• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda Wii U Gameplay Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

Yeah on the cruelty, I don't think anything that has happened ever since compares to the third boss, a horrible, cruel, freaking annoying boss whose health resets every time you fall to the floor below. In Skull Woods, there was a room locked with a key that was literally there just to waste your time. There was an extra key that was not needed. Oh and guess what the boss room had in that dungeon? Freaking conveyor belts and slidey metal things lining up the wall! And that conveyor belt would change direction all the freaking time. GAH!

But that boss is super easy. Fire rod on full blast and that fight is over within seconds.

TheMoon

I just looked it up; hopefully it was Trinexx:

I mean, it could've been Helmasaur but I dunno. I remember multiple beams or rays being shot at me. I'm sure I'll replay it one day regardless; in the meantime I sold my GBA cart ages ago. (Is the Wii U VC of it as good as that port?)

Wii U VC (US) version is the best version to play since it doesn't have the annoying N64 voice for Link ;)

Yes you fought Trinexx in Turtle Rock (you were so close to the end!) since Helmasaur doesn't shoot multiple beams at you and you have all the tools to defeat it whereas Trinexx requires lots and lots of magic as well as the (up until then) optional ice rod.

Grab ALTTP before the DDP ends and give it another go!

maxcriden

Wii U VC (US) version is the best version to play since it doesn't have the annoying N64 voice for Link ;)

Yes you fought Trinexx in Turtle Rock (you were so close to the end!) since Helmasaur doesn't shoot multiple beams at you and you have all the tools to defeat it whereas Trinexx requires lots and lots of magic as well as the (up until then) optional ice rod.

Grab ALTTP before the DDP ends and give it another go!

How much is it on VC? It could be a year or more before I get back around to it. I'll be playing Phantom Hourglass next on the 2D front and my wife and I will be playing TP soon I think.

TheMoon

How much is it on VC? It could be a year or more before I get back around to it. I'll be playing Phantom Hourglass next on the 2D front and my wife and I will be playing TP soon I think.

It's a SNES game. You know how much SNES games cost :p

TheMoon

I don't know that I've bought any SNES game on VC, Wii or Wii U. I would've guessed $8, but I knew you knew for a fact off the top of your head, so I thought I'd be extra-lazy. Thanks Moon. :)

=O NOT EVEN EARTHBOUND???
which is the only one that costs 10 because reasons

ReyVGM

Nope, OoT was my first Zelda. ALttP is a harder Zelda because of the use of cheap obstacles like conveyor belts and asshole placement of beamos, holes, fireball shooting things, etc. There is no quarter heart damage except for one exception. It is also very easy to get trapped between an enemy's body and a wall, and your health drops really fast while they violate your personal space. Furthermore, unless you find something accidentally beforehand, getting to the swamp dungeon will take forever because you just have no idea what you have to do to get to it. Finally, the bosses hit really hard or have overwhelming amount of things to dodge.

That's true, the bosses do hit hard. As for the other complaints, they have no real basis. Conveyor belt was used in what, one dungeon? It was barely cheap or annoying.
Energy is easy to get. You have multiple bottles that you can fill with fairies (that revive you on the spot) or medicine. There are also lots of hearts hidden under pots, which are all over the place. Several dungeons have hidden rooms with lots of fairies to pick up or use.

LttP was my second Zelda (after Zelda 2) and I found it extremely easy. I think Ocarina is a much harder than LttP.

Yeah on the cruelty, I don't think anything that has happened ever since compares to the third boss, a horrible, cruel, freaking annoying boss whose health resets every time you fall to the floor below. In Skull Woods, there was a room locked with a key that was literally there just to waste your time. There was an extra key that was not needed. Oh and guess what the boss room had in that dungeon? Freaking conveyor belts and slidey metal things lining up the wall! And that conveyor belt would change direction all the freaking time. GAH!

But you only need to shoot it like four times with the fire rod. The scenery barely has any time to kill you since you kill the boss so quickly. And even if you didn't, you can still sustain lots of hits from the spikes. Did you enter dungeons unprepared or something? That dungeon specifically had like 3 exits, you could always leave and come back with the bottles full.

ReyVGM

Now, switching a bit to this thread's actual topic...

I believe no one has talked about that tower seen in the gameplay video. We see you can set it as a waypoint, and we see it in the background sometimes... but good god no one has gushed about how... we'll actually get to reach that tower, enter it and explore it!

Brings me memories from the Nintendo Power Link to the Past comic which showed Link exploring the Tower of Hera.

GRW810

Who were the guys who analysed the original Zelda E3 video and uncovered a whole bunch of details? Did they do another one for the recent demo? Regardless, could someone point me in their direction?

ReyVGM

Who were the guys who analysed the original Zelda E3 video and uncovered a whole bunch of details? Did they do another one for the recent demo? Regardless, could someone point me in their direction?

There are several actually. Just youtube 'zelda wiiu analysis' and you should see them.

Neff

I laugh every time when someone wants to sell the nonsense that ALTTP was a hard game, even just compared to other Zeldas. Just no.

It's not hard per se, but if you want to play it without dying and play it well, it's certainly challenging. You can die very, very easily if you don't know how to exploit the game, particularly if playing for the first time.

Turtle Rock is just an awful awful dungeon. It's plain bad. It's not legit hard, it's ass hard.

Nah it's awesome.

E-phonk

Banned
Talking about LA, I hope nintendo does a 2D remake of this oddball zelda one day. It's a unique take on the zelda formula together with Zelda II and MM.

ibyea

Banned
Talking about LA, I hope nintendo does a 2D remake of this oddball zelda one day. It's a unique take on the zelda formula together with Zelda II and MM.

They already did a remake for gameboy color. They even added a neat little extra dungeon for it too.

Master_Moridin

Neo Member
Anyone else think the tower from the gameplay looked a little bit like certain types of radio towers?

bf81d4e3b55f75b4223aadb4e7508860.png

It is probably just an oddly shaped/designed look-out tower, but radio tower is the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it.

ibyea

Banned
That's true, the bosses do hit hard. As for the other complaints, they have no real basis. Conveyor belt was used in what, one dungeon? It was barely cheap or annoying.
Energy is easy to get. You have multiple bottles that you can fill with fairies (that revive you on the spot) or medicine. There are also lots of hearts hidden under pots, which are all over the place. Several dungeons have hidden rooms with lots of fairies to pick up or use.

LttP was my second Zelda (after Zelda 2) and I found it extremely easy. I think Ocarina is a much harder than LttP.

But you only need to shoot it like four times with the fire rod. The scenery barely has any time to kill you since you kill the boss so quickly. And even if you didn't, you can still sustain lots of hits from the spikes. Did you enter dungeons unprepared or something? That dungeon specifically had like 3 exits, you could always leave and come back with the bottles full.

Despite all the stuff, I still had difficulties. Like I said, there are other things that aren't just conveyor belts that add to a sense of annoyance I have at the game. Personally, I had an easier time with Ocarina. Also, I wasn't nearly as annoyed as I was at other 2D Zeldas like LA and the Oracle games (except for the really cheap final bosses).

As for that moth conveyor belt boss, all I know is that I had difficulty. Maybe I ran out of magic? That could explain it. I just don't remember what I did wrong.

E-phonk

Banned
They already did a remake for gameboy color. They even added a neat little extra dungeon for it too.
That was more then 15 years ago though. A nicely drawn 2D remake for their next handheld would get just as much hype amongst fans as the MM remake.

ibyea

Banned

I believe no one has talked about that tower seen in the gameplay video. We see you can set it as a waypoint, and we see it in the background sometimes... but good god no one has gushed about how... we'll actually get to reach that tower, enter it and explore it!

Brings me memories from the Nintendo Power Link to the Past comic which showed Link exploring the Tower of Hera.

It did grab my attention. A mysterious tower in the landscape, man can't wait to get this game.

TheMoon

But that was just a wooden tower that you climb up and use to survey the area. This isn't a tower you enter and explore.

That wasn't a remake. That was an enhanced port. Not everything is a remake, people!

ReyVGM

But that was just a wooden tower that you climb up and use to survey the area. This isn't a tower you enter and explore.

That's really way too tall to be a lookout tower. It's also very far from Link the first time you see it, so it's probably huge once you get close to it.

That wasn't a remake. That was an enhanced port. Not everything is a remake, people!

Yes, spread the usage of enhanced port. People love using remake for everything.

ASIS

So i've just beat SS, 3 years later and my opinion is still as high as it was before, however I think I took off some of fanboy goggles a bit (read: a bit) and there are a lot of design choices that simply went over my head first time through.

Also warning, this is going to be a long post:

Controls

I mean obviously controls were a key point to SS, and honestly they are still completely fresh considering there is no game that plays quite like it. On my second (well technically third, I beat the game twice in a row upon release) play through, I did notice some unnecessary motion inputs that could have easily been mapped to the analogue stick or buttons. Swing mechanic was completely useless, as is the balancing thing, rolling in the game was accurate enough but It's really, really unimportant. The button layout was great however, everything was in reach and it never felt overly cumbersome. Even the 1 & 2 buttons didn't give me any troubles considering how scarcely I used them.

But let's talk about the "big" misses of the motion controls, flying and swimming. Flying was great in my opinion, but I think it would have been better off as analogue controlled. The entire mechanic is about gaining enough altitude and then diving down, so it's a lot of movement on the player's part. Granted, going from right to left was as smooth as it can be, and the wing flapping input isn't that bad either. But pointing downwards was not comfortable at all, especially if you are expected to hold this position of 10 seconds or so. And no, changing the grip does not make things better, because it removes the immersion of the game. It's very accurate, and very fun, but they needed to do something about the dive.

Swimming is by far the greatest offender. Again, the system works, and it is accurate, but it's just not preferable. making the 'normal' swim with the analogue stick but diving down with the wiimote was weird design choice on Nintendo's part. I made an observation on my first play through that absolutely no mechanic in this game required the player to invert the analogue stick. So it makes sense that any 3D controlled mechanic would use the Wiimote instead. But other than the downwards motion I mentioned in the flying section, the animation was incredibly stiff, it felt like I was controlling a lump of wood rather than a person. And the idea of changing between control methods while in the water was off-putting. Still, the shaking mechanic was wonderful.

The rest of the controls, however, were brilliant. The item management system was outstandingly good. I was able to switch between all eight equipment with ease, and each one of them controlled beautifully. I don't think even the harshest critic will disagree with me on this one. Considering the nature of the game you are required to constantly change between items, and it was as smooth as butter.

Combat
The combat worked beautifully. At least control wise, it takes some practice but other than that it truly was immersive. The problems with combat are all purely mechanical based. First, the criticism of the combat degrading to "guess the direction and swing" is mostly true. But I don't think that's bad in and of itself. The problem with the combat is that it doesn't make any use of space at all. There's no point in cornering your opponents. Hell there's no option to, every hit you deal will land on the enemy but there is no way to push them backwards. I noticed this the most with Ghirahim's battles. Even though the developers wanted to use the space in these fights they did artificially. Ghirahim teleports across the room for no reason . You don't gain any grounds, there's no point to do that. It all boils down to swiping the right direction and defending every now and then.

Just this simple addition of the combat would have made it FAR more dynamic than it was in SS. make us move, give us a reason to move. The only two instances where space mattered in combat was in the mid boss of the sandship and the first part of the final battle with ghirahim, where you had to knock him down the levitating areas. Those are also the most exhilarating fights in terms of swordplay in the entire game. I wish there were more of that. Sure, you backed out of a fight to charge a skyward strike every now and then, But they didn't add much to be honest.

And then, of course, is the issue that the direction you attack on don't make a damn difference, and that is such a shame. Because the way you hold the wiimote naturally gives advantage of certain directions over the others. WHY DIDN'T THEY MAKE USE OF THAT?!
Allow me to explain: if you played the game then you will notice that most of your hits were horizontal, that's because they are the easiest to pull off within the context of the game. These could have been used to land the quick hits. The second easiest option were downward diagonal slashes But they are also harder to pull off consecutively . These could have been a little big more powerful than the horizontal swipe. The next level are the downward vertical slashes. These could have been pathetically weak but are good at throwing off the opponent's guard, the more powerful the defense is, the more downward vertical swipes it takes to throw it off. The last set are the diagonal and vertical upward strikes. These are the most powerful strikes and can be used send enemies back to gain more space. Finally you have the stabs, but I don't know what could be done with that TBH.

Just these simple attributes add a lot to the combat and it might even transform it completely. What was there in SS was good, but I think it could have been excellent. To conclude, I really do hope that motion controls find a way back to this Wii U zelda, just trim the fat and make it more complex. Because it can, and it will be glorious.

I think I'll stop for now. I still want to talk about the over world structure, pacing, story, dungeons, and overall presentation but I'll leave that for later. If you guys think this type of discussion isn't appropriate for this thread then please direct me to a place where i can discuss my analysis. Peace!

BY2K

Membero Americo
To be fair, they aren't nice doggies. You also beat up hippies, salary men, and living stop signs.

Dawn Rivers just tweeted this comparison between Link's new tunic design and Nausicaa's dress:

B5fo__5IQAE6ImZ.png

So cool.

(New Zelda Protagonist)

Bitch, that's Link.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
To be fair, they aren't nice doggies. You also beat up hippies, salary men, and living stop signs.

Dawn Rivers just tweeted this comparison between Link's new tunic design and Nausicaa's dress:

B5fo__5IQAE6ImZ.png

So cool.

Hm. I'd say it's actually directly inspired from

Link_Outset_Clothes.png

rhandino

Banned

B5fo__5IQAE6ImZ.png

So cool.

The Ghibli inspiration is sooooo good. The trailer alone make me rewatch Princess Mononoke and Naussica. Such timeless classics. Would like that Link could ride a Loftwing but maybe that is too much. Hype in check rn.

Yonafunu

That's really way too tall to be a lookout tower. It's also very far from Link the first time you see it, so it's probably huge once you get close to it.

There's at least two different towers in the footage. There's the one Aonuma sets as a beacon, and there's the extremely tall one you're talking about. They are not the same tower.

ASIS

The Ghibli inspiration is sooooo good. The trailer alone make me rewatch Princess Mononoke and Naussica. Such timeless classics. Would like that Link could ride a Loftwing but maybe that is too much. Hype in check rn.

The first Zelda teaser has an insane amount of Mononoke influence, particularly its opening scene. If the entire game continues this influence (spirit gods, industrialization vs. nature, Barbaric Zelda, etc.) I'm going to faint. I hope the animation in the cutscenes will also take influence from the film.

I really love Princess Mononoke, the best Ghibli film by far

Anyone else think the tower from the gameplay looked a little bit like certain types of radio towers?

bf81d4e3b55f75b4223aadb4e7508860.png

It is probably just an oddly shaped/designed look-out tower, but radio tower is the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it.

I imagine that these towers will serve as exceptionally high vantage points to sort of overlook a bigger amount of the overworld and get a grip on where you're heading or let you see areas that you've never been able to see before (It seems like EAD3 wants this overworld to be as readable as possible).
I'm also thinking that they might be a bit similar to the lookout towers in Wind Waker; you find them scattered across the overworld, and they're being controlled by moblins who might be protecting chest full of collectibles and stuff.
:p

pulga

Banned

B5fo__5IQAE6ImZ.png

So cool.

....they're both blue. That's it :lol

The Boat

It would be great of there were several mounts: a goat for the snow, a sand worm for the desert (or a boar like in TP), a loft wing for the sky, a boat or a sea dragon for the water...

The_Lump

Banned

B5fo__5IQAE6ImZ.png

So cool.

No real similarities there except the main colour of the clothing and that they happen to be looking in the same direction in those two images.

As others have said the tunic is similar to what Link starts out wearing in WW.

maxcriden

I think the doggies are the only ones that bother me. So, I don't think I'd be able to get past it. Luckily Zelda games don't require you to fight cuccoos!

ReyVGM

Don't exactly know the line between those two. Oops. ^_^

Port: Same game on another platform. Can have fixes or some minor things added. But usually it's the same as the source.

Enhanced Port: Same game on another plaform, but with added content, retooled graphics (not too significant) and other fixes and additions.
Example: Link's Awakening DX.

Remake: When the game is remade from scratch. Everythings gets remade and redrawn: graphics, music, sprites, textures, etc.
Example: Resident Evil for the Gamecube.

Re-imagining: This one is rarely used, but it is when you take a source game and remake it, but at the same time so many changes are made to it that it becomes its own stand alone game with minor ties to the original game.
Example: Silent Hill Shattered Memories (reimagining of Silent Hill 1)

Remaster: Pretty much a mixture of port and enhanced port. It is when you take the source game and "clean up" the graphics by using higher quality textures, yet maintaining the same polygon count. Basically, it's applying a new coat of paint over the old one. Usually has fixes or minor changes here and there. It has been used a lot lately for HD versions of older 3D games.

zeldablue

B5fo__5IQAE6ImZ.png

So cool.
Oh dang! New sidekick is going to be a lemur thing! :p

co1onel

B5fo__5IQAE6ImZ.png

So cool.

I don't see any similarities apart from the fact that they're both blue and in a similar pose. In fact, they aren't even a similar blue.

JB2448

I think the doggies are the only ones that bother me. So, I don't think I'd be able to get past it. Luckily Zelda games don't require you to fight cuccoos!
You're depriving yourself of one of the best RPG experiences you can enjoy. As a fellow animal lover, I understand, but understand that you're actually taming them after their being subjected to a cosmic destroyer's will. Putting it in that perspective really helps you get through the very small amount of encounters you have with dogs at the beginning of the game.

TheMoon

I still need to watch Nausicaa. :p

I think his outfit is closer to Ashitaki's with the cloak and all.

I only know because I watched it last night :p (because this thread kept bringing it up lol)

You can draw parallels to both Ashitaka and Nausicaä with how we've seen Link so far. Obviously leaning a bit more toward the former thanks to the hood + archery combo. If they'd introduce a flying mount, however.... :D

You're depriving yourself of one of the best RPG experiences you can enjoy. As a fellow animal lover, I understand, but understand that you're actually taming them after their being subjected to a cosmic destroyer's will. Putting it in that perspective really helps you get through the very small amount of encounters you have with dogs at the beginning of the game.

This! Animal lovers unite. Don't let a fellow animal lover miss out on this. It's not bad, hurtful violence and very brief (you might even be able to run past them and instead fight other things to level up).

I don't see any similarities apart from the fact that they're both blue and in a similar pose. In fact, they aren't even a similar blue.

It's not about the picture comparison itself, but the characters and certain events. Nausicaä spoilers:
The blue outfit is of significance as it is a direct equivalent to the green tunic in Zelda games. Tied to a legend, a hero's prophecy.

Dimmle

They do require that you slaughter wolves, though.

It's kind of a toss-up.

And yeah, the dogs are pretty much optional.

Heroman

Banned
Link doesn't have any simlar to Nausicaa beside the blue. And eveyone need to read Nausicaa manga cause it is the best thing miyazaki has ever made.

maxcriden

Haha, someone who understands me! I dunno. I'll keep that in mind. I might bug you via PM about it. ;) Thanks JB!

They do require that you slaughter wolves, though.

It's kind of a toss-up.

And yeah, the dogs are pretty much optional.

It probably won't surprise you to know that fighting those adorable White Wolfos in OoT is the most discomfiting moment in the Zelda series for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom