• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

DeadTrees

Baha said:
Did you just compare mgs fans with creationists?
To be fair, the god of creationists writes more believable characters and situations, features less cryptic plotting, and can do sex scenes that aren't cringeworthy.

:p

gcubed

traveler said:
You guys have officially surpassed the old, dedicated Nintendo fans in my mind. Jesus Christ, you're all so frigging transparent- why do you even bother?

So we can contine reading gems like this from you?

Orlics

biggkidd32 said:
It boogles my mind as to why someone will complain about review scores for a game they haven't played yet.

This is the fanbase of Metal Gear.

And boy am I sad to be a part of it.

traveler said:
You guys have officially surpassed the old, dedicated Nintendo fans in my mind. Jesus Christ, you're all so frigging transparent- why do you even bother?

I swear you write variations of this same fucking post in every PS3 thread. You come with your holier-than-thou attitude and attack anyone who has legit complaints against the gaming press or you generalize against sony fans. I don't know if Sony fans are "freaking transparent" but you certainly are.

Orlics said:
This is the fanbase of Metal Gear.

And boy am I sad to be a part of it.

I wouldn't say that. I've enjoyed the MGS games myself over the years. I even have the limited edition pre-ordered. Every fanbase has its vocal and looney minority.

Orlics

biggkidd32 said:
I wouldn't say that. I've enjoyed the MGS games myself over the years. I even have the limited edition pre-ordered. Every fanbase has its vocal and looney minority.

I'd say MGS fans are a bit more rabid, just check out the awesome massive official thread OP(s). :lol

Dascu

ElAlcesDiablo said:
There isn't really anything new.

I liked this though:
Minami: "Sega just said: 'Create what you want to create'"
Sega gets a lot of cool points for this deal.
Ah, thanks. I'm really surprised and pleased to see Sega make a deal like this. Let's hope it pays off for Platinum Games, Sega and us gamers.

Roxas said:
- Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.
IMHO, I think this speaks to the freedom to make friends with/help out either insurgents or the PMCs. Wasn't that a pretty big point of the early trailers/PR material? That probably got chopped down a bit in the final release.

Narag

fortified_concept said:
I swear you write variations of this same post in every fucking PS3 thread. You come with your holier-than-thou attitude and attack anyone who has legit complaints against the gaming press or generalize against sony fans. I don't know if Sony fans are "freaking transparent" but you certainly are.

What's legitimate about declaring a score too low on a game that the same posters haven't played yet?

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
IMHO, I think this speaks to the freedom to make friends with/help out either insurgents or the PMCs. Wasn't that a pretty big point of the early trailers/PR material? That probably got chopped down a bit in the final release.
I think IGN review stated that you can still do that. Doing so can move the battle to a different spot on the map, which could clear out the way for you.

zoukka

Dascu said:
Ah, thanks. I'm really surprised and pleased to see Sega make a deal like this. Let's hope it pays off for Platinum Games, Sega and us gamers.

Well it will pay off for us at least. Go SEGA!

@ Blockbastard

It sure as hell didn't :(

Ryuuga

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
why so high for mgs4

jesus christ, losers, get your crappy polygon puppet theatre from shitty j-rpgs like the rest of us wankers

Suddenly, I have an urge to play some sort of "Punch and Judy" game.

Narag said:
What's legitimate about declaring a score too low on a game that the same posters haven't played yet?

It's not just about MGS4 though. I have played GTA4 extensively (although I didn't finish it because I was in danger of dying of boredom due to the extremely repetitive and uninspired missions) and it's definately not a 10 game so that's a legit compaint against Edge that seems to favor certain games. Also the text of the MGS4 review doesn't agree with the score, unless you consider a game being cinematical as a con which to me seems absurd and stupid.

antiloop

- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers (??)

Would be nice with some more information on this. It doesn't say much as is.

What game it could of been and what he expected before he started playing. Just to see it a bit from his perspective.

Narag

fortified_concept said:
It's not just about MGS4 though. I have played GTA4 extensively (although I didn't finish it because I was in danger of dying of boredom due to the extremely repetitive and uninspired missions) and it's definately not a 10 game so that's a legit compaint against Edge that seems to favor certain games. Also the text of the MGS4 review doesn't agree with the score, unless you consider a game being cinematical as a con which to me seems absurd and stupid.

That's ultimately too much emphasis being put on score as I've read similar complaints about review text/scores not matching up quit a bit this year. A game can't stand on its own merits but has to be judged in relation to other games, some of which that came out years ago. I do agree about GTA4 though. However, I'll wait until the full review for MGS4is posted somewhere to judge for myself in regards to the score/text issue.

J-Rzez

Roxas said:

Yep, sounds positively epic. "Delivers without equal in so many ways" is something that sounds good. I dunno, but that listing sounds more like a 9-10, but it's edge, they probably didn't like the print that was used on the crates or boxes, and Kojima isn't located in Europe. Edge can be really wonky at times with some of their scores, and this is probably one of them considering that they gave it the obligatory 8 they've assigned the last 2 iirc.

They're not the same Edge anymore though. Some of the scores given in the past 1-2yrs have been no better than other publications. The GTA IV score was the final score i needed to see to come to that conclusion. They're no better than any of publication (both physical and digital) anymore it seems. They used to be one of the few actually worth looking at the scores for.

Grid seems to be getting decent reviews for a simple arcade type racer.

Haunted

Man, are you guys still complaining that Grid got the higher score? It's simply a better racing game than MGS4 is. wait, what?

Draft said:
The MGS fanbase is amazing.

One of a kind.
Reading this thread makes me think that there must be either an amazingly large overlap between dedicated Nintendo and die-hard MGS fans, or that all rabid fanboys pretty much act the same. Your decision.

Drinky Crow said:
why so high for mgs4

jesus christ, losers, get your crappy polygon puppet theatre from shitty j-rpgs like the rest of us wankers
wow

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Anth said:
MGS4 didn't need any review. Buying it comes down to a very easy decision tree:

Are you a fan of the MGS series? If yes, buy game, if not, don't buy game.

Coming up to the game, I've heard it has a radically new control scheme that makes it more akin to something like GRAW or Splinter Cell, so while I can't stand the gameplay of the first three, I'd quite like to try the fourth. Is that ok with you, Anth?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Ack! Infinite ammo in Alpha Protocol!? They better scrap that shit.

did you really expect bioware sequel lackey would solve a problem even bioware didnt. even if they give you ammo its going to a shit load of it and higher difficulties will just give you less and less. which is going to be a pain when you aim a headshot but it isnt a head shot. these are people now, not robots a shot to the head will/should kill.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
So 8 is a good (if not great) score from Edge so I should be happy and excited about MGS4? Or...no? I'm so confused.

Roxas said:

I thought the BB unit was shadowing the Shadow Moses Fox Hound Unit.

MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers
I think Kojima touched on this in an interview. He said he didn't get to do everything he wanted to with MGS4. That it was a bit too ambitious. Things I can think of off the top of my head were things like more destructable environments, and old trailers and screenshots of snake growing more facial hair and Octocam suit damage.

Mcbacon said:
Coming up to the game, I've heard it has a radically new control scheme that makes it more akin to something like GRAW or Splinter Cell, so while I can't stand the gameplay of the first three, I'd quite like to try the fourth. Is that ok with you, Anth?

Not really, but it is a lot more user friendly. My hand didn't cramp once in the MGO beta.

jetjevons said:
So 8 is a good (if not great) score from Edge so I should be happy and excited about MGS4? Or...no? I'm so confused.

Basically if you liked MGS2 or MGS3, you will like MGS4.

If you didn't like those, you still won't unless your biggest problem were the controls.

Sloane

Banned
Dibbz said:
If a reviewr is trying to be professional then yeah he should be fair, whats wrong with that?
And fair means... what? A 9 or 10 when you say so? When you haven't even played the game?

Dibbz said:
Seriously I don't understand some of you guys. If you know the review is just one guys biased opinion then how can you defend it? It makes no damn sense. This type of shit needs to be sorted out because it makes the industry look like a fucking joke.
EVERY REVIEW is just one guys biased opinion. If you want an unbiased opinion, you need a reviewer who has never played a game or even heard of a game before. That what you want?

And don't worry: Reviewers don't make the industry look like a fucking joke. Gamers like you do. No offense.

Walshicus

Ryuuga said:
Suddenly, I have an urge to play some sort of "Punch and Judy" game.
My old man keeps on going on about some game called Punchy from the C64 that he thinks I should remember even though I was five when we had it. Maybe that's what you're after.

Narag

shagg_187 said:
Ban > You

Seriously dickwad., next time compare games in similar genre...

You know, that didn't stop the defenders from complaining the score was too low compared to 10 games in different genres.

The reviews are starting to get rediculous. I don't really care but it just seem like some games get free passes and other games get nitpicked with every little thing.

And to those bitching about long cutscenes as long as there skippable who gives a shit if you think it's not worth your time to watch it just skip it and keep playing the game.

I think GTAIV deserves the score it got and but I can point out a lot of flaws with it. Why the double standards?

Ok, read it. The main complaint is that the game has no "soul", it's trying too hard to be the ultimate fan service according to them (trying to revisit as much as possible).

Other complaints are:

- too complicated story for newcomers
- lengthy cut scenes
- simplicity of some objectives
- the game isn't what it could have been or should have been, but no reason is stated
- game doesn't appeal to reviewers who didn't enjoy MGS2's ending (refers to himself)

Pros:

- great AI
- multiple ways to approach the missions
- great controls
- great shooting

It's a really short review, doesn't go in depth on anything really. Basically the gameplay is amazing but the story is too convulsed and the game isn't what the reviewer wanted it to be.

Come on, even if you're a MGS/PS3 fanboy, multiple 90 min cutscenes is rediculous. This is approaching Xenosaga territory. And that is NOT a good thing. At least for anyone over the age of 13.

MGS3 is one of my favorite games ever, mostly because they dialed back the story a notch from MGS2 and focused on the gameplay. Seems MGS4 is an undesired return to form. Honestly, games are not the media for telling stories- MGS is a game mixed with a movie the way oil mixes with water. It's not natural, and it doesn't work.

Guarantee you won't see MGS4 burning up the sales charts or doing much better than an Uncharted or Resistance- It's the 4th in a convoluted series that's on the most expensive, distant 3rd runner console.

Is this issue available in US bookstores yet?

antiloop

Ynos Yrros said:
Ok, read it. The main complaint is that the game has no "soul", it's trying too hard to be the ultimate fan service according to them (trying to revisit as much as possible).

Other complaints are:

- lengthy cut scenes
- the game isn't what it could have been or should have been, but no reason is stated
- game doesn't appeal to reviewers who didn't enjoy MGS2's ending (refers to himself)

Pros:

- great AI
- great controls
- great shooting

It's a really short review, doesn't go in depth on anything really. Basically the gameplay is amazing but the story is too convulsed and the game isn't what the reviewer wanted it to be.

Thanks, a bit more clear now.

elcapitan

Sounds good. Especially the bit about the AI. Kind of funny, if you look hard enough, some of the reviews contradict each other on some points.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Ynos Yrros said:

Other complaints are:

- lengthy cut scenes

Pros:

- great AI
- great controls
- great shooting

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected. The guy certainly is entitled to his opinion but I'm pretty sure I won't be agreeing with it.

Decado

Choke on the Magic said:
I think Kojima touched on this in an interview. He said he didn't get to do everything he wanted to with MGS4. That it was a bit too ambitious. Things I can think of off the top of my head were things like more destructable environments, and old trailers and screenshots of snake growing more facial hair and Octocam suit damage.
So both environmental and character model/skin damage is out? That doesn't sound very promising. :(

Ynos Yrros said:

Other complaints are:

- lengthy cut scenes

Pros:

- great AI
- great controls
- great shooting

Ah cool, so it's an amazing game but the story isn't what he wanted. Well, it's what I want, so GAME OF THE FOREVER still confirmed

harSon said:
Maybe they mean 2 cut scenes (combined) that near 90 minutes?
I think it's far more likely that they clocked a 90 minute section of the game that was cut scenes punctuated by sections of gameplay or sections with very little interactivity. I imagine it to be some sort of limbo between gameplay and narrative.

Ynos Ynos I think when you say no soul that's a little harsh. They say w/regard to the graphics that the characters are full of humanity.

SonOfABeep said:
Come on, even if you're a MGS/PS3 fanboy, multiple 90 min cutscenes is rediculous. This is approaching Xenosaga territory. And that is NOT a good thing. At least for anyone over the age of 13.

MGS3 is one of my favorite games ever, mostly because they dialed back the story a notch from MGS2 and focused on the gameplay. Seems MGS4 is an undesired return to form. Honestly, games are not the media for telling stories- MGS is a game mixed with a movie the way oil mixes with water. It's not natural, and it doesn't work.

Guarantee you won't see MGS4 burning up the sales charts or doing much better than an Uncharted or Resistance- It's the 4th in a convoluted series that's on the most expensive, distant 3rd runner console.

Is this issue available in US bookstores yet?

Uhhh I rather have the option of having more content. It's not like it's easy adding in a 90 minute cutscene. It's there for a reason why don't you play it first and see for your self? Seems like it's hit or miss depending on the reviewer.

Ynos Yrros said:

So he isn't a fan. Awesome! I'll stick with reviewers who actually enjoyed the previous games and present the review in depth. I know there is this NDA around this game, but that doesn't mean that they can't go into detail about the game (look at the other reviews).

Choke on the Magic said:
I thought the [Beauty and the Beast] unit was shadowing the Shadow Moses Fox Hound Unit.
See, it's sentences like this that hold back the MG games. The story and writing really does sound like it was done by a lonely junior high school kid.

Top Bottom