• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTubers escape fine for promoting CSGO Lotto site they secretly owned

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
The judge must be german.. that's how our justice system works

TannerDemoz

Should have been made an example of. They knew what they were doing. This is really damaging and the industry has to start asking some really serious questions about some of the ethical practices being adopted atm that are extremely close to gambling.

Bunga

Wow, didn't that Tmartyn guy release a disgusting "apology" video as well that got taken down? I can't recall, but I remember being disgraced at what they'd done. Can't believe they've got away with it.

Kuosi

Wow, didn't that Tmartyn guy release a disgusting "apology" video as well that got taken down? I can't recall, but I remember being disgraced at what they'd done. Can't believe they've got away with it.

He did, would have thought he'd step out of his multimillion dollar mansion for the video, but apparently speaking to his dog was enough

MrBadger

Back when this happened I said they'd get fuck all punishment for it. Awful.

"FTC is there to educate violators of the law not punish them"

lol why have the ftc then?

Apparently "don't scam children out of money" is a very complex idea that a lot of people get wrong.

Pandy

The-System-Works.gif
Fuck this is perfect.

As discussed in the Destiny 2 micro-transactions thread, the whole industry needs tougher regulation just now, but this case in particular was scummy as hell. Yet why am I not surprised at the outcome.

Chris1

Meanwhile Nepenthez and his partner was fined £250k for doing the same thing on FIFA in the UK

UK consumer laws etc are so far ahead US it's unbelievable

UberTag

Good to know that encouraging kids to gamble is perfectly fine.
Upholding those great American Trump-led values.

Man, what a cesspool of a country.

Dinjooh

The FTC did not make reference to the age of TmarTn and Syndicate's YouTube audience in its judgement.

Nor was there any reference to the fact that other gambling sites had rigged bets to ensure high profile YouTubers' would win while playing - so as to dupe others into thinking they would also be as lucky.

As someone who works in a gambling company...

We would get shut down on the spot and fined heavily if we tried to do something like this.

nynt9

Equating this to AAA games having microtransactions is really stupid. These dudes lied about a product they secretly owned and endorsed, and they also lied to make their product look better. They ran a really shady business and were incredibly dishonest about it.

mindatlarge

Not the precedent I thought they'd set. It doesn't get much worse than taking advantage of your fans like this, the people that made you a success, especially kids that look up to you. Shame.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So they golden parachute their way out of their underage gambling scam racket. No integrity needed in society, only money.

So they golden parachute their way out of their underage gambling scam racket. No integrity needed in society, only money.

Valve pushed the rarity and profited off and enabled the gambling just as much as anyone. They get off without any penalty either and still get to sell $2.50 cases with a chance of getting "rare items" worth big money.

Not to mention esa/mlg that profited big on viewership when gambling on matches was huge, and all the other csgo lotto sites that were never punished.

I actually enjoyed betting and getting cases a bit when this stuff was going on, it's just a shame there was no way to regulate it or keep it from minors.

And that sweet ruby Doppler bayonet I dropped from one of my first cases got me $1500.

Croash

How?! There were so many articles when this blew up, so much research, and yet nothing happens in the end?

This sets a really awful precedent.

RS4-

Hey guys, tmartn here, here's 5 ways to commit fraud, kill someone, make easy youtube and Twitch money, get paid to shill cod, and get away with it!

LiK

I'm just hoping they lost a bunch of subs and support because of this. Hopefully YouTube demonetizes their channels too.

Handy Fake

Another case of technology outpacing the Law. If this had been a bookies operating under the same conditions they'd have gone down. I think the issue we have is still a great many senior officials ignorant of the internet and gaming, and probably still filed by them under "harmless pastimes for kids".

If I was running an underground gambling ring aimed at minors and paying people off to spread the good word about it, my ass would be behind bars in a minute. Why they get off without so much as a slap on the wrist is bewildering but I suppose this is in line with the long established precedent of wealthy "celebrities" thumbing their nose at the laws that the rest of us need to follow.

Wouldn't be surprising if some lobbying was involved.

It would've set a precedent and legal ramifications for operations alike.

compo

Banned
TmarTn and Syndicate do not need to admit any culpability and will face no penalty for their past actions.

Looking to the future, however, the FTC will require proper disclosure from the pair and will enforce violations.

"Well, you guys committed a bunch of crimes there, but since this is the first time you got caught, we'll let you off the hook. Try not to get caught next time, or else we will have to eventually punish you." - FTC

Top Bottom