• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Fans Are Thirsty For A New Nintendo Direct

Banned
I'm expecting one or two more directs before E3 silence............do you guys think they will actually be at E3 this next year due to the possible new Hardware?
They will have a few before E3. And they should be at E3. I may even go out on a limb and say they're gonna do a live press conference this time because it's new hardware and they seem to be intimidated to make directs without Iwata. Like they don't know where to go from here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's going to be a prettier TP. Yes I'm excited for it but is an HD remake of a 9 year old game a good reason to make a direct?

I kindly ask you to stop being dense on purpose. Because it's tiring. Do you want me to write every time a huge post to include everything to avoid this kind of bullshit? (like "make a direct just for TP HD")

In this very thread I enumerated already several recent announcements that instead of being in a Direct were done just via Twitter or Fb (including the very fresh SMM one). Plus several other possible things that are hinted or we know that should exists (like a Splatoon update, SSB poll result etc).

To answer very clearly: no, I don't want a ND just for Zelda TP HD, but yes, I very much prefer a ND with nicely edited trailers for known games and new things, and to get the more important Nintendo news in that way rather than this secrecy and news done through Fb and Twitter and videos provided by GameXplain (which I very much like, but it's not the same shit) or whoever. And yes, I like getting regular full information about the near future of the device I bought, not being kept in the corner until January or mid 2016.

Edit: and about "prettier TP". WW HD was more than just "prettier WW".

TI82

Banned
Well, I think it was last month I still saw they were hiring people (for NOA) to work on the directs. So it's pretty clear they aren't ready.

Banned
I kindly ask you to stop being dense on purpose. Because it's tiring. Do you want me to write every time a huge post to include everything to avoid this kind of bullshit? (like "make a direct just for TP HD")

In this very thread I enumerated already several recent announcements that instead of being in a Direct were done just via Twitter or Fb (including the very fresh SMM one). Plus several other possible things that are hinted or we know that should exists (like a Splatoon update, SSB poll result etc).

To answer very clearly: no, I don't want a ND just for Zelda TP HD, but yes, I very much prefer a ND with nicely edited trailers for known games and new things, and to get the more important Nintendo news in that way rather than this secrecy and news done through Fb and Twitter and videos provided by GameXplain (which I very much like, but it's not the same shit) or whoever. And yes, I like getting regular full information about the near future of the device I bought, not being kept in the corner until January or mid 2016.

Edit: and about "prettier TP". WW HD was more than just "prettier WW".
And my point is there probably isn't much new things to show so if you want to see those nicely edited trailers go to nintendos YouTube channel and watch them now.

The idea that directs are cheap marketing is asinine. It costs money to produce them, edit the videos, write a script and direct, etc.

Is it worth producing a direct to show off new footage of already announced games from nintendos point of view! That's the question that should be asked.

If you're upset that you don't know the future support of your console that's nintendos fault for lacking the software support and third party output.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And my point is there probably isn't much new things to show so if you want to see those nicely edited trailers go to nintendos YouTube channel and watch them now.

The idea that directs are cheap marketing is asinine. It costs money to produce them, edit the videos, write a script and direct, etc.

Is it worth producing a direct to show off new footage of already announced games from nintendos point of view! That's the question that should be asked.

If you're upset that you don't know the future support of your console that's nintendos fault for lacking the software support and third party output.

Ok, so it's not on purpose. I stop here.

Nightbird

The most convinient thing about directs is that that we get all the new stuff over a span of 30 Minutes instead of several weeks of looking trough their many social media accounts like it is currently.

Anth0ny

a direct with just TP HD, mobile game announcement, club nintendo replacement and the rest being trailers/more info for previously announced games is already better than 70% of nintendo directs

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
a direct with just TP HD, mobile game announcement, club nintendo replacement and the rest being trailers/more info for previously announced games is already better than 70% of nintendo directs

To say that this is too less info for a ND means it means one hasn't seen too many NDs.

Edit: it would be even better than this year's E3 DE.

The most convinient thing about directs is that that we get all the new stuff over a span of 30 Minutes instead of several weeks of looking trough their many social media accounts like it is currently.

