• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Sir Fragula said:
The greatest "cinematic game" of our time - Half Life 2 - doesn't need cutscenes.

Thaaaaaaaank you, you fucking beautiful GAF poster.

If Cinematic Game = 90 minute cutscenes, then I guess I'm done with gaming forever.

Haunted One said:
Reading this thread makes me think that there must be either an amazingly large overlap between dedicated Nintendo and die-hard MGS fans, or that all rabid fanboys pretty much act the same. Your decision.

All the fanboys act this way. Most of the people who hate on it usually go and put the balls of another game in their mouth. It is one big cycle of dumbshit over and over. Although it is really funny to read. The Halo 3 review thread was hilarious and this one is also pretty good. Smash Bros can also get things crazy.

WinFonda said:
Aren't Edge and Eurogamer basically 1 in the same? They both have a history of lowballing the MGS series.
No, some staff write for both outlets. The EG score can sometimes be a rough indication of an Edge score, or visa versa. But it's not always true. They both just use the full 1-10 scale.

shagg_187 said:
w.. w... what?
Oh, come on. I've played MGS 1 and 3, and I'll get 4 as soon as I get a chance. But there's not one line of dialogue or story moment that can even rival a GTA game or decent comic. It's like a child's homemade comic book.

Edit: Actually, the story reminds me mostly of the stuff we made up while playing GI Joe.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
You people dissing the MGS stories weren't paying attention or are just ignorant or confused.

edit: This guy above me doesn't know what he's talking about.

shagg_187 said:
So he isn't a fan. Awesome! I'll stick with reviewers who actually enjoyed the previous games and present the review in depth. I know there is this NDA around this game, but that doesn't mean that they can't go into detail about the game (look at the other reviews).

You can have multiple perspectives, I mean EDGE gave Mass Effect a 7 for god's sake so MGS fans shouldn't be too pissed over an 8.

MGS4 will average above 90, probably more like 95 and isn't that good enough?

Dibbz

Sloane said:
And fair means... what? A 9 or 10 when you say so? When you haven't even played the game?

EVERY REVIEW is just one guys biased opinion. If you want an unbiased opinion, you need a reviewer who has never played a game or even heard of a game before. That what you want?

And don't worry: Reviewers don't make the industry look like a fucking joke. Gamers like you do. No offense.
Get off your high horse. Gaming journalists are hyporcryts and they have double standards. For a bunch of people who are meant to be professional it is fucking retarded.

They overlook things when they feel like it e.g. GTA4, then they tear other games down for the same flaws. It's rediculous! How do you not see it??

Also there's a diffrence in having an opinion on something and touting your opinion as it's the word of God. A professional journalist would keep his damn opinions out of a fucking review, article or whatever it may be, unless there was a good reason to mention it.

BobsRevenge

Captain Glanton said:
[dumb mocking laugh]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA[/dumb mocking laugh]

Seriously dude. Pay attention when you play games. Its kinda sad to see you make these accusations because you probably believe them.

Are you kidding me I love Half Life but the dialogue scenes are not great. The characters have dull facial animation while I'm jumping on there head.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Dibbz said:
They overlook things when they feel like it e.g. GTA4, then they tear other games down for the same flaws. It's ridiculous! How do you not see it??

Example please.

I fixed your spelling.

antiloop

Captain Glanton said:
Oh, come on. I've played MGS 1 and 3, and I'll get 4 as soon as I get a chance. But there's not one line of dialogue or story moment that can even rival a GTA game or decent comic. It's like a child's homemade comic book.

Edit: Actually, the story reminds me mostly of the stuff we made up while playing GI Joe.

:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl2XxRdNLTU

I am laughing the whole way through.

Orlics

Captain Glanton said:

The delivery of the lines may not be as solid as in GTA games,and the dialogue may not be as smart, but the story is compelling and the universe is engrossing. MGS is a great game series known for having amazing plots but no one says it has Hollywood-level storytelling.

Dibbz said:
Get off your high horse. Gaming journalists are hyporcryts and they have double standards. For a bunch of people who are meant to be professional it is fucking retarded.

They overlook things when they feel like it e.g. GTA4, then they tear other games down for the same flaws. It's rediculous! How do you not see it??

Also there's a diffrence in having an opinion on something and touting your opinion as it's the word of God. A professional journalist would keep his damn opinions out of a fucking review, article or whatever it may be, unless there was a good reason to mention it.

Look here genius: http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/indianajones4

What does that have to do with MGS4? Reviewers (of any medium) can and do have different opinions. MGS is a very divisive series, if you hate the story you will hate the game and that will show in the review scores, 8 is not bad, it's not up to MGS fans' expectations but as I've said MGS4 will balance out to be one of the highest reviewed games this generation so I wouldn't whine too much.

KTallguy

Banned
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

As long as they don't outright lie in their review, who cares, honestly.

MGS fans don't need to be PR shills, for fucks sake. I love MGS4 and will be there on day one, but I know that some people just won't like the cutscenes. I agree that games should move away from cutscenes in general, but closing the MGS series with long cutscenes is kind of a gift to all his fans. I'm glad he chose here and now to kick the cutscene habit (hopefully :lol).

So people going crazy blowing this out of proportion need to take a step back. It's an opinion.

TBH, I'm just so happy that I have my 5.1 system and TV set up now, I'm going to spend a long long time with MGS4, and I'm sure I'll enjoy every second.

Edit: And can we please stop comparing it with GTA? GTA has it's appeal, and it's not a shit game, so I'm inclined to say it deserves the scores it's getting. It's not perfect, but neither will MGS4 be perfect.

Narag

BobsRevenge said:
You people dissing the MGS stories weren't paying attention or are just ignorant or confused.

edit: This guy above me doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't agree with how Glanton phrased it but the MGS series itself is heavily reliant on excessive melodrama so I can see how people cannot take the storyline seriously. I adored MGS3 but it had its moments.

BobsRevenge said:
[dumb mocking laugh]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA[/dumb mocking laugh]

Seriously dude. Pay attention when you play games. Its kinda sad to see you make these accusations because you probably believe them.
Pay attention to what, exactly? Secret councils that rule the world? Walking tanks that shoot nuclear missiles? Cloned brothers? Bosses who shriek "rage" every few seconds, like a banshee? 90 minute cutscenes?

Next you'll tell me that MGS 3 had a smart control scheme.

KTallguy

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Pay attention to what, exactly? Secret councils that rule the world? Walking tanks that shoot nuclear missiles? Cloned brothers? Bosses who shriek "rage" every few seconds, like a banshee? 90 minute cutscenes?

Nothing wrong with that, it's as implausible as Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Same shit.

KTallguy said:
Nothing wrong with that, it's as implausible as Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Same shit.

Not exactly. The Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies are easily accessible, clear-cut and very simplistic in terms of story. The Star Wars expanded universe is where things get weird and for the most part its the realm of losers and neckbeards.

BobsRevenge

Narag said:
I don't agree with how Glanton phrased it but the MGS series itself is heavily reliant on excessive melodrama so I can see how people cannot take the storyline seriously. I adored MGS3 but it had its moments.
The melodrama is only excessive in the 2nd one because Raidan is a whiny bitch, but the story is really crazy. I don't take the story that seriously, but its pretty badass in general. The story is put together in a way that makes you feel like you're in over your head and then the shit starts coming down. The characters are usually silly, but the actual plots and situations are certainly thought provoking.

This Glanton guy is obviously an idiot though if he thinks the story is really that bad. What the shit does he expect? Does he want his games to play out like Crime and Punishment or some shit?

Orlics said:
Also, comics nowadays are hardly difficult to best in terms of story and dialogue, from the little I've seen.
That was sort of my point, actually. GTA and comics both have bad stories and dialogue, but MGS is much worse.

Look, I liked playing MGS 1 and 3 a lot, shitty control scheme aside. But I'd be ashamed to show the very best scene from MGS to another adult. And lol at the guy who keeps calling me ignorant.

Orlics

Captain Glanton said:
That was sort of my point, actually. GTA and comics both have bad stories and dialogue, but MGS is much worse.

Look, I liked playing MGS 1 and 3 a lot, shitty control scheme aside. But I'd be ashamed to show the very best scene from MGS to another adult. And lol at the guy who keeps calling me ignorant.

GTAIV has quite a scattered and unfocused story but the dialogue has some great moments.

Orlics said:
GTAIV has quite a scattered and unfocused story but the dialogue has some great moments.
My problem with IV's story is that the 75% where Niko kills strangers for cab fare contradicts the 25% where he realizes that he's wasted his life trying to get revenge. That and the shitty humor, e.g., TW@.

KTallguy

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
Not exactly. The Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies are easily accessible, clear-cut and very simplistic in terms of story. The Star Wars expanded universe is where things get weird and for the most part its the realm of losers and neckbeards.

Same thing with the MGS series.

You can go through MGS1 and MGS3 and not really care about the patriots etc., and still enjoy the over the top action, and taking down huge mechanical tanks. MGS2, I admit, was a lot more difficult to follow, and not a "standard action flick" presentation by any means (it was meant to usurp those expectations and succeeded 100%.

But dude, all you have to know playing MGS4 is "I need to kill Liquid, he's amassing an army." and "oh shit, there are some crazy robots", and "oh crap, there's weird sexy robots", and "holy shit, what's with the boobs on her" and you'll still enjoy yourself.

I mean, if you WANT, you can dive headfirst into the story, but you don't HAVE to. With MGS2, you really had to dive into the story to understand, but MGS4 appears to be much more accessible.

All speculation, of course.

Captain Glanton said:
My problem with IV's story is
that the 75% where Niko kills strangers for cab fare contradicts the 25% where he realizes that he's wasted his life trying to get revenge.
That and the shitty humor, e.g., TW@.

Please. Thank you.

Orlics

Captain Glanton said:
My problem with IV's story...

Well I can imagine you can get through the game without ever killing someone in a non-mission context. The humor has its ups and downs.

wasn't this thread about some British magazine?

Orlics said:
Well I can imagine you can get through the game without ever killing someone in a non-mission context. The humor has its ups and downs.

wasn't this thread about some British magazine?
I meant all the missions that don't move the revenge story forward--for the mob, random criminals, etc.

BobsRevenge

Captain Glanton said:

Its a goddamn video game dude. The story and characters are clearly over-the-top, but its all in good fun. There are actually a lot of stories that use surrealism to push points. Look at something like the Master and Margarita. Shit's crazier than MGS, but its also masterful social commentary. MGS clearly isn't on that level, but it still makes interesting points about war as well as other things. Its cool to see a game have that kind of depth or at least thought going into it because its rare. Sure absurdity abounds, but it works.

Roxas said:
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark

so gamepro, who said that this wasn't true, lied then?

i really wouldn't have a problem with such long cutscenes if i could save during them should i need/want to resume watching later.

antiloop

Captain Glanton said:

That's just an opinion.

I find Halos story utter garbage and kiddy, I never play GTA for the story or characters. But I don't care if other people like them for that reason.

BobsRevenge said:
Its a goddamn video game dude. The story and characters are clearly over-the-top, but its all in good fun. There are actually a lot of stories that use surrealism to push points. Look at something like the Master and Margarita. Shit's crazier than MGS, but its also masterful social commentary. MGS clearly isn't on that level, but it still makes interesting points about war as well as other things. Its cool to see a game have that kind of depth or at least thought going into it because its rare. Sure absurdity abounds, but it works.
Durr I don't know about your Soviet literature and whatnot I'm just a ignorant PhD who can't write good durr

Seiken said:
A 9 is still a higher score than 8, thus making GRID more entertaining and better overall. I find that unbelievable.

Why are you putting so much emphasis on score when there are pages of text talking about the games, and discussing the various good and bad points of each. How can you claim that the score is unjustified based on a number and a name?

Dever

Banned
Yeah, I'm definitely not cool with 90 minute cutscenes. And this is coming from someone who wasn't really bothered by MGS2's cutscene length.

BobsRevenge

Captain Glanton said:
Durr I don't know about your Soviet literature and whatnot I'm just a ignorant PhD who can't write good durr
Obviously I was hoping you knew what it was so you knew what I was comparing. I'm a goddamn junior in psychology at a small college and I happened to read that book for a class my senior year of high school. It seemed like the best example for what I was pushing for. I wasn't trying to be all like "I'm obviously smarter than you because I read this old russian book."

KTallguy

Banned
It's ok, it's wrong to be interested/informed and compare movies and literature to MGS.

IT'S TOO CAMPY OMG AND THERE'S CLONES OH SHIT IT'S SO STUPID WTF.

Sure, it's not entirely plausible, like 50% of popular fiction.

BobsRevenge said:
Obviously I was hoping you knew what it was so you knew what I was comparing. I'm a goddamn junior in psychology at a small college and I happened to read that book for a class my senior year of high school. It seemed like the best example for what I was pushing for. I wasn't trying to be all like "I'm obviously smarter than you because I read this old russian book."
So how does that make me ignorant, again?

Dibbz

McBacon said:
Example please.

I fixed your spelling.
If you honestly need examples from me, you havn't read enough reviews or you are completely oblivious to what is going on around you.

I'll give you an example anyway. Ninja Gaiden 2. Supposedly the story does matter at all "since all we want to do is kill things".

Sho Nuff

Banned
I think all great games should have extensive cutscenes. Imagine how much better the Williams Pinball Collection would have been if, after you activate multi-ball, you got a 45-minute CG sequence of Pin-bot contemplating what it truly means to be human

soldat7

Sir Fragula said:
The greatest "cinematic game" of our time - Half Life 2 - doesn't need cutscenes. The best of the recent "cinematic games" don't have 90 minute cutscenes... Cutscenes are not essential to the "cinematic" style.

If "cinematic" means "incredibly boring" then yes, Half-Life 2 is the greatest cinematic game of our time.

The fact that the MGS series has long cutscenes and lengthy dialog just goes further to set itself apart from a lot of the crap currently passing as AAA these days. The biggest downfall of many recent AAA titles is LACK of story, LACK of exposition, and MORE focus on action and shooting.

A good story? Yeah let's shove that inside hidden Terminals or allow the user to interact and hump a wall during important dialog. Great idea!

Dibbz

GenericPseudonym said:
Look here genius: http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/indianajones4

What does that have to do with MGS4? Reviewers (of any medium) can and do have different opinions. MGS is a very divisive series, if you hate the story you will hate the game and that will show in the review scores, 8 is not bad, it's not up to MGS fans' expectations but as I've said MGS4 will balance out to be one of the highest reviewed games this generation so I wouldn't whine too much.
I'm not whining about MGS4 you retard. I'm saying the whole fucking review "system" is fucked up, since the reviewers themselves are not consistant at all since they have double standards. X game sucks because of A, yet we don't really care about A in Y game so it gets a free pass.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
soldat7 said:
allow the user to hump a wall during important dialog. Great idea!

Tip: Don't hump the wall during important dialog.

Sure, HL2 ain't perfect, but its closer to my dream industry of telling a story DURING a game, not AROUND a game.

jax (old)

Banned
so the 90minute cutscenes are real. Honestly, as much as I love MGS... and I LOVE MGS, just reading about it = a major turnoff. I sometimes fall asleep during movies (on dvds) during the lulls and this just about sounds like the WORST THING kojima/konami could have done. Holy batman.. how awful do I think it is.

BobsRevenge

Captain Glanton said:
So how does that make me ignorant, again?
It doesn't. The ignorance is refering to your opinions on MGS's story. You're being wayyyyy too harsh on it and seem to ignore a lot of things that make it good.

KTallguy said:
It's ok, it's wrong to be interested/informed and compare movies and literature to MGS.

IT'S TOO CAMPY OMG AND THERE'S CLONES OH SHIT IT'S SO STUPID WTF.

Sure, it's not entirely plausible, like 50% of popular fiction.
There aren't enough lols in the world for this--thinking that liking MGS's fiction makes you informed.

Top Bottom