• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (PS3/PC) GOTY |OT| - CONTEST OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

Microsoft bans people for exploiting obvious mistakes like this. I'd be very wary of actually trying to get the game for free on purpose...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Clipper said:
Microsoft bans people for exploiting obvious mistakes like this. I'd be very wary of actually trying to get the game for free on purpose...
While I definitely understand, for someone like me, I was fully expecting a demo. I never went in with the intent to get the full game for nothing. Of course it makes you feel less entitled but at this point I am just excited to try the game. Hopefully the guys at the studio can get at least the funds from the codes to them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Clipper said:

QQ more.

Gamespot and SCEA or Square fucked up. They gave us a code for a free full version. It's not our fault and if we get banned, I'll laugh my fucking ass off at how petty they are for not admitting/owning up to their mistake.

And I was going to buy it, but getting it for free is a nice turn of events. If it's as good as Amir0x says it is, I'll hype it like hell to whoever is interested

Clipper

LiquidMetal14 said:
While I definitely understand, for someone like me, I was fully expecting a demo. I never went in with the intent to get the full game for nothing. Of course it makes you feel less entitled but at this point I am just excited to try the game. Hopefully the guys at the studio can get at least the funds from the codes to them.
Given that the demo is so easy to get, I'd say you'll be safe. But I'd still recommend that nobody else do this in order to specifically exploit it. Things could get very ugly soon and those that start exploiting this now will only have themselves to blame if there are consequences.

LiquidMetal14 said:

well we can hardly be punished for something like this, I didn't download it knowing I would get the full game either, I've had the code since this morning but the PSN has been down all day and didn't redeem it until just a few hours ago.

Synless

Clipper said:
They don't ban people who collect thousands of gamerpoints or years of XBL. I can't see how this would be any different.

hamchan

So as long as I have the code I get the full game? It'll take me 5 hours until I get home and I have the code saved in my home computer.

EDIT: Oh and I will sorta feel bad if I do get it for free so I'll buy the steam version to make up for it.

Pooya

They can't ban anyone for this, people are just redeeming codes they are given to, there are no exploits or whatever, somebody is going to get sacked over at Square-Enix or SCEA. Gamespot is just giving away the codes S-E gave them, it's not their mistake.

Wallach said:
Anyone need one of the PS3 codes? I got one on accident when trying to get a PC code. Quote me and I'll PM it.

Please, please.

EDIT: Poop, beaten. Maybe we can set up a share account for multiple gaffers?

burgerdog

Uh, no one is exploiting shit here. People were given codes and they included the full game. Can't ban people for SE's mistake. Also, I have downloaded a ton of stuff from xbl when MS messes up and never got banned. Don't be scared, chief.

Vorg

Banned
This sucks. It's one of the best downloadable games in ages and a major fuck up like this happens. Something like this happened with Shadow Complex too, but at least in that case people weren't able to save the game.

Clipper

Synless said:
They don't ban people who collect thousands of gamerpoints or years of XBL. I can't see how this would be any different.
They did ban people that got these expansion card packs for a sports game (can't remember which) a while back, though. The trick seemed to involve you having a shoddy network connection, and then it would offer you the cards for free instead of at a price.

If the sign-up for the codes clearly indicates you should be receiving a demo and only a demo, then you can be held accountable if you exploit the system and download something you weren't meant to get with the coupon. I believe it is covered by the T&C and there could be very large repercussions because of it.

What you are doing is like if a person at the check out of a supermarket accidentally gave you a $20 note extra in your change. Even though it was their mistake, if you actually noticed this and didn't give it back, it's theft.

What I actually think will happen is a different thing. The game will probably get a forced update and all those exploiting the game now will be forced to buy the game to continue playing while online. That seems the fairest and easiest method to correct the mistake.

burgerdog

Clipper said:
They did ban people that got these expansion card packs for a sports game (can't remember which) a while back, though. The trick seemed to involve you having a shoddy network connection, and then it would offer you the cards for free instead of at a price.

If the sign-up for the codes clearly indicates you should be receiving a demo and only a demo, then you can be held accountable if you exploit the system and download something you weren't meant to get with the coupon. I believe it is covered by the T&C and there could be very large repercussions because of it.

What you are doing is like if a person at the check out of a supermarket accidentally gave you a $20 note extra in your change. Even though it was their mistake, if you actually noticed this and didn't give it back, it's theft.

What I actually think will happen is a different thing. The game will probably get a forced update and all those exploiting the game now will be forced to buy the game to continue playing while online. That seems the fairest and easiest method to correct the mistake.
Listen, it's not an exploit and no one's game is going to get altered in any way, shape, or form. Are you one of those super paranoid guys?

TheSeks

hamchan said:
So as long as I have the code I get the full game? It'll take me 5 hours until I get home and I have the code saved in my home computer.

EDIT: Oh and I will sorta feel bad if I do get it for free so I'll buy the steam version to make up for it.

Redeem it through Media Go. It'll be saved on your profile/PSN account so you can go into account history and download it when you get home.

Clipper said:

MS banned people for exploiting a shop glitch that was a SHOP GLITCH. This is a fuck-up/code-giving that packed the full game under that code. We didn't sign up for this. This isn't a glitch. Sony isn't going to ban people for this fuck up. We got lucky. Stop spreading FUD.

hamchan

Clipper said:

They can't do that. People aren't glitching the demo or anything like that. They literally gave users the unlock code, the same one people pay for. They can't undo that.

burgerdog

TheSeks said:
Redeem it through Media Go. It'll be saved on your profile/PSN account so you can go into account history and download it when you get home.

MS banned people for exploiting a shop glitch that was a SHOP GLITCH. This is a fuck-up/code-giving that packed the full game under that code. We didn't sign up for this. This isn't a glitch. Sony isn't going to ban people for this fuck up. We got lucky. Stop spreading FUD.
Seriously, what is up with this guy? Maybe he works for SE and is trying scare tactics. :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Clipper said:
Uh no.

It's not the first time the PSN store has fucked up and given something free.

In fact, this is like the 5th or 6th time that I can remember that a game was accidentally made free on the store.
And I got 3 or 4 of them, and they're all still in my download history to list to re-download should I ever need to.

Clipper

hamchan said:
They can't do that. People aren't glitching the demo or anything like that. They literally gave users the unlock code, the same one people pay for. They can't undo that.
Is the game purchasable yet? They can easily make the game require a patch to play and differentiate people that got one of these codes from those that buy the game for real on the launch date (which is still next week, right?).

Yes, if the game is purchasable via code already, I'll concede there's nothing they can do. And yes, I probably am paranoid on the matter, but I do prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

dallow_bg said:
In fact, this is like the 5th or 6th time that I can remember that a game was accidentally made free on the store.
And I got 3 or 4 of them, and they're all still in my download history to list to re-download should I ever need to.
OK, I wasn't aware of that. Seems like everything will turn out OK for everyone, both those that accidentally discovered they got the free game and those that are cheating the system. Trying to find one of these codes on purpose just to get the game for free still seems akin to piracy to me. Oh well, they'll still get my money at least.

TheSeks

Clipper said:
Is the game purchasable yet? They can easily make the game require a patch to play and differentiate people that got one of these codes from those that buy the game for real on the launch date (which is still next week, right?).

Yes, if the game is purchasable via code already, I'll concede there's nothing they can do. And yes, I probably am paranoid on the matter, but I do prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

The game is up on PSN for reviewers. The code was meant to be a demo. The US code is packed with the full game. Ergo, those codes are review codes. It's a fuck up, not a glitch.

Any time PSN has fucked up they have let users keep whatever they got for free from their fuck ups (pricing mistakes or anything like that), I should know. I have about 4-5 of them (some of them being for PS Home) on my download history when those full games were made free due to a pricing error/mistake for an hour they were up there.

People aren't going to get banned. And Square-Enix/Edios can't do shit about this as it's basically the retail version just not up for the public/masses in the public PSN space for another week.

shwimpy

miladesn said:
To those who finished DLing, Is the PS3 version sub-HD too?

Probably. It doesn't look as good as I thought it would.

Fun game though. Just beat the first level and will play the rest later on local co-op.

burgerdog

Clipper said:

OK, I wasn't aware of that. Seems like everything will turn out OK for everyone, both those that accidentally discovered they got the free game and those that are cheating the system. Trying to find one of these codes on purpose just to get the game for free still seems akin to piracy to me. Oh well, they'll still get my money at least.

There is absolutely nothing they can do now. How stubborn can you be? No one is going to get punished, the game is not going to get patched for users that got it free, and once again, it's not a glitch.

This is my last post concerning the matter, you truly don't get it.

Clipper said:

Most of us got the code long before it was known that you would get the full game as well.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So I know the free Tomb Raider: Legend was for the pre-purchase but is that still available? It still has that up on the Steam page but I'm not seeing it in my cart...Or will it appear after I buy GoL?

Volcynika

Jive Turkey said:
So I know the free Tomb Raider: Legend was for the pre-purchase but is that still available? It still has that up on the Steam page but I'm not seeing it in my cart...Or will it appear after I buy GoL?

Bonus games like that don't show in your cart.

hamchan

Jive Turkey said:

It'll probably appear after you buy it. If not, just put in a support ticket, they're pretty good about stuff like this. Also, I wish Anniversary was the gift, I already have Legend :(

Clipper said:

Everyone here is i'm sure is old enough to make their own decisions so let them. If you feel that you're "cheating the system" for a mistake that was on the developer/publisher side, fine-you're entitled to your own opinion but don't force it upon others.

And just for anyone who's curious it's dead/no longer working

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
miladesn said:
To those who finished DLing, Is the PS3 version sub-HD too?
If it's based on the same engine as underworld like x360 version is, then it's probably full 720p but the framerate will be worse.

Cels

I think that if you got the game for free due to this error and you like it you should definitely buy the DLC or something else from them just to show the developer some support - yea they messed up in giving out the full game instead of the demo and there's no legal onus on you to do so - it would just be a nice feel-good thing to do.

hamchan

PandaPandaPanda said:
Everyone here is i'm sure is old enough to make their own decisions so let them. If you feel that you're "cheating the system" for a mistake that was on the developer/publisher side, fine-you're entitled to your own opinion but don't force it upon others.

And just for anyone who's curious it's dead/no longer working

Getting the code or the code itself?

Baha

Do I have to wait for the PC demo to finish downloading before I can buy the game and play it right away or is the purchase feature unlocked the moment I used the PC demo code?

how do you even tell if it is the full version on PS3? trophies aren't showing up or anything

that said, I might still buy it on PC even if it is the full version. I played the PC demo first and this is one of those night and day cases for me. Never tried it on the 360.

bubnbob

Banned
Clipper said:

What exploit? The only instance of banning is the FIFA glitch from way back when. Nobody is getting banned for GameSpot's mistake.

shwimpy

Linkzg said:
how do you even tell if it is the full version on PS3? trophies aren't showing up or anything

I received a trophy during the first level. Make sure that the game installs trophies when it boots up.

Vorg

Banned
bubnbob said:
What exploit? The only instance of banning is the FIFA glitch from way back when. Nobody is getting banned for GameSpot's mistake.

It wasn't even Gamespot's mistake. It was Crystal Dynamic/Eidos/S-E who sent the codes. That makes the whole situation even more tragic.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Linkzg said:

that said, I might still buy it on PC even if it is the full version. I played the PC demo first and this is one of those night and day cases for me. Never tried it on the 360.
20100922-ta8qtsu1q6pu36m21knkduwqgp.jpg

That's the download key, make sure you install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom