• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase Interview: He wants FFXII on Vita, FFX/X-2 HD tricky to port, Jp vs West games

nampad

Hope FF XII on Vita works out. Like with Persona 4, I missed it because I moved on to PS3. It looks like one of the more interesting FF games to me and right now I can only finish JRPGs on handheld.

AmanoBuff

Saying that it is hard to play the PS2 games on modern hardware is false. They run well in PCSX2.

I'm sure he's not including emulators in that statement.

In any case, I feel fairly confident that the answer was not completely honest. The larger reason they are remaking these PS2 games and not FF7 is because it requires significantly less time and money to do so.

My (huge) guess is that having VII, VIII and IX available via PSN has been both a blessing and a curse. These games rank consistently among the top downloaded ones on the store, so I'm pretty sure the fact that so many people are playing those games right now on current-gen hardware somewhat discourages SE to remake them.

Wow, this is a great interview. Thanks, AB.

Kitase discussing one of his games (generally speaking) and Kitase discussing one of Toriyama's is like night and day.

Noticed that, too. He seemed fairly passionate discussing these various questions. He had some great responses.
He's probably just happy he gets a break from shilling Toriyama's dreck. Hopefully for the last time with LR.

RedSwirl

Nomura's last question actually does touch upon a weird thing about video game design cultures. It almost literally is Japan vs the rest of the world. The only other really distinct game culture is probably Eastern Europe (unless you count Korean MMOs and the obscure Chinese RPG industry), and most Eastern European games don't get console versions, much less Japanese versions.

According to wiki though, if someone wanted to throw examples at Nomura, the following Eastern European games actually do have Japanese versions:
The STALKER series
Metro 2033
The Witcher 2

It'd be interesting seeing Japanese opinions on TW2.

Oddly, people have also told me Grand Theft Auto is actually very much rooted specifically in British game design. I really don't know much about that though.

Zarx

This is the only one I can think of, unfortunately. Does Fable count? The topic makes me wish I knew more about EuroRPGs.

UK is really more like America than the rest of Europe

Other Euro RPGs would be things like
Divinity
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (some would argue it's not really an RPG)
Legend of Grimrock
Mount & Blade
Two Worlds
Sacred
The Dark Eye
Krater
King's Bounty

Darmik

Saying that it is hard to play the PS2 games on modern hardware is false. They run well in PCSX2.

Your PC is not the same as a PS3 and Vita. A lot of it depends on how the game was developed as well. Some PS2 games have issues running on PS3 hardware. It's better they take their time with it instead of releasing a shoddy release.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Would I buy a Vita for FFXII? I wonder. I'd love to play that game again (if it was the Zodiac version), but I dunno if I'd be up to working through it for that many hours on my TV. Handheld though...

OnFire331

This is actually a surprisingly good interview, I was left agape when he said this:

Yoshinori Kitase said:
I feel that these games have an ineffable something in them which seems to have been forgotten by a lot of modern games and so paradoxically they can feel fresh and different because of that.

It's a pretty grounded interview coming from the producer of the XIII games. Also FFXII HD needs to happen. Some of the vistas are incredibly good-looking even now, I'd like to see how they look in HD. And this time they'll have the space for uncompressed audio (at least on PS3).

How so?

1 and 2 = PS3 (US), Vita
3 remake = Vita
4 = Vita (remake)
5 = PS3, Vita (EU)
6 = PS3, Vita
7 = PS3, Vita
8= PS3, Vita
9= PS3, Vita

Fixed. The PS1 version of FFIV isn't available on any store as far as I'm aware (I didn't check the JPN one though), so it's not compatible with PS3.

The other changes are the weird differences between the US and PALand. We don't have the PS1 versions of FF1 or 2 but we do have the PSP versions, so we can only play those games on the Vita. But we do have a Vita compatible version of FFV, so we can play FF1-9 all on Vita.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear his ideas on game styles. I agree with him that west European games are pretty much indistinguishable from US games, though I don't think that's always been the case, just something that happened with all the homogenising over the last 15 years or so. More recently East European developers have managed to create their own style, though I also fear that that will also be watered down eventually, as more of them look for the ever fabled "mainstream success".

Oh and I'd buy the shit out of FFXII Vita.

Aeneas

You guys who didn't give 12 a fair shot are missing out. Amazing game, my favorite ps2 FF.

Would LOVE a hd version on vita.

Shinta

Banned
He said the same thing to me about FF12 at E3. Actions, not words Kitase.

I doubt they'll announce it before they get X and X-2 out the door. And if we're talking about actions, the fans can step up and support X and X-2 on Vita if they want to see HD remakes continue on portable systems.

Money speaks a lot louder than words on a forum. If both games bomb on Vita, I don't know why anyone expects them to put out XII HD on it.

As for his observations about the term JRPG, it's pretty much spot on. I personally don't like the term and find that its only used in a derogatory sense, and is purposely manipulated to shit on Japanese games. You see people try and argue that Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls are actually WRPGs, which is absurd. If it means RPG made in Japan, then yes, it also includes modern games that aren't anime style with 16 bit aesthetics. People try and segment these games out of the label because they want JRPG to be synonymous with outdated design, when that isn't the case. Both Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls blow away anything Skyrim is doing.

However, I could live with people using the term JRPG if they also started using nation-based terms for all the other games, instead of grouping them all into "western." That's basically what he's saying. Put "JPRG" up against any other single nation, and it comes out pretty damn favorably in a competition. Put it up against the entire rest of the world and it's just unfair, and it becomes clear that people only use the term in a derogatory sense.

doemaaan

Not much incentive for me to re-play FF12, unless its the Zodiac version. And remake that shit like you did with FF10/10-2. Actually wait, remake the game entirely with PS3 graphics. A FF12 that looks like FF13, with the Zodiac version would make me very, very happy.

Too bad that will never happen. Perfect, now I've gone and made myself all sour.

Carbonox

Final Fantasy XII HD would be the final (along with Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix) HD game I want before I bid farewell to the current generation entirely. Providing it would come out on the PS3 of course.

Would be nice to get FFX/X-2 HD first though. :lol Damn Squeenix.

I'm working on removing my PSOne and PS2 physical collection and replacing them with the digital/HD versions on the PS3 so I not only have the space on my bookcase but so it's easier to manage just a PS3 and PS4. FFXII would the icing on the cake.

Velcro Fly

XII on Vita would be amazing. Another awesome PS2 RPG in the palm of my hand.

Will do my part by buying X and X-2 for Vita. Would buy XII as well even though I still own copies of all three games on my PS2. Something about an amazing console game put on a handheld is too strong a temptation to resist.

Shahed

Would much rather they forgo the Vita/PS3 version and go all in on PS4, but i'll take what I can get.

Plan on getting the PS3 version of FFX/X-2 HD, the Vita version of FFX and ignoring FFX-2. Unless they do some crazy bundle deal or something

Luthos

Hopefully he means it would be on both Vita and PS3 (or PS4).

I'm not a big portable gamer, and would be really bummed if they did a FFXII HD International port on only the Vita.

Hopefully he means it would be on both Vita and PS3 (or PS4).

I'm not a big portable gamer, and would be really bummed if they did a FFXII HD International port on only the Vita.

I totally agree with you, as I'm not a big portable gamer myself. Prefer it on my big screen. It very well could depend on how well the PS3 FFX sells in comparison to the Vita version.

Although Vita TV would be a possible option if indeed it only came to Vita, but obviously would prefer a proper console HD remaster.

luca1980

Banned
FFXII on vita?
Day one ONLY with Matsuno involved.
I do not trust them and as it is nowdays FF it's half a Matsuno game.

A Vagrant Story vita port would be better with refined gameplay also from Matsuno.

I'm still waiting for FFV on my Vita...
What's up with that? It's on the EU store.
And I don't like that remake style...
(for more screens go to: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/20/final-fantasy-v-gets-dimensions-style-make-over-for-ios-and-android/)

image_thumb61.png

ffvio1_thumb.jpg

Seems like they want final fantasy everywhere suddenly again. I just want a FF6 + FF7 + FF9 remakes. HD. PC. 4k resolution supported so in a couple years I can replay them at 4k res.

Socky

FFXII on Vita = perfection.gif

DO.IT.

The other question is a good one. Some excellent suggestions in the thread, although Timesplitters is surely a shoe-in for a quintessentially British series. The Total War series is another great British candidate. Maybe he should look more towards the indie end of the spectrum though - Frozen Synapse, Thomas Was Alone, Dear Esther and Gunpoint are all British too, to mention a few.

Vashetti

Banned
XII:IZJS on Vita would be lovely. But not just for the Vita, I'd need a PS4 version too.

PS4 would allow native 1080p and multiple AA.

Release both with cross-saves and you're onto a winner.

While I despised the story in FFXII, probably one of the worst ever in a FF game, I loved the Gambit system dynamic and the loot systems. It also was a departure from FFX where you actually had, atleast sort of, an overworld map to explore. You could atleast get the feeling of exploration from the title, unlike FFX.

But man, the story was just so generic and ... boring, with 0 character development it was hard to finish the game despite the great systems in place for it.

I would love to replay though on my Vita. Hell I want to play everything on my Vita, which is why I am going to be remote playing the shit out of all my PS4 games.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Quick everyone buy 10 copies of X HD! Each on the Vita and PS3. We have to make this happen lol.

XII is actually the only FF I haven't played at all (except the MMOs), whereas I've at least played the opening segments of the rest.

Famassu

He said the same thing to me about FF12 at E3. Actions, not words Kitase.
They aren't even done working on FFX | X-2 and they probably need to see if the Vita version will move more than a thousand copies before they do anything in regards to FFXII HD and its possible Vita port.

You keep complaining they announce things too early and now want them to confirm FFXII HD before they are even done with the earlier game in the series.

Top Bottom