• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Gamestop has sold out preorder deluxe Wii U stock nationwide

ironcreed

Banned
Bad thing for the industry if this sells well, but it is what it is.

Prepare for E3 2014,2015,2016 to be touch screen controller bs as Sony/Microsoft tries to play catch up like they did for motion controls which most people despised.

Hey, I am pretty staunch when it comes to a good old classic controller as well, but have warmed up to this. As you still use it like a regular controller with triggers and analogs... it just has added features. The more I looked into it the more I realized that I am not opposed to the same kind of control scheme with some added enhancements to the controller. I think it is a nice blend of classic and new, and am looking forward to something that feels kind of the same, but adds something extra as well.

kaioshade

Crap, missed out on getting a deluxe. I wonder if this SKU will still be available after launch of is nintendo going to truly make it limited and stop selling them after a while. I really do not care for the white console.

LuchaShaq

Banned
But the deluxe version is too expensive according to neogaf?

Plenty of things sell well/have great rating/succeed that are genuinely awful and plenty of things fail horribly that are awesome.

Not going to say toddlers and tiaras isn't vile and disgusting just because it gets good ratings.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler

Prepare for E3 2014,2015,2016 to be touch screen controller bs as Sony/Microsoft tries to play catch up like they did for motion controls which most people despised.

KuGsj.gif

omonimo

Banned
Yes their own ideas.

Asymetrical gameplay started on Nintendo in 2002 with GBA/GCN connectivity and 4 swords.

Touchscreen on the DS (2004)

2 screen gaming with DS aswell (2004)

Motion control with the Wii (2006)

All before Apple with the iPhone (2007)

Now they combine them all -> Wii U

Motion control it hasn't been invented to nintendo. Even sony with eye camera has preceded that; however looking at the past there are a lot of precursors. & I'll bet with a good search even the touch screen isn't a nintendo invention. What Iwata doing, it's more a good market strategy than to real innovate the videogame market. Wii not has change the market at the end, wii U will not change but could sell, & this is the target of Iwata. Bet to the mass casual market.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
But i woudl be pretty surprised if this is not a feature of their next console anyway. So WiiU won't have this advantage for a long time.
Orioto, how do you think Sony and MS can manage to release a GamePad like controller and a high end PC, at an affordable price? Selling with a $200 loss could do it, but do you think they'll go this way?

You also get 10% off all ffuture digital downloads. I think that will make up the extra 50 within the life of the console

Forgot about that. If you download a lot it would make the 32gb useless since you would be expanding the memory yourself. Unless you really want to play Nintendo land, it just seems like a total cash grab.

Keep telling yourself that.

In six months, gamers will never go back to one screen gaming because they will realize how much it benefits the experience. And either Sony or MS (or both) will incorporate a second screen into their controller and once again..follow the leader.

Nah..it's because you are. And a bitter one at that.

You call Busty bitter and a troll and you come off much worse with this post. Also a bit delusional with a statement like this:

In six months, gamers will never go back to one screen gaming because they will realize how much it benefits the experience.
smh

For people who don't want developer resources wasted on gimmicks. Luckily most devs didn't care about implementing motion but it still ruined E3 when they spend 80% of the time on that shit.

Did that not happen this gen? Can you honestly say I'm wrong?

How is it bad for the industry though? That makes no sense. If anything it would help the industry.

Touchscreen controls are the fastest growing, most accessible input in EVERY PIECE OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY.

There is a 0% chance PS4/XB3 don't launch with some sort of inherent touchscreen controller. NONE

Or not. You really think there's a 0% chance that the other two don't release with $150 controllers?

Even if they're not as fully functional as the U's, it will jack up the price and reduce manufacturing yields.

Motion control it hasn't been invented to nintendo. Even sony with eye camera has preceded that; however looking at the past there are a lot of precursors. & I'll bet with a good search even the touch screen isn't a nintendo invention. What Iwata doing, it's more a good market strategy than to real innovate the videogame market. Wii not has change the market at the end, wii U will not change but could sell, & this is the target of Iwata. Bet to the mass casual market.

Nothing is a Nintendo invention. But thy are the first to appy it to gaming.

And the Gameboy camera was waaaay before Eye toy, so whats your point?

ironcreed

Banned
Forgot about that. If you download a lot it would make the 32gb useless since you would be expanding the memory yourself. Unless you really want to play Nintendo land, it just seems like a total cash grab.

I am sold on getting the basic at $299.00 and spending the difference on a game I actually want. As for storage, I can pick up a 1TB drive to attach for around 70.00 and will have all the space I ever need.

Nibel

How is this surprising? This feels like Nitnendo PR spinning gold from shit. The 'shit' being a weak response to Nintendo's WiiU conference on Thursday.

The WiiU is going to sell gangbusters to the Nintendo hardcore and hardly anyone else. The Nintendo hardcore are (to say the very least) rabid and will want the console day one. Thus it's going to sell out on pre order in many places.

Let's see how the WiiU is doing after six months when every Nintendo fan that wants a console has one and the general public are apathetic when the next gen machines are round the corner and the tablet gimmick has no games to show it off.

And before you call me a troll I'm just calling it the way I see it.

I don't know how such a insane post gets ignored by most people

Angry Fork

How is it bad for the industry though? That makes no sense. If anything it would help the industry.

Industry during PS2/Gamecube/Xbox days was far better for gamers than the industry now that grandmothers and sports bros are playing. Almost every time something goes mainstream it becomes diluted. Although it may have been necessary to branch out to justify the high costs of HD gaming so who knows.

omonimo

Banned
Nothing is a Nintendo invention. But thy are the first to appy it to gaming.

And the Gameboy camera was waaaay before Eye toy, so whats your point?

But gameboy was a portable, not an home console. When nintendo put 3d on portable it's original, tries to innovate (& sony is the first who bet to 3d on console market) when the others does otherwise, copy, are the evil. Why we have to read claims so fools?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Does Amazon US have their preorder page up? They have the games. I just want to put this on my wish list so I can get it later.

What he said about the tablet rings true for me. I haven't seen any game-changing experiences it's added to gameplay. A nugget here and there but nothing significant, a lot like the Wii. This is excluding the fact that you'll have to look down at the screen for many of these incredible gamepad features.

Keep telling yourself that.

In six months, gamers will never go back to one screen gaming because they will realize how much it benefits the experience. And either Sony or MS (or both) will incorporate a second screen into their controller and once again..follow the leader.

Nah..it's because you are. And a bitter one at that.

I understand keeping a positive outlook, but you thinking that this is somehow going to COMPLETELY revolutionize gaming just seems ridiculous to me. I mean, it's a second screen; big fucking deal. So far all I've seen it do are UI stuff like items and maps or just gimmicky stuff I could do without. And if it's going to make me pay an extra $150, I think I can do without it.

Does Amazon US have their preorder page up? They have the games. I just want to put this on my wish list so I can get it later.

no and they won't ever directly sell it either

and i almost had a bit of impulse pre-order. Even though there's no games that truly interest me yet. I will buy it probably next year but man i have a hard time not buying launch consoles for some reason

iammeiam

We're heading into a new console generation.

It's for the best to build up a general tolerance to these sorts of things, as it's only going to get worse for the next few years.

ironcreed

Banned
Industry during PS2/Gamecube/Xbox days was far better for gamers than the industry now that grandmothers and sports bros are playing. Almost every time something goes mainstream it becomes diluted. Although it may have been necessary to branch out to justify the high costs of HD gaming so who knows.

But the difference here is that this is also used like a regular controller. It just has the added feature of the screen. I don't see how that automatically will make games worse just because you can have two screens to interact with instead of one. If anything, it offers more options and interactivity.

omonimo

Banned
Yeah it counts and it counted before with the DS and 2 screens reference. But now since its not suiting your case it dosen´t count?

It's funny. The exact my same thought. But I'm not trying to defend the strategies of a milionarie company when 'screw' my interests. I'm surprise all those nintendo fan are so obstinate to solidarize with everything to nitendo when it seems completely ignore them from the gamecube.

cajunator

Banned
wonder if pachter's right, gonna be a lotta crow to eat around here if so

true, the Wii-U was last gen
but the WU is so next gen

What did Pachter say? I missed this.

thats hypothetically assuming those people have the actual money to pay their preorders off.

Actually I have enough money in banks to buy a new car, but thanks for making shitty assumptions.

Only reason I'm not getting a Wii U at launch is because I'm going to be deployed (just like I was when the Wii launched).

Maybe if I get lucky, my wife will pick one up and it'll be waiting for me.

Good luck and thanks for what you do.

This is not a bad thing for the industry. Fresh ideas keep the industry viable. As for Ms/Sony, their marketshare went up when they expanded to the casual market with motion gaming. It expanded the market overall. This is not a BAD thing.

For people who don't want developer resources wasted on gimmicks. Luckily most devs didn't care about implementing motion but it still ruined E3 when they spend 80% of the time on that shit.

Did that not happen this gen? Can you honestly say I'm wrong?

See above. Expanding the market is never bad.

Because its the same regurgitated shit every single Nintendo console launch and nobody cares anymore to respond to it.

It's funny. The exact my same though. But I'm not trying to defend the strategie of a milionarie company. I'm surprise all those nintendo fan are so obstinate to solidarize with everything to nitendo when it seems completely ignore them from the gamecube.

Yes you do. You said Nintendo reacted to Apple and their iPhone and iPad wich are mobile devices in the first place. Those aren´t consoles either...

Cipherr

Wow at the salt. Yeah, system wars is alive and well alright. Already got people fuming posting heartfelt angry nonsense. The "This means nothing!" and the "But Smartphones!" has already started. Lol.

omonimo

Banned
Yes you do. You said Nintendo reacted to Apple and their iPhone and iPad wich are mobile devices in the first place. Those aren´t consoles either...

It's opinable. Those aren't uniquely or specifically a console, but does like console. However I don't understand what change.

cajunator

Banned

Nintendo did acknowledge apple as a new competitor in recent years but as people have said, the DS has existed for a long time with touchscreen interface and Nintendo shifted that strategy towards consoles this gen. Nintendo does have to compete with the Tablet gaming market on one level but those devices still do not offer interactivity with traditional style gaming like the wiiU does. Thats the difference here.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
no and they won't ever directly sell it either

and i almost had a bit of impulse pre-order. Even though there's no games that truly interest me yet. I will buy it probably next year but man i have a hard time not buying launch consoles for some reason
Well, there's got to be a reason fr this. Did Jeff Bezos run over Reggie's dog or something?

bill0527

What he said about the tablet rings true for me. I haven't seen any game-changing experiences it's added to gameplay. A nugget here and there but nothing significant, a lot like the Wii. This is excluding the fact that you'll have to look down at the screen for many of these incredible gamepad features.

You don't have to look down at the screen. Bring the pad up towards your face and you can keep 1 eye on the TV at the same time. And you dont have to hold it there. You can drop the pad back down when you're finished with the action you select on the pad. That's how I've seen several people doing it in gameplay videos. I know it may seem a little unwieldy at first, but once you learn what to expect on the pad screen you'll get better at it and it'll become second nature with a little practice.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In a perverse way, I kind of enjoy that the launch of any new Nintendo product brings out defensive 'true gamers' who wax apocalyptic about the damage to the industry if Nintendo continues making money.

At this point, it really is gaming's equivalent of the nerd rage at Apple bringing out a new product and people buying it.

'tis charming.

Daschysta

It's funny. The exact my same thought. But I'm not trying to defend the strategies of a milionarie company when 'screw' my interests. I'm surprise all those nintendo fan are so obstinate to solidarize with everything to nitendo when it seems completely ignore them from the gamecube.

Except it really doesn't wtf? Nintendo was just as good to gamers during Wii as it was during gamecube.

cajunator

Banned
The supply constraint stuff is getting old.
Do people even have any concept of logistics and manufacturing? Nintendo cannot just manifest consoles out of thin air. they have to first ramp up production, test the consoles for defects, distribute them to warehouses, then ship them to retailers. This stuff takes time and planning. They cannot just rush 3 million units out the door day one.

But gameboy was a portable, not an home console. When nintendo put 3d on portable it's original, tries to innovate (& sony is the first who bet to 3d on console market) when the others does otherwise, copy, are the evil. Why we have to read claims so fools?

I just want to say Nintendo bet on 3D twice before Sony.

- NES in Japan. They had 3D shutter glasses and a few 3D games, including a couple of Square games (one being Rad Racer) and Nintendo's 3D Hot Rally.

- Virtual Boy. Not technically console, but still.

Haunted

How many are we talking about? Nintendo is the master of supply constraints, after all.
Well, it's only Gamestop's preorder stock for one SKU, so we have no idea how significant this actually is.

But don't forget that they set huge records with the Wii - manufacturing and making more units available than any other console in history had before, I can't even start to imagine how you'd sensibly prepare for a repeat of that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42114290&postcount=179

cajunator

Banned
Except it really doesn't wtf? Nintendo was just as good to gamers during Wii as it was during gamecube.

Actually, I would say it was better in terms of the quality of first party titles and catering to beloved franchises. Several of those skipped the Gamecube but came back on Wii.
and then crazy stuff started occurring like bringing back Sega bringing back NiGHTS and Nintendo releasing Sin and Punishment 2.

baekshi

Banned
The supply constraint stuff is getting old.
Do people even have any concept of logistics and manufacturing? Nintendo cannot just manifest consoles out of thin air. they have to first ramp up production, test the consoles for defects, distribute them to warehouses, then ship them to retailers. This stuff takes time and planning. They cannot just rush 3 million units out the door day one.

if apple could do it, i dont see how nintendo can't

Angry Fork

But the difference here is that this is also used like a regular controller. It just has the added feature of the screen. I don't see how that automatically will make games worse just because you can have two screens to interact with instead of one. If anything, it offers more options and interactivity.

I actually like the way the controller looks I'd love to try it out I just don't want Sony/Microsoft to spend all their time copying it just because it sells well. I don't blame Nintendo for trying new hardware experiences but I do dislike them overpricing old hardware (not touch screen stuff I mean video card ram etc.).

I play primarily on PC now so it doesn't bother me much anymore but if I was a console-only gamer it would be annoying because it holds the industry back. If old overpriced tech sells a lot than Sony may stop making megatron consoles and do what Nintendo does which would be sad.

See above. Expanding the market is never bad.

Mass Effect/Bioware
Splinter Cell
Socom
Resident Evil/Capcom
Dead Space/"Survival" Horror games in general or lack there of.
Insomniac (maybe?)
Watch all the E3's since 2008/2009
ESPN, central media hub BS and Microsoft using it to justify Live price hikes.
Everything shifting to shooter-central, less resources spent on platformers RPGs etc.

I'm sure I could think of more but I'm too lazy right now.

Top Bottom