• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large Youtubers Hide Ownership of CSGO Lottery Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Could?

Should.

You're right. They should, but will this still be the big story in a day or so? You know how this internet shit is. Will people not care?

Either way you're right. They still need to report on it because it's a thing that's happening and they are taking advantage of people.

Dennis

Banned
zhje1fk6_400x400iiueg.jpg

Cme84zEVIAEyr4n.jpg

#ded

Valve doesn't own any of those gambling sites, doesn't endorse them, and has no involvement with them whatsoever.
Those youtube guys are the owners of one of those gambling websites.

Can you really, really, really not see the difference? They are literally two completely different things.

The problem is nothing gets done unless you go after the people who can prevent it or enact legitimate change. It's why having a rule that stops suits, especially class action law suits against gun manufacturers for producing high capacity magazines, semi auto weapons etc is so problematic. Valve needs to be the target so they close the loopholes and make it so these websites cannot be run. Or it simply becomes a cycle of new gambling sites.

Xanathus

I'd rather you American guys actually file a complaint to the FTC rather than just tweet it to other youtube celebrities >_>

Matticers

I've been into the CoD youtube scene for years and years and I've never liked tmartn. He has always come off as a guy who will use all kinds of shady tactics to squeeze out a little more money for himself. So I can't say I'm surprised to see his name involved in this news.

I'd really be amazed if any of the Csgo lottery or gambling sites weren't rigged.

Lounge seems like the closest to legit since it's real matches in real legitimate events.

But then there's those z-tier Russian matches that aren't streamed

VariantX

I don't think he gets how badly he's fucked up here. He should be talking with his lawyer to see how bad this is and not making twitter post.

This. Especially when every one of those tweets can be saved and potentially used against him. He shouldn't be talking, publicly...like at all in any fashion without a lawyer.

Valve doesn't own any of those gambling sites, doesn't endorse them, and has no involvement with them whatsoever.
Those youtube guys are the owners of one of those gambling websites.

Can you really, really, really not see the difference? They are literally two completely different things.

They expanded their API to allow this, there was no reason to allow this to happen compared to those old TF2 backpack sites

Valve just lost to the Australian goverment, most of the world could sue Valve over this. Even more reason why Valve need a proper community manager to know what is happening in its communities rather then have 2-3 employees on reddit once a week

Fat4all

Banned
I'd rather you American guys actually file a complaint to the FTC rather than just tweet it to other youtube celebrities >_>

The people who were scammed are the ones who have to file the FTC complaints.

I just looked at the FTC complaint site, and you have to describe how etc etc scammed you, you can't represent another individual.

Xena

Haha, even after getting sued H3H3 still doesn't take shit from assholes on YouTube.

But wow, didn't know this existed at all. This is like a whole different side of gaming I never seen before, and it's quite scary how effective this illegal shit is.

Yep, same here. I learned a new thing today. I hope the government looks into this.

Boke1879

Looking at this scumbags twitter replies is pissing me off. He's acting like nothing has happened.

He really believes it. He believes since he went back and updated shit that he's cool. He really doesn't know how much he fucked up. He also probably thinks nothing will happen at all.

He really shouldn't be talking publicly because ALL this shit can be used against him. He can't feign ignorance.

MUnited83

For you.
The problem is nothing gets done unless you go after the people who can prevent it or enact legitimate change. It's why having a rule that stops suits, especially class action law suits against gun manufacturers for producing high capacity magazines, semi auto weapons etc is so problematic. Valve needs to be the target so they close the loopholes and make it so these websites cannot be run. Or it simply becomes a cycle of new gambling sites.

What loopholes? The ability of using trading on steam? I'd rather keep that instead of having it disabled because of fuckwits that should be sued by themselves. It's like trying to go after Wizards of the Coast because people can use their cards for betting on something. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

This. Especially when every one of those tweets can be saved and potentially used against him. He shouldn't be talking, publicly...like at all in any fashion without a lawyer.

The fact that he went back and updated all his videos with a warning about the CS Lotto website, as if nobody will know it wasn't there before, goes to show he doesn't have a fucking clue at all. He is in for a rude awakening.

What loopholes? The ability of using trading on steam? I'd rather keep that instead of having it disabled because of fuckwits that should be sued by themselves. It's like trying to go after Wizards of the Coast because people can use their cards for betting on something. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

My understanding is that Valve is leaving the floodgates open, when they could easily close them and prevent this from happening.

ar4757

So, how do we take this to court?

Not surprised seeing Tmartn and Syndicate in all honesty. Not that I thought they'd do something this bad. So messed up

HariKari

There will always be another TmarTn so long as Valve keeps allowing and endorsing this shit. Just once I'd like to see them take a stand and push aside the money.

MUnited83

For you.
They expanded their API to allow this, there was no reason to allow this to happen compared to those old TF2 backpack sites

Valve just lost to the Australian goverment, most of the world could sue Valve over this. Even more reason why Valve need a proper community manager to know what is happening in its communities rather then have 2-3 employees on reddit once a week

Valve lost in a suit about refunds, which have literally nothing to do with this.

My understanding is that Valve is leaving the floodgates open, when they could easily close them and prevent this from happening.
To "close" the floodgates, they would have to severely limit or kill steam trading. Which would be as dumb as making Wizards of the Coast having to make something to prevent people from use the cards they bought on whatever they want.

Fat4all

Banned
So, how do we take this to court?

Not surprised seeing Tmartn and Syndicate in all honesty. Not that I thought they'd do something this bad. So messed up

"We" don't, unfortunately. But I'm sure there are people out there seriously considering a class-action suit who were swayed by their bullshit videos, and that's not even counting what the FTC might do.

styl3s

I'd really be amazed if any of the Csgo lottery or gambling sites weren't rigged.

Lounge seems like the closest to legit since it's real matches in real legitimate events.

But then there's those z-tier Russian matches that aren't streamed
Wasn't there a big scandal awhile back about match fixing/throwing games and pro players sandbagging and being caught gambling on those games? Pretty sure some people got into some shit over that.

Foffy

Banned
Looking at this scumbags twitter replies is pissing me off. He's acting like nothing has happened.

He's essentially conditioned himself into illusions and delusions.

His lens of perception is flawed, and everyone outside of him sees this.

Mr.Mike

The whole CSGO skin gambling community always seemed crazy to me. Like the idea that there would be so much gambling going on with video game cosmetics is crazy enough on it's own. And on top of that the (what seems like) complete disregard for laws and regulations and the rampant underage gambling.

I've always wondered when the powers that be would finally step in and put an end to this nonsense, and it seems like that might be happening soon?

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
jfc... His twitter replies are ridiculous right now. Even the people he is responding to. They all don't give a fuck.

ar4757

"We" don't, unfortunately. But I'm sure there are people out there seriously considering a class-action suit who were swayed by their bullshit videos, and that's not even counting what the FTC might do.

Yeah I assume a lot of GAF hasn't bothered with the gambling stuff - me included. Everyone talks about skins and game betting but I just enjoy the game haha

Wasn't there a big scandal awhile back about match fixing/throwing games and pro players sandbagging and being caught gambling on those games? Pretty sure some people got into some shit over that.

Yeah it was a pretty big deal too, one of the teams was one of the premier NA cs teams. Those that were implicated received life time bans from valve sponsored events.

Fatbody

Man, this guy is really gonna try and positivity his way out of this. I wonder if this is a new social media shitstorm contingency plan for youtubers.

"Everything's alright dude. Love ya, bro"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom