• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

l4d3? (Source 2 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirata

I'm guessing that this was a tech demo of sorts for Source 2. Unless they plan on stuffing redesigned old levels into L4D3, which I suppose is possible. Even though it's at a low resolution, it's obvious the graphics are very much improved. Looking good!

Also, hey there, Valve employees! I know this isn't the way you wanted Source 2 to first be seen, but it's nothing to freak out about on your end. The existence of the engine and L4D3 have been open secrets for years now, and this is a fun little tease that I think will build some positive hype. Hopefully you were planning to reveal this stuff sometime in the near future so it isn't an interminable wait!

Mondy

Banned
CBOAT!

t4ueP.gif

Grief.exe

It won't be the midnight riders, except maybe in a DLC. The main group is always going to be multicultural and there has to be at least one girl.

Really? That just seems like an arbitrary reason to discount the theory.

The last two games had certain aesthetic choices, so that means the sequels have to continue on that path indefinitely.

andycapps

Dude fuck the story, no one cares about that crap(except your shilling ass). We just want to shoot more zombies with our friends on PC or console.

I actually like the stories in both games, they're fairly bare bones, but being able to read more about what happened by exploring different rooms and seeing what was written on the walls was cool.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone make out what the 20th slide says?

I read:

Redesigned Tools & Workflow

Powerful GUI for content authoring
[some stuff that I don't see]

Browser for quality testing, managing, notify assets (?)

Simple, automatic compiling of content

I don't know anything about game design so forgive me for asking this but how does a remodeling of L4D2 showing off Source 2.0 mean L4D3? Is this how this stuff usually starts? Or is the fact that CBOAT is even saying L4D3 confirmation enough?

Grief.exe

If they port every fucking map from L4D1 and 2 to L4D3 i dont see any point in buying L4D3 if its F2P after a few years like L4D2.

Having fun with your friends and playing through the new maps and mechanics in a new engine?

Enjoying the old maps in the new engine with the new mechanics?

If its a value proposition, then just wait a few months for the sale. Waiting a few years for the mere possibility that the game is given away for free one day seems ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy freaking crap its gorgeous. The fidelity of every detail is outrageous. I love the way Valve makes things look.

Plasma

Banned
I don't suppose L4D2 could be updated to source 2.0?

Maybe, the original Half Life was updated to work in Source.

If it was updated though I doubt it would look like those slides as that would require them to go through all of the maps and update or add new art assets.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I wouldn't mind them porting up previous L4D levels for every new release. I can replay these infinitely anyway.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Maybe a mod should edit the title with a buttocks'd version of "Source 2 slides" so that the nitpicking over what exactly we're seeing here can end.

injurai

Banned
Having fun with your friends and playing through the new maps and mechanics in a new engine?

Enjoying the old maps in the new engine with the new mechanics?

If its a value proposition, then just wait a few months for the sale. Waiting a few years for the mere possibility that the game is given away for free one day seems ridiculous.

Playing through l4d1 maps in the updated engine, especially with the new Director A.I. was really a treat. It took them a damn long time to move them over. So perhaps it's a better task for the steam workshop community.

sn00zer

So cboat works for MS, lives in Germany and recently received the external pp presentation from Valve......I would be nervous if I was cboat....its going to be easier to pinpoint who he is....Im surprised he has been called out yet

Laranja

As other people have pointed out, this doesn't look like a simple re-rendering of the old map in the new engine.

9ii33Y4.jpg

(In-engine L4D2 map on top, new render on the bottom.)

Branduil

Really? That just seems like an arbitrary reason to discount the theory.

The last two games had certain aesthetic choices, so that means the sequels have to continue on that path indefinitely.

Midnight Riders would also limit the game to the same geographical area. I doubt that will happen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can anyone make out what the 20th slide says?

I read:

It's a pretty standard list of what you'd want in the toolchain of a 2014 engine.

Source 1 had a really bad toolchain (by modern standards) and was making it too difficult to develop content efficiently for larger games, so the focus of Source 2 is to fix that.

Like the bullet point about asset management is 50 times more relevant in 2014 than 2004 as you likely have 10-20 times more individual art assets in a game if not more, so simply finding what you want to place in a level could be a nightmare in Source 1.

Racional side : They will just "upgrade" L4D2 to Source 2.0

HYPE side : If they´re doing L4D3 on Source 2.0 this only mean ONE THREE THING ! HL3 !

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Racional side : They will just "upgrade" L4D2 to Source 2.0

HYPE side : If they´re doing L4D3 on Source 2.0 this only mean ONE THREE THING ! HL3 !

They're making Left 4 Dead 3. They're using L4D2 assets as a comparison point for the purposes of testing the engine and finding problems with the workflow to fix.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's a pretty standard list of what you'd want in the toolchain of a 2014 engine.

Source 1 had a really bad toolchain (by modern standards) and was making it too difficult to develop content efficiently for larger games, so the focus of Source 2 is to fix that.

Like the bullet point about asset management is 50 times more relevant in 2014 than 2004 as you likely have 10-20 times more individual art assets in a game if not more, so simply finding what you want to place in a level could be a nightmare in Source 1.

Yeah, I remember Valve saying they wanted to prioritize this and content streaming. Good news that we're seeing evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom