• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens |OT| May the Ports be with you.

Now I will tell you I can't find any Vita footage of the prologue level based on Return of the Jedi, so that level might be missing from the handheld version. But otherwise, it seems to have the same hub worlds and all, same cutscenes...obviously missing some special effects and the amount of stuff onscreen is much less, but the actual levels and puzzles look similar or identical.

I believe I read somewhere that the prologue levels didn't make it into the handheld ports.

I can't figure out how to actually use any of these characters I've unlocked in the "hub" areas... help? I've tried every single possible button...

Make sure you're in a "Free Play" level, or a Hub level (but only after beating the story) and hold Triangle/Y/etc. You'll see a little minifig head with a "+" on the bottom of the radial menu! This is the same way you access your Red Brick modifiers.

Dishwalla

Banned
Can't even find the Vita version in any stores around here. Best Buy? Nope. Target? lol, they don't even stock Vita games. One of the many GameStops? Nope, and apparently their system only shows 16 in the warehouse(there was a couple copies at a GS that is like a half hour away, but I don't want it that badly). Guess the Vita really is dead.

Anyway I ended up buying the 3DS version, will check it out at work later on. Might get the PS4 version later on down the road.

CamHostage

I actually just checked out some videos of the first 3 levels of the Vita version, and the level design is virtually identical to the first 3 levels of the console version. Who knows if it diverges later, but it seems pretty dang close to the same experience this time.

Didn't TT Games change the engine used in the portable games, starting with LEGO Marvel Avengers, to run much closer to the console products than before? I fell out of LEGO games a while ago and LEGO Star Wars TFA is my first one back in a while, but I know Avengers had an open world of sorts in the portable games and stages are generally supposed to be similar or the same. You don't have access to the DLC on the portables, but the between-Trilogies content is in according to the boxart. (And the 3DS game looks from videos like it runs pretty well, aside from some ugly character draw-in; Vita LEGOs never had performance issues AFAIK, partly because it was running an under-demanding version of the brand's games.) So maybe there's more to the story, but unless there are major complaints or missing content, I think the portable version might be a safe choice if that's how you play and image fidelity isn't going to crush your spirits.

It took a while to download last night, but I was able to play the first prologue mission while I waited and walked away impressed.

The UI is cleaner, the multibuilds are neat, the gameplay seems tighter. And I've never been a big LEGO game lover.

I look forward to playing more tonight, and perhaps even playing through it if it's really that short.

About how long is the campaign plus bonus missions?

It took a while to download last night, but I was able to play the first prologue mission while I waited and walked away impressed.

The UI is cleaner, the multibuilds are neat, the gameplay seems tighter. And I've never been a big LEGO game lover.

I look forward to playing more tonight, and perhaps even playing through it if it's really that short.

About how long is the campaign plus bonus missions?

A streamer finished the main campaign (no bonus missions) in 8 hours. I've been playing for 4 hours, and I've finished 5 missions of the main campaign (prologue + 4 missions) and apparently there are 11 missions in the main campaign (10 + prologue). So I'd say 8-10 hours for main campaign, who knows how long to unlock the 7 bonus levels. The two I've found require 10 gold bricks, and 30 gold bricks.

A streamer finished the main campaign (no bonus missions) in 8 hours. I've been playing for 4 hours, and I've finished 5 missions of the main campaign (prologue + 4 missions) and apparently there are 11 missions in the main campaign (10 + prologue). So I'd say 8-10 hours for main campaign, who knows how long to unlock the 7 bonus levels. The two I've found require 10 gold bricks, and 30 gold bricks.

Thanks

So you actually have to unlock the bonus levels by finding shit? I'll likely have to pass on them then. I'm not one to go back through levels over and over again as different characters in replay mode. I just want to beat the game.

The bonus levels are the ones that tie Jedi to TFA?

Thanks

So you actually have to unlock the bonus levels by finding shit? I'll likely have to pass on them then. I'm not one to go back through levels over and over again as different characters in replay mode. I just want to beat the game.

The bonus levels are the ones that tie Jedi to TFA?

As far as I know, yeah. The one you unlock at 30 gold bricks looks like it's about Han and Chewie as smugglers and how they got those monsters on the Millenium Falcon.

As far as I know, yeah. The one you unlock at 30 gold bricks looks like it's about Han and Chewie as smugglers and how they got those monsters on the Millenium Falcon.

Damn. That's super disappointing.

One of the big selling features of this game was how it would bridge the story between Episodes VI and VII, and feature original story content and voice acting from those involved in the films.

To learn that a lot of it is inaccessible unless you spend HOURS replaying levels for hidden secrets is pretty shitty.

One of the big selling features of this game was how it would bridge the story between Episodes VI and VII, and feature original story content and voice acting from those involved in the films.

To learn that a lot of it is inaccessible unless you spend HOURS replaying levels for hidden secrets is pretty shitty.

Well most Gold Bricks come from HUB levels, not replaying levels. And you can clear a HUB out in an hour minimum? One of those will give enough bricks for the Han Solo level. In fact I believe I had enough for all of the levels with less than 100 gold bricks.

Karak

Covered that in the review and it certainly was one of the reasons I labeled this a Wait for Sale. Its absolutely the wrong way to go about it.

Well most Gold Bricks come from HUB levels, not replaying levels. And you can clear a HUB out in an hour minimum? One of those will give enough bricks for the Han Solo level. In fact I believe I had enough for all of the levels with less than 100 gold bricks.

I don't want to have to do everything in a HUB level just to be able to play levels that were well advertised as being part of the game. Not as unlockables.

It is what it is. Not the end of the world. But it will affect my enjoyment for sure.

Covered that in the review and it certainly was one of the reasons I labeled this a Wait for Sale. Its absolutely the wrong way to go about it.

Agreed.

I don't want to have to do everything in a HUB level just to be able to play levels that were well advertised as being part of the game. Not as unlockables.

It is what it is. Not the end of the world. But it will affect my enjoyment for sure.
This really doesn't sound like the type of game for you then :(

prag16

Banned
Should be a given, but can anyone confirm the continued presence of the separate screen co-op feature on the Wii U version?

This really doesn't sound like the type of game for you then :(

I've played a lot of the LEGO games and have found most of them to be okay to middling. They're not my favourite type, but I like Star Wars and a lot of the other franchises they cover. I also like to play a lot of different games and missing ones I'm even somewhat interested in bugs me.

I just play through the campaigns.

LOL, they didn't disappoint me by throwing in a nice
reference.
The Daniel Craig stormtrooper walks into the room and shoots at the screen, barrel opening style.

Mung

Was looking forward to this, but then was told that there is no vertical invert. Ridiculous in 2016. Lost sale for them.

SlickVic

Can't even find the Vita version in any stores around here. Best Buy? Nope. Target? lol, they don't even stock Vita games. One of the many GameStops? Nope, and apparently their system only shows 16 in the warehouse(there was a couple copies at a GS that is like a half hour away, but I don't want it that badly). Guess the Vita really is dead.

Anyway I ended up buying the 3DS version, will check it out at work later on. Might get the PS4 version later on down the road.

Pretty easy to find online though. Seems to be in stock on Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop websites on a brief search. Not really surprised it's hard to find a Vita version in store, but also doesn't seem very hard to find a physical copy if you have a credit card to buy online.

This game has such intensely strong good vibes i might just try and platinum it... usually i'm bored of lego games pretty fast, my star wars infatuation is too strong i guess.

prag16

Banned
Should be a given, but can anyone confirm the continued presence of the separate screen co-op feature on the Wii U version?
C'mon I know we have some Wii U owners in here. Help me out, trying to make my purchase decision!

TimFL

How's the hub situation? Is it like Batman 3 with the many smaller hub planets? I guess there's no hub that matches the LEGO Marvel games NYC in terms of size/content?

Can you fly around in spaceships in the hubs? I wish they'd just drop 360/PS3 etc... I remember an interview where one of the devs mentioned that the old consoles hold them back...

Well, that sucks

My "Sound Effects" is stuck at 204/10

Yes you read that right. Nearly blew out my speakers

The game is unplayable on anything more than just being muted now. I even tried reinstalling it....no idea what to do

Bumhead

Banned
There's a few posts here that mention this being better than other recent Lego games. Does that include The Avengers?

I've been playing through that with my better half, and we've been having fun with it to a point, but it's honestly felt like a bit of a drag and at times incredibly obtuse and awkward.

Is this better than that? I've not got much else in the way of other recent Lego entries over the last few years.

MattVT

I'm new to the Lego games, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I'm looking forward to playing this with my nephews. For couch co-op, how many players can play simultaneously? And how is it handled--split screen or does everyone need to stay in the same area? I'll be playing on PS4, if that matters.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's two player and the screen dynamically splits when you walk away from each other. It looks pretty cool when it happens actually.

Lol...yeah, one of my nephews is only 4, so I'm hoping he'll be able to mostly run around while I do most of the "difficult" stuff.
Yeah I think this game relies on the least amount of 'you do this so other character can cross a bridge' type of stuff of any of the previous games so you'll be able to solo most of it without thinking.

Questions:

How do I unlock Phasma? Also, who else can destroy gold bricks besides her?

How do I unlock
Cinnamon Buns Princess
Leia?

Wil348

How do I unlock Phasma? Also, who else can destroy gold bricks besides her?

Phasma is unlocked after playing Trouble Over Tual. I'm assuming the First Order Gunner would be able to destroy gold bricks, pretty sure I'm forgetting loads of characters.

xrnzaaas

Damn the game is still buggy despite a 2 gig patch. The PS4 version froze on me twice and then I corrupted the save because apparently I closed the game when it was saving (yep they didn't fix that problem in LEGO games). It's a shame because it's very enjoyable and I'm not a big Star Wars fan.

Damn the game is still buggy despite a 2 gig patch. The PS4 version froze on me twice and then I corrupted the save because apparently I closed the game when it was saving (yep they didn't fix that problem in LEGO games). It's a shame because it's very enjoyable and I'm not a big Star Wars fan.

Thanks for posting, I'll let the right people know.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Also thinking grabbing the cheap 3ds version.

Anyone have any impressions? I know it's not gonna be like the console versions especially on the PS4 and Bone, but I don't mind.

Vanillalite

I feel for my fellow handheld heads in this.

Whenever a game like this drops the review is always the console versions and you are left in this wtf wasteland on buy or not to buy the handheld shit.

Vanillalite

I enjoyed the Force Awakens in Disney Infinty...is this on par or better? Worse?

Graphics are better even if legoized.

Voice acting is slightly better.

Its cheaper as you don't need all of the infinity stuff.

Game is longer. Plus DLC. Plus tons of in game unlocks.

I think moment to moment gameplay is better in Infinity though. I prefer the combo system and upgrade system in DI vs Lego.

Both are solid titles, and I think overlooked by many GAFers.

Super OP stud-farming tip:

Once you have multiplier red bricks (any of them), activate them all and play the
"Dejarrik Battle"minigame on the Falcon
(available once you beat the story). I'm at about 40,000,000 studs a run now with 2x, 4x & 8x multipliers activated. Makes unlocking stuff easier.

I'm now at close to the half-way point (Prologue, plus four story missions and Poe to the Rescue). It's definitely a LEGO game, but one of the better ones if not the best.

So far, I'd give it a 7 or so.

I like the aerial combat even if it is on rails. The cover-based shootouts are okay.

Top Bottom