• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

Game Informer - 8/10

So far, King's Quest is remarkable in its ability to call back to the classic design of '90s point-and-click adventures without succumbing to as many pitfalls. The combination of wacky character interactions, goofy logic puzzles, and heartfelt story beats has me eager to see what's in store in Chapter II. The team at The Odd Gentlemen has created one of the most endearing, true-to-form adventure games I've played in recent years.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fair enough. I'm busy with other things, but only skimmed and the 9.5 and 6.5 caught my eye. Still it looks very positive. I'm really surprised given the challenge of adapting a long-dead, but extremely beloved franchise paired with the release day embargo.

Maybe I'll pick it up digitally now and double dip a physical copy later.

The Polygon 6.5 score is mostly due to apparent tech issues on the Xbone causing absurd loadtimes and other minor warts that ripped them out of the experience. Some claim these issues are already fixed or just false, but its a 'he said, she said' situation right now. The rest of the review felt like it was reaching for negativity(again mostly surrounding the loadtimes flatlining the pacing) rather than arguing any real concern with the design.

Any ideas yet on which is the superior version? I want to get it on PC for old times sake but I also don't want an inferior version.

labx

Banned
FYI, on the PC and even on the console those loadscreens are not close to what is posted in this review. That is just out and out wrong...

Its Polygon man... They have to be "them."

watched your video review. Super cool man. Really well done.

Karak

Its Polygon man... They have to be "them."

I should have probably been less forceful and said "That is just out and out. Not what I have experienced or heard from other reviewers or from my own contact.

So it could be a console thing. Hell wouldn't be the first time.

Is anyone else reviewing the xbone version besides polygon? Is the loading issue specific to that console?

We played on Xbox One. The screen tearing and loading screens just feel like minor annoyances to me, and happened in very specific places. I was a little more bummed by textures not fully loading a couple of times, but again it wasn't significant enough for me it to really dampen my opinion.

xclk07

Doesn't look like any reviewers played on the PS4? And clearly we won't be getting any user reviews on that platform until later today. Curious if there were any minor annoyances on PS4 (vs PC).

georly

We played on Xbox One. The screen tearing and loading screens just feel like minor annoyances to me, and happened in very specific places. I was a little more bummed by textures not fully loading a couple of times, but again it wasn't significant enough for me it to really dampen my opinion.

Good to hear, I respect your opinion. Makes me wonder more about the polygon review. I guess how much that stuff bothers you is subjective, so it clearly bothered them by 3.5 points.

BlackRock

Controller on PC? That needs to be fixed ASAP. There's no reason the game shouldn't be perfectly fine using keyboard and mouse on PC. That it would take effort is not an acceptable excuse. Would anyone recommend that console players just use a keyboard and mouse since the controller controls suck? Of course not. Really hope this doesn't last long. I was getting excited to try this, too.

Sciz

Controller on PC? That needs to be fixed ASAP. There's no reason the game shouldn't be perfectly fine using keyboard and mouse on PC. That it would take effort is not an acceptable excuse. Would anyone recommend that console players just use a keyboard and mouse since the controller controls suck? Of course not. Really hope this doesn't last long. I was getting excited to try this, too.

Not even the first adventure game that plays better with a pad on PC, let alone PC games in general.

BlackRock

Not even the first adventure game that plays better with a pad on PC, let alone PC games in general.

That's the problem. Why are we second class citizens? Console gamers don't get this joy. It's not like this is even a hard problem to solve.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What's the benefit(s) to dishing out $40 for the whole game now versus buying one ep at a time at $10?

Is the price the same either way? That is, 4 chapters for 40 or 4 at 10 each?

If you buy each episode on its own you'll end up paying $10 more than you would from buying the complete collection. So, yeah, as the other person said you will also save some money.

RetroMG

I made a comment to my wife about possibly playing it on PC, but then recanted because of the issues that Windows 10 has with the DS4. My wife was utterly confused as to why we would be playing Kings Quest with a controller at all.

I didn't have the heart to tell her it was set up for a controller interface instead of KB/M

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is the price the same either way? That is, 4 chapters for 40 or 4 at 10 each?

It's 5 episodes. So you save $10 in the long-run and get an exclusive 'bonus' 6th epilogue chapter only for complete collection buyers(at least for free).

Blues1990

I have a question about the game: Where exactly does the game take place (chronologically)? Graham looks pretty young, from what I have seen in the flashback sequences.

RetroMG

I have a question about the game: Where exactly does the game take place (chronologically)? Graham looks pretty young, from what I have seen in the flashback sequences.

The framing device is Old Graham telling stories to his Granddaughter. The first episode takes place prior to KQ1. We don't know about the other chapters yet, but it looks like it spans through Graham's life.

I hope they leave the end open for more adventures. I've played all of five minutes and I am totally enraptured.

Karak

I want people post after the first 10 minutes what they thought of the animation and graphics. Doing the review it was hard not to spend 10 minutes on just his cape.

Sciz

That's the problem. Why are we second class citizens? Console gamers don't get this joy. It's not like this is even a hard problem to solve.

Console gamers also miss out on almost everything that doesn't play well on a controller. Some games just don't play well with KBM by virtue of their design, which includes these highly cinematic third person adventure games.

The game was designed from the ground up with a gamepad in mind. Not sure why that's a problem considering how easy it is to hook up a gamepad to your PC nowadays.

mauaus

Also waiting for an answer. Waiting to buy the full collection until its confirmed that people are safely playing.

I already bought it and it says i own the "season pass" but not the complete collection... this is BS thank God i have my invoice handy

If this is indeed heavily reminiscent of the old-school adventure games then I'm going to have to check it out. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

RetroMG

Had to force myself to stop playing because my wife will kill me if I finish the whole game without her. This game is fantastic.

RPGCrazied

Performance on PS3 could have been a lot worse, there is tearing though in some places not everywhere. I might double dip at some point, I'm having fun. I'm at
the part to find an eye of a beast for the tournament.

Vire

I can't believe this came out today, I was listening to the Giant Bombast and they said it was out and I was like what the fuh?

The last I heard about this thing was the announcement trailer at the award show. Way to go Activision, sending this to die.

I can't believe this came out today, I was listening to the Giant Bombast and they said it was out and I was like what the fuh?

The last I heard about this thing was the announcement trailer at the award show. Way to go Activision, sending this to die.

Eh? It certainly could have been marketed more, but it was at E3, they've done several trailers, and they announced the release date about a month ago. It's not as if they pushed it out there without notice.

Top Bottom