• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
Carrying lower elo games is about smashing them so hard they'll want to surrender. This involves early game dominance and ganking other lanes. Sure, there are the longer games, but if you can demoralise them early on, things get pretty rough for them. Esp if your top ganks mid, their mid laner will be pretty annoyed at their top laner.

AD carries:
Smash your lane opponent real hard to victory (easier) - Graves (soraka, sona, taric), Corki (leona, taric, alistar), MF (taric, alistar, sona).
Own the team fights real hard to victory - Vayne, Kogmaw.

Top carries: (these should have owning potential or gank potential)
Riven (own their face, v good mid ganks!)
Renekton (early game dominator, You can gank mid too!)
Shyvanna (hard pusher, strong duelist, steal their jungle!)
Olaf (own them, steal their jungle, gank mid!)
Shen (harass them, farm, ult!)

I actually don't do top heaps, just pick bruisers with good early games that can have an impact on either their jungle or their mid. Otherwise you'll have to smash your opponent pretty hard.

y2dvd

I think the lowest I hit was 1150. Feels bad man. A great jungler can help carry a game a tremendously. If a lane was counterpicked, help gank that lane and turn the tides.

Hauk

Neo Member
So with Olaf being free this week, he's been on every match I've played, either against or on our team or as me playing him. Did they at some point buff him like a bitch cause he is simply unstoppable every single time I've seen him? Just Phage/Frozen Mallet and some other dmg/health item and no one wins him ever. Starts to get on my nerves, either I play him for the rest of the week (don't own him yet) every game or suffer losses. He's not that fun either I think. Even a match with our team doing fairly well with me as a jungler with Warwick, had some good ganks etc., the opposing team's Olaf just carried his team like nothing in the end.

Blizzard

Banned
So with Olaf being free this week, he's been on every match I've played, either against or on our team or as me playing him. Did they at some point buff him like a bitch cause he is simply unstoppable every single time I've seen him? Just Phage/Frozen Mallet and some other dmg/health item and no one wins him ever. Starts to get on my nerves, either I play him for the rest of the week (don't own him yet) every game or suffer losses. He's not that fun either I think. Even a match with our team doing fairly well with me as a jungler with Warwick, had some good ganks etc., the opposing team's Olaf just carried his team like nothing in the end.
I think I was beyond terrible when I tried playing Olaf. Like with Poppy, I can't seem to figure out how to do damage even when I build the same items other people do.

However, for people who aren't me, I think Olaf's thing is that he will presumably win nearly any 1v1 fight (attacks faster the more he is hurt), and he deals true damage so armor and magic resist won't really stop him, and his ultimate means crowd control can't stop, catch, or contain him. Also I think his thing is that like Yorick, he should presumably win most any top lane.

So as long as it's 2 or 3 people against Olaf and he's by himself, you should do fine. Or if he uses his ult and then you catch him with the stunz afterwards, that could also work.

Blizzard

Banned
How is it even fair to lose ELO if someone on your team never connects?
It's not fair, but neither is ranked in that regard. Legend has it that if TWO people on your team are flagged as disconnected (red names at the end) then you will get a "Loss Prevented" for the 3v5. Unfortunately, when that happened to me not long ago, the people reconnected in time for the end of the game, so it was basically just a 3v5 loss with full ELO deduction.

Merovin

It's not fair, but neither is ranked in that regard. Legend has it that if TWO people on your team are flagged as disconnected (red names at the end) then you will get a "Loss Prevented" for the 3v5. Unfortunately, when that happened to me not long ago, the people reconnected in time for the end of the game, so it was basically just a 3v5 loss with full ELO deduction.

That's insane. I wish there was some way around it to avoid the penalty. I have had so many games that would have been easy wins, but lost because of one or two people not joining the game. Ah well, time to go reclaim that lost ELO I guess.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
That's insane. I wish there was some way around it to avoid the penalty. I have had so many games that would have been easy wins, but lost because of one or two people not joining the game. Ah well, time to go reclaim that lost ELO I guess.

It also work the other way too, someone in the other team will disconnect, and you ended up with an easy win.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Even a match with our team doing fairly well with me as a jungler with Warwick, had some good ganks etc., the opposing team's Olaf just carried his team like nothing in the end.
Were you both jungling? Warwick is one of the slowest junglers and Olaf is one of the fastest.

bigplays-1.jpg

Big plays guys. Big plays. 8 wins in a row and counting.

Somax

Just had an extremely odd ranked game.
We pick Varus, Soraka, Shen (me, top), Udyr and Gallo, and go versus
Pantheon (top), Yi (roaming), Warwick (jungle), Nunu (bot) and Zilean (mid).

I have no idea what they were trying to do, but their tactic seemed to be: let Varus farm an infinity edge in 12 minutes, go randomly around the map and die a lot.

Meh, a free win is a free win, but I am still baffled by how they got to level 30 and started playing ranked without any clue about what not to do...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so my friend just got me started on this, so bear with me here. I'm sure you get asked this a lot, but are there any good, very brief general pointers for a new player? I went ahead and bought Ashe, since I'd been told that she's a good beginner Champion, and I"m enjoying her quite a bit. I've got enough IP for one more cheaper Champion, but I'm not sure who else I want (not in a position to put any cash into the game right now, else I would).

But yeah, I dunno, just rambling here mostly. What should I know, as a new player?

Ken

Okay, so my friend just got me started on this, so bear with me here. I'm sure you get asked this a lot, but are there any good, very brief general pointers for a new player? I went ahead and bought Ashe, since I'd been told that she's a good beginner Champion, and I"m enjoying her quite a bit. I've got enough IP for one more cheaper Champion, but I'm not sure who else I want (not in a position to put any cash into the game right now, else I would).

But yeah, I dunno, just rambling here mostly. What should I know, as a new player?

Read a guide on what items to buy for your champion. Last hit. Tell your team when the person you're laning against is MIA. Buy wards.

Blizzard

Banned
I really wish that solomid (or some other site) didn't have such crazy popups/forced video ads/whatever. I would prefer normal ads and guides without videos.

I also wish that solomid had some easier way to find the guides for a specific champion than going to the site, hovering, clicking all guides, scrolling down to the very bottom, looking for the specific champion name in little text, and clicking it. For mobafire, you can google any champion, bring up the guide, and click on the champion name which takes you right to the page of all guides for that champion. Is there not a similar feature for solomid, and if not, why not?

Finally, I wish that solomid had guides that were updated more often. It seems like so often, there are a couple of highly-rated guides, but they are updated, say, 189 days ago. The jungle has been patched what, 3-4 times since then, to say nothing of lots of champion changes.

Check the first page. We have quite a few pointers there.

Stuff that I can remember:

Don't auto-attack early game.
Wards.
Are you squishy? Don't facecheck brush.
Wards.
Call out missing opponents.
Wards.

Inskipp

I also wish that solomid had some easier way to find the guides for a specific champion than going to the site, hovering, clicking all guides, scrolling down to the very bottom, looking for the specific champion name in little text, and clicking it.

wiqYT.jpg

Looks pretty easy to me.

And why would you want to view all guides? Featured/approved guides are the only ones that matter.

Inskipp

Some champs don't have a featured/approved guide that has been updated within the last year though.
Well I can't really speak much on that matter. From what I've seen, the fotm champs (Riven, Olaf, Graves etc) get updated pretty often.

Blizzard

Banned
Looks pretty easy to me.

And why would you want to view all guides? Featured/approved guides are the only ones that matter.
I want to view all guides for a particular champion, sorted by which ones are the most popular/successful, rather than whatever guide google or the site search pulls up.

Furthermore, I tried going to the main page -- that search feature you screenshotted isn't there. I then tried typing riven into the search box on the main page -- it brought up an ugly list of guide titles. I tried even clicking one of the guides, and still didn't see that search feature. Where did you go to get that box?

Inskipp

Furthermore, I tried going to the main page -- that search feature you screenshotted isn't there. I then tried typing riven into the search box on the main page -- it brought up an ugly list of guide titles. I tried even clicking one of the guides, and still didn't see that search feature. Where did you go to get that box?
Just click on the guides- button, and it will show up.

Blizzard

Banned
Just click on the guides- button, and it will show up.
Thanks. That's still not as nice as googling and then clicking the champion name on a mobafire guide, or doing a single click on the champion name from the mobafire main page, but it's useful to know.

Also, apparently solomid has only 5 Riven guides, and only 1 of them has been updated in the last 2 months.

I have 3100 ip, should I get Kat or Akali?
Why do you want one of them, and what play styles and ability do you like? It's hard to recommend one otherwise.

Achtius

I have the ip... I feel like I need to waste it.

Never played Akali before, Kat's ult is kinda fun.

I'll probably get Akali before I give up my life for diablo and guild wars 2 (so I can say I tried every champ (other than varus))

Ken

I have the ip... I feel like I need to waste it.

Never played Akali before, Kat's ult is kinda fun.

I'll probably get Akali before I give up my life for diablo and guild wars 2 (so I can say I tried every champ (other than varus))

Alkali is fun.

KevinRo

Playing ranked in low elo games are worse than normal games.

What do you do when your jungler cant jungle or when someone decides to troll you and have 2 junglers because you picked ad range... when you were first pick. Low ranked elo games are shit. Not even fun. This game really has a shitty community. It's just like HoN just with more little kids.

*edit*

Ah, that's yet another click that I didn't even realize I had to do -- turn on the option after I search to show featured as well as approved guides.

Try using http://lolpro.com They have really great guides and they're maintained.\

Also, try using http://championselect.net/ They list all the major guide sites and counterpicks etc.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just played a bots game with the friend who got me into LoL, went 0/6/14. Meanwhile he went 37/0/6. :lol I do seem to have trouble getting kills in general, which kinda sucks. But hey, I've only been playing LoL for less than a day, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Just played a bots game with the friend who got me into LoL, went 0/6/14. Meanwhile he went 37/0/6. :lol I do seem to have trouble getting kills in general, which kinda sucks. But hey, I've only been playing LoL for less than a day, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Yeah that's fine.

My friend got me into LoL as well. Still makes laugh when we were already Lv18 ish but somehow lost to Beginner bots.

Blizzard

Banned
I presumably need at least two consistent champions in every role, though it's unlikely I'll get there. For mid, what is a good champion who is hardly ever banned, can carry low level games most of the time, and has few counters? Kennen? I like the idea of no mana, but I'm a little worried about whether his damage will be enough to carry without dying a lot.

I presumably need at least two consistent champions in every role, though it's unlikely I'll get there. For mid, what is a good champion who is hardly ever banned, can carry low level games most of the time, and has few counters? Kennen? I like the idea of no mana, but I'm a little worried about whether his damage will be enough to carry without dying a lot.

His damage and CC will be enough.

I like Lux, if only that she's extremely safe.

elazullizard

Neo Member

If you rush zhonya's, you'll have an absurd amount of damage and can fearlessly initiate fights with your ult. If you try the Ego Ignaxio build though (wota, rylai's, abyssal, then zhonyas), you'll be very tanky and can win poke and kite fights with ease. So it depends on your playstyle really.

Sardello

Is the tribunal working fine for you all?

Starting from friday, I access the tribunal and the "you have done for today" page pop up.

Merovin

It also work the other way too, someone in the other team will disconnect, and you ended up with an easy win.

I've never had this, and as much as I love an easy win, I still think there should be a way for Riot to detect 1 afk for the entire game and give a loss forgiven to the losing team. That way, everyone is a winner, except the person who ruined the game.

My only advice to you, is to not buy any tier 1 or 2 runes, wait until you can get tier 3's. I did that, and a mate of mine got a few 1's and 2's, and now has trouble keeping up with his rune pages/champion buys because of the wasted IP.

AEGISX

Banned
Before u focus on champion kills, focus on creep kills. One champ is worth about 300 gold. That is about 12 creeps. You should compare your creep kill score with your friend and practice last hitting on creeps.
After playing some games on a smurf account. Seems a lot of new players focus only on harassing and killing champions. They either ignore creeps completely or just auto attack them hope to get the last hit. This is very bad, you shall not do this.

Just few days ago, Mascow 5'a Darien played a solo Shen on top lane. He got 500+ creep kills at 50 min mark. Let's say he didn't get any champ kills or towers, and each creep worth 20. That is 10,000 gold at 50min. Of course During that game, that Shen was unkillable and godlike because he had so many creep kills. He was so strong at the point 2 vs 1 can't kill him without badly injure one and sacrificing another champ. He was so strong that a Pro team (tsm) actually surrendered during a tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom