• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PS3/PC) GOTY |OT| - CONTEST OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
TTP said:
I'm not gonna upgrade my old PC just to play this game, I'm not going to go Gold and I like my games on the system I use the most. I'm stuck! Oh well, don't really want to start a discussion about this. Just saying PS3 stutters. So you know.

Besides, compensating sloppy programming with purchasing more powerful hardware or changing my habits is not my thing.

One would think a framerate whore such as yourself would have to a top of the line PC for multiplatform games. :p

aristotle said:
I never noticed the stuttering, but I only played the first level. I was of the lucky few who got the gamespot code though. Maybe the stuttering is on the other language versions? I have no idea.
Responses like this make me think the stuttering does not happen to everyone. It is so pronunced on my system, I can't imagine someone not noticing it. Like it only happens on specific configurations, specific PS3 models or something.

Also the PS3 version seems to have a lot of bugs related to trophies not installing, not unlocking etc.

Since there was a guy form Eidos in this thread at some point, it would be awesome to get a response to this.

Zeliard

John Walker over at Rock Paper Shotgun wrote a rather glowing review of this game:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/01/wot-i-thinklara-croft-the-guardian-of-light/#more-40660

John Walker said:
Which all combines to having a lot of fun. That’s the key here: it’s just tremendous entertainment. It’s all so well put together, the solutions to challenges smartly hinted at. Often a bonus item will be visible, and it’s in figuring out how to reach it that you’ll uncover how to progress to the next ledge too. The levels are designed with real finesse.

John Walker said:
It’s fabulous. A real treat, and at fourteen levels it’s plenty long enough too. I’ve played them all at least twice, some of them six or seven times, and am plenty keen to go back to try again. I suggest you do the same.

I had already bought the PC version but haven't jumped in yet. Now I'm even more eager to.

aristotle

YianGaruga said:
Responses like this make me think the stuttering does not happen to everyone. It is so pronunced on my system, I can't imagine someone not noticing it. Like it only happens on specific configurations, specific PS3 models or something.

Also the PS3 version seems to have a lot of bugs related to trophies not installing, not unlocking etc.

Since there was a guy form Eidos in this thread at some point, it would be awesome to get a response to this.

That's what I'm thinking as well. My trophies worked perfectly the first time installing it. I've had no issues whatsoever.

Decado

Is there a better version between the PS3 and 360?

My PC isn't hooked up to my HDTV/controllers so that's out of the question.

Psy-Phi

YianGaruga said:

Could be HDD related. Either the one the system comes with has problems, or specific models (I'm sure they used different ones through the years) have problems. Then the custom HDD's low RPM or small cache's.

Who knows whats behind it. Without further info from people that report the issue and those that say they don't have it we won't ever truly know. But I suspect it's something related to the hardware.

Finished getting all the achievements. Really great game. I hope online co-op is patched into the PC version soon.

and what is the deal with the final two weapons? they don't seem very good

Alex

I tried the Steam demo, that was way better than I was expecting it to be. I've never found Tomb Raider to be anything grand but that certainly had potential to be. I'll nab it with a friend when the co-op patch hits.

This games shines at 1920x1200 4xAA and 60FPS

Yup, good port.

Brofist

Decado said:
Is there a better version between the PS3 and 360?

My PC isn't hooked up to my HDTV/controllers so that's out of the question.
If the PC is out and you have no controller or online service bias, then I would probably always default to the 360 version for these multiplatform games.

Psy-Phi said:
Could be HDD related. Either the one the system comes with has problems, or specific models (I'm sure they used different ones through the years) have problems. Then the custom HDD's low RPM or small cache's.

Who knows whats behind it. Without further info from people that report the issue and those that say they don't have it we won't ever truly know. But I suspect it's something related to the hardware.
Exactly what I was thinking. The thing is, I tested the game on 2 systems, one brand new 320GB Slim with stock HDD and one older model with a 250GB WD drive I put in myself and both had the problem.

I shot CD an email, but I doubt they care about the PS3 version at all.

One thing I'd still like to see is a gameplay recording of someone who says he has no stutering so I can compare it to my experience.

After playing the demo I immediately bought the demo. Fun little game - I have to admit I hardly knew anything about it, how long is it, for instance?

I did not notice any dramatic stuttering (launch PS3)

mclem

swordfishtrombones said:
After playing the demo I immediately bought the demo. Fun little game - I have to admit I hardly knew anything about it, how long is it, for instance

14 levels, most being 30 minutes to an hour on first playthrough plus lots of replayability.

When I was familiarising myself with the game I spent over two hours just replaying the first level.

mclem said:
14 levels, most being 30 minutes to an hour on first playthrough plus lots of replayability.

When I was familiarising myself with the game I spent over two hours just replaying the first level.

Thanks for the info! I already found myself collecting every single skull and other shiny things in the first level, so this game should keep me busy for the rest of the week.

EDIT: OK, the second level has more stuttering. Walking through a particular region with burning trucks and lots of light sources gave a frame drop every second or so. For the rest it is better.

Baha

Anybody get their DS3 working with the PC version? I have the drivers installed and it works fine in calibration but in the options menu, gamepads are disabled and I can't enable them.

I had been waiting until I could play this in co-op with a buddy of mine, and I finally got to do just that this weekend. He's a rather casual gamer, whereas I take gaming a lot more seriously, but we were both extremely impressed. I swear within 5 seconds we were both having fun. This game "feels" amazing. Liquid-smooth control and clever puzzles that require cooperation to solve make for an awesome experience. I highly recommend this game to anyone who has any doubts. For $15 it's an absolute steal.

I finally bought the game since I had a buddy over and we tried the demo together. We played straight from 10PM to 4AM. :lol What a fantastic game.

Sadly, there isn't much competition on the PS3 leaderboards, we relatively easily got 1st place in the time rankings on levels 1-5. Perfecting the coreography of running through the levels and shaving off seconds with really creative strategies was a lot of fun.

Can somebody list the top times in multiplayer of the 360 leaderboards? I'd guess they are a bit more competitive. It would be much appreciated.

Blizzard

Banned
Blablurn said:
hey pc gamers, how do you play the game? with the keyboard or with a controller?
I have gone through half or so with keyboard and mouse so far. I like being able to point and click with the targeting thing. I might do 360 controller if they ever get co-op implemented.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can't remember aiming being that important, especially with the powerups that make you guns shoot more bullets/scattershot. I do remember platforming being quite important.

derFeef

Mr_Zombie said:
Kb + mouse. Aiming with mouse is a lot easier and faster than it is when using a controller.
It really plays better with controller. M+KB is just not as fluid and the reticle is ugly as well. Aiming is no issue as you don´t have to land headshots or such ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Question: Is this game still enjoyable without co-op? I've been interested in this since it was first revealed, but I wont be playing anything other than single player.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
Question: Is this game still enjoyable without co-op? I've been interested in this since it was first revealed, but I wont be playing anything other than single player.
Yeah, I have only been able to play singleplayer so far and it's still in my top 3 games of the year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I have only been able to play singleplayer so far and it's still in my top 3 games of the year.

Aaand bought.

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
Definitively. The controls are great, the graphics are sweet (especially on PC). Doing the challanges and hunting everything down has also been satisfying so far. Plus it has a great atmosphere and sense of "Tomb Raiding".

bluehat9

I've given up trying to get the trophies to work on ps3. Going to psn and redownloading the 6kb key was getting them to load and unlock, but now no matter what I do, the game just won't move to the top of the game trophy list when I start it. Sometimes it freezes if I try to select "Continue" from level select too.

Oh well, game itself is still great.

YianGaruga said:
Exactly what I was thinking. The thing is, I tested the game on 2 systems, one brand new 320GB Slim with stock HDD and one older model with a 250GB WD drive I put in myself and both had the problem.

I shot CD an email, but I doubt they care about the PS3 version at all.

One thing I'd still like to see is a gameplay recording of someone who says he has no stutering so I can compare it to my experience.

Not sure if this would be related at all but I did have a major stuttering issue when I first played on 360. I was playing with my girlfriend and we both chose different places to save our games, I saved mine to the USB I have all my saves on and she saved to the 360 hard drive.

As a result the game stalled every single time there was a checkpoint, it was really annoying. I quickly figured out the issue and changed my storage to the hard drive and had zero issues.

Obviously it's probably not the exact same issue but it could be related some how.

Massa

Always-honest said:
okay.. seems like the 360 version is the better choice on consoles?

Damn.. i have the better friends on ps3...

Try the demo, the PS3 version works fine for me. I notice no stuttering or framerate issues.

Good to pop back into this thread and see more people enjoying this game. I really respected the game's goal to redefine what is possible and fun in a overly-grounded genre - the diablo-esque. They proved it doesn't necessarily have to be about the random loot or the constant mobs.

EatChildren

Well, it's as awesome as I expected. Exactly where the Tomb Raider franchise should be, in my opinion. Very pretty as well.

PC controls are arse though, which is a shame. I'm going to have to play with the key configuration as the default it seems more of an afterthought.

Blizzard

Banned
EatChildren said:
Well, it's as awesome as I expected. Exactly where the Tomb Raider franchise should be, in my opinion. Very pretty as well.

PC controls are arse though, which is a shame. I'm going to have to play with the key configuration as the default it seems more of an afterthought.
Which keys in particular give you trouble? The 360 scheme is probably better (and I played in Tomb Raider Underworld with the 360 controller since it worked better than mouselook), but it seemed to work pretty well for me. Bear in mind that by default, some actions may have multiple ways to do them. You can roll balls and pull things with the middle mouse button, for instance.

EatChildren

Seemed a bit stupid to use caps for the bomb dropping. Didn't realise middle mouse was an alternative alt, so I'll have to give that a try. Not a big fan of the WASD as it seems like the game was designed specifially for analogue control, though I much prefer the mouse aiming.

It controls fine, I just need to fiddle with it so I'm comfortable, and can imagine it feeling a bit better with a pad.

bought it on PSn. I like it a lot. Very addictive. Not too hard, but just nice to play.
Trine was a disappointment to me. But this is a very pleasant surprise.

Thanx for the hype Gaf.

also: perfect for dual analog

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
EatChildren said:

Keep in mind, with the default WASD key layout, they made it so you can accomplish some of the harder button tasks, such as holding down grapple while jumping and moving... as well as being able to hold down interact and move a boulder. If you start moving those keys around, you may find it harder to hold down the key with your thumb or pinky while still being able to use jump/interact/grapple.

Middle mouse is definitely a good option though, and you can map it. I think they made the default layout so it would work for people who don't have middle mouse buttons (believe it or not some people still don't).

GWX

I made some changes and now I can finally play with the keyboard being able to use all functions... I had some troubles with the default setting, and I don't like to use my middle button that much. I wish it recognized the side buttons of my mouse, though.

Excellent game, playing it SP/MP alternately. I think I'm at the tenth stage or something.
The Jaws of Death is AWESOME, I replayed it a lot (still can't knock out all the enemies in the columns)

Always-honest said:
bought it on PSn. I like it a lot. Very addictive. Not too hard, but just nice to play.
Trine was a disappointment to me. But this is a very pleasant surprise.

Thanx for the hype Gaf.

also: perfect for dual analog

Cool, I'll bite today or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom