• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Gamestop has sold out preorder deluxe Wii U stock nationwide

hokahey

Touch screen is a new, fresh experiences now? Wow, sometimes nintendo fan claims sounds completely crazy to me.

I know right? I mean we've been using a tablet to interact with big screen gaming for years now. I'll never forget the first time i used the xtablet to zoom in for a sniper shot on Halo.

Maxim726X

Regardless of whether the shortage is intentional or not, there's going to be a crazy resale market for this when it comes out.

Trickster

Like some have said, it really don't mean a lot without knowing how many Wii U's gamestop had to preorder away.

Not saying the Wii U won't sell like hotcakes at the beginning, but this news is to vague to form a proper idea of how popular the Wii U is.

Pineconn

Like some have said, it really don't mean a lot without knowing how many Wii U's gamestop had to preorder away.

My store was taking 10 of each SKU, and I'm pretty sure this was the standard. Of course, additional preorders might be available down the road if the supply is there.

I wake up this fine Saturday, on my way to go pre-order my Wii U, decide to check NeoGAF on the way out...

GODDAMMIT

My store was taking 10 of each SKU, and I'm pretty sure this was the standard. Of course, additional preorders might be available down the road if the supply is there.

There are approximately 6,600 US GameStops (first number pulled of Google) so that's roughly 130,000 units. Not super incredible for a launch, but it's just a single chain I guess.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
excellent news for Nintendo. Obviously, not knowing exactly how many units they allocated doesn't reveal much in terms of the U being a huge success, but it's safe to say it's going well as for now

GUYS!

If you didn´t get a preorder Wii U, you might consider purchasing this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wi...0901214708?pt=Video_Games&hash=item232269cdf4

LOL.
IT BEGINS

iy2p7XcOmVdAe.gif

IT HAS BEGUN.

orioto

Good Art™
I know right? I mean we've been using a tablet to interact with big screen gaming for years now. I'll never forget the first time i used the xtablet to zoom in for a sniper shot on Halo.

That's indeed crazy when you think about it. Tactile interface is the real strength of the WiiU. The dual screen thing with two different things on the screens and all that is BS. The whole point of it is to be able to use a touch device on a tv, that's it. And it clearly allows lots of cool gameplay mechanics and deep intuitive interfaces.

And that's pretty crazy Nintendo can still be "innovative" with that in 2012 cause there was NOTHING that stopped Sony and Microsoft to play with that this gen.

But i woudl be pretty surprised if this is not a feature of their next console anyway. So WiiU won't have this advantage for a long time.

Nibel

First everybody was sure that Nintendo Dreamcasted themselves, now everybody acts unsuprised :lol

Gamers maine

omonimo

Banned
DS 2 screens.

Wii U 2 screens

Bringing the successful DS formula to the home console.

Thats all. Nintendoes what Nintenwants.

All what I see to me suggest nintendo tries to follow the patch delineated to apple, but I could wrong. The thing I don't understand is why nintendo fan trying to give all those merits uniquely to nintendo 'originality'; I think nintendo it's a company like the others, no more & lately it's more interesting to follow the casual mainstream than the 'traditional' videogame market.

So much for having our StreetPass group pre-order many of them today to prep for a great launch night gathering.

I suppose I'll try to stop by Targét here in a little bit.

TAS

The WiiU is going to sell gangbusters to the Nintendo hardcore and hardly anyone else..

Keep telling yourself that.

Let's see how the WiiU is doing after six months when every Nintendo fan that wants a console has one and the general public are apathetic when the next gen machines are round the corner and the tablet gimmick has no games to show it off.

In six months, gamers will never go back to one screen gaming because they will realize how much it benefits the experience. And either Sony or MS (or both) will incorporate a second screen into their controller and once again..follow the leader.

And before you call me a troll I'm just calling it the way I see it.

Nah..it's because you are. And a bitter one at that.

Kacho

First everybody was sure that Nintendo Dreamcasted themselves, now everybody acts unsuprised :lol

Gamers maine

Good Nintendo news? Not on my watch! Let's see how they're doing 6 months from now! No, a year from now!

Touchscreen controls are the fastest growing, most accessible input in EVERY PIECE OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY.

There is a 0% chance PS4/XB3 don't launch with some sort of inherent touchscreen controller. NONE

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That's indeed crazy when you think about it. Tactile interface is the real strength of the WiiU. The dual screen thing with two different things on the screens and all that is BS. The whole point of it is to be able to use a touch device on a tv, that's it. And it clearly allows lots of cool gameplay mechanics and deep intuitive interfaces.

And that's pretty crazy Nintendo can still be "innovative" with that in 2012 cause there was NOTHING that stopped Sony and Microsoft to play with that this gen.

But i woudl be pretty surprised if this is not a feature of their next console anyway. So WiiU won't have this advantage for a long time.

There's one key difference between how Nintendo is doing things like this, and Sony and MS copying it.

Nintendo builds the core system around such tech and these devices. It's standard at the root level. Sony and MS don't like to do that (so far) and make any such 'innovations' add-ons.

As a result, their attempts to copy or surpass Nintendo so far have been hack jobs. Move and Kinect aren't fully integrated into the console design, the console interfaces aren't a hand-in-glove fit, and developers know that not every potential customer has the add-ons.

Next gen, I won't be surprised at all to see Sony come out with a PS4 screen-pad or tablet interface of some kind that's beyond mere remote play on the Vita. And MS is already pushing tablet-console communication. But the fact remains their consoles aren't built around those things.

All what I see to me suggest nintendo tries to follow the patch delineated to apple, but I could wrong. The thing I don't understand is why nintendo fan trying to give all those merits uniquely to nintendo; I think nintendo it's a company like the others, no more & lately it's more interesting to follow the mainstream interests than the videogame market.

Because as i wrote Nintendoes what Nintenwants. Look at the Wii. Iwata had BALLS to release a motion control only console.

Look at the DS. Or the 3D Display of 3DS.

Nintendo isn´t one that follows. They never were.

Even if it goes against the stream (Modules on N64, mini discs on GC)

Wiz

Just called my Gamestop, the clerk said they removed the Black SKU from Pre-orders yesterday due to hitting a certain amount of pre-orders and are only taking White SKU pre-orders.

She also said that if I pre-order the White SKU, she'll make a note on my account and let me knew if the Black SKU comes back up so I can transfer my pre-order over.

I guess I'll just take her advice.

Got my premium WiiU pre order up at my local gamestore and will do the same at Saturn next friday. I'll play it safe this time. On Wii launch day I was at the store 8 minutes after it opened and all was gone (the store looked like a warzone, not kidding) and it took me two weeks to get one.

omonimo

Banned
Because as i wrote Nintendoes what Nintenwants. Look at the Wii. Iwata had BALLS to release a motion control only console.

Look at the DS. Or the 3D Display of 3DS.

Nintendo isn´t one that follows. They never were.

Even if it goes against the stream (Modules on N64, mini discs on GC)

Forgive me but I can't avoid to think to you with that expression
image.php
when you trying to say this; anyway I don't give all that credit to Iwata seeing the 3ds 'success'. Nintendo lately just recycle some idea here & there & put it in the console market but is not that original if we watch in the past.

ironcreed

Banned
Just called my Gamestop and they still have pre-orders open for the Basic. So tempted to shoot down there and do it. It's becoming harder to resist getting a new console after all these years.

ElRenoRaven

So does anyone know how much you have to put down on a preorder at Gamestop? Thinking about checking today if they're still taking them nearby.

I will just waltz into a store and buy it day 1.

...I can actually do that. :p I live near Nintendo World, and they are usually very, very well stocked. If I decide to get the Wii U day 1, I'll just see if Nintendo's doing a launch party.

But really, good to hear it's popular.

Just to let you know. I pre-ordered my Wii at the NWS, since at the time I was going to school not far from there. They didn't open at midnight, but they opened at 6 am if I remember right. I showed up with some friends at 9pm to start waiting and the line by then was already down the street and around the block. By the time they opened the line went on for blocks and blocks, and while yes they did have a TON of systems, I'm not sure if it was enough for how crazy that line was.

This is such crap. I'm convinced that they deliberately send shortages to retailers to fan the hype. There was none of this shit when the Playstation 2 and regular XBox was released. I remember being able to pick up the XBox in early December 2001. It seems like this trend began to seriously take hold with the current generation consoles.

Maybe you were lucky in your area. I worked retail for the GC and Xbox launches those fuckers were hard to come by for months, Not Wii level difficult but definitely not as easy as walk into a store and buy one at any time.

Forgive me but I can't avoid to think to you with that expression
image.php
when you trying to say this; anyway I don't give all that credit to Iwata seeing the 3ds 'success'. Nintendo lately just recycle some idea here & there & put it in the console market but is not that original if we watch in the past.

Yes their own ideas.

Asymetrical gameplay started on Nintendo in 2002 with GBA/GCN connectivity and 4 swords.

Touchscreen on the DS (2004)

2 screen gaming with DS aswell (2004)

Motion control with the Wii (2006)

All before Apple with the iPhone (2007)

Now they combine them all -> Wii U

Angry Fork

Bad thing for the industry if this sells well, but it is what it is.

Prepare for E3 2014,2015,2016 to be touch screen controller bs as Sony/Microsoft tries to play catch up like they did for motion controls which most people despised.

I'm surprised the deluxe version is popular.

Nothing about it seems appealing to me. I'm assuming Nintendo have focused a lot more on standard stock or something.

Besides the color me neither. For $50 bucks more all you get is 24 extra gigs, a mini game collection, and stands.

Bad thing for the industry if this sells well, but it is what it is.

Prepare for E3 2014,2015,2016 to be touch screen controller bs as Sony/Microsoft tries to play catch up like they did for motion controls which most people despised.

More like a bad thing for "hxc gamers"

LuchaShaq

Banned
Nintendo creating false scarcity???? Blasphemy.

Good for me though I've already pre ordered multiples just to EBay to suckers, not keeping any for myself though.

Top Bottom