• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase Interview: He wants FFXII on Vita, FFX/X-2 HD tricky to port, Jp vs West games

kick51

Banned
why do we even entertain their words as if they might become reality

The execs will make it an FFXII based candy crush clone with shitty super-deformed 3D models and IAP.

When I think of European games, first thing that comes to mind is adventure games like The Longest Journey and Syberia. I know American studios have a long history with that genre but Europeans seem to have kept with it longer.

I'd love FFXII HD. Tried it on an emulator, but it had these glitchy flickering shadows that I couldn't get rid of even after trying lots of settings. Really distracting.

Curufinwe

I own X-2 but never played it, and there is such a lack of quality RPGs on the Vita right now. So I might grab the Vita version next year.

Cornbread78

Oh my, X, X-2 and XII on my VITA in HD, with trophies? Too good to be true.... why does he tease us so, I mean, we still don;t even have a realease date, or a confirmation of a physical release of X and X-2..

Nah, skip XII on the Vita, it sucks. Make an entirely new FF as a Vita exclusive instead.

Dude, have you been paying attention to SE? This cannot and will not be done. Even if they tried, it would be 2016 at least...

Meier

I never finished 12 since I sold my PS2 thinking I'd be able to finish it on the PS3. :( I was trying to finish all the hunts first.. still don't even know how it ends. Kinda sad since it just might be my favorite FF game.

RedSwirl

What is the possibility of a PS4 version? As I understand it these HD remasters are still only running in 720p. If that's true, a PS4 version would allow for 1080p.

Rocky

Banned
Fixed. The PS1 version of FFIV isn't available on any store as far as I'm aware (I didn't check the JPN one though), so it's not compatible with PS3.

The other changes are the weird differences between the US and PALand. We don't have the PS1 versions of FF1 or 2 but we do have the PSP versions, so we can only play those games on the Vita. But we do have a Vita compatible version of FFV, so we can play FF1-9 all on Vita.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear his ideas on game styles. I agree with him that west European games are pretty much indistinguishable from US games, though I don't think that's always been the case, just something that happened with all the homogenising over the last 15 years or so. More recently East European developers have managed to create their own style, though I also fear that that will also be watered down eventually, as more of them look for the ever fabled "mainstream success".

Oh and I'd buy the shit out of FFXII Vita.

Uh, nope. The disc version of FFIV works just fine in the PS3, any model.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Isn't FFXII the one that basically played itself? That'd be perfect for Vita. Watch football and play FF12.

Red Mage

FFXII on VIta? AND HD? Make it happen Square or your dead to me (implying as though they aren't already dead to me).

And Zodiac Job System... I want it, so much... Please do this!

Isn't FFXII the one that basically played itself? That'd be perfect for Vita. Watch football and play FF12.

If you chose to do so. I wonder why I always hear people talk about this game having it, but DA:O has pretty much the same thing (except vastly inferior) and no one ever complains. If you've played enough RPGs in the past with companion AI, you'll know why Gambits/Tactics are awesome.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure I'd buy a remaster since I recently imported the International version. Patch + PCSX2 works well enough for me. Maybe on PS3/PS4/PC/WiiU and if they make further improvements than just porting. Like making each area seemless.

It's put up or shut up for current vita owners. Buy those HD ports and they'll make more. I wonder if P4G numbers (300k in japan) is enough for them. Probably not.

It's put up or shut up for current vita owners. Buy those HD ports and they'll make more. I wonder if P4G numbers (300k in japan) is enough for them. Probably not.

I agree. I have always wondered how people can complain about " NO GAMEZ! " and then when a great game hits, the sale through is maybe 5% of the install base.

Doesn't make sense.

Is there a million seller on the Vita yet?

Red Mage

I'm still debating on which to get first: 360, VITA, or Wii U, but I plan on getting X HD for Vita. Not X-2 though, they can keep that piece of crap.

>= |

I bought my DS copy of Chrono Trigger, I bought it on the Wii VC and I bought it on PSN but do we have a new Chrono game coming? No! Also I bought Chrono Cross on the PS1 (new from Amazon) and I bought it on PSN.

I hate this "buy it if you want more" crap.

Nerokis

Wow, a Kitase interview that's actually really interesting! It feels like it's been awhile.

As excited as I am for X/X-2 HD, I think XII demands a remastering much more. I've actually been tempted to go through it again using component cables this time, but an HD remaster that happens to also be the IZJS edition sounds amazing.

Elios83

I'm going to buy just FFX for Vita although I didn't like FFX a lot back then. I missed the world map coming out of the Psone FFs, thought that the story ended up being disappointing once the whole
it's a dream
thing was uncovered and the game hasn't a strong bad guy to keep things exciting. Seymour is a weak character and Sin doesn't even count.
But after 12 years it's good to enjoy the good moments of the game (fortunately there are many) again with better graphics and the great score as well. Also playing other old games now that I'm older I've noticed that often I can appreciate certaing things much more, actually I notice a lot of things and small details that previously I just didn't care about. So I'm curious to experience the game again.
With that being said I want FFXII HD much more than FFX :D I really hope it happens after X.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They aren't even done working on FFX | X-2 and they probably need to see if the Vita version will move more than a thousand copies before they do anything in regards to FFXII HD and its possible Vita port.

You keep complaining they announce things too early and now want them to confirm FFXII HD before they are even done with the earlier game in the series.

FFX HD should have been out ages ago. There's no excuse really - they should have outsourced it to Hexadrive and we'd likely have seen it by now. FF12 should already been announced as well. These are PS2 remasters we're talking about, not full-fledged new games. There's no excuse as to why FFX HD took longer than the original PS2 game to realize. None.

If they make an HD port of XII then, truly, all will be forgotten. Especially those mobile and social games.

Do it, Square Enix, and redeem yourself!

FFXII International for Vita for US audiences would be a personal killer app if I didn't have a Vita already. Right on, do it Kitase!

It absolutely would. It is the remake I want more than anything!

I am going to buy an egregious amount of copies of FFXHD

I remember hyping FFXII to heavens, like "this is going to be my favorite RPG of all time."

The first part of the game is fantastic, I couldn't stop playing it. But then the second and final part is just awful, huge dungeons, not many story sequences... Balthier becoming a stupid character out of nowhere didn't help either.

Fran slayed from beginning to end though.

Brandson

Although not an RPG, Lionhead's Black and White, and earlier Bullfrog games all had a distinctly European game design vibe to them too. There were a number of early to mid-90's European rpgs that also had a very European feel to them, although I can't remember the names right now.

Aside from art style, or bugs, for me most European games are most identifiable with being totally unapologetic in leading the player character to failure. At least in moderately older European games, there doesn't seem to be much of a resistance to letting you die or end up in an unwinnable set of circumstances often. And there's often no fanfare or hand-holding about them (Fable being a big exception to that, obviously). So I would say the European style of game associates some value to the experience of failing and general misery.

This was a much more common feeling in games from 20 years ago than it is today. Perhaps due to the commercial realities of game development, European and North American development have converged somewhat on a type of game experience where player failure is to be avoided at all costs. That's unfortunate.

Neff

I will straight up, no questions asked, buy a Vita for XII HD.

Although I'd be pretty pissed off if they announced it for PS3/4 afterward.

I see there was a kind of nod there to emulation. Final Fantasy VII and VIII have PC versions, but IX doesn't. Nor does X, but it does require a moderately powerful PC to run the games via emulator. Mostly, a decent CPU. Pretty much any computer worthy of running Final Fantasy XIV would be good for Final Fantasy X. Final Fantasy X-2 is actually a little more demanding than Final Fantasy XIV on PCSX2 for flawless gameplay, though.

He also stressed that Square Enix games are a multiple system franchise. And yet, the remakes are only coming to Sony system. The Wii U may not be a popular system, but the 3DS is. What is stopping them from releasing the game on on the 3DS or Wii U? The Wii U is at least more popular than the PS Vita.

I would really like it if Square Enix would release these games for Nintendo system and the PC. With emulators, the games would be demanding. But even in HD, I think that even some modern, low end laptops wouldn't have a problem loading the game in max settings. In fact, the options of the PC make a lot of the point of an HD remake unnecessary outside of assets. You can play the game at low or high settings.

And the if the PlayStation 3 can run the HD version of this game just fine, there's no reason the Wii U wouldn't be able to. And I know that the 3DS is weaker than the Vita, but it should at least have no problems running the game. The 3DS had no problems running Tales of the Abyss, which pushed the hardware of the PlayStation 2.

I don't understand their exclusivity to Sony hardware for this game. Logically, it should seem like, as they're doing more than just a port, that the best use of assets would be to put them on multiple systems.

FFX HD should have been out ages ago. There's no excuse really - they should have outsourced it to Hexadrive and we'd likely have seen it by now. FF12 should already been announced as well. These are PS2 remasters we're talking about, not full-fledged new games. There's no excuse as to why FFX HD took longer than the original PS2 game to realize. None.
Yea darn tooting, couldn't say it better myself.

I seriously can't believe this may happen.

I will buy the fuck outta FFX if it helps this get made, and I don't even care for X.

CamHostage

Great to hear that Square's designers are still hot on Vita, I was worried when there was talk that Vita was what delayed the FFX/FFX-2 ports for so long, and got doubly-worried when the Kingdom Hearts HD remix came out only on PS3. (They also put nothing behind the Vita at TGS... although unless you have a Japanese phone plan, this year wasn't a great Square Enix TGS for any platform.)

My experience of the game was that you could let it play itself when fighting enemies significantly weaker than your party, but you had to take a more active role with bosses and enemies in areas you're exploring for the first time. Maybe it's different if you grind a lot and end up overleved or something, but I was never bored with the game.

Top Bottom