• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase Interview: He wants FFXII on Vita, FFX/X-2 HD tricky to port, Jp vs West games

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I see there was a kind of nod there to emulation. Final Fantasy VII and VIII have PC versions, but IX doesn't. Nor does X, but it does require a moderately powerful PC to run the games via emulator. Mostly, a decent CPU. Pretty much any computer worthy of running Final Fantasy XIV would be good for Final Fantasy X. Final Fantasy X-2 is actually a little more demanding than Final Fantasy XIV on PCSX2 for flawless gameplay, though.

He also stressed that Square Enix games are a multiple system franchise. And yet, the remakes are only coming to Sony system. The Wii U may not be a popular system, but the 3DS is. What is stopping them from releasing the game on on the 3DS or Wii U? The Wii U is at least more popular than the PS Vita.

I would really like it if Square Enix would release these games for Nintendo system and the PC. With emulators, the games would be demanding. But even in HD, I think that even some modern, low end laptops wouldn't have a problem loading the game in max settings. In fact, the options of the PC make a lot of the point of an HD remake unnecessary outside of assets. You can play the game at low or high settings.

And the if the PlayStation 3 can run the HD version of this game just fine, there's no reason the Wii U wouldn't be able to. And I know that the 3DS is weaker than the Vita, but it should at least have no problems running the game. The 3DS had no problems running Tales of the Abyss, which pushed the hardware of the PlayStation 2.

I don't understand their exclusivity to Sony hardware for this game. Logically, it should seem like, as they're doing more than just a port, that the best use of assets would be to put them on multiple systems.

Maybe... just maybe... did you consider that Sony might have been the ones to push Square into doing these remasters to begin with?

HeelPower

um..no.I want XII on PS4/3 if possible...It would suck so much if its vita only. Please understand SE.I want this on the silver screen.Plus the game deserves the best treatment it can possibly get. plz SE.

Elios83

um..no.I want XII on PS4/3 if possible...It would suck so much if its vita only. Please understand SE.I want this on the silver screen.Plus the game deserves the best treatment it can possibly get. plz SE.

It won't be Vita only of course. Vita might even be totally dead by the time they decide what to do ahaha :D
Kitase said Vita because he's probably most excited in the idea of being able to play the game on portable platform with better graphics compared to a home console.

Skyzard

Banned
Yes please, my copy is still sealed, even 13, I was looking forward to it st the time but ps3 and rpgs just isn't convenient for me anymore. Vita version? You knows it.

HeelPower

It won't be Vita only of course. Vita might even be totally dead by the time they decide what to do ahaha :D
Kitase said Vita because he's probably most excited in the idea of being able to play the game on portable platform with better graphics compared to a home console.

There will be a painful wait till XV is released.We NEED dat XII remaster.I can't imagine how great XII on PS4 will be.A remaster ala wind waker is a must. I need it in my veins :v not much of a portable person tbh

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's nice to want things Kitase. I'd like you to make games again too but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

AmanoBuff

What is the possibility of a PS4 version? As I understand it these HD remasters are still only running in 720p. If that's true, a PS4 version would allow for 1080p.

I am also wondering about this. Development for PS4/Vita seems to be somewhat related, so perhaps it is a possibility. Even more so if you consider the PS3 will be an ancient console by the time FFXII HD (if it happens) comes out.

FFX HD should have been out ages ago. There's no excuse really - they should have outsourced it to Hexadrive and we'd likely have seen it by now. FF12 should already been announced as well. These are PS2 remasters we're talking about, not full-fledged new games. There's no excuse as to why FFX HD took longer than the original PS2 game to realize. None.

Perhaps Vita development took more than expected? For me though, the biggest mistake SE made with these ports was (as usual) to announce them way too early.

If they make an HD port of XII then, truly, all will be forgotten. Especially those mobile and social games.

Do it, Square Enix, and redeem yourself!

I'm not sure if I would forgive them.

If on top of FFXII HD they also bring, Type-0 and FFV and VI to the Vita or consoles though...

It absolutely would. It is the remake I want more than anything!

I am going to buy an egregious amount of copies of FFXHD

Me too! I was planning on getting the PS3 physical copy and Vita physical and digital versions of the US sku of the game. And they have to come up with that gorgeous Vita Twin Pack. If we don't get the same one here, I'll also get that from Japan!

-snip-

He also stressed that Square Enix games are a multiple system franchise. And yet, the remakes are only coming to Sony system. The Wii U may not be a popular system, but the 3DS is. What is stopping them from releasing the game on on the 3DS or Wii U? The Wii U is at least more popular than the PS Vita.

Not in Japan is hardware sales are any indication. And I'm not too sure WiiU is more popular than Vita here or in Europe since we don't have solid sales numbers.

I would really like it if Square Enix would release these games for Nintendo system and the PC. With emulators, the games would be demanding. But even in HD, I think that even some modern, low end laptops wouldn't have a problem loading the game in max settings. In fact, the options of the PC make a lot of the point of an HD remake unnecessary outside of assets. You can play the game at low or high settings.

And the if the PlayStation 3 can run the HD version of this game just fine, there's no reason the Wii U wouldn't be able to. And I know that the 3DS is weaker than the Vita, but it should at least have no problems running the game. The 3DS had no problems running Tales of the Abyss, which pushed the hardware of the PlayStation 2.

I don't understand their exclusivity to Sony hardware for this game. Logically, it should seem like, as they're doing more than just a port, that the best use of assets would be to put them on multiple systems.

They seems to be abandoning exclusivity for their latest releases, like FFXIII and FFV. They even hinted that they might bring FFV to PCs.

As for the rest, besides FFVII and FFVIII on PCs, SE has kept their entries from VII through FFXII exclusively to PlayStation systems. Not sure if there is some kind of deal or if porting to other hardware is a pain, but the situation doesn't seem like changing.

Besides, SE knows FF fans are on PS consoles, so perhaps even if porting to other consoles is not that complicated, it might not be worth it for SE to port these games to other consoles with significantly less dedicated fan base.

Just my guess.

jimmypython

I see there was a kind of nod there to emulation. Final Fantasy VII and VIII have PC versions, but IX doesn't. Nor does X, but it does require a moderately powerful PC to run the games via emulator. Mostly, a decent CPU. Pretty much any computer worthy of running Final Fantasy XIV would be good for Final Fantasy X. Final Fantasy X-2 is actually a little more demanding than Final Fantasy XIV on PCSX2 for flawless gameplay, though.

Well, SE does Dragon Quest ONLY for Nintendo systems on the console market. Same logic goes to DQX. If they do a version for WiiU, why wouldn't they do one for PS3, which is way more popular than WiiU for now.

At least FF has gone multi-platforms with FF13/15.

Perkel

Banned
This is the only one I can think of, unfortunately. Does Fable count? The topic makes me wish I knew more about EuroRPGs.

Actually europe is devided into two camps now with own personality.

Western europe standard
And eastern europe janky but ambicious

Aurizen

any guess on a US release of FFX HD? I called christmas week but that was initially a guess of a worldwide release... I guess 2nd week of January..

Well, SE does Dragon Quest ONLY for Nintendo systems on the console market. Same logic goes to DQX. If they do a version for WiiU, why wouldn't they do one for PS3, which is way more popular than WiiU for now.

At least FF has gone multi-platforms with FF13/15.

DQ is not exclusive to Nintendo hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if DQX ended up on ps3 or ps4 eventually.

Converting ps2 games to ps3 is probably simpler than porting to Wii U. They would also have to find ways to use the second screen, which takes time and money. And SE doesn't like spending money these days. And there isn't much of a market on the Wii U to begin with...

RaikuHebi

Banned
Nah, skip XII on the Vita, it sucks. Make an entirely new FF as a Vita exclusive instead.
Dude, have you been paying attention to SE? This cannot and will not be done. Even if they tried, it would be 2016 at least...
No. 2020 at the earliest after it gets renamed to Final Fantasy XVI and gets moved to the Vita successor.

And SE doesn't like spending money these days.
Oh they love spending it alright, just on dumb shit.

Ravage

"Recently I get a lot of questions that treat the term “J-RPG” in both positive and negative lights. Whether the term is used for better or worse, I feel that the fact that it recognises these games as being distinctly “Japanese” can only be a good thing. I often hear the term “Western style” being used as a comparison or counterpoint to “Japanese style” but am fascinated by this comparison and would really like to ask if there is a distinct “British style” or “European style” or not?"

Well said Kitase, i hope you'll remember that in years to come. And for god's sake, please hurry up with FFXII IZJS HD.

Swarna

If this has the international job system and some minor tweaks it would be massive for me. I had far more fun with this than I did with Xenoblade Chronicles, that's for sure.

Well as I pointed out, J-PSN does have the Archives version available.

Yeah I read your post but I have no idea which versions are available on the JPSN, so can't really comment. Maybe you could edit my edited list with the JPN releases added?

Not in Japan is hardware sales are any indication. And I'm not too sure WiiU is more popular than Vita here or in Europe since we don't have solid sales numbers.

According to Nintendo's own sales information the Vita is doing much better in Europe than the Wii U.

As for the US, the Wii U is obviously selling slightly better than the Vita but I don't think it has caught up yet.

Ishida

Banned
The Wii U is at least more popular than the PS Vita.

ummm-no.gif

faridmon

DO IT IT KITASE! The best FF will surely make me buy a Vita. It will, you hear me Sony?

Ugh, please do not redirect XV resources to port XII to Vita. Just get the current announced games out first.

I rather have an international version of FF XII than XV to be honest..

AmanoBuff

Where is the PS4 version running at 4K Kagari? Can you tell him we need it in our veins?

PS4 will only run video at 4K iirc. Games will stay at "just" 1080p for this console generation.

DO IT IT KITASE! The best FF will surely make me buy a Vita. It will, you hear me Sony?

I rather have an international version of FF XII than XV to be honest..

You might as well get one now. FFX HD is coming, and if the new Vita 2000 makes its way here, you might want to have a OG model one with the superior OLED screen.

faridmon

You might as well get one now. FFX HD is coming, and if the new Vita 2000 makes its way here, you might want to have a OG model one with the superior OLED screen.

I really don't mind the LCD screen. Its about games, and I am nearly there, it just need that one game that will tip me over to buy one guaranteed (now that I am closer to find some work)

FF XII could be the one (and by the time it gets announced, the prie might be even cheaper.. I hope)

XII HD is the only HD remake I really wanted since the HD rerelease thing became big.

Would buy it on ps4 or vita.. whatever. Hopefully the work on X HD will somehow help them make XII quicker but I dont think it works that way.

Famassu

FFX HD should have been out ages ago. There's no excuse really - they should have outsourced it to Hexadrive and we'd likely have seen it by now. FF12 should already been announced as well. These are PS2 remasters we're talking about, not full-fledged new games. There's no excuse as to why FFX HD took longer than the original PS2 game to realize. None.
That's a whole different argument. First of all, that still doesn't refute my point that you're usually complaining about them announcing stuff early. No matter what has happened with FFX | X-2 HD, by your own logic that shouldn't be a good reason to announce stuff before they've started to work on it and they shouldn't go ahead announcing stuff before they have something to show and the release is (preferably) no more than ~12 months away. FFXII HD is pretty much guaranteed at this point, I think (what's with them talking so much & so often about wanting to do it), but they are just still busy with FFX | X-2 HD so they aren't really announcing it officially (and shouldn't, before they actually have something to show for it).

About the development of the HD remaster... Apart from SQEX announcing FFX HD during FFX's 10th anniversary (as in, too early when the release is only happening in December 2013 (JP)/Q1 2014 (rest)), it really hasn't taken THAT long for them to do X | X-2 HD, relatively speaking. You have to consider the fact that usually HD remasters have been some sub-10 hour action/adventure games, whereas X & X-2 are both big JRPGs. SQEX has been fixing FFXIV, moving FFXV to next-gen, preparing & beginning KHIII's development, remastering KH1.5 and 2.5 and developing Lightning Returns at the same time, so they couldn't have just put a huge team to crunch FFX | X-2 HD out in a short timespan. I mean, Konami announced Zone of the Enders HD Collection in mid-2011, took almost 1,5 years for those (even though both are very short games), and another extra year to fix Zone of the Enders 2.

Just because these aren't new games doesn't mean getting them to work on new platforms, upgrading assets a abit & remastering/re-arranging music etc. (and doing as admirable a job with it as SQEX is doing with their HD remasters like X | X-2 and KH1.5) doesn't take a considerable amount of time, especially since no publisher is going to put some new-game-development-team size teams working on these HD remasters, but they are likely kind of being worked on the side of new stuff by small-ish teams.

Besides, you're talking as if they've only worked on FFX, when X-2 is a huge endeavour itself, not to even mention they've been doing these ports to two considerably different platforms, one of which isn't nearly as powerful as PS3, complicating matters even more.

Great to hear that Square's designers are still hot on Vita, I was worried when there was talk that Vita was what delayed the FFX/FFX-2 ports for so long, and got doubly-worried when the Kingdom Hearts HD remix came out only on PS3. (They also put nothing behind the Vita at TGS... although unless you have a Japanese phone plan, this year wasn't a great Square Enix TGS for any platform.)
KH1.5 not being on Vita really isn't "doubly-worrying" considering the MAIN PURPOSE of KH1.5 is to bring the franchise back to consoles. They don't want to put any more effort into handheld KHs at the moment because that's not where they want their KH audience to be. At all. They want KH to become a big-time home console franchise again and Vita simply doesn't fit that plan. Though, I guess if FFX | X-2 does incredibly well on Vita, maybe they'll change their minds and do KH 1.5 Vita at a later date.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
"Recently I get a lot of questions that treat the term “J-RPG” in both positive and negative lights. Whether the term is used for better or worse, I feel that the fact that it recognises these games as being distinctly “Japanese” can only be a good thing. I often hear the term “Western style” being used as a comparison or counterpoint to “Japanese style” but am fascinated by this comparison and would really like to ask if there is a distinct “British style” or “European style” or not?"

Well said Kitase, i hope you'll remember that in years to come. And for god's sake, please hurry up with FFXII IZJS HD.

British style: Quirky sense of humour with unique design/art.
European style: The most ambitious games in the world counterbalanced by being buggy jank.

But it's the same with any "style" that comes out of Asia. K-Pop, K-Pop, etc. Hell, even their soccer leagues are called the J-League and K-League.

AmanoBuff

-snip-

KH1.5 not being on Vita really isn't "doubly-worrying" considering the MAIN PURPOSE of KH1.5 is to bring the franchise back to consoles. They don't want to put any more effort into handheld KHs at the moment because that's not where they want their KH audience to be. At all. They want KH to become a big-time home console franchise again and Vita simply doesn't fit that plan. Though, I guess if FFX | X-2 does incredibly well on Vita, maybe they'll change their minds and do KH 1.5 Vita at a later date.

iirc, there are some licesing issues with Disney. So their games can't come out digitally. And since all Vita games are required to have a digital version, that might have been the reason why Vita didn't got KH1.5. It is also the reason why the PSP KH games are not available for download.

iirc, there are some licesing issues with Disney. So their games can't come out digitally. And since all Vita games are required to have a digital version, that might have been the reason why Vita didn't got KH1.5. It is also the reason why the PSP KH games are not available for download.

If that were the real reason then KH3 would be a Wii U exclusive. Both the PS4 and Xbone have the same policy as the Vita with releases, every retail game has to be available digitally.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hard to believe FFXII is a PS2 game at times; it looks absolutely stunning in 1080p. Case in point:

Here's the game running at the PS2's native resolution...

...and in 1920x1080.

Other shots:

I would buy XII HD in a heartbeat. Vita, PS3, PS4...doesn't matter. Make it happen, Square.

Don't remind me how poor(graphically speaking) are the efforts on the vita jrpgs' side(or should i say in general?)...

AmanoBuff

If that were the real reason then KH3 would be a Wii U exclusive. Both the PS4 and Xbone have the same policy as the Vita with releases, every retail game has to be available digitally.

KH3 hasn't been released yet, so the deal for that game (and perhaps all future games) could be different. KH1.5 (and eventually 2.5 I guess) are all based on releases from a long time ago, which are sometimes are subject to licenses that span many years.

There's a reason why KH 1.5 HD is not available digitally. I hope they negotiate some sort of new deal though, because I'd love to play these games on my Vita.

Logo only boxart please with the FF logo smaller and to the side. Like FFX.

Just for kicks...

iH2aW8b.png

Top Bottom