• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

Dibbz

Mash said:
I think the problem is people like you see professionalism and objectivity as synonymous. This isn't the 9 o'clock news, it's a review.
If a reviewr is trying to be professional then yeah he should be fair, whats wrong with that?

Seriously I don't understand some of you guys. If you know the review is just one guys biased opinion then how can you defend it? It makes no damn sense. This type of shit needs to be sorted out because it makes the industry look like a fucking joke. These guys claim they are professional but their "reviews" are so full of shit it's unbelievable.

You know it wouldn't be so bad if they were just blogging this stuff to a small percentage of people, but when they actually influence consumers it's bullshit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Doc Evils said:
Edge have lost their fucking minds giving GRID a higher score than MGS4.

Seriously fucking retarded.
Out of curiosity, have you played both?

joey_z

Banned
Doc Evils said:
I have GRID and it is not a 9, got a problem with that?

You're on a fucking message board. Learn to respect opinions. A review is just that. An opinion. You have not played MGS 4 and MGS 4 was not reviewed in context with GRID. Cry me a river.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Doc Evils said:
Edge have lost their fucking minds giving GRID a higher score than MGS4.

Seriously fucking retarded.

You can't compare those two games. Grid is racing game so they reviewd it as one and apparently it's a good racing game.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lakitu said:
I'd expect better from Edge not to mention this 90 minute cutscene bullshit, it's already been said that there is one 60 minute cutscene
as the ending
Ah right, so I guess the actual rumour was really started by EDGE magazine :lol

Good going , EDGE ;)

yurinka

Fuzz Rez said:
You can't compare those two games. So it really doesn't matter if Grid scored higher scores.
One of them is made by their Codies neighbours and the other is made by some yellow foreigners who don't spend so much money in the press.

Rlan said:
I wouldn't put too much thought into the XBLA scores for Commando 3 and 1942 - EDGE never really seems to like XBLA titles at all.

I just went through all the previous EDGE magazine threads to see what they've ended up giving XBLA and PSN games. Take a look:

XBLA

1942: Joint Strike [4] (July 08)
WOTB: Commando 3 [6] (July 08)
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 1 [4] (June 08)
Rocketmen: Axis of evil [4] (May 08)
Omega Five [6] (#186)
Space Giraffe [8] (#180)
Boom Boom Rocket [5] (#176)

PSN

Echochrome [7] (June 08)
Riff: Everyday Shooter [8] (#186)
PixelJunk Monsters [7] (#186)
Calling all cars [6] (#179)
Super Stardust HD [8] (#178)

They love them some PSN :p
1942, Commando 3 and Rocketmen are also PSN titles. BTW 1942 looked great. Did they know it's a remake of a classic? Or they only like the british games?

LSM256

Banned
Amarox said:
So you didn't play Half Life 2 when It came out, I presume.

I did actually.

And while it was a technically impressive game, I found it rather boring. I did complete it though, and felt the ending was very anti-climactic. Also, where was the story? I'm sure there was one there, but the game IMO did a very poor job of telling it.

Mash

LSM256 said:
I did actually.

And while it was a technically impressive game, I found it rather boring. I did complete it though, and felt the ending was very anti-climactic. Also, where was the story? I'm sure there was one there, but the game IMO did a very poor job of telling it.

There was plenty of story but perhaps it's because I'm a big HL fan and noticed all the nods to HL1 and was interested in finding out anything about the Gman etc.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
This needs to be quoted again..

"I've completed the game twice, and am the author of the forthcoming [GamePro] review," Shuman said. "Ninety-minute-long cinemas in MGS4 sounds like an exaggeration. Like the other MGS games, MGS4 definitely has a cinematic quality. And yes, some of the cut-scenes in the game are elaborate and occasionally lengthy. But not a one, to my recollection, even approaches 90 minutes."

RBH

beerbelly said:
How old are you guys? Still whining about scores :lol
It's quite amusing.

I said this in another thread, but people basically shouldn't get so riled up over these review scores.

Htown said:
Out of curiosity, have you played both?

I've played the Grid demo and was in the MGO beta. MGO beta was > Grid demo. Presumably MGS4 is better than MGO beta. Grid presumably is better than Grid demo of course, but in the end MGS4 > Grid. OPINIONZ, OPINIONZ, ONIONZ :p:lol

eso76

LSM256 said:
Metal Gear Solid 2 (still the best video game story I have seen, and no I have not played MGS3)

you think mgs2 is 10worthy but didn't feel like playing mgs3 ?
why is that ?

I give this thread 8/10 for entertainment value, would have been higher but evilore's injection of logic tarnished it for me.

That and the dodgy camera angles.

RBH said:
It's quite amusing.

I said this in another thread, but people basically shouldn't get so riled up over these review scores.
I disagree, if it was Official anything Magazine or some B league site then the review would be disposable to me. Debating and bitching about that would be a waste of everyone's time.
Edge however is the harshest scoring magazine in gaming's history. This much cannot be denied by even the most deluded of fanboys. I don't mean to imply that harsh means infallible either.

A high scoring game in Edge is like being part of an elite club, every fan wants their game to be in it. I actually think people should care about what Edge says rather than the score, but if there are any scores people should debate at length (not whine) about then it's these ones.

These are the only review threads I enjoy reading, and regarding UK bias: Haze = 5. /discussion

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
I'm thinking that the reason this 90 minute figure keeps getting thrown around is that there are probably several sequences like the end of MGS3, where the player has some input but things are playing out like a cutscene. Some reviewers probably don't count things like that as actual gameplay since everything happens just as it's supposed to.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Choke on the Magic said:
I've played the Grid demo and was in the MGO beta. MGO beta was > Grid demo. Presumably MGS4 is better than MGO beta. Grid presumably is better than Grid demo of course, but in the end MGS4 > Grid. OPINIONZ, OPINIONZ, ONIONZ :p:lol

Something you and many other people fail to see is that Grid was not reviewed in context with MGS4, or vice versa. Dont compare Grid to MGS4, they are both totally different games.

Sanjay

ymmv said:
If it's an Edge review: UK > Japan Hyped UK games always get +1.

Geezer said:
Edge have a heavy UK developer bias. DIRT is probably truthfully a 7 or 8 on the Edge scale.

Did you view all the game scores reviewed in the OP?

Haze (5) this goes against what you have said or did you just try blank that game out of your mind completely to prove your point.

LSM256

Banned
eso76 said:
you think mgs2 is 10worthy but didn't feel like playing mgs3 ?
why is that ?

Around the time MGS3 came out I shifted my focus to PC MMO gaming. I thought about buying the MGS bundle and playing through all the games in one fell swoop. But if MGS4 indeed fills in those not completely familiar with the story I may very well just pick up 4 alone and play it raw.

And speaking of PC gaming:

Diablo 2 and EQ1 and 2 are also 10s to me -- no other PC games have kept me enthralled and coming back for more like they have.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Draft said:
The MGS fanbase is amazing.

One of a kind.

SUNP0018.jpg

twofold

Draft said:
The MGS fanbase is amazing.

One of a kind.

Eh, I don't see what differentiates the MGS fanbase from any other comprised of rabid fanboys. The Halo/GTA/Zelda/whatever guys lashed out at reviews that they didn't like in quite a similar manner.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
iby.h said:
Something you and many other people fail to see is that Grid was not reviewed in context with MGS4, or vice versa. Dont compare Grid to MGS4, they are both totally different games.
A 9 is still a higher score than 8, thus making GRID more entertaining and better overall. I find that unbelievable.

FirewalkR

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh? So both reviews were written by the same person?

Well, first of all EDGEs' reviews aren't signed so we don't know who reviewed what.

Second, the problem with this way of thinking is... they stop being EDGE reviews and start being "some guy's" review. Despite there being one person that is the "main" reviewer, there should be some internal consistency between a magazine's scores. And EDGE scores aren't (at least always) given by just one isolated person. When the first Halo was awarded a 10, one of the editors suggested they should award it and after discussion there was an agreement that Halo deserved it.

I'm not downplaying GRID though, I enjoyed the demo and I'm pretty much a hardcore racing game fan (LFS mostly, and GT5 is getting close to harcore with pro physics). It was not realistic, but it was fun for me.

Now, no matter how "fun" it was I seriously doubt GRID (i'll probably buy it) will be half the gaming experience MGS4 (pre-ordered already) is sure to be, based on all the previews I've read and most of the reviews.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
yurinka said:
One of them is made by their Codies neighbours and the other is made by some yellow foreigners who don't spend so much money in the press.

Or maybe it's just good racing game ? I'll doubt it keeps scoring high scores like these for long. But still it seems GRID is good racing game and racing game fans should have blast with it.

GRID (X0-versio)

Official Xbox Magazine 9 out of 10
VideoGamer 9 out of 10
GameTap 9 out of 10
Eurogamer 9 out of 10
Xbox World 360 Magazine UK 88 out of 100
TeamXbox 8.7 out of 10
IGN 8.7 out of 10

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, what's up with Edge being able to talk about install times and cutscenes when there was a NDA stating you couldn't do so in reviews? Did they sign it and do it anyway? Did they not sign it and....review it anyway?

I wonder what the story is there.

iby.h said:

Was meant to be more of a joke. Sort of. My MGS fanboyism doesn't help get that across very well though. :D

phalestine

aka iby.h
Seiken said:
A 9 is still a higher score than 8, thus making GRID more entertaining and better overall. I find that unbelievable.

ok fair enough, but MGS4 is not out so we have no idea how entertaining, so to say it should get a higher score then Grid, well thats what I find unbelievable.

Kintaro said:
So, what's up with Edge being able to talk about install times and cutscenes when there was a NDA stating you couldn't do so in reviews? Did they sign it and do it anyway? Did they not sign it and....review it anyway?

It was a BS story. FUD if you like.

beerbelly

Banned
RBH said:
It's quite amusing.

I could understand if these guys were in their early to mid-teens but some of them are in their 30s!

30s! :lol

Rainy Dog

gofreak said:
It's probably the flash from the camera. The page is likely just a black page.

It is. Its just a plain black page with the Next Month text. Whether it does imply Black 2 is anyones guess though. It'd be a surprise...a pleasant one really. Especially as Criterion flatly denied it back in Feb on their own forums :-

Hello,

As we've said a lot on the podcast, a sequel to Black is not something we're currently working on.

Right now, our focus is on creating some phenomenal downloadable content for Paradise over the course of this year.

Black was a very deliberate game and made use of the amazing technology for PlayStation2 that the Burnout games had pioneered.

We did start thinking seriously about a sequel right after the first game, but it was mostly just technical exploration - particularly into particles, explosions and a destructible world.

With any game project, we like to have a unique take on the game before we begin.

I'm not sure any of feel us really strongly about wanting to spend the next two years of our lives on a Black sequel. There are a few other things we'd like to explore first, especially with regards to developing online gaming.

We're not ruling it out, and to avoid any disappointment, I'll be totally open and honest with all of you about this, but the answer is simple - we're not working on it right now.

Also, the whole genre of first person shooting is very conventional - I suspect that if we ever made another one we'd want to really play with it and break down a few of those conventions - like we did we with online conventions in the racing genre with Burnout Paradise for example.

And there are a lot of great shooters out there already - Halo3 and Resistance are really great science fiction shooting games, and Rainbow Six, GRAW and Call of Duty 4 are exceptional modern style shooting titles.

So it's even harder to create something truly unique - but that's not to say it can't be done though.

I'd suggest you all take a look at Bizarre Creations excellent new shooting game 'The Club' - it's something we've been playing at the office during last week. It isn't Black 2, it's a very different game, but it does share some of the Black ethos and approach to shooting and goes in an area that we certainly found to be interesting and entertaining.

To close, it's a case of 'never say never' but it's not something we're doing right now.

Alex

So even if Black 2 is now in production, it won't be coming until end next year earliest if they hadn't even begun working on it until after February...

Kintaro said:

Maybe Konami Europe aren't so demanding. Do we know the source of the review requirements? I didn't read the MTV thread.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Visualante said:
Maybe Konami Europe aren't so demanding. Do we know the source of the review requirements? I didn't read the MTV thread.

No clue, but I'd like to see the Multiplayer Blog follow up the story now.

Scotch

Roxas said:
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
Well, that settles it, I don't think this game is for me. It's too bad, I was really hoping that with the new camera and control scheme they'd make the other aspects of the game a little more accessible to non-MGSfans as well.

NeoUltima

Ynos Yrros said:
I really don't understand it, how could Lost Winds (not trying to downplay the game, but it is what it is) get the same score, and Grid (in my opinion 7 at best) get a better score in the same magazine.
Basically boils down to different reviewers, different standards and different opinions.

ElAlcesDiablo said:
Race Driver: Grid
360, PC, PS3 (Version Tested)

Jesus, quit it with the stupid conspiracy theories.

I don't see any British bias in their reviews either.

Yep if anything they have given the nood to ps3, as a long time sub to edge i have had the delights of reading there ps3 arse licking for a while, they even did a huge anti 360 segment not so long ago think it was called has the 360 ran out of steam it was like it was written just for gaf.

CowGirl

Opus Angelorum said:
It would be naive to think that Criterion are only working on Burnout : Paradise for the rest of the year. As you say though, any new projects won't be seen any time soon.

No it wouldn't.

Top Bottom