• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PS3/PC) GOTY |OT| - CONTEST OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kai3345 said:
hey now :(

it was a good shooter
Yeah and that's it. Cover-based 3rd person shooter would not translate as well as TR did to this format without losing alot of what makes people like the game.

Just finished the demo (PS3). I liked it. Combat works better than I thought it would and the puzzles seemed alright (sure they get harder later in the game). Also liked the challenges throughout the level.

Framerate feels like its always hovering around 30 but maybe not consistently 30 for an extended period, not bad or anything. Don't think it had any screen tearing.

Might not pick it up immediately but I probably will later.

Clutch Johnson

Neo Member
Amir0x said:
There is this one co-op puzzle late in the game that I just wish I could describe here without spoiling one of the games best moments. It involves lots of lava and flaming raptors or some shit, and when I figured out the solution (and then pulled it off) the entire time all I could do was sit in the corner and giggle to myself like some hyper school girl saying "holy fuck THAT IS THE COOLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A GAME. EVER."

Shit like that is why this game is a masterpiece.

Amir0x said:
one co-op puzzle in particular is one which I consider the greatest single puzzle this generation, and one of the best of all time

it's not that it's incredibly difficult, it's that it's an expression of pure joy, the cleverness of it all would blow anyone away. If only for that specific puzzle, I hope everyone tries co-op through once.

Amir0x said:
you know how cynical I am, brandonh83. At first, me and my brother in law couldn't immediately figure out the solution. But we got what we had to do in under a minute. It was the execution that had me giggling like some overgrown school girl. It was so clever, so absolutely amazingly fun to actually do, that I still can't stop thinking about it. The entire game is super fun and despite the easiness of it mostly all the puzzles have that clever whip to it, but this puzzle specifically was just outrageously awesome.

Amir0x said:
That room in solo also has a puzzle, but it is significantly different and is nowhere near as clever as this one. And it'd be impossible to match the cleverness of it alone, trust me. The amazing joy you get it from it is completely dependent on the puzzle being done cooperatively. It's not something that could even be done alone. Even if you hate co-op play, I can't imagine you wouldn't at least admire what they achieved with it.

It literally is on par with anything Nintendo has done, imo. I mean that as the highest compliment.

Amir0x said:
Without spoiling anything with how it's done, it involves lots of lava, flaming raptors, flaming floors, flaming borders all the while you or your partners life is completely dependent on what the other person is doing for success or DEATH

I'm glad to see this puzzle has found a fan. It's always been my favorite :)

derFeef

Finally tried the PC demo yesterday night. Wow, looks reeeally nice. I said it before but I like how Lara looks and moves here, gives me the right "Tomb Raider" feeling, even if it´s nothing like it.

Cels

Speevy said:
Framerate seems fine to me.

Agreed. PS3 framerate seems fine, but I'm not qualitatively measuring FPS like those guys over at DigitalFoundry do. Maybe it IS "consistently lower" but I am not seeing any impact in gameplay.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I bought Underworld just because of this game. Now I gotta sit down and finish Anni and start and finish Underworld before playing this one. It's only fair. :lol

Finally got my hands on a PS3 demo and before I comment on the game, how can anybody say the framerate is fine? It stutters so often you really can't miss it. Downloading 360 demo right now to compare..

As for the game, I think I can understand now where the hype is coming from. Gameplay is really fast and fluid and the challenge/reward system is perfect. Will probably buy it today, just want to see if the 360 demo is significantly better first.

Also, was there something about (timed-)exclusive DLC for the 360 or something?

EDIT: Tried the 360 demo, waaaaay better framerate.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Galanthas said:
That's great news! Also, it seems some are already cheating on the PC leaderboards. Unless that is a tester cheating heh. Hopefully you guys are diligent in removing cheaters from the boards.

Yep, we will be.

Man, I was really looking forward to this, but now that I hear that the there's no date for the PS3 online patch (I thought it was going to ship online for PS3/PC) and PS3 has framerate issues, I'm torn. Guess I'll have to wait to try the demo on Tuesday to decide, but I probably won't bite until the patch is out. I am sad :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
heringer said:
This game is awesome. Too bad I'll probably be done with it when they release the online co-op.

Keep in mind, about half the puzzles in the game change when playing co-op, sometimes drastically, so it's a fresh experience going through the game again.

S1lent

ThirstyFly said:
Man, I was really looking forward to this, but now that I hear that the there's no date for the PS3 online patch (I thought it was going to ship online for PS3/PC) and PS3 has framerate issues, I'm torn. Guess I'll have to wait to try the demo on Tuesday to decide, but I probably won't bite until the patch is out. I am sad :(

Yeah, this is the first I'm hearing of this. Why is online not launching on the 28th anymore?

Amir0x

Banned
Today is the last day of the contest, by the way.

Tomorrow, everyone who has entered will be thrown into a hat and I'll pick it out at random.

ALSO, if you entered but did not shoot me a PM, please do so. I don't want to accidentally miss putting you into contention.

Once the winner is picked, it'll be two weeks before delivery. I'll give you the code for your PSN Points or your XBLA Points two weeks from this Saturday.

Anyway, good luck everyone!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fuck, this game looks so good on PC. I love the Underworld engine. The lava levels look spectacular.
Downsampled from 1080p/8xAA.

lcgol2010-09-2414-51-0go1p.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Fuck, this game looks so good on PC. I love the Underworld engine. The lava levels look spectacular.
Downsampled from 1080p/8xAA.
So just to make sure I understand...the reason some people can play the whole game is that GameSpot gave out some Steam unlock code for the whole game, giving the game away for free, to a few lucky people until they fixed the glitch?

If there's some legal way for me to play the game that'd be nice. I'm stuck waiting for the Steam unlock. ;_;

Gribbix

Blizzard said:
So just to make sure I understand...the reason some people can play the whole game is that GameSpot gave out some Steam unlock code for the whole game, giving the game away for free, to a few lucky people until they fixed the glitch?

If there's some legal way for me to play the game that'd be nice. I'm stuck waiting for the Steam unlock. ;_;
There were no issues with the Steam version. If you have a demo key, then you can buy the full game now and it will unlock immediately. No need to wait until the 28th. I don't know if Gamespot is still giving out keys for the Steam version, but here's the link:
http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/lara-croft-pc/

Blizzard

Banned
Gribbix said:
There were no issues with the Steam version. If you have a demo key, then you can buy the full game now and it will unlock immediately. No need to wait until the 28th. I don't know if Gamespot is still giving out keys for the Steam version, but here's the link:
http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/lara-croft-pc/
What I mean is, I already preordered the game, and I'm waiting for the unlock on Steam. If I get a demo code, it will unlock my FULL game? That's kinda weird. :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:

You understand completely wrong, you are thinking of the PS3 version. I fucking love Crystal Dynamics and have double dipped on 2/3 of their Tomb Raiders and would never exploit shit to get a game of their's for free.

Gribbix

Blizzard said:
What I mean is, I already preordered the game, and I'm waiting for the unlock on Steam. If I get a demo code, it will unlock my FULL game? That's kinda weird. :/
Yep. Since you've already pre-purchased it, you can input a demo key and it'll unlock the full game. It's not a glitch:
Sign up now to reserve your key for the Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light early access PC Demo. Following the demo you will be given access to purchase Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and play prior to the official release!

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
You understand completely wrong, you are thinking of the PS3 version. I fucking love Crystal Dynamics and have double dipped on 2/3 of their Tomb Raiders and would never exploit shit to get a game of their's for free.
Well if you did get the game for free I wouldn't blame you, since it's just a fault of the distributor, presumably. I am sorry if my comment was offensive. I just didn't understand about the demo early access thing, I'll have to see if they are still giving codes now.

It just seemed funny to me that people who got special access to the DEMO got to play the full game, but people who had already decided to buy the full game to support Crytal Dynamics etc. don't get to play it until the official release date. :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
It just seemed funny to me that people who got special access to the DEMO got to play the full game, but people who had already decided to buy the full game to support Crytal Dynamics etc. don't get to play it until the official release date. :p
Uh I supported them by getting the demo so that I could pre-order the game as soon as possible as that's where pre-order first became available.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Uh I supported them by getting the demo so that I could pre-order the game as soon as possible as that's where pre-order first became available.
I didn't know when preorder first became available since I was out of the loop, so I just preordered it on Steam. ;_;

SUPPORT 2: SUPPORT HARDER Anyway, no hard feelings, I just thought it would be nice if preorderers could play (and we can, without even playing the demo!)

Thanks Gribbix, you rock! I entered the demo code, and though it doesn't give me access to the demo since I own the game on Steam, it let me start installing it. (I thought I was getting 1.5 MB/s download rates but Steam is apparently just lying on the speed bar thing)

Amir0x

Banned
Well I just put all the names into a hat and drew the winner out. I had an accompanying video, but I accidentally filmed it in super low resolution, so it's ugly and unintelligible.

But I snapped a pic of the winner anyway...

...AND THE WINNER IS...

WINNRAR.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gribbix said:
Yep. Since you've already pre-purchased it, you can input a demo key and it'll unlock the full game. It's not a glitch:
Yup, I had it preordered and it just unlocked it for me! Woooo!

In fact, that's all it did. There is no demo on my games list.

:O at that PC screenshot. Now I want :[

Oh, and congrats allegate! Enjoy the game, you'll have a blast! And thanks Amir0x for running the contest!

Kolgar

Thanks to Gamestop, played both PS3 and PC demos today. I think my little laptop provided better performance, but damn, the game looks and plays great, period.

Will also try the 360 demo tonight. One thing I know: I'm buying this game and looking forward to it like few games this year.

Dice

Dang, I can't find the 4th powerup on the 2nd level. I feel like I've searched every inch of the place.

genjiZERO

so I got a question. I haven't played a Tomb Raider since TR3 which I though was pretty crap. I really loved TR1 (and to a slightly lesser extent) 2. What I liked about those two games was the sense of vast emptiness. I really liked that the fighting was fairly sparse. Actually, I had "ethical" problems with the fighting because I always thought it was fucked up that you were killing all of these animals - most of which were endangered, believed extinct, or undiscovered - just to you could obtain some artifact. But I digress. Anyway, my question is: does this latest iteration have that same sense of exploring empty vaulted tombs or does it eschew this in favour of action and fighting?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Glad i got the gamespot code just then. Downloading on steam as i type :D

I had no idea how it worked and if it was still working until i read someones post in here, thanks :D

Dice

Whew, found it. I also happened to get 8th on the leaderboards. :lol

genjiZERO said:
so I got a question. I haven't played a Tomb Raider since TR3 which I though was pretty crap. I really loved TR1 (and to a slightly lesser extent) 2. What I liked about those two games was the sense of vast emptiness. I really liked that the fighting was fairly sparse. Actually, I had "ethical" problems with the fighting because I always thought it was fucked up that you were killing all of these animals - most of which were endangered, believed extinct, or undiscovered - just to you could obtain some artifact. But I digress. Anyway, my question is: does this latest iteration have that same sense of exploring empty vaulted tombs or does it eschew this in favour of action and fighting?
Watch any video of it you can find. This is not a Tomb Raider game. It's an isometric action puzzle game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Gribbix said:

Woooooohooooo. Works like a charm <3

Thanks guys :D

Dice

Speed runs are amazing. There is so much stuff you just don't actually have to bother with but it feels so crazy to just run through and get the hell out of there with it all going on at once.

TheSeks

Stallion Free said:
>>Underworld Engine<<

Explains the framerate on the PS3 verison. Not that the PS3 version of Underworld is a bad port, but man the framerate/stutters is a bit hit/miss. Maybe it's my copy of the game, though. :/

TheSeks said:
Explains the framerate on the PS3 verison. Not that the PS3 version of Underworld is a bad port, but man the framerate/stutters is a bit hit/miss. Maybe it's my copy of the game, though. :/
I'm having the same problems and had the same problems with Underworld. The engine just isn't optimized for PS3 AT ALL.

TheSeks

YianGaruga said:
I'm having the same problems and had the same problems with Underworld. The engine just isn't optimized for PS3 AT ALL.

Yeah, they're not bad games. But they could use less stuttering.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Played through first three levels in co-op last night. It was very good, aside the production and animation issues I outlined in the other thread that betray the game as a budget release. Controls feel good for this kind of game after a while, even though I still think they could be better.

The best aspect is definitely the co-op which really plays out like a true cooperative experience where players have to help each other in various imaginative ways, and it was always satisfying when we succeeded. The worst aspect is that the sense of adventure is somehow completely missing, which I guess is par for the course after Underworld, but still disappointing. The shooting aspect is hugely prominent in the game and it's serviceable but nowhere near as enjoyable as co-op shenanigans.

Stallion Free said:
Yeah and that's it. Cover-based 3rd person shooter would not translate as well as TR did to this format without losing alot of what makes people like the game.
That's not just 'it', but I'd rather not go there. Important thing is that this plays nothing like a typical Tomb Raider either. There tons and tons of shooting here, and the best part of it, the co-op, has never even been in the series. If anything, this gave them ability to diversify gameplay a bit in ways they normally wouldn't do. Nothing should be stopping other games from trying the same.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lord Error said:
That's not just 'it', but I'd rather not go there. Important thing is that this plays nothing like a typical Tomb Raider either. There tons and tons of shooting here, and the best part of it, the co-op, has never even been in the series. If anything, this gave them ability to diversify gameplay a bit in ways they normally wouldn't do. Nothing should be stopping other games from trying the same.
The core of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is the puzzles and platforming. It's the core of any Tomb Raider game as well. They can drop the Tomb Raider from the title if they want, but it is still distinctly a Tomb Raider game.

Just beat the final boss, it was exhilarating if a bit on the easy side.

Awesome, awesome game. Definitely will be returning to it once Online-Coop is up.

TheSeks

SenorDingDong said:
Well that's frustrating. I can't progress beyond a certain stage in the first level as it continually crashes as I scale the final wall in the scene where multiple platforms push out just after a spike pit.

Grapple when you can't throw the spear anymore to get up

They could've made that more apparent, but yeah... I stumbled onto that weirdly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom