• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest |OT| Heir to Stay?

BlackRock

Looking forward to hear some feedback. I remember playing KQ6 from my childhood. I probably spent 20+ hours on it, but I don't think I ever got past the first part of the game.

KQ6 is a fantastic game. KQ2 holds the same place in my heart being the first adventure game (and first Sierra game) I ever played. It was amazing trying out all the things Graham could do. I learned to type playing that and subsequent adventure games.

I still think the Alexander games are the best in the series (KQ3 and KQ6). The use of magic really added beautifully to the puzzles.

This was probably what I got most excited about at PSX last year when it was revealed. So far the reviews look solid and I'm considering picking it up, but the one piece of information they aren't mentioning is the length of the first episode. $9.99 is a bit hefty compared to what else is out there right now so I'd be looking for a bit more than 1-2 hours at that price. If it's 4-5 per episode (probably a stretch), I'd probably go all in for the $39.99 season.

Karak

You've won my heart with the words, "Artistic Voltron."

About how long was this first episode? Sorry if you answered it in the review - I'm still watching.

5+

I mean that Artistic Voltron part. The games animation and digitally painted world is breathtaking.

This was probably what I got most excited about at PSX last year when it was revealed. So far the reviews look solid and I'm considering picking it up, but the one piece of information they aren't mentioning is the length of the first episode. $9.99 is a bit hefty compared to what else is out there right now so I'd be looking for a bit more than 1-2 hours at that price. If it's 4-5 per episode (probably a stretch), I'd probably go all in for the $39.99 season.
I did. Its 5+

Concerning length of the Game:
The game could be a bit longer or a bit shorter depending on how you go about some quests and if they line up perfectly or if you get some items before others, if you revist spots, if you talk to everyone. But I was over 5+

One of the best games this year is episodic and is ending by Sept/October ;)
I cover this in my review. Its basically the safest of the episodic games right up their with Telltales when it comes to if it will finish its story. I mean its backed by the largest backers and is scoring insanely well.
This may be so, but my issue with episodic games are twofold. One, I've been burned by games been very slow to come out, cough cough Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 2. Two, I'm not even a huge fan of the feeling of waiting for episodes to come out, because depending on the release schedule, it can begin to feel very disjointed.

I think I might buy it and then leave it on my system to wait for the package to finish coming out :p

RPGCrazied

Karak said its like 5 hours long. $9.99 is a great price for that long.

Karak

Karak said its like 5 hours long. $9.99 is a great price for that long.

Oh ya the price versus time element is skewed completely to the games credit. Additionally since you are you know..ADVENTURING and not doing typical Telltale stuff its great.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I rarely pay attention to Polygon and have barely visited the site, but they do make an interesting case regarding technical issues. Screen tearing and constant loading could really drag this experience down if it is as prevalent as they comment about in the review.

I perked up when I read that the puzzles and 'world wandering' for inventory items takes up a majority of the 5-6 hour gametime. Can see younger/less patient gamers getting really annoyed by it as they describe in the roundtable review discussion though, especially with the loadtimes. :(

georly

Wellp, the reviews so far seem to make me think it at least has potential and probably won't regret my purchase. Looking forward to installing it tonight and maybe playing it tomorrow or this weekend. Busy life sucks sometimes ;_;

Also, I got my pin, it's gorgeous:

CLA2kJsUAAA-ZA-.jpg

"much more involved than a Telltale game" is all I needed to hear.

Exactly. Pretty excited.

Karak

Wellp, the reviews so far seem to make me think it at least has potential and probably won't regret my purchase. Looking forward to installing it tonight and maybe playing it tomorrow or this weekend. Busy life sucks sometimes ;_;

Also, I got my pin, it's gorgeous:

Exactly. Pretty excited.

And a very good descriptor.

BlackRock

OK Youtube is taking forever to process this bastard so when it DOES go live its going to be at 360p for a bit

The Link to the review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD9cBSn66i4

I rated it a BUY

You talked me into it. Thanks for the review. I'm not at all liking some of the character designs (KQ could be silly, but not goofy and certainly not bizarre), but it otherwise looks pretty good, actually. I'm glad they played it safe rather than trying to put their own mark on the series and screw it all up. I wouldn't have minded crazy puzzles, though. Those are part of the old school Sierra/LucasArts adventure game charm!

Karak

You talked me into it. Thanks for the review. I'm not at all liking some of the character designs (KQ could be silly, but not goofy and certainly not bizarre), but it otherwise looks pretty good, actually. I'm glad they played it safe rather than trying to put their own mark on the series and screw it all up. I wouldn't have minded crazy puzzles, though. Those are part of the old school Sierra/LucasArts adventure game charm!

You bet man. I agree some of the character designs plus the oddly rotoscope looking bits can at first seem odd. I loved it overall but there is some nightmare fuel in there.

I saw a character death and a mocking pun in one of the reviews.

That's pretty much all I needed, thanks!

These happen throughout and there are a ton. Some fell flat for me though.

RPGCrazied

Why is this not cross buy? I really can't make a decision over PS3 and PS4 versions. I can live with 720p only on PS3, heck my TV is only 720p. lol

I need to know how it runs on it though before buying.

Sinistral

Any information regarding the subsequent episodes? I really want to continue Life is Strange, play Tales of Borderlands but these are incomplete stories at this time, and by the time a new episode comes out I forget what happened previously. So I've decided to only buy complete seasons.

wouwie

There seem to be a lot of very positive reviews on this one (i'm on mobile so i can't link but see The Odd Gentlemen's twitter for some more reviews). I'm buying the season pass tomorrow or will pre-order tonight. I love adventure games.

Any information regarding the subsequent episodes? I really want to continue Life is Strange, play Tales of Borderlands but these are incomplete stories at this time, and by the time a new episode comes out I forget what happened previously. So I've decided to only buy complete seasons.

As far as I know, all that's been said is from this interview:

JG: Do you have a release timeframe or schedule down?

MK: Yeah, we’re not announcing it yet. We are already working on Chapter 2. This one is basically done and we are working on some finishing touches on it. You’re not going to have to wait a long time.

JG: You aren’t going to have to wait a year or something like that?

MK: I mean, this is our first game that we have done like this, but you aren’t going to be waiting a year at all. It is going to get crazy, but you won’t be waiting a year. Especially for this game, because there is so much detail in it, you don’t want it to be like Battlestar Galactica where you forgot everything by the time the new season came out. That’s why they did the “Last time on Battlestar Galactica…” and it was like ten minutes long. We will probably need to do a little bit of that, like “Last time on King’s Quest,” but the schedule we are currently rolling with is one that everyone who likes the game will be very happy with. We are definitely a small group and shipping on five platforms is ridiculous for us.

georly

Without spoiling too much... do the events in this game refer to the actual adventures from the original ~7 king's quest games? Is this a retelling of sorts, or a prequel, or... how does it fit in to the timeline?

I know it's future graham retelling of his past, but is the retelling stuff we've played before?

Karak

Without spoiling too much... do the events in this game refer to the actual adventures from the original ~7 king's quest games? Is this a retelling of sorts, or a prequel, or... how does it fit in to the timeline?

I know it's future graham retelling of his past, but is the retelling stuff we've played before?

Yes. But it is indeed a reimagininationing lol

Sciz

New stories that fit into the gaps in the original series. Chapter 1 here takes place pre-KQ1, for example, but later chapters will progressively go further down the timeline.

Didn't know about that gorgeous pin until today, FFFFFUUUUU

Can't wait to get home to play, hope the PS4 version is good to go by then.

Karak

New stories that fit into the gaps in the original series. Chapter 1 here takes place pre-KQ1, for example, but later chapters will progressively go further down the timeline.

And changes the originals as well.

georly

And changes the originals as well.

I mean, the original was pretty loose. You just walk into a cave with a water bucket and douse a dragon and get a mirror. I assume this one is a bit more elaborate than that.
Didn't know about that gorgeous pin until today, FFFFFUUUUU

Can't wait to get home to play, hope the PS4 version is good to go by then.

Tried to get it to first post so people might see it yesterday before it was too late. My gamestop got like 6 pins (6 pins in a pack, it looked like) and only had 2 preorders. Maybe call up your gamestop see if they have any extras they'd give you if you buy it there? You just buy the code, afaik.

inm8num2

PC World - King's Quest: A Knight to Remember review: An old classic gets a terrific new start

It’s beautiful, it’s funny, it’s touching. I’m loving King’s Quest, as far as this first episode is concerned. I hope it can nail the same quality for all five parts—and that the episodic release schedule doesn’t drag too much. It’s worth noting that A Knight to Remember is as long or longer than the largest Telltale episodes, especially if you’re (like me) prone to hunting down every last silly line of dialogue.

I have a few quibbles—the mouse/keyboard controls are a bit awkward (Xbox controller recommended), some of the text is misaligned, cutscenes are unskippable and some checkpoints are placed at the worst possible moment prior to a lengthy cinematic—but in general this is a grand start to what I hope is a grand adventure. Long live the King.

5+

I did. Its 5+

Concerning length of the Game:
The game could be a bit longer or a bit shorter depending on how you go about some quests and if they line up perfectly or if you get some items before others, if you revist spots, if you talk to everyone. But I was over 5+

Thanks so much for covering this in your review. I haven't had the chance to watch it yet but I look forward to it later this evening!

Cleve

Wow, talk about divergent reviews. I usually relate well to Chris Carter though, so I'll definitely give this a shot despite my anxieties about it.

Is there any word of a physical release when all the episodes release?

Karak

Wow, talk about divergent reviews. I usually relate well to Chris Carter though, so I'll definitely give this a shot despite my anxieties about it.

Is there any word of a physical release when all the episodes release?

...Super high reviews but 1 single oddity...

Thanks so much for covering this in your review. I haven't had the chance to watch it yet but I look forward to it later this evening!
You bet man

Polygon - No surprise, just a bunch of bummers working there that are researching possible injustice in Q-Bert.

Angry Centaur Gaming - Who the fuck is that?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I'm assuming PC is the SKU to go for (between PS4 and PC) due to faster loading times?

The port is solid? No microstuttering or other crappy PC things?

Cleve

...Super high reviews but 1 single oddity...

Fair enough. I'm busy with other things, but only skimmed and the 9.5 and 6.5 caught my eye. Still it looks very positive. I'm really surprised given the challenge of adapting a long-dead, but extremely beloved franchise paired with the release day embargo.

Maybe I'll pick it up digitally now and double dip a physical copy later.

Karak

Fair enough. I'm busy with other things, but only skimmed and the 9.5 and 6.5 caught my eye. Still it looks very positive. I'm really surprised given the challenge of adapting a long-dead, but extremely beloved franchise paired with the release day embargo.

Maybe I'll pick it up digitally now and double dip a physical copy later.

No worries. If it matters I didn't hear many of the complaints that Poly had from others reviewing the game. At least not to such an almost freakish extent. But that remains to be seen as hopefully more reviews come out.

Top Bottom