• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Sad I missed the inhouses. Was busy doing something first game, then fell asleep watching you guys play... so I missed the second.

The death of LoL is tonight too guys, nice knowing you :(

Okay, so my friend just got me started on this, so bear with me here. I'm sure you get asked this a lot, but are there any good, very brief general pointers for a new player? I went ahead and bought Ashe, since I'd been told that she's a good beginner Champion, and I"m enjoying her quite a bit. I've got enough IP for one more cheaper Champion, but I'm not sure who else I want (not in a position to put any cash into the game right now, else I would).

But yeah, I dunno, just rambling here mostly. What should I know, as a new player?

Ok, since I'm very new I'm going to try to tell you what would have been helpful for me. Keep in mind, I TOTALLY SUCK, but if you're still learning the mechanics and objectives, these things are probably helpful:

1) Play the tutorials. They are actually really good at the basics

2) Stay behind your creep line for the most part early on. Running out ahead of them is a good way to get killed by the other champs. Or hit by a turret.

3) Don't chase! This is so important. Don't chase! Even if the guy has so little health that one auto-attack will kill him, don't chase! Accept that you didn't get the kill. Sustaining your presence in your lane is VERY important. Be happy that you hurt them and forced them to retreat, making THEM miss out on XP and gold. Don't chase!

4) Find a guide you like on solomid for the champion you're using and alt-tab out (or write it down) to follow the build order.

5) Understand the turrets. They attack creeps by default. However: If you attack an enemy champion, the turrets will prioritize YOU, no matter how many creeps are underneath. This is another reason to not chase.

Blizzard

Banned
Ok, since I'm very new I'm going to try to tell you what would have been helpful for me. Keep in mind, I TOTALLY SUCK, but if you're still learning the mechanics and objectives, these things are probably helpful:

1) Play the tutorials. They are actually really good at the basics

2) Stay behind your creep line for the most part early on. Running out ahead of them is a good way to get killed by the other champs. Or hit by a turret.

3) Don't chase! This is so important. Don't chase! Even if the guy has so little health that one auto-attack will kill him, don't chase! Accept that you didn't get the kill. Sustaining your presence in your lane is VERY important. Be happy that you hurt them and forced them to retreat, making THEM miss out on XP and gold. Don't chase!

4) Find a guide you like on solomid for the champion you're using and alt-tab out (or write it down) to follow the build order.

5) Understand the turrets. They attack creeps by default. However: If you attack an enemy champion, the turrets will prioritize YOU, no matter how many creeps are underneath. This is another reason to not chase.
Addendum: If the enemy champion is Singed, you should totally chase.
Just kidding, that makes you die in hilarious fashion.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know which game was what, but I had a positive ratio in some inhouse game last night so I'm going to act like I was pro. ( '_')7

I still don't know whether I actually picked katarina or whether the time ran out while I was trying to talk to people and I got randomed into katarina.

Telaso

Banned
I don't know which game was what, but I had a positive ratio in some inhouse game last night so I'm going to act like I was pro. ( '_')7

I still don't know whether I actually picked katarina or whether the time ran out while I was trying to talk to people and I got randomed into katarina.

Regardless, as Vayne I waited for your ult to E every time :)

Double smite worked surprisingly well for me yesterday. I ran it in a pre-made draft and stole red under their noses. It was quite hilarious when their udyr came to take revenge by steal my red and I used my pillar(trundle) to stall him and have mid/top come help finish him off. A couple good ward placements later and I had 3 red steals and 2 blue steals throughout the game. I ruined his jungle time and he was so underleveled by the end of it all. Poor Udyr

Blizzard

Banned
Regardless, as Vayne I waited for your ult to E every time :)
Your whole team was good, I'm not denying that. I'm just acting like I was awesomely successful and pro in comparison (presumably since I sacrificed teammates to die in my place). :p I didn't save gold or damage charts though so I can't actually compare.

I would like to do a practice game against cass mid, if anyone else wants to practice. Apparently both ranked games I did pretty well against cass, but they were probably quite bad...my biggest problem with her is that I don't understand the burst radius and timing of the poison cloud. I think it's a skillshot, but it seems nearly impossible to dodge it even with shunpo, as if the trigger time is 250 ms or less. When people have 80-120 ms ping, that gets even tougher, and I don't know that I have EVER had ping under 70-80 ms.

Samyy

I think im about your elo, I play cass but not that much, still if you wanna practice let me know, (in the evenings)

Blizzard

Banned
Just had a masterful jungle Fiddle game. Not sure where I pulled that from.
Fiddlesticks is one of those mysterious champions who's usually only good when he's on the other team, and then 1 out of every 200 games, you have an awesome jungle fiddle who helps all the lanes and you win.

Blizzard

Banned
But I just bought Kennen with 4800 IP! D:

Two of the things that throw me off the most with him (other than not doing damage) are his energy usage, which I need to learn to time, and his Q. Even smartcast Q seems to have a little animation and delay, as opposed to someone like kat that shoots it more immediately.

Jenga

Banned
doing ranked and enemy team picks twitch and blitz duo bot

"gee guys they're gonna grab and gank just watch out and you'll do fine"

and then everyone gets fucked up because they're too stupid to not farm by themselves with twitch mia and blitz lurking around last hitting the other side

seriously, blitz grab is the easiest shit to juke in this fucking game, this isn't dota 2 with a map long pudge hook

Blizzard

Banned
Oh no. Access denied and all, but please tell me this is optional. My ancient PC struggles to keep LoL going at 15FPS as it is.
It's fancier textures and a sales gnome which make the game kind of look more like DOTA 2. I actually don't really like that since I don't really like how DOTA 2 looks. =/

However, it's supposed to actually improve performance on lower-end machines or something?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
IMPROVE performance on low-end machines? Hm. I'm tentatively excited, then.

Also, thinking about getting Master Yi. Would he be a good beginner character?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Master Yi is really farm dependent, high risk but high reward. If you enjoy playing melee AD carry and just tearing through people then he's really fun.

Not sure I'd recommend him for a new player but he's not complicated to learn, and his jungle is decent.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I guess I'm just trying to figure out which of the really cheap characters in the store I want to pick up. Poppy, Nunu, Master Yi, Kayle, Ryze, Soraka, Sivir, Annie. And Ashe, but I already got her. I like the look of Sivir and Master Yi, honestly.

Haly

If you must choose between Sivir or Yi, choose Yi.

Master Yi is really farm dependent, high risk but high reward. If you enjoy playing melee AD carry and just tearing through people then he's really fun.

Not sure I'd recommend him for a new player but he's not complicated to learn, and his jungle is decent.
I feel like Yi actually does well in low level games.

Haly

There's that, it's easier for melee AD carries to do their thing in lower level games cause people don't know how to focus.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Picked up Yi and Annie. Haven't tried Yi yet, but holy shit Annie is awesome. Probably shoulda looked at the F2P characters before blindly buying her, so I could try her out first, but I love playing her so I guess it doesn't matter. :lol

Boken

Banned
New baron is so cute :3

League Of Diablo (battletags):
Ferrio#1708
Achtius#1264
boken#1844
kiunchbb#1169

will add all.
will change keybinds to qwer also

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of yi I just nearly lost to a backdooring one in ranked because we were super unfocused. Finally got it to together and started doing the hunt-the-yi, then push game, cruised from there.

I had a horrible ryze game and got reported for feeding. Does anyone have tips for playing him? I'm convinced I played him for a few games a while back before the change, and I thought I used to have more mana with tear + catalyst, but he takes SO MUCH minion damage or something. I don't even realize I'm autoattacking the other champion or anything, yet I'm always taking a ton of damage without dishing any out. And I try to do the Q W Q E Q kind of combos, but those take so long until I get late game frozen heart or whatever, I can't really do them. Oh, and spell vamp ult doesn't seem to heal much at all!

I'd rather learn Kennen mid.

bjaelke

The graphical overhaul looks fantastic.
Support Leona. Stun all the things.

http://i.imgur.com/0LA70.jpg

She has a delightful amount of CC. Really enjoyed playing her this past week.
Speaking of yi I just nearly lost to a backdooring one in ranked because we were super unfocused. Finally got it to together and started doing the hunt-the-yi, then push game, cruised from there.

I had a horrible ryze game and got reported for feeding. Does anyone have tips for playing him? I'm convinced I played him for a few games a while back before the change, and I thought I used to have more mana with tear + catalyst, but he takes SO MUCH minion damage or something. I don't even realize I'm autoattacking the other champion or anything, yet I'm always taking a ton of damage without dishing any out. And I try to do the Q W Q E Q kind of combos, but those take so long until I get late game frozen heart or whatever, I can't really do them. Oh, and spell vamp ult doesn't seem to heal much at all!

I'd rather learn Kennen mid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPk-W_d55iA

Flare

It really does look amazing, even on low. The the frame rate went up by at least 10. This and the Ashe remodel in one patch? I can't wait.

y2dvd

Upcoming free champion rotation is RIDICULOUS. I want to play half of them.

Sona is the only champ you need.

fPhpN.jpg
Play 1800 elo
Troll team
Pick AP Sona mid
Carries team instead
=
Profit!

She's just the most comfortable support character to me (and ap carry lulz)!
Seriously kids, don't play ap Sona @_@

IMPROVE performance on low-end machines? Hm. I'm tentatively excited, then.

Also, thinking about getting Master Yi. Would he be a good beginner character?

I wouldn't say he's beginner friendly at all. I'd go with someone tankier or with target spells like Gankplank or Kassadin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom