• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

Kittonwy

Banned
flipping_heck said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 8
Grid (9)

Rawrrawrrawr WTF?

I'm NEVER going to buy GRID, NEVER NEVER NEVER. HATEHATEHATE codemasters.
angry.gif

Sloane

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
EG=8/10 Edge=8/10. What exactly is wrong with 8/10?
Nothing, but people don't want an editor to express his or her opinion. They want an editor to express their opinion. It's that easy.

Dibbz said:
Wow 8 for MGS4.

Jesus what does a game need to do to get a higher score than that?

Maybe if it was called Grand Theft Halo or something it would get 10's all round.

8 is fine, but I'm sure a MGS duffel bag of goodies would have helped.

That list of 8's looks ridiculously better than the 10's

Populist backlash does that do you. Technically, an 8 may be the safest position for a game to be fondly remembered, considering how fickle gamers are.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
proposition said:
So what is your definition of cinematic? Half-Life 2 follows lots of ideas from Blair Witch, but MGS4 doesn't. No movies are 30 hours long, and even the two longest cutcscenes, at over 90 minutes, combined are longer that the majority of movies.

'Cinematic games' is quite a nebulous concept to me. It's not a very well defined term.
If a game takes a lot of influence from movies then it is cinematic. Like the characters in MGS all seem to be based on characters in movies. In HL2 its not that way. HL2 it seems to me was designed to be a game and to tell its story in an engaging way that was independent in design from other mediums. It didn't draw very much influence from movies at all. It doesn't really follow very many ideas from the Blair Witch project at all and any that it did was coincidental. Its not like Game Newell saw the Blair Witch project and said to himself "Damn that was immersive, I think I'll make a game that's immerisive!"

In MGS you have characters and situations that can easily be linked to movies. In Mafia you have a game that draws tons of influence from movies like Good Fellas. HL2 drew minimal influence from movies by design. The gameplay situations are rarely cinematic even. There were maybe only a few moments in HL2 where I could possibly think to myself "This is just like playing a movie!" I had many of those moments in Mafia, the MGS games, and Max Payne.

Dibbz

Sloane said:
Nothing, but people don't want an editor to express his or her opinion. They want an editor to express their opinion. It's that easy.
A review is not meant to be the editors fucking opinion. If I wanted to read someones opinion I would read some fucking forums.

LSM256

Banned
"Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Halo
Half Life 2
Halo 3
Orange Box
Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV"

I have played the first seven of those games to either completion or a large portion of what they have to offer -- none of them deserve a 10, IMO, not even Ocarina.

Sloane

Banned
Dibbz said:
A review is not meant to be the editors fucking opinion. If I wanted to read someones opinion I would read some fucking forums.
So whose opinion should it be then?

Maybe editors should do a poll on NeoGAF and ask which rating might be okay for a game before they write their review?

LSM256 said:
"Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
Halo
Half Life 2
Halo 3
Orange Box
Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV"

I have played the first seven of those games to either completion or a large portion of what they have to offer -- none of them deserve a 10, IMO, not even Ocarina.

What does deserve a 10 then?

Capo

LSM256 said:
"Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
Halo
Half Life 2
Halo 3
Orange Box
Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV"

chappelle-show-charlie-murphy.gif

Mash

Dibbz said:

What do you think happens when someone writes a review? They turn into a robot and every preference and subjective thought they have is overrided? Complete objectivity in reviewing is not only impossible, it's boring. That doesn't mean reviews should be diatribes and rants but acknowledging the reviewer is a human being with inclinations and aversions is your problem not theirs.

joey_z

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I'm not really comparing dem. Two separate statements in a single post. Rawrrawrrawr.
angry.gif

Don't you tire of adding those stupid emoticons after every post? I'd understand if they were in your signature but you actually have to type this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/EvilTaru/angry.gif

And it's strange that you don't throw in an emoticon when you're writing something seriously. Which makes me wonder whether you're actually a joke character 90% of the time.
Nothing personal. Just wondering.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
ThirdEye said:
GRID > MGS4

:lol
Wow, edge has sure messed up :lol

It was expected though! They always favour 360 games and are not big fans of MGS games so I am not really surprised there.

EviLore said:

Actually, I believe it got a 7. For me, one of the few cases where they may have crossed the line from just their opinion to factually incorrect. Kinda a long time ago now though.

MGS4's 8 is very much expected, likely justifiable and oughtn't put off or enrage anyone really.

LSM256

Banned
Sorry, I was underwhelmed by Ocarina personally. Maybe it's because I did not play it when it first hit, and there were already more modern games to compare it to.

As for what game deserves a 10?

Well first, do mean 10 in terms of what game has given you the ultimate enjoyment, or 10 in terms of technical flawlessness?

If it is the latter, then ummm none. No game is perfect.

If it is the former, then (strictly IMO) :

Resistance: Fall of Man (still the best FPS experience I've had to date)

Metal Gear Solid 2 (still the best video game story I have seen, and no I have not played MGS3 and remember little of MGS1)

God of War 1 and 2 (masterpieces no matter which way you cut them)

Halo 2 (close second to best FPS experience I've ever had)

Metroid Prime (still best entry in the series for me)

Castlevania Symphony of the Night (by far the best in series for me)

All I can think of at the moment.

Alex

TheHeretic said:
What does deserve a 10 then?

I'm not him, and I think it's silly to argue, but off the 10 list, I would say Orange Box and Mario Galaxy, maybe, are worthy on the 10 list. I wasn't a fan of Nintendo's N64 efforts (aside from Majora's), I HATE Halo and GTA IV is really great, just not a 10 in the end, to me.

The 8 list is a lot more appealing to me, though. The Curse of Monkey Island, Baldur's Gate 2, Super Metroid, System Shock 2... That's like the best of the best!

Of course, I'm not even sure why I'm typing all this, I'm not terribly big on Metal Gear Solid either. Bit too convoluted, post the original, for me that is.

ilanna said:
Wow, edge has sure messed up :lol

It was expected though! They always favour 360 games and are not big fans of MGS games so I am not really surprised there.

Race Driver: Grid
360, PC, PS3 (Version Tested)

Jesus, quit it with the stupid conspiracy theories.

I don't see any British bias in their reviews either.

Dibbz

Mash said:
What do you think happens when someone writes a review? They turn into a robot and every preference and subjective thought they have is overrided? Complete objectivity in reviewing is not only impossible, it's boring. That doesn't mean reviews should be diatribes and rants but acknowledging the reviewer is a human being with inclinations and aversions is your problem not theirs.
A review should be a non bias conclusion of the game. Their opinions should be mostly kept out if they are even trying to come off as professional.

What makes their opinion so much better that mine for example? You guys are idiots if you think the way reviews are handled now is good. It's a fucking joke.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
bathala said:
Edge :MGS4 8__________IGN UK: MGS4 10
qxl4pt.gif
:lol :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Roxas said:
About this, on the opposite page to this there is a white page, with a small bunch of Three-Leaf Clover's in the bottom right corner. Anyone have ideas?
The teaser is 2 pages this month? Someone take a pic of the other half!

Mash

Dibbz said:
A review should be a non bias conclusion of the game. Their opinions should be mostly kept out if they are even trying to come off as professional.

What makes their opinion so much better that mine for example? You guys are idiots if you think the way reviews are handled now is good. It's a fucking joke.

I think the problem is people like you see professionalism and objectivity as synonymous. This isn't the 9 o'clock news, it's a review.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
nextmonthaug.jpg

I don't get this picture. Is the white thing supposed to be the flash from the camera or what?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seiken said:
nextmonthaug.jpg

I don't get this picture. Is the white thing supposed to be the flash from the camera or what?

It's probably the flash from the camera. The page is likely just a black page.

Yoshichan

gofreak said:
It's probably the flash from the camera. The page is likely just a black page.
So it's not supposed to be a dark forest or something?

LSM256

Banned
Not sure what you all who are questioning my views on Resistance are expecting me to say, but IMO Resistance is my favorite FPS to date.

The white is from his flash, the page is totally black apart from the text.
It's likely Black 2.

jj984jj said:
The teaser is 2 pages this month? Someone take a pic of the other half!
Edge always has inside front and back covers that continue the month's theme, often forming the Edge E logo. In this case the inside front is scattered seeds forming an E and the back is clovers forming an E. Clover -> Seeds -> Platinum Games, doyousee?
Edge has great art beyond it's covers.

Amarox

LSM256 said:
Sorry, I was underwhelmed by Ocarina personally. Maybe it's because I did not play it when it first hit, and there were already more modern games to compare it to.

As for what game deserves a 10?

Well first, do mean 10 in terms of what game has given you the ultimate enjoyment, or 10 in terms of technical flawlessness?

If it is the latter, then ummm none. No game is perfect.

If it is the former, then (strictly IMO) :

Resistance: Fall of Man (still the best FPS experience I've had to date)

Metal Gear Solid 2 (still the best video game story I have seen, and no I have not played MGS3 and remember little of MGS1)

God of War 1 and 2 (masterpieces no matter which way you cut them)

Halo 2 (close second to best FPS experience I've ever had)

Metroid Prime (still best entry in the series for me)

Castlevania Symphony of the Night (by far the best in series for me)

All I can think of at the moment.
So you didn't play Half Life 2 when It came out, I presume.

Yoshichan

LSM256 said:
Not sure what you all who are questioning my views on Resistance are expecting me to say, but IMO Resistance is my favorite FPS to date.
Favorite console fps, same here.

twofold

Dibbz said:

Wait, what?

I think what you're looking for is a "feature list", not a review.

If I was you, I'd stick to reading previews/press releases/blurbs on the back of game boxes.

joey_z

Banned
Doc Evils said:
Edge have lost their fucking minds giving GRID a higher score than MGS4.

Seriously fucking retarded.

Clearly you have had the pleasure of playing the retail version of both games.

Walshicus

Dibbz said:
A review should be a non bias conclusion of the game.

"She revealed her bias"
"He showed himself to be biased"
"The bias was clear to all"
"Could you be any more biased, she asked"

Gah!

Top Bottom