That's what sites like this are for.

You shouldn't have to look through any of Nintendo's anything, someone will post it immediately here.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Id' like a Iwata farewell Direct within few days, a "End of the year" Direct with some Wii U stuff (Zelda TP HD with the demo of Zelda U, Star Fox, Pokken, #FE, Pikmin 4 and Zelda U for the 2016), and a New Year Direct in January with brand new stuffs (NX anticipation, basically: they cannot wait until the E3 to partially unveil the new concept). I know that this would hurt the "end year direct" contents for Wii U, but the Wii U basically already is a "legacy" platform, so...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Today's Mario Maker update news would have been perfect for a Direct. The fact they announced it without one leads me to expect we won't see one anytime soon.

Are we even gonna get anymore?

I miss Iwata.

tumblr_mleq4bXDLJ1qbc2ylo1_500.gif

I know (T_T)

Brofield

I didn't even consider them until I read this article. I'm now as acutely aware of this as if I had just recently lost a limb. I can't even focus on anything at work or school. Damn you, Kotaku.

Even if they show nothing we don't already know, I'll still salivate at confirming TPHD and a new Xenoblade X trailer to build hype. But I think they should take more than a few moments to pay tribute to Iwata in their own way, maybe a "Best of" from his earlier directs that gave us all reason to smile with his goofy antics...though for some reason in the back of my mind I'm still waiting for Iwata's final Direct where he says goodbye to us and not to despair, being fully aware of his mortality.

Who

Banned
Will TPHD get more, less, or about the same work put into it as WWHD did? Ie. design changes, improved mechanics etc.

maxcriden

To say that this is too less info for a ND means it means one hasn't seen too many NDs.

Edit: it would be even better than this year's E3 DE.

I mean, it wouldn't take much to top the actual content of the announcements in the E3 Direct. I loved the style of it, super fun and cute, but I know I was in the minority in loving the M&L announcement and it was pretty dull otherwise. Man. I have to say it was still such a bummer accidentally fast-forwarding to a moment of Bowser in a Wario World-esque game and then it turned out when I got to that part of the Direct...it was just Skylands. ;___;

Will TPHD get more, less, or about the same work put into it as WWHD did? Ie. design changes, improved mechanics etc.

We really have no idea. It could just be the GCN w/ HD textures. The GamePad will likely be the primary control method, so I'd expect the (intended, right?) GCN version to be the world used, rather than the mirrored Wii version.

Platy

What does Nintendo have to talk about that's coming out in the next 2/3 months?

Well....

Mario Maker DLC (slopes, water and lava blocks, evil sun, turnips and a few new costumes)
Smash DLC (Shovel Knight and Inklings)
Splatoon DLC (octolings)

Trailers for games coming in the next few months

New Wii Games on WiiU eshop (epic yarn, other M, ends with skyward sword...)

Twilight Princess HD

More amiibos

Talk about the new club nintendo

Style Savvy 2 and Rhythm Heaven 3DS localized

Small teaser about Pokemon Z

That crane f2p game for personalizing the 3DS localized

Ends with first look on mobile game with DeNA

Picross 3DS

Pikmin 4 tease

Triforce Heroes DLC

Nintendo have plenty to fill out a Direct.

Edit: oh and these needs to be some small Iwata tribute. It can't go unsaid.

...At least the Mario Maker non paid dlc is already taken care =(

TDLink

I am sure they plan to completely remake the game with AAA-budget graphics and then release it on their train crash of a console in the last year of its life.

I don't actually expect it to happen, I'm just saying what if? from a total pie in the sky dream perspective. I mean that tech demo was a scene out of TP in the first place. What if they've been working on it in the meantime?

Sure, probably not. But what if?

I do think they'll need to do more work on TP to "HD" it than TWW though. TWW already looked great from an art style perspective. TP is pretty muddled by comparison. I think just up-resing it to HD is going to actually make the game look worse. I expect they'll at least redo character models. Other companies have in fact gone with the up-res strategy but Nintendo has yet to do so. So if it really is happening it likely is going to be slightly in depth, even if it isn't to the extent of the tech demo.

Top Bottom