will probably start with Episode 1 to see if I can get into it. Looking forward to some reviews as well.

inm8num2

Found an in-progress playthrough on YT and skipped around just to get a feel for the game. Production value looks very polished. Strong voice acting and plenty of dialogue with side characters.

Couldn't get much of a sense of interactivity/puzzles and didn't want to watch too much footage, but it seemed like there's a decent amount of exploration.

If this goes really well, maybe they'll do Space Quest next? I would not mind a proper new Space Quest Game.

I would like a new Laura Bow game, given the right team and the right management behind it.

Colonel's Bequest has aged very well, I think another roaring 20s murder mystery game with semi-randomized events and a few optional quests would be well received and work with a fairly modest budget. In the right hands.

mackattk

Looking forward to hear some feedback. I remember playing KQ6 from my childhood. I probably spent 20+ hours on it, but I don't think I ever got past the first part of the game.

RetroMG

My wife grew up on King's Quest. (And I did too, just to a far lesser extent.) She could not be more excited. (Although I bought it on Xbox, so she's sad that she has to wait an extra day.)

Way, way too expensive.
And somehow its even more costly in Pesos, far beyond the regular conversion from dollar.

To give an idea how bad is this: Its among the top 10 most expensives games right now (no packages included) here, with the likes of GTA V, Arma 3 or Fallout 4. I mean, come on.

Guess will have to settle for upcoming Sale. But in the meantime, eagerly waiting for opinions about the 1st chapter. Hope its good.

Are you talking about the whole game or just chapter 1? The whole game is $40 USD in the US.

I'd be game, though the creators did try to do a kickstarter for another adventure game, but think it failed. Who knows.

The not-SpaceQuest kickstarter succeeded, but development has been exceedingly rocky. Who knows if it'll ever get finished.

Colonel's Bequest has aged very well, I think another roaring 20s murder mystery game with semi-randomized events and a few optional quests would be well received and work with a fairly modest budget. In the right hands.

Totally agree with you. A modern take on Colonel's Bequest seems like a no-brainer recipe for a critically acclaimed and commercially successful indie game.

Karak

OK Youtube is taking forever to process this bastard so when it DOES go live its going to be at 360p for a bit

The Link to the review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD9cBSn66i4

I rated it a BUY

My thoughts:
The game is good, has some improvements for the genre, and uses those to elevate some moments in the game. It has about double the game-play time as other episodic content(at least for me) at around 4.5-5.5 hours, and most of that is adventuring as the puzzles are more quest-like than any of the past games.

Pros:
Movement
Music
Gameplay elements
Voice Acting

Cons:
It's safe.

Karak

Wow. 9.5 from Destructoid? That's incredible...I'd like to support the game, but then it's also episodic :/

I cover this in my review. Its basically the safest of the episodic games right up their with Telltales when it comes to if it will finish its story. I mean its backed by the largest backers and is scoring insanely well.

RPGCrazied

Karak better deliver! :p

Destructoid posted their review. I haven't read it yet, though. Just saw it pop up online, though. Spoiler: 9.5

OK Youtube is taking forever to process this bastard so when it DOES go live its going to be at 360p for a bit

The Link to the review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD9cBSn66i4

I rated it a BUY

My thoughts:
The game is good, has some improvements for the genre, and uses those to elevate some moments in the game. It has about double the game-play time as other episodic content(at least for me) at around 4.5-5.5 hours, and most of that is adventuring as the puzzles are more quest-like than any of the past games.

Pros:
Movement
Music
Gameplay elements
Voice Acting

Cons:
It's safe.

Alright buying. Sucks no cross buy, hate to ask but what does the PS3 run like? It has all my adventure games on it, I do have a PS4, but I'd rather play on PS3 if I can.

Meier

King's Quest and Quest for Glory were two of my favorite games as a kid. Sid Meier, Will Wright and Sierra games were my shit. That being said, I'll probably wait til this is on sale or entirely released to give it a shot. Liked what I saw on Geoff Keighley's broadcast during E3 though.

Top Bottom