• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is making a "New Metal Gear"

Spaghetti

i still maintain there's a very good chance nothing will come of this and that konami are just looking to deflect any potential immediate stock impact made by the death of one of their two biggest software titles.

UberTag

i still maintain there's a very good chance nothing will come of this and that konami are just looking to deflect any potential immediate stock impact made by the death of one of their two biggest software titles.
It's too late for that. They should consider themselves fortunate we haven't turned the pachinko community against them.

People still bought Halo after bungie left the franchise so people will still buy this.

I probably will if it continues on the story

myco666

Surely not. But I have no idea. The game came back looking completely different and none of the characters in Rising were shown in the trailers when it was being made by Kojipro.
It's visual design is pure Platinum imo.

He seems to be credited for character/concept design on Rising at least according to metalgearwiki. Raiden and Mastiff are designed by Shinkawa thats for sure since they were in the first trailers. Rest of the cast could be from Platinum but I don't know. Looks pretty Metal Gear designs to me.

guaranteed this is going to be a mobile title, episodic title, a microstransaction fest, an online only game, or a combination of all of those things

bluethree

Start off as the Boss being brought into a war zone by chopper. Excitement levels are through the roof. You're going to finally play the legendary soldier who was the root of it all. Pachinko machine lands on the ground, meters away from the Boss. She gives a speech to all the soldiers, who unite and end the war so that they can play pachinko together. End opening scene.

• Featuring never before seen gameplay
  • 2 buttons for double the fun
  • Buy Konami Koins to win Virtual Koins
  • Witness the return of the Boss!

"Now I live on...THROUGH THESE SLOTS!"

Some of the best Metal Gear titles (Snake Eater, MGS1, Revengance, Ac!d, Ghost Babel) were created either without Kojima or with strong influence from other people. I'm sure the series could carry on fine without him if Konami actually cared.

Cant say im shocked at all. They have the engine, and who am I kidding, im going to at least give it a shot. Not a popular opinion but color me intrigued.

bluethree

Some of the best Metal Gear titles (Snake Eater, MGS1, Revengance, Ac!d, Ghost Babel) were created either without Kojima or with strong influence from other people. I'm sure the series could carry on fine without him if Konami actually cared.

in an ideal world, a reboot of the series without kojima would actually be a breath of fresh air. it wouldn't necessarily have the same qualities we love from the series, but it's not an inherently bad thing, certainly.

Wensih

I'm assuming for the first non-Kojima game that they'll just pick up the remains of unimplemented elements of V and continue from their.

G-Fex

Good.

We've come quite a way from MGSV's reaction of 'Fuck Kojima' and now there will be more little 'Fuck Konami' threads.

yuraya

They are probably just hiring people to work on a new Legacy Collection. They know there is millions to be made in that and the 30 year anniversary is coming up soon. They are gonna find a way to capitalize on Kojima's name even if he isn't working there anymore.

Even though Konami is done with the retail gaming market (for now, I'm sure they'll be back), I could still see them making a new metal gear. It's the only franchise they own outside of PES that is worth a damn and it prints $$$. We'll get a new one from them. Shit I'm sure we'll get a remake of the previous ones in fox engine too. They are going to milk it for all it's worth.

Chola

Banned
People still bought Halo after bungie left the franchise so people will still buy this.

I probably will if it continues on the story

Not the same. My guess is it will probably sell around 2.5 million just the name and for the core gameplay Kojipro has perfected.

Golnei

He seems to be credited for character/concept design on Rising at least according to metalgearwiki. Raiden and Mastiff are designed by Shinkawa thats for sure since they were in the first trailers. Rest of the cast could be from Platinum but I don't know. Looks pretty Metal Gear designs to me.

The rest of the cast were Platinum. For example, Mistral and most of the enemy cyborgs were designed by Yong-Hee Cho, and Kenichiro Yoshimura (who also designed the current Yoshimitsu in Tekken) did Monsoon and Sam.

Johndoey

Banned
Haha, MGS 5 story added something to the franchise and character motivation unlike MGS 4 or PW
MGSV exists mostly separate from the rest of the series until it doesn't fucks up the overarching plot. 4 and PW are also not particularly good but that's a different issue.

CREMSteve

I'll never buy another Konami game. They won't see a dime from me on new software and I don't buy used games... So, no more Konami for me.

I even skipped MGS5, which would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

MGS ended with Guns of the Patriots, for me.

Senketsu

giphy.gif

Raitaro

As someone who is doing his best to stay a cautious fan of Konami based on their old output, I see this as a sign of renewed hope they'll stay in the console game business to at least some degree.

I don't care what others say about them, even when I agree with their criticisms against Konami's overal practices and decisions lately, but I'd rather have a new (decent) Metal Gear and - hopefully - Castlevania from a dubious publisher than no game at all honestly.

Yeah, I know I'm part of the problem.

if they go in the direction of tpp gameplay wise (open environments, guards changing shifts etc) then im on board, a good game is a good game and there are not too many good stealth titles anymore

Rising_Hei

They can easily use TPP as base while improving it, and adding more content and it could still be a great game.

The hard part was making TPP, milking it is easy and you don't need a genius for that, that's why i think they'll kind of succeed

And chances are that it's going to be better than V.
I bet this is correct too. I think plenty of people could study the Metal Gear Solid series and make something interesting like mgs2 and 3. Kojima Productions obviously can't make that game anymore if they own the IP or not.

inner-G

Banned
In an evil future world where Pachinko has been banned by the world government, only one clone can save the Yakuza.

...Digital Snake

Top Bottom