• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is making a "New Metal Gear"

Megatron

I wonder how many Metal Gear games post Kojima we will see before we get a kojima game post metal gear? Now that he is his own boss Kojima can spend years perfecting his games.

Setsuna

Whut?

What else is there to tell?

We have MGS3 as the beginning and MGS4, with all the main threats and story arcs closed.

What else is there to do?

We retell the same games, but with "What if Scenarios"

Ie. What if "The Boss" didnt die

I'm looking forward to this. It will be good to see a fresh take on the series because apparently Kojima no longer remembers what made MGS great.

Taker34

Banned
Cool! Will absolutely boycott that title.

Seriously, it's not the same without the most important and influental members of Kojipro. At this point I can afford to not support the direction of which Konami took. It was Kojimas child and we all knew the series dies with his departure.

Anth0ny

Whut?

What else is there to tell?

We have MGS3 as the beginning and MGS4, with all the main threats and story arcs closed.

What else is there to do?

you can probably fit something in between MGSV and MG1.

I'd rather they just remade the other metal gear games in the fox engine, honestly.

Goliath

Just Remake the Metal Gear games. Don't split them up into two games, just make them one big game where we as snake (MGSV Spoiler)
Go after the Big Boss twins.

Zyae

Im sure people have already written 8 paragraph posts about how the series is much better without Kojima involved. Saved and ready to copy paste.

Goliath

you can probably fit something in between MGSV and MG1.

I'd rather they just remade the other metal gear games in the fox engine, honestly.

Easily......
MGSV was a game where one Big Boss built his Outer Heaven mother base in Africa. MGSVI could easily be us playing as the REAL Big Boss building his Outer Heaven in Zanzibar.

Anth0ny

Easily......
MGSV was a game where one Big Boss built his Outer Heaven mother base in Africa. MGSVI could easily be us playing as the REAL Big Boss building his Outer Heaven in Zanzibar.

exactly.

not really interested in that without any kojima involvement, though =\

Menthuss

Might consider together with the next pes.
A couple of little corporate hiccups aren't going to stop me from enjoying good games.

What makes you think Konami are even capable of making a good Metal Gear game at this point? The development team is either gone or has joined the new Kojima Productions.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The Big Boss and Solid Snake stories are very much complete, there isn't much else to tell there at all.
Not unless you retell them. Metal Gear 1/2 remakes, please.

I'm expecting a reboot with a new "Snake" that looks identical to either Solid Snake or Big Boss with the same engine and gameplay as MGSV. Base Building may or may not be in. The story will probably not be as good, but they might get Shinta Nojiri to do it, in which case I'd probably be happy. I'll probably buy it...

What makes you think Konami are even capable of making a good Metal Gear game at this point? The development team is either gone or has joined the new Kojima Productions.

Metal gear is a special case indeed, but I'll decide when they release something if it's worth my time. Same goes for kojima's new game.

This will be the penultimate game to test the industry's critical capacity.

If we wreck this game just because of no Kojima, then we've failed the litmus test.

Goliath

exactly.

not really interested in that without any kojima involvement, though =\

Why? I love Kojima too and am looking forward to his new franchises but the MG games are already made. To be honest they will have to modify some of the Boss Fights (Too similar to MGS) and add a more elaborate story because MG was pretty weak there but he is not the only man in the world who can come up with the meat for the skeleton that is already laid out. To be honest I would be totally OK with them not using Kojima for this because he doesn't need to revisit this story.

Why? I love Kojima too and am looking forward to his new franchises but the MG games are already made. To be honest they will have to modify some of the Boss Fights (Too similar to MGS) and add a more elaborate story because MG was pretty weak there but he is not the only man in the world who can come up with the meat for the skeleton that is already laid out. To be honest I would be totally OK with them not using Kojima for this because he doesn't need to revisit this story.

i totally agree and i think iterating on the foundation that MGSV laid down could result in an amazing game if put in the right hands, but we all know it won't be put in the right hands. there's no way konami doesn't fuck it up. they'll probably have less story/cutscenes, integrate more FOB bullshit, more microtransactions, more nonsense

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I'd be surprised if Konami went forward to continue the original timeline. They might as well reboot the series, setting up their own canon from now on, beginning with a retelling of Solid Snake's missions in Outer Heaven/Zanzibar Conflict.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
We retell the same games, but with "What if Scenarios"

Ie. What if "The Boss" didnt die
I wouldn't mind this approach. Just spin-off into an alternate timeline or something. That's how they handled Ghost Babel, which was a "what if" sequel to MG2:SS. I also think it had a more interesting story than the last couple Kojima directed games anyway.

So basically what MGSV should've been.
heh, basically. MGSV was a really hollow detour.

Ishida

Banned
I'll pass.

The Metal Gear franchise is over for me. MGS4 provided the closure I wanted, and MGSV was an extra.

Everything else won't matter for me, especially without Kojima. Feels weird to finally abandon one of my favorite franchises of all time, but I'm done with it.

With their stellar record of hollowing out talented developers, how the hell do Konami hope to attract the kind of people who could actually do a good job on metal gear.

Plus its kinda like being the act that follows the Beatles. Doesn't matter if you are good, people are still going to throw things at you.

Not having Kojima doesn't matter to me personally as I only played GZ and 5. Engine/gameplay was incredible so I hope they just expand on that.

Also, people act like Kojima was a hostage for decades... isn't Kojima partly to blame for the way they treated their staff as well? He was the top guy there, he could have made a stand. I am guessing he took advantage of the staff in terms of hours and bad environment as well.

disco

The sheer amount of unnecessary stress from fans of the series that the director of this will have to bare upon his shoulders will surely crush him to death.

normanski

Neo Member
the obvious way to go would seem to be building off the only thread that was left open in MGSV seeing as Episode 51 was cut,
and make a full game with Venom taking down Eli and his Lord of the Flies island
. though the question then would be whether anyone would accept Konami's alternative knowing what Kojima's original was supposed to be?

Alternatively they could remake Metal Gear as is
or from Venom's point of view

Would you go see van halen if eddie quit the band? Would you want a pulp fiction 2 with none of the original cast, writers or director involved?

A metal gear without Kojima won't be considered canon by anybody but chumps. They should do the right thing and either reboot it, make it a spinoff or just have completely new characters. Don't try and 'finish the story' or whatever. Even then I probably still wouldn't buy it. Not after what they did to Kojima productions

Endo Punk

MGS4 was the last one I bought. If Kojima couldn't get me to buy his next 2 MGS games then Konami doesn't even stand a chance.

BibiMaghoo

I'd be surprised if Konami went forward to continue the original timeline. They might as well reboot the series, setting up their own canon from now on, beginning with a retelling of Solid Snake's missions in Outer Heaven/Zanzibar Conflict.

I don't think games that departed from established canon did particularly well. In fact at least two of them are scorned for it. AC!D was liked by many, but was not metal gear. If they make their own canon then that won't be metal gear either, just an action / stealth hybrid with a metal gear skin. Which from what I've read is pretty much was V is anyway.

Setsuna

Would you go see van halen if eddie quit the band? Would you want a pulp fiction 2 with none of the original cast, writers or director involved?

A metal gear without Kojima won't be considered canon by anybody but chumps. They should do the right thing and either reboot it, make it a spinoff or just have completely new characters. Don't try and 'finish the story' or whatever. Even then I probably still wouldn't buy it. Not after what they did to Kojima productions

. . .Its a video game. If it turns out good, then its good

Like some of you guys are way to invested in your entertainment

Loakum

Banned
Oh course Konami was gonna make another Metal Gear game. They're loving all the massive sales and being an Game of the Year Contender with MGS The Phantom Pain. Will it work? I don't know because they have really burned a lot of bridges with their grossly unprofessional handling of Hideo Kojima. Not to mention releasing an incomplete game (where's my chapter 3?). If they can have a chance they need to resign David Hayter to voice Snake, bring back storytelling through cutscenes, and get back to basics with stealth gameplay, instead of being an basic action game. They do those things, they can win back many of their lost fanbase.

. . .Its a video game. If it turns out good, then its good

Like some of you guys are way to invested in your entertainment
Oh yeah for sure. If it turns out good. I'm sure it will because you know...Konami has been doing such wonderful things with all their other ips the last few years.....*snicker*

Easily......

If I'm not mistaken
everything relating to Zanzibar Land preceding the fall of Outer Heaven has nothing to do with Big Boss besides it maybe being the location of Operation Snake Eater. He comes into power via a junta following the Mercenary Wars and none of this was retconned in Phantom Pain's ending. So that scenario could be an interesting midquel between Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, unless I'm mistaken, which I might be.

But for real would rather have a tongue in cheek Metal Gear that's Phantom Pain's Engine with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon's tone.

Enter the Snake's Revenge remake scenario.

JayEH

Just remake all the old games. It's their only option at this point. The story is complete, there are no other loose ends to cover and I don't want konami fucking with the story. And please no more open world. I liked tpp's open world but there's no need for another.

The sheer amount of unnecessary stress from fans of the series that the director of this will have to bare upon his shoulders will surely crush him to death.

No kidding. Even if Konami hadn't poisoned the well and ensured a microscope was going to be on production, can you imagine just trying to meet the expectations of the fanbase?

I mean, let's be fair: almost no director can get away with the shit Kojima has pulled. Even relatively little things, like the Quiet debacle, would have been even more poorly-received if Kojima didn't get a massive degree of latitude from fans and critics based on his past work.

I don't think it's actually possible to deliver a Metal Gear that would satisfy fans without being completely savaged in the process, at this juncture.

Top Bottom