• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition

Lom1lo

The led on the front of the Pro is an absolute design disgrace. The buttons aren't much better. Triple stack design is ymmv for who likes it and who doesn't, personally, I think it's ugly. I'd rather just have a reasonably sized black slab with a sleekish front panel. The Pro isn't fat PS3 levels of bad, but it's still bad. Sony needs to reshuffle whatever high paid designers they have working on hardware.

Fat Ps3 was a beauty, you could say a fat princess heh

Ps4 Pro is just ugly, there is no worse console out there lol

Audioboxer

Fat Ps3 was a beauty, you could say a fat princess heh

Ps4 Pro is just ugly, there is no worse console out there lol

The Spiderman font was one of the worst decisions of all time. A coming together of the completely shit-tastic Sony Movies wanting to infect Sony PlayStation. PlayStation signed off on it though.

Sony is just incredibly inconsistent with hardware designs. Some are good, others are trash. MS can be inconsistent too, but in the current moment, the One X is beating the Pro (minus the tacky Matrix font, but that is temporary). Ultimately, I have no idea how corporations of these sizes can have all the money in the world and still somehow end up recruiting designers who provide the abysmal cosmetic hardware designs that get signed off. Every time you see something terrible there is 6,000 mockups online made to fix it or show them what they should have done.

I understand engineers adamantly state what is required for good airflow in these small-ish boxes, but some of the designs that get built around that requirement are still WTF at times.

MaulerX

Love it. Green font and all. If you look closely It's textured not just at the top, but the front side as well. Beautiful.

The Spiderman font was one of the worst decisions of all time. A coming together of the completely shit-tastic Sony Movies wanting to infect Sony PlayStation. PlayStation signed off on it though.

Sony is just incredibly inconsistent with hardware designs. Some are good, others are trash. MS can be inconsistent too, but in the current moment, the One X is beating the Pro. Ultimately, I have no idea how corporations of these sizes can have all the money in the world and still somehow end up recruiting or signing off on abysmal hardware designs. Every time you see something terrible there is 6,000 mockups online made to fix it or show them what they should have done.

Mock-ups don't account for internal setup, cost inefficiencies of the materials needed, assembly time, etc.

Lastly, how much emphasis and importance is placed on industrial design at the leadership level. This is an extremely subjective thing, different people will have different visual valuations.

Audioboxer

Mock-ups don't account for internal setup, cost inefficiencies of the materials needed, assembly time, etc.

Lastly, how much emphasis and importance is placed on industrial design at the leadership level. This is an extremely subjective thing, different people will have different visual valuations.

I edited that in above. When it comes to fonts on consoles, using gloss, ridiculous ergonomically offensive button designs or a stupid LED that cuts out halfway for no reason those are design decisions which have nothing to do with airflow/internals. The triple stack design isn't even needed either for airflow, the Pro could still be as big as it is with vents and do something a bit less dumb to differentiate itself from the standard PS4. The buttons and the LED are the worst design offenders on the Pro though, the triple stack is just ugly.

MS's light up logo is a far better LED than Sony's bargain warehouse LED strip slapped on. A light up PS logo on the front of the console would be far more pleasing and it's not going to break the bank having it. It's the same cheap LED but instead, it's behind a mould cut out on the plastic casing.

EmiPrime

I really like the lettering and the OG Xbox nod with the box and after all my moaning on GAF about the price, I think I am going to pre-order one tonight anyway.

Not sure what that says about me...

I edited that in above. When it comes to fonts on consoles, using gloss, ridiculous ergonomically offensive button designs or a stupid LED that cuts out halfway for no reason those are design decisions which have nothing to do with airflow/internals. The triple stack design isn't even needed either for airflow, the Pro could still be as big as it is with vents and do something a bit less dumb to differentiate itself from the standard PS4. The buttons and the LED are the worst design offenders on the Pro though, the triple stack is just ugly.

My second sentence was the nice way of putting it, but if you take it away...some designers are just bad at industrial design aesthetically, period. And execs who sign off on these stuff don't care enough about aesthetics to tell their designers to do a better job.

Audioboxer

My second sentence was the nice way of putting it, but if you take it away...some designers are just bad at industrial design aesthetically, period. And execs who sign off on these stuff don't care enough about aesthetics to tell their designers to do a better job.

I can agree there. Sony should take care and pride though, as they're always going on about how PlayStation is an iconic brand, which it is. Usually, when they release something which fans routinely say is ugly they do go back and do better with a slim revision. I mean, I bet the inevitable slim Pro looks far better.

I own the original XB1 with the half gloss on top which is offensive, however, even although it's a bit bigger than is eye pleasing the console still arguably looks a bit classier in the average TV setup. The PS4 is decent enough, but the Pro looks like a toy. Black slabs might not be exciting, but a sleek black slab with a light up logo is just enough to point out what you are (hey passers by I'm an Xbox/PS, gaze at my light up brand logo!) within the average TV setup these days. Stick an OS setting in for how bright the logo light is (or even an ability to turn it off) and you have an ergonomic user setting too. Have that setting only kick in if the OS successfully boots and then diagnostics can still be done with an LED light if a console isn't booting up correctly. It's really not hard to design good looking functional hardware that the user can also customize. Fricking modems have been including device LED settings for years.

But, please enjoy the incoming PS5/XB2 which will for no apparent reason go back to gloss or a half gloss design before they get revised. It's almost as if it's some sadistic plan by CEOs and hardware designers to increase sales of revised hardware models.

EmiPrime

I can't keep my PS4 Pro in rest mode because the chimps that programmed its firmware didn't think to have it safely unmount external HDDs before turning off power to the USB ports and keeping power to the USB ports means the fan never goes off.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I can't keep my PS4 Pro in rest mode because the chimps that programmed its firmware didn't think to have it safely unmount external HDDs before turning off power to the USB ports and keeping power to the USB ports means the fan never goes off.

Wrong thread?

EmiPrime

Wrong thread?

There was discussion re LEDs and how consoles look from the front. My Pro may as well be invisible most of the time as I can't use rest mode, it's a fairly non-descript stack of black slabs without them compared to the other consoles in my setup which are far more distinct.

UraMallas

I think it looks great but I'm wondering if this is Gamestop only? Since your 'hardcore' crowd might go there first you might see them get this version. Especially since Gamestop tweeted yesterday about having an 'exclusive' preorder thinger.

Caayn

So going by the box, this edition will be 1TB as well :(

Why does Microsoft think 1TB is enough for their "premium" console when they're releasing games that are >100GB in size?

Never cease to amaze me, that salt and hate.

It's why I'm rarely on gaming side much these days. Not a page goes by without cringe-worthy posts.

You'd think it'd be easy enough to convey your distaste for the green lettering without trying to shit on the entire system and its sales history, lmao.

I won't get this day one because I don't own a 4k TV yet, but I'll get it eventually.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Digging the OG xbox green text. Looks nice. I would have rather see the controller hav ethe Project Scorpio text written horizontally across the bottom, under the dpad and right stick, i think that would have looked nicer. But NBD.

Top Bottom