• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PS3/PC) GOTY |OT| - CONTEST OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
TheSeks said:
They could've made that more apparent, but yeah... I stumbled onto that weirdly.
You guys are going to have fun in the spider tomb.

kylej

Banned
I started playing this tonight and am absolutely in love. I'm so happy that one of my favorite franchises has made a comeback this gen.

kylej said:
I started playing this tonight and am absolutely in love. I'm so happy that one of my favorite franchises has made a comeback this gen.

technically "tomb raider" is still not really critically acclaimed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The "rings" for grappling really don't stand out very well at all, That's one of my major gripes with it so far.

Having said that though. There was a section in the first stage where i used the stick (i have seriously lost what it's called in my brain) to climb up a wall. You can impale 4 at any time, so i created a set of stairs. Once i got up to the top i noticed the ring sitting up there and another on top of the wall to the right, where a health pack upgrade thing was.

It made me feel smart for figuring it out another way but also dumb because i couldn't see the blood rings :lol

I will definitely put some more time into it this weekend :D

kylej

Banned
Earl Cazone said:
technically "tomb raider" is still not really critically acclaimed.

pssh, who cares what reviewers think. Lara has gone from Angel of Darkness to Anniversary & Guardian of Light. I'm happy.

TripOpt55

I'm just about finished the game. I think I have two levels left. Such a great game. Can't wait to go back and try to find the stuff I missed and try the time trials.

legend166

I bought the game a couple of days ago on Steam and used the Gamespot code to get it early.

amir0x hyperbole aside, it's a really great game. Only thing that's annoyed me has been grappling onto the rings and then trying to repel down a wall seems to not work around 30% of the time. I'll get to the edge and the grapple will disconnect.

Just finished the game tonight on PS3! Other than some framerate woes (not many) the game is fantastic! Seriously, other companies could learn a lot from what they did with this old franchise! I hope we see some stuff similar to this soon!!!!!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I finished the game the other day and began cleaning up the challenges. Game was fucking excellent. It was easily as satisfying as Anniversary which is the best of the modern Tomb Raiders in my book. I really hope they continue doing side stories like this where they have complete creative freedom. I figure a real TR will drop next year and then a sequel to this in 2012.

Great game.

There's a room I can't figure the solution of though. It's a spinning ball that you have to bomb in order to release it and then (or so I assumed) bomb again to make it leap up on the main room where it would fit into one of those fire pits...

I must have tried 50 times but it never goes up high enough, even with all the bomb upgrades and the power bomb (full relic bar). It really bothers me as I managed all the other "bomb and launch the ball" puzzles and I don't see any workaround.

It's set in toxic swamp I think since there are some of those exploding plants.

Diebuster

BaronLundi said:
Great game.

There's a room I can't figure the solution of though. It's a spinning ball that you have to bomb in order to release it and then (or so I assumed) bomb again to make it leap up on the main room where it would fit into one of those fire pits...

I must have tried 50 times but it never goes up high enough, even with all the bomb upgrades and the power bomb (full relic bar). It really bothers me as I managed all the other "bomb and launch the ball" puzzles and I don't see any workaround.

It's set in toxic swamp I think since there are some of those exploding plants.

Is it the challenge tomb? I had trouble there too.

There's a trio of exploding plants - roll the ball into them so it's surrounded and the explosion will shoot it right up, no bomb needed.

derFeef

Game is really great. Played the frist two levels and a little bit of the third. I convinved two other people to buy this, so I am looking forward to some coop (please, hurry CD!). Game looks ace on the PC and runs really smooth. Altough - M+KB controls are kind of clunky, (360) controller is the way to go.

What I find funny is that I missed a LOT of stuff the first two levels and I really took my time with them. Awesome treasure hunting is awesome.

Diebuster said:
Is it the challenge tomb? I had trouble there too.

There's a trio of exploding plants - roll the ball into them so it's surrounded and the explosion will shoot it right up, no bomb needed.

Thanks a lot mate ! I remember trying
plants + bombs numerous times, and since it didn't work it never crossed my mind that plants alone would do the job :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fuuuuuuck

I was just wrapping up an epic high score run of toxic swamp. I had been at it 2 hours because you have to be so freaking careful to not get hit once by projectiles or gas... and then it crashed.

Lumine

Aw damnit this pisses me off. Suddenly noticed the game wasn't in my Steam list anymore, even though it was all week since I pre-purchased it. Then it suddenly says my Steam account has been disabled. I check my e-mail and I noticed Steam is charging 30 euro's through click&buy instead of the 15 that it costs and the balance on my bank account is currently just short of the 30. I sent the bastards an e-mail, but who knows how long that'll take. Awkward too considering all the money I already spent on Steam. I was about to go play this co-op at a friend's place too as it's supposed to activate soon. :(

YYZ

Does this game allow me to play with a friend who has the 360 version or is that only for GWF Live specific titles?

Carm

Stallion Free said:
Steam is re-downloading the game since it released officially today :lol

I will be sad if it didn't keep my saves though :(

Looks like it was patched. The mouse aiming reticle doesn't come up now after leaving menus, tutorial pop ups or cut scenes for me. With that said, either they wiped the entire leaderboard or the patch, if it was patched, deleted me from the leaderboard. :(

Odd way to patch if it was though, good thing it's only 2 gigs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Carm said:
Odd way to patch if it was though, good thing it's only 2 gigs.
Oh boy, we might have another Company of Heroes situation on our hands if it does that for patching. Fortunately, it has like no issues beyond (holla at it being fixed so fast aka almost no one will end up encountering it because it was tricky figuring out the pre-order-demo-unlock-full-game thing) so I don't see any real need for patches in the future.

derFeef

Loving this game so far, only in level 5 but it continues to surprise me with it´s variety. Also digging the atmosphere and music. Awesome game with not enough attention. Online coop should be in though :(

Wow. Just got the game a couple hours ago on the PS3 and I can't put it down. Fucking excellent work Crystal Dynamics. So arcadey and awesome.

kadotsu

Banned
This game is fucking beautiful on PC. Cannot wait for online Co-op and additional content. I also have the strong desire for a Diablo like by CD in the Lara Croft engine.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Oh boy, we might have another Company of Heroes situation on our hands if it does that for patching. Fortunately, it has like no issues beyond (holla at it being fixed so fast aka almost no one will end up encountering it because it was tricky figuring out the pre-order-demo-unlock-full-game thing) so I don't see any real need for patches in the future.
Well, there's the multiplayer co-op patch, and then the DLC patches right?

And you bring up a good point. Whatever method they used to package the game consists of a TWO GIGABYTE GIANT CHUNK OF A FILE and a few other files, so every single patch may involve replacing the whole file, unless they figure out some way to do partial-file patches. That's my best guess, at least.

By the way, Stallion, I posted this in the official thread if you want to try backing up your save file: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23586933&postcount=682

(side note, are we using that thread, or both threads, to discuss? :p)

So am I correct to understand that the 360 coop patch is not launching today nor is there an expected day?

That seems really unprofessional if true.

TheExodu5

Banned
I guess I posted the screen in the wrong thread...didn't realize there was a PS3/PC thread.

Game looks great, IMO:
tr2.png

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I guess I posted the screen in the wrong thread...didn't realize there was a PS3/PC thread.
I thought this thread was just for the contest which is now over, but they both have |OT| so I'm just confused. :lol

I agree that the game looks good, and once I turned the AA down to 4x from 8x, it runs well on my 5850. I think one place where there were lots of trees at the start of the level was one of the only places to be noticeably jerky, aside from one boss fight where there might have been a hard disk/external program issue that made it jerky for me the first time I played it. Here are a couple of pictures that hopefully look decent and are not too spoilery.

lcgol2010-09-2522-04-1uqo6.jpg

lcgol2010-09-2517-52-0pr25.jpg

For some reason, some of the game (tombs/cliffs?) remind me of Prince of Persia games, and that's a good thing to me. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
By the way, Stallion, I posted this in the official thread if you want to try backing up your save file: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23586933&postcount=682

(side note, are we using that thread, or both threads, to discuss? :p)
Yeah, good look posting that in here since there will definitely be PC users in here wondering about that. I figure since this thread is specifically PC I might as well post in here because I am playing this exclusively on PC like you.

I tried out the demo because of this topic, which i would not have normally. The demo was GREAT. Totally didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Especially since I'm not really a huge fan of the tomb raider series, but i can not deny a good game when i see one. Definitly want to purchase but i just dont know when. Now or when online goes live? Looks funner with co op.

I am VERY curious as to who the "popular" DLC characters are going to be?

Vorg

Banned
Edit: Nvm, just read this on their twitter:

"Online co-op for 360 isn't coming today I'm afraid. It's not long to go though, we'll give you more info as soon as possible."

uhhhhhh, why is Steam downloading all 2+ gigs of this game again? I've been playing it for the past few days.

what in the fuck

I'm gonna be pissed if this somehow affects my progress

Vorg

Banned
SalsaShark said:
4 hours in with a friend, so much fun :D Amirox was right.

I agree. After almost finishing the game on my own, I tried it with a friend. Completely different experience. The game is decent solo, but with a friend it's a blast.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Stuttering was a huge turn off for me (PS3 ver). I downloaded the demo assuming I was going to buy it regardless but now I'm not sure anymore.

*Hates being so sensible to graphical hiccups*

burgerdog

TTP said:
Stuttering was a huge turn off for me (PS3 ver). I downloaded the demo assuming I was going to buy it regardless but now I'm not sure anymore.

*Hates being so sensible to graphical hiccups*

Buy the 360 or PC version.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Played the Trial. Very good game. Fun game. But I'm not buying into the major hype and love for it though.

It doesn't seem that spectacular.

But I'll reserve judgement for when I've played through the full game.

Curufinwe

Stuttering, eh?. I was going to get the PS3 version since I have two PS3 pads and I wanted to play with my wife, but I should get another 360 pad anyway.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
epmode said:
Luckily there is a solution for people like you: Gaming PC

Comfy couch inc.

I'm not gonna upgrade my old PC just to play this game, I'm not going to go Gold and I like my games on the system I use the most. I'm stuck! Oh well, don't really want to start a discussion about this. Just saying PS3 stutters. So you know.

Besides, compensating sloppy programming with purchasing more powerful hardware or changing my habits is not my thing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! What a great game. I had this pre-ordered on Steam, but just got around to playing it now. I've only done the first two levels solo so far, but it is a ton of fun to play. I have a feeling I'll be going back to try and complete challenges after I complete the game.

The game is really polished and it also looks and runs really damn good on my PC. I love the seamless control switching between Keyboard / Mouse and Xbox 360 Controller, too.

Curufinwe

Anyone else have the same stuttering issues on the PS3? I need to finally get this game on the 360 or PS3 this weekend.

Curufinwe said:
Anyone else have the same stuttering issues on the PS3? I need to finally get this game on the 360 or PS3 this weekend.
I have the same stuttering issues on PS3 and it's the only thing keeping me from buying the game. I can't play the demo without noticing it all the time. It became even worse when I tried the 360 demo in comparison, which runs silky smooth.

There are people here who same the framerate is fine though, so ymmv depending on how sensitive you are to this type of stuttering. I can't stand it.

aristotle

I never noticed the stuttering, but I only played the first level. I was of the lucky few who got the gamespot code though. Maybe the stuttering is on the other language versions? I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom