• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 3: Change |OT| SCHEDULEBENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Bolin's romance is just inoffensive, nothing great, to be honest the series never really had that great of romance, and most of the couples were just two people that liked one another. Hell, it's sad that the most interesting couple that actually had some growth between one another is Zuko and Mai.

That being said, since romance was such a small part of the original series, it wasn't a big deal.

I have no issue with Bolin's romance with Opal on paper, it's whatever. But if I have to nitpick, I would say they should have done a bit more to establish that Opal already had a crush on him (would have been a good use of him being famous as a mover star). That way when she first saw him and was taken with him, would have made more sense (whereas the way it was executed, feels sort of contrived?). Although I guess it's possible to just be infatuated by someones looks.

However, I think the lack of build up between them, and how Opal is around him kind of plays into peoples fears that she is playing him (because it doesn't seem natural). It's another example of the writers being kind of stilted at this sort of thing. But on paper, their personalities mesh.

Oh another nitpick, I hated how they made Bolin a douche (prior to him falling for her). It then makes it out like, Bolin doesn't really like Opal for Opal. He only likes her because she wants his D (literally, that's how that bathroom scene came across as). And I found that shameful (it was a small little scene, but it really was a bad moment for Bolin). It also kind of undercuts their romantic moments, because it feels like Bolin is only into her, because she's..into him (and that's just lol douchey, I'm sorry). And this of course plays into the larger narrative of Bolin and his romance's never being taken seriously. It's like, Bolin just falls in love with whoever is willing to give him a second look. There isn't anything inherently wrong with that personality (people exist like that), but I dunno. It doesn't really work for me, personally. Because then why do I actually care about Bolin and Opal (or whoever he currently likes), if it's just an infatuation and nothing of depth to it. She's just another flavor of the season for him. bleh.

OKAY so maybe I do have some issues with it afterall. :p

Let's just say, I don't hate the idea of it. And if they do decide to flesh that out more, I'm okay with it (because I like her personality, and I think they could have chemistry based on their personalities). So I'm cautiously optimistic. But haven't been a big fan of how they set it up.

360pages

The biggest risk with Opal is the fact that she might just exist to be Bolin's girlfriend, and considering how they handled Asami.

Honestly, I think both of the previous girls he dated are more interesting, yes even the movie star. (When was the last time we actually see an actor portrayed well in a story, she could have been an interesting character,) nope they made her shallow and boring.

Mononoke

Banned
The biggest risk with Opal is the fact that she might just exist to be Bolin's girlfriend, and considering how they handled Asami.

Honestly, I think both of the previous girls he dated are more interesting, yes even the movie star. (When was the last time we actually see an actor portrayed well in a story, she could have been an interesting character,) nope they made her shallow and boring.

Yeah, that would be terrible given her family's complex history, and the fact that she is an airbender. There is absolutely no reason why she couldn't be a vital/interesting character.

Sadly, this show has been awful with all their side characters (there is just too many at this point). And given that we are going into the final season soon, my bet is she is just there to be his boyfriend (if their relationship survives this season that is lmao). I mean, I can't even see them utilizing Mako or Asami at this point effectively, so what chance does Opal have?

360pages

Opal right now has an interesting back story, but she plays the role as (The girl) other than being nice...I really haven't noticed much else about her. Hell, I forget she's supposed to be an air-bender.

DedValve

Banned
Opal is another potential character though I wonder how much they can fit in the 13 episode span.

It was so interesting that Opal was a non-bender her entire life only to finally come out as an airbender. I was hoping it'd get to her ego, she finally is a bender and not only that but one as critical as an airbender.

Her entire life she watched her two brothers make her mother proud with their inherent ability to earth/metal bend and even though Suyin clearly loved all her children it can eat at her. Make her a parallel from Bumi (who found strength through being a non-bender) and give her a different outlook, one that benders = superiority. Hey you know what else? Tie that shit to the Amon incident. Let korra deal with a repeating problem but this time with a different solution, one that doesn't involve beating the shit out of Opal to within an inch of her life but more Avatar stuff like peace and feelings and shit. (Which Korra did demonstrate a lot of this season which is why I'm really warming up to the character...FINALLY).

*shrugs* its whatever I guess. I've learned to keep expectations in check and just wait for the pretty fight scenes, if the story and pacing are pretty great and flow well enough than that's just a bonus and so far S3 has just been one big bonus level for me.

I also really like Kai so what do I know?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Fuck it. Buy Adult Swim, ensure their programs never go bunk, give me more venture bros and Metalocalypse. Buy Young Justice AND Avatar, work on new shit.

Do this Netflix and I'll pay you copious amounts of moolah. COPIUS AMOUNTS.

As much of a cult following those things have, there's a reason they don't last long.

They're not cheap, and they have to sell toys to pay for it. Sadly, it's hard for these shows to exist in a place where live action and kids shows have the high profit margins.

I'm just glad we're getting Season 4 after Season 3 didn't even do well enough to stay on the air. That itself is unheard of.

wildfire

Banned
As much of a cult following those things have, there's a reason they don't last long.

They're not cheap, and they have to sell toys to pay for it. Sadly, it's hard for these shows to exist in a place where live action and kids shows have the high profit margins.

I'm just glad we're getting Season 4 after Season 3 didn't even do well enough to stay on the air. That itself is unheard of.

Not unheard of. Just extremely rare. Like Thanos or Futurama.

Mononoke

Banned
Nick really doesn't have a history of selling IPs (even when it's niche titles that didn't do well, and they have no reason to not sell them). I have no idea if this is just like, a companies policy to not sell IPs. But I've seen them sit on a lot of shows (that could have made money in other places).

That said, the difference is the Avatar Universe has huge potential on another network. Someone would probably pay good money for it (as opposed those other niche shows I talked about). Bottom line, it all depends if Nick is 100% over the Avatar universe. I think for now, they definitely are. It's not a show that is hitting their target demographics (it doesn't line up with their new vision). But they might think the property is something they can make money on later down the line.

I dunno. I just feel like the likelihood of it being sold in the next 3 years is very unlikely. Also, I can't imagine the creators WANT to get back into that universe any time soon. They probably want to jump into a new project.

360pages

I wouldn't mind a Avatar series, that actually wasn't focused on the Avatar, like just some dude trying to rescue his girlfriend, or a few people trying to bring down an evil corporation of some sort. Something on a smaller scale. No god like Avatar state, or random spirits, something more focused around a singular group rather than an entire city or world.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, I mean things are happening all over the world, at different times.

Pappasman

I wouldn't mind a Avatar series, that actually wasn't focused on the Avatar, like just some dude trying to rescue his girlfriend, or a few people trying to bring down an evil corporation of some sort. Something on a smaller scale. No god like Avatar state, or random spirits, something more focused around a singular group rather than an entire city or world.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, I mean things are happening all over the world, at different times.

It would be cool to see a story in a time period after an avatar's death but before the new avatar is discovered. I think there is some potential there for a pretty cool story.

black-kid-crying.gif
That pic...is that a spoiler for The Wire?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, people, stop posting spoilers from different shows.

DedValve

Banned
What's this about spoilers? Am I too tired to recognize sarcasm or....?

Something about Besada spoiling Thanos for Guardians of the Galaxy, getting demodded, and then he spoils the story of Titanic ruining film for everyone. Ever.

Harry Potter defeats Voldemort and has children with Ginnie

Mononoke

Banned
What's this about spoilers? Am I too tired to recognize sarcasm or....?

I have no idea either. None of the pictures posted here are spoilers lol.

Something about Besada spoiling Thanos for Guardians of the Galaxy, getting demodded, and then he spoils the story of Titanic ruining film for everyone. Ever.

*Checks Besada's status, sees he's still a mod. Confused as fuck*

Ah so it's one of those GAF inside jokes of the week. Like the relaxing in the bath tub. AAAA-HAAA-HAAAALL RIGHTY THEN.

DedValve

Banned
I have no idea either. None of the pictures posted here are spoilers lol.

*Checks Besada's status, sees he's still a mod. Confused as fuck*

Ah so it's one of those GAF inside jokes of the week. Like the relaxing in the bath tub. AAAA-HAAA-HAAAALL RIGHTY THEN.

Just check out the Guardians of the Galaxy thread. It has been consistently in the top 5 threads on page 1 today when some doofus *SUPER MASSIVE SPOILERS ABOUT THE MOVIE*
lex luthor is evil, dr. doom loses, superman is weak to kryptonite, mahvel sucks, wolverine dies, spiderman is blatino, spiderman is white, oh and theres some purple pimp who beats the shit out of the guardians but will be defeated by the avengers his name is Thanos and we should apparently be scared?

EDIT: At least everyone so far has been kind enough to not post spoilers on the game of thrones lol.

Astral Dog

Yeah. Although I still think that on paper, Amon's backstory could have worked. It would have still been disappointing (given the way the character was presented, and how it undermines the Equalist movement as a deeper/complex plot point). It was just terrible how they shoehorned his entire backstory in 10 min of exposition in the finale. It really gave you no time to process it. And really, it just completely undercut the character, the movement, all in one swoop.

I mean, Amon could have been motivated by revenge (or rather, his hatred for his fathers obsession with bending ruining his family. And then wanting to get rid of bending). I mean, that pretty much was his motivation (at least that's how I saw it). But it was just soooo poorly done. So instead of feeling for Amon, or seeing how he tied his past to the equalist movement, the guy just came off as a big fraud.

The other obvious issue is the movement itself. The writers never wanted to explore it (the actual social issues).

But for me, the finale's worst moments is just the ending itself (how Korra has everything fixed). I'll always be let down with Amon's plot, but on some level I can kind of deal with it (because I see it more as a failure to flesh it out vs. an outright terrible plot point). It's more of a disappointment, because it had so much more potential. But I can't forgive the Korra tear bending shit. Nope.

Yeah it was handled very poorly, but Its implied somewhat that there was not much inequality except for the triads, wich are treated like criminals anyway, Tarrlok, wich we know he is corrupt, and the equalist themselves, breaking the law, apart from that nowhere in the show there is proof that benders oppress the nonbenders in any way, or that the city or goverment promote wrse treatment for nonbenders, even some of the most succesful people on the city like Sato or the cabbage guy are not benders, and at the end the new president was a nonbender too, some of the equalist do did not have a good reason to support Amon and were just manipulated by him, or could be victims of people like Yakone.

They should have shown Korra willing to listen to some equalist representative after she defeated Amon and help appoint the new president, but i guess that was not important :p

Kard8p3

GAF a matchup I've always wondered about has been Toph vs Bumi . Thoughts on how the fight would go? IMO I feel like Peak Bumi vs Peak Toph would have to go to Bumi. Fucker was throwing buildings around at the oldest age possible and took back his city vs Fire Nation army in a matter of what seemed to be minutes(how long was the Eclipse again? An hour max?) I know Toph can metal bend, but TBH I feel like it would be something Bumi could do if he actually tried for once in his life. He was of course also a member of the White Lotus (back when it was cool).

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
GAF a matchup I've always wondered about has been Toph vs Bumi . Thoughts on how the fight would go? IMO I feel like Peak Bumi vs Peak Toph would have to go to Bumi. Fucker was throwing buildings around at the oldest age possible and took back his city vs Fire Nation army in a matter of what seemed to be minutes(how long was the Eclipse again? An hour max?) I know Toph can metal bend, but TBH I feel like it would be something Bumi could do if he actually tried for once in his life. He was of course also a member of the White Lotus (back when it was cool).

Stalemate. Creativity vs pure skill.

It's like Globetrotters vs '96 Bulls. One is scoring 30 3 pointers a quarter and the other is bringing out ladders and trampolines and shit.

Bumi always reminded me of Drunken Boxing, just crazy and unpredictable right?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm sure everyone here already knows that Asami is the light of my life, the fire of my loins, etc.

That being said, as much as I love her, she's not faring much better for similar reasons: the lack of agency, and then they don't flesh out her motivations.

The most glaring form of this is throughout basically the entirety of book 2, where her role and her storyline are hijacked to flesh out the male characters around her - Varrick and Mako. Asami is made the passenger in a plot about the safety and stability of the company that she inherited from her father. She's got the pieces in place to start her own personal journey, but that subplot isn't about her, really. It's about learning that Mako is a great detective, and about how he will go the distance to find out the truth, even if it's in conflict with the ideals of his job. That Mako, right?

Asami follows Mako to the triads and we don't get to see any form of resistance? She's just there to accompany him because Mako has an idea that these same types of people that killed Asami's mother - these same types of people that triggered the event that would allow Hiroshi's anger to fester for a decade and then blossom into a breed of hatred that burns so hot and so brightly that it blinds him as he attempts to crush and maim and mangle his daughter in his wife's (her mother!!!) name - have a way to help her company. We don't get to explore any kind of reluctance? She just follows? She accepts help from these people? She's as good as a lamp until she has to drive them both to safety in a scene that's reminiscent of literally every badass sidekick chick scene in every action movie ever (and then the sidekick chick goes on to be nothing short of worthless the rest of the movie until she has one more moment and then is worthless again). This is about Mako and his inhibitions about working with Triads after getting out of all of that gang shit and being directly at odds with it now that he's a cop.

Next she... breaks down or whatever, and the way they express her vulnerability is through having her kiss Mako, because Mako is representative of Resolve and Reason in this subplot, both things that Asami apparently lacks. And he rejects her, then takes her later, then kisses his ex in front of a group of people THEN IN FRONT OF HER, and she doesn't even say anything. Amazing! Amazing. And this is after Mako puts the pieces together and Asami is happily signing her life away to Varrick because she's desperate and dumb I guess, and can't realize that she's being played by this guy at all, even though Mako's practically been laying it out in front of her all this time.

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but when Mako went to jail and Bolin came to visit, Bolin told Mako that Asami couldn't bring herself to visit him in jail because it reminded her of her imprisoned father. Like... we couldn't explore that with Asami? Bolin had to speak for her on this? It was absolutely shameless. That scene alone is the tl;dr version of how they treat Asami Sato's role in her story. Amazing.

Asami is a female character that has an incredible journey she needs to conquer. She has to live up to the greatness of the Sato name, and yet she has to cut herself from it so that she may rebuild it in her image, not her father's. Like Katara, or even Zuko, her story intersects with the Avatar's, but is also independent of it. She has to learn to carve her own path and build a better Future [Industries]. But she can't, because she has to take a backseat first to Mako, and then to Varrick, who essentially usurps her role as the engineer. She plays second fiddle to him. It'll be a miracle if we get to see Asami Sato, CEO of Future Industries, whose father was an inventor and innovator and likely trained Asami most of her life to take on this role someday (but not so soon, since she's a baby in corporate years), invent anything. And we don't need to. Because Varrick does that! But she can be relegated to Appa-tier transportation without the Appa-tier affection. And I guess she can fight or something, but she's not going to get put in the vicinity of any real danger (unlike Sokka), lest she be willing to die a quick death. You know, like when the writers fridged Asami's mother.

Basically, I wouldn't point to either Korra or Asami as positive female role models because of how weakly they're written in the context of the story. Asami is slightly ahead though, if only for the fact that she respects Korra enough as a person to not make a move on Mako while they're still together.
pDI3X.gif

This kinda ties into why I don't like Mako. He weakens Korra's story and he weakens Asami's story. Too many moments of greatness that either of them could have are wasted on his character. Amon compliments the bending of ONE PERSON the entire time he was active in the show, and who does he give that compliment to? Mako. SHAMELESS.

That's why I'm always mad about him in here even when he does things that are completely innocuous.
9deUP.gif

edit: omfg this post is so long and its about a cartoon character im a mess

I agree. Mako is a terrible character he ruins everything he touches even the metal bending police

Hamlet

Good question :/

Fair game after 12:30pm due to the official site? Idk, looks like other sites are going early.

Fair game once the episode is released on Nick sounds good and maybe spoiler tags before that if any of the other sites put them up early again
Otherwise it might end up looking like a CIA report in here

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I can't access it due to not being in the states: http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-209-full-episode.html

Is it up? Main page makes it seem like it.

EDIT: Yep, just saw it:
Thought it was pretty good, the fight scene was decent and the explanation fair (though kinda iffy-- just killing off world leaders doesn't make their nation disappear, and what are they gonna do after? Seems kinda of a 'generic villain wants chaos' plot).
I just hope that this season continues onto the next, they can't possibly wrap this up well in 3 episodes.

Saw it

Zaheer's back story and motivation are lame as hell. Hope there's more to it.

Solid episode though, pretty funny stuff. Really reminds me of ATLA.

Hamlet

Good episode
Lots of great funny little moments also
So we finally we find out what the motive was for Red Lotus "the natural order is disorder" and yeah so they want chaos but well at least there are some positives like getting rid of corrupt governments and kingdoms even if their methods aren't the the best/right ways to do it
Pretty brutal way to get rid off Aiwei an eternity in the fog of lost souls isn't going to be pleasant
Action sequences still great as usual

Uzzy

Damn good episode. Zaheer's motivations
reminded me a bit of the anarchist movements, which given the 1920's inspired setting seems rather appropriate.

Kinvara

Episode 9:
I like Zaheer's motivations. We've seen in this series how corrupt some of the various governments are... if you consider the fact that The Red Lotus probably grew up under oppressive regimes- I don't blame them for wanting to overthrow the current order. Their anarchist philosophy fits them well.

Considering how horrible the Earth Queen is, I wouldn't mind it at all if she was taken out by The Red Lotus and it looks like that's where the finale is headed.

Hamlet

Episode 9:
Considering how horrible the Earth Queen is, I wouldn't mind it at all if she was taken out by The Red Lotus and it looks like that's where the finale is headed.

Yeah I would be quite happy if Red Lotus was to take out the eathqueen especially after what she apparently did to Bosco
RIP Bosco you'll be avenged

Volotaire

Hmm, anarchy as a motive in Zaheer's plan. I can connect to this, given that I was once thinking about being an anarchist. I also like how there are blurred lines between Kora's and Zaheer's plans and motives as well for the world. I was a skeptic of Zaheer and his gang at first, but this episode has turned me around. And now we have a three way battle, the Earth Queen, Zaheer and Team Avatar. I'm also hoping for some more nostalgic elements in the next few episodes from past characters such as Zuko or perhaps Toph (if she's alive). I was hoping they would touch upon the wealth gap implications in the earlier Ba Sing Se episodes, and although this isn't totally dealing directly with those problems, it seems to be touching upon those with anarchist ideals. It's also an area I wish ATLA touched upon. Moreover, we got some slight spirit interactions with humans this episode, with some spirit racism in the shop of the man. This is what I was hoping more for in this season, and i hope this continues.

Mononoke

Banned
Really liked this episode!

I just think it did a lot of things right. It felt like an episode that really used its time wisely. We got some MUCH needed plot where Team Avatar is together, Zaheer's motivation/backstory, some good action. I really really liked the background setting in this episode too (the desert town), and how they used the spirits (something that's been disappointing, since I really thought we should see more of them in the physical world after Episodes 1 & 2).

Pros:

Mako + Bolin are always good together. I always enjoy their chemistry. Really liked their venture into town + their fight sequence again (they have some of the better choreography when they fight together).

Asami + Bolin playing Pai Sho. This was just a brief moment, but it was FINALLY nice to see members of the group...be friends *gasp* And it was nicely integrated into the plot (ie. them having to wait around and being bored. Reminded me of something from ATLA).

Bolin's mover stuff finally came into play. I've always said that people should know how famous he is. So I was glad they finally played that off (in a funny way).

Zaheer - he's just a great character. I know not everyone likes his voice actor, but I think the character always commands a presence. I really appreciated the route they went with him where he just sat down, and had a deep talk with Korra. Just a really great scene.

Cons:

Zaheer being able to jump around in the spirit world and take Aiwei to the valley of lost souls. I mean, the guys is already OP as hell. And then he's able to talk with his physical body while in the spirit world? Psh (this is just a nitpick).

Lin + Suyin stuff being brushed off. Kind of expected there to be more ramifications for Suyin lying to her. But it was played off like it was nothing big. Also, kind of surprised that Suyin didn't just say it was Korra that left without telling either of them (although I guess that might not fly seeing as the metal bending city closes at night).

I really don't have anything else I would say bothered me. As far as Zaheer's motivation goes, I'm totally okay with it. At least it wasn't some "revenge" plot. I actually like how Zaheer believes what he's doing is right (compared to Amon and Unalaq).

Joeytj

Banned
Lol, got up just before 9:00 a.m. to watch it first on Nick.com but apparently it's already out on Amazon. Ok, going to watch it now.

EDIT: Ok, awesome episode.
Zaheer's motivations aren't that original. Hell, it's Batman Begins again. But that's ok, everybody is already familiar with the anarchist type villains who believe they are doing good, so it's something "deep" but not that convoluted of a motivation for a 13 episode series villain. And it goes well with the Avatar World's current state of world affairs and it's early 20th Century setting analogy, when China's imperial dynasty began to collapse and lead to republics, anarchist, a communist country, etc., as well as the rest of the world for that matter.

LOVED the Avatar Team interaction. They actually seemed like friends, especially Asami. WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom