• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Fans Are Thirsty For A New Nintendo Direct

As I said in the other thread, I'm really not convinced that we'd have seen more Directs if Iwata was still alive, unfortunately.

There are one or two compelling things they could have put in- it seems very likely indeed that Pokémon Z was intended to be announced by this point for a start, considering the amount of promotion that Zygarde is getting in both the anime and other media, and it's not inconceivable that a Direct may have been the intended format for such an announcement. Equally, we can expect to hear about the next Smash DLC, the hypothetical Splatoon Octoling update, the mobile and account system details, and various little updates here and there. Maybe enough fodder for a single Direct, if they stretch. This is, of course, assuming that such info is ready to be shown- you'd have to imagine they're being very careful in their analysis of the Smash ballot, and won't be announcing anything until they're absolutely certain they can do it.

On the other hand, the big software planned for this holiday has been delayed, some of the games coming up have had such a negative initial reaction that Nintendo's not likely to build a Direct around them, they're running out of Amiibo to announce, software such as Xenoblade has been demoed to destruction, and the chances of them having surprise 3DS or Wii U announcements to pull out of the hat are minimal, barring a Twilight Princess HD or something similar. The slate for this holiday, which is the topic that any Nintendo Direct at this point in the year would focus on, is set, and is frankly embarrassing in terms of big, new titles. I could see Iwata's Nintendo having a big Direct and a mini-one or two between E3 and Christmas, but frankly I'm inclined to think they want to ride this year out and focus on showing off the future next year instead.

1308.jpg

Is that Slowpoke at the computer resting his arm on the Slowpoke in the front's hat?

Zalman

I don't agree with the notion that they have no news to share. With Twilight Princess HD apparently coming and the Pokémon Z announcement right around the corner, they have two big games right there. The rest of the Direct could've been used to share the new Mario Tennis trailer they showed yesterday, a final Tri Force Heroes push and maybe reveal a bunch of the leaked VC games.

There's a lot they could cover, but they decided not to. It could still happen, but it's becoming less and less likely with each game released.

I'm of the perspective that after the lackluster feedback from E3 2015, Nintendo is waiting until they have a very compelling lineup before having another Direct.

They are also, as a company, adding new business lines and preparing a generational change. I'm sure they are waiting to get their ducks in a row before going direct to consumer and fumbling the message.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't buy the "there are no news to share", there were Nintendo Directs in the past in similar situation and it was never an issue. We just saw new info and videos for Amiibo MoneyFest and Super Smash New Mario Tennis. We have Octolings in Splatoon and the ballot result for SSB. Fatal Frame Spoopy edition launched in US almost quietly. Nintendo is spamming twitter with Zelda TriForce fashion question and #ChibiRobo and New Style Boutique 2. Xenoblade X is 6 weeks away and could use some more promotion.

The new mobile game, the new account system/loyalty program. A lot of things stated to be launched in Fall.

Give them time. It's not easy to replace Iwata. He was as attached to the Direct format as Freddie Mercury was to Queen.

Both US and EU Directs had already big parts presented by Shibata and Bill Trinen or Reggie. Won't be such a huge issue to use them.

Stuart444

Nintendo Directs started without Iwata appearing in them at all

Yes but since then, he's become synonymous with Nintendo Direct. We've all come to expect him in them.

I imagine Nintendo will have been hard at work looking for someone to replace him in them but it will still feel pretty weird without him.

Both US and EU Directs had already big parts presented by Shibata and Bill Trinen or Reggie. Won't be such a huge issue to use them.

Maybe but we're so used to the start of the Directs, as he brings news DIRECT to us!

They could probably invest a little bit of effort in publicizing Xenoblade X. And whatever else is coming out this year. Presumably there's something!

Yarbskoo

I'm almost certain if Iwata were still with us we would have seen at least one Direct by now. I hope they really do plan to continue with them. Without them, Nintendo just seems so quiet.

Yado

From Kotaku:

I think there's a lot Nintendo could have shown off in a Direct. The recent Mario Tennis & Animal Crossing trailers could have had better breakdowns for the Direct, Xenoblade X could probably use a little more attention, potential DLC announcement for Splatoon (as mentioned), Smash Bros, and Mario Maker (it has to be getting new content, right?). And maybe an update of Star Fox Wii U, plus whatever other random Nintendo games Nintendo may have ready to announce (Twilight Princess HD anyone?).

Although maybe most of that doesn't exist and there really isn't anything to show at all, which is more concerning than the lack of a Direct itself. But, I think/hope we'll see one before the end of the year, because as the article says, the fans are thirsty for it

If I knew this was what was going to be highlighted in a direct I wouldn't watch it.

Nightbird

If I knew this was what was going to be highlighted in a direct I wouldn't watch it.

You know that that's the main purpose of Directs right?
Updating people about games that are releasing soon.
Announcements are just a bonus. We had already a few directs without new announcements

Drago

The Pokémon Z announcement is the one coming November 15, right?
Possibly. Masuda is showing up on Pokemon Smash then, or whatever the show is called now. He could announce a new game (it was where he announced B2W2) or it could be something small like a new event Pokemon or nothing at all (which has happened before).

Hope for the best but nothing is confirmed.

maxcriden

Possibly. Masuda is showing up on Pokemon Smash then, or whatever the show is called now. He could announce a new game (it was where he announced B2W2) or it could be something small like a new event Pokemon or nothing at all (which has happened before).

Hope for the best but nothing is confirmed.

Gotcha. Thanks. And the day after is when they confirm a Wario Land and Chibi Robo x-over, right? 😉

maxcriden

Yep. Looking forward to it!

not sure how that would work but I'd still play it. :p

It's easy! Wario collects gold in side-scrolling levels to build a better and better castle. Chibi Robo is one of a rare few who sees the good in Wario, so he moves into Wario's ever-evolving mansion to befriend the dust mites and Wario Ware NPCs who reside there, in classic 3D CR style.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Not a nice article. Nintendo lost their spokesperson and leader. They should show more respect.

WolvenOne

Seeing as Nintendo is gearing up for the Nintendo NX, I rather doubt they have all that much to show. At least, not until they're ready to unveil the Nintendo NX and it's lineup.

Hopefully that'll happen around January. They can't wait all that much longer then that without talking about thier upcoming lineup.

AdanVC

Staying dead silent since a very dissapointing E3 is the worst decision they could have made in terms of PR. I totally understand that after Iwata's passing, they were through lot's of intense changes inside the company and that sure takes time but come on this is getting ridiculous. They are falling right into the void of irrelevance as each day pass by. It's extremely frustrating and since they don't announce anything new, one simply concludes that they just don't care about it's customers and they just will continue posting awful memes and stuff. 2016 can't come soon enough to see if at least they bring NDs back to announce what's left for Wii U.

Drago

It's easy! Wario collects gold in side-scrolling levels to build a better and better castle. Chibi Robo is one of a rare few who sees the good in Wario, so he moves into Wario's ever-evolving mansion to befriend the dust mites and Wario Ware NPCs who reside there, in classic 3D CR style.
Hmm... that sounds pretty good, actually!

too bad both series are kinda dead atm ;(

Servbot24

Banned
From Kotaku:

I think there's a lot Nintendo could have shown off in a Direct. The recent Mario Tennis & Animal Crossing trailers could have had better breakdowns for the Direct, Xenoblade X could probably use a little more attention, potential DLC announcement for Splatoon (as mentioned), Smash Bros, and Mario Maker (it has to be getting new content, right?). And maybe an update of Star Fox Wii U, plus whatever other random Nintendo games Nintendo may have ready to announce (Twilight Princess HD anyone?).

Although maybe most of that doesn't exist and there really isn't anything to show at all, which is more concerning than the lack of a Direct itself. But, I think/hope we'll see one before the end of the year, because as the article says, the fans are thirsty for it

Fans want a Nintendo Direct, and they're dreaming of it containing breakdowns of Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (which has already released), Mario Tennis, DLC, and hey, as long as we're reaching for the stars, maybe even an announcement of a remaster.

Nintendo have truly beaten their fans into submission.

Fans want a Nintendo Direct, and they're dreaming of it containing breakdowns of Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (which has already released), Mario Tennis, DLC, and hey, as long as we're reaching for the stars, maybe even an announcement of a remaster.

Nintendo have truly beaten their fans into submission.

Who said anything about HHD?

R00bot

I wonder if the Directs will feature the new president reprising the role Iwata had, or if they will move more to a direct style with little talk in between games, essentially a bunch of trailers put together.

I hope they have someone take Iwata's role, it just wouldn't feel right to have a bunch of trailers shoved together.

also can the first direct feature a tribute to iwata pls and thank u

I'm pleased articles like this exist, because they're more likely to get Nintendo's attention. I think there's a lot they could show:

Details of Club Nintendo's Replacement
Nintendo's mobile game
Pikmin 4
Smash Ballot
Etc
They don't want to. Their previous President was a huge part of this and right now they're still recovering internally. Let them come back with a strong 2016.

They don't want to. Their previous President was a huge part of this and right now they're still recovering internally. Let them come back with a strong 2016.

Says who? The plan was to unveil the new program plus the mobile game this year, right? Never said to not expect that unless I missed something.

Top Bottom