• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Light Novel |OT| Slightly Better than Manga and Anime!

All these new licenses are neat but it'd be nice if J-novel did got ahold of something other than isekai stories...
unless it's Zero no Tsukaima.

bobohoro

Finished Index Volume 10.
That ending twist was dumb. As was the resolution to the second villain of the arc. For this big two volume arc everything felt pretty half assed and uninspired.
I wish I could just drop a series, but I'm already halfway through, might as well keep on trucking. With the exception of Volume 6 there really isn't all that much legit great stuff to be found in Index, the last three books in particular were a real letdown. Hoping for more Accelerator and Mikoto in future volumes and maybe another villain that's actually interesting and fun.

Will probably tackle Bakemonogatari 1&2 next.

Quixzlizx

For anyone who's reading the SAO novels, does it continue spiraling out of control after the Fairy Dance arc?

I guess what I'm asking is whether Asuna
goes back to being more like the Aincrad version of her, or does she become a permanent damsel in distress while Kazuto plays with other girls.

For anyone who's reading the SAO novels, does it continue spiraling out of control after the Fairy Dance arc?

goes back to being more like the Aincrad version of her, or does she become a permanent damsel in distress while Kazuto plays with other girls.

The
damnsel in distress
part of asuna
is over
The character dynamics change a little and a vast majority of the books will focus on kirito. If anything, asuna is back to her aincrad ways , but she isn't the focus of the story , someone else in the story is. even if kirito is still the main character.

Stage On

Well on one hand she does go back to her old self and even gets an entire book (Volume 7 Mother's Rosario) where she's the main character and not Kirito.

On the other hand
once the Alicization story arc starts in volume 9 she vanishes from the story for several volumes straight.

Quixzlizx

The
damnsel in distress
part of asuna
is over
The character dynamics change a little and a vast majority of the book will focus on kirito. If anything, asuna is back to her aincrad ways , but she isn't the focus of the story , someone else in the story is. even if kirito is still the main character.

Thanks. Would you say the quality of the arcs stay pretty steady, or not really?

Mr.Jeff

Not heard of the first one before but Slime and Spider are both reasonable until halfway through. After that it becomes overly serious and high-stakes and just really boring.

I was hoping someone would pick up Tanya, I'll definitely get both the manga and lns. Slime sounds like it could be pretty funny too, so I'm planning on buying that one.

I was also glad to hear they got the Acca manga, I was hoping someone would like pick that up as well.

Kieli

I just purchased the first two volumes of Faraway Paladin on a whim. It was recommended as eschewing typical light novel "isekai" tropes, and the cover art was gorgeous. Keep in mind I'm NOT a fan of isekai by any means, although I am a fan of fantasy.

Suffice it to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the first volume. The theme is surprisingly original (for LN/isekai standards) in that it focuses on familial bonds and what it means to lead a worthwhile life. There are no "waifus" and the main character trains over the course of 15 years to achieve a modicum of skill and strength. He doesn't arrive to this new world already OP.

The one detriment to the novel is that it is an "isekai" novel. I could do without puerile references to "video games" and "computer monitors"; all it does is take me out of the immersion within the fantasy world the author is trying to create. I suppose it has pay-off in the end of the first novel where (1st novel end-spoiler)
he engages in dialogue with his guardian deity
; however, I hope any further references to our world remain in the backseat to the here and now (e.g. the fantasy world).

J-Novel Club has licensed Invaders of the Rokujouma?!‬

What's special about this one is that they licensed the fan translation of the first 22 volumes, and will edit and "remaster" those for release. The first 22 should also be available for free on their website indefinitely. They're also picking up at the newest volume for those who followed the fan translation and they're hiring on the fan translator to continue his work officially.

J-Novel Club has licensed Invaders of the Rokujouma?!‬

What's special about this one is that they licensed the fan translation of the first 22 volumes, and will edit and "remaster" those for release. The first 22 should also be available for free on their website indefinitely. They're also picking up at the newest volume for those who followed the fan translation and they're hiring on the fan translator to continue his work officially.

23 volumes? What.

Quick summary or synopsis from readers please, feel like I heard this series before???

Well, they made an anime out of it.

Also, volumes 1-3, skip 4-22, and volume 23? Unless volume 23 is actually 4.

It appears that the plan moving forward is to release volumes 4-22 in groups of at least 3 every month [edit- maybe not at least 3? might only be 1, but I hope not...], but also pick up where the fan translation stopped. That way they can take the time to actually edit the pre-existing translations, give new people to the series new books every month and try to appeal to the people who were already following the fan translation up until that point.

Damn rokujouma stopped at vol 22 is simply torture.

It's like you're watching return of the jedi for the first time and you don't have the last half of the movie.

23 volumes? What.

Quick summary or synopsis from readers please, feel like I heard this series before???

Rokujouma has a great cast , clever writing , excellent world building and great vilains.
The fact that the writter managed to make something coherent and entertaining with so many factions is nothing but praiseworthy

J-Novel Club's next two announcements:

daimaou_cover_400.jpg

Demon King Daimaou

Far in the future, Japan has become a land ruled by magic and those who wield it. Akuto Sai arrives at Constant Magical Academy—the most prestigious magic school in the world—for his first year of high school. The only student to pass the Academy's intense entrance exam, he has his sights set on become a High Priest, the most powerful and virtuous magician in the land. However, when he arrives at the Academy, his future occupation is prophesied to be... The Demon King?! Now Akuto is the number one target on campus, and he must navigate his way with the help of his friends—a troublesome delinquent, a beautiful observer android, an honor-bound class representative, and a mysterious girl from his past—through the seedy underbelly of the world's premier magic academy.

This series also has an anime adaptation.

dendrogram_cover_400.jpg

Infinite Dendrogram

In the year 2043, Infinite Dendrogram, the world's first successful full-dive VRMMO was released. In addition to its ability to perfectly simulate the five senses, along with its many other amazing features, the game promised to offer players a world full of infinite possibilities. Nearly two years later, soon-to-be college freshman, Reiji Mukudori, is finally able to buy a copy of the game and start playing. With some help from his experienced older brother, Shu, and his partner Embryo, Reiji embarks on an adventure into the world of Infinite Dendrogram. Just what will he discover and encounter in this game world known for its incredible realism and infinite possibilities?

Also was the news about the Bookwalker Global timed exclusive LN posted here?

panya.jpg

The Combat Baker and His Automaton Waitress

"The Combat Baker and His Automaton Waitress" is about an ex-soldier who moves to a rural town to open a bakery. While he has no problem baking delicious bread, this battle-scarred veteran discovers that his intimidating demeanor is scaring off potential customers. What good is having a bakery if you can't sell a single loaf of bread?

Just when he's ready to give up, a red-eyed, white-haired girl walks into his shop to ask for a job. Could hiring her save his bakery? Just who is this beautiful girl? Is she even human?!

It'll be exclusive to their app for 6 months, and then presumably go to kindle and other platforms. They got this from one of the companies J-Novel normally works with, Hobby Japan.

I'm not sure how to word this properly, but are there any light novels with a Shonen Jump manga-like feel? Like underdog characters, strategic battles...basically what your typical SJ manga is known for?

Right now I collect Durarara and Konosuba, which I both enjoy a lot. I stopped collecting Baccano (2 volumes) and the Devil is a Part Timer (3 volumes) because they weren't really grabbing me.

Quixzlizx

I'm not sure how to word this properly, but are there any light novels with a Shonen Jump manga-like feel? Like underdog characters, strategic battles...basically what your typical SJ manga is known for?

Right now I collect Durarara and Konosuba, which I both enjoy a lot. I stopped collecting Baccano (2 volumes) and the Devil is a Part Timer (3 volumes) because they weren't really grabbing me.

I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece or anything, but Asterisk War seems to hit the notes you're looking for.

Edit: Also, I don't know about "strategic battles," but Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon is pretty much fits the hot-blooded underdog protagonist genre to a tee.

Its more a novel I think then LN, but try Kizumonogatari.

You also have some of the JUMP series LN that are fun like Seraph of the end catastrophe at sixteen and the Naruto novels (the Itachi or Sasuke ones).

But I really suggest Kizumonogatari.

The Isolator is a must read.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is the Shield Hero Light Novel really that bad? I hear the manga is much better than the source LN.

I'm not a fan of the anime, but all the fans of the series say that the LN is much better, so I might check it out.

As for physical releases it will probably depend on how well O;9 and Grimgar do.

I agree, although the fact that Clockwork and Smartphone have or are getting anime adaptations probably helps boost their chances at getting print runs.

The print run of Grimgar is apparently selling out in a lot of places in Europe and it's charting highly on Amazon, so those are hopefully good signs.

Arifureta and Realist Hero have pretty big followings and are also selling well according to J-Novel's president, so I actually wouldn't be surprised if either of those ended up getting print runs eventually too. Assuming the print deals work out.

Aters

Rokujouma has a great cast , clever writing , excellent world building and great vilains.
The fact that the writter managed to make something coherent and entertaining with so many factions is nothing but praiseworthy

not sure about great villains but I agree with everything else. Managing to cramp so many characters into it without feeling over bloat is a knack that more LN writers need to acquire. (looking at you Index)

Is the Shield Hero Light Novel really that bad? I hear the manga is much better than the source LN.

Bad? Not much worse than your usual "reincarnation in fantasy land" web novel fare, in other words, I cannot fathom how anyone would pay real money for it.

not sure about great villains but I agree with everything else. Managing to cramp so many characters into it without feeling over bloat is a knack that more LN writers need to acquire. (looking at you Index)

I said great vilains because i actually like the bad guy side too.
Except some no names from a couple of stories. There aren't many stories where i understand the cast motivations and preférences at that level to the point where i'm just there for the ride and enjoying every line of it. Even the ones were , they start cliché slowly become more and more intresting ..i freaking LOVE ROKUJOUMA

LayLa

Not a "light" novel but I just noticed that Amazon have published The Great Passage by Shion Miura, which was recently adapted into an anime series and streamed via ... Amazon. Hmm I wonder if this a deliberate business model they are going explore more in the future?

Quasar

Not a "light" novel but I just noticed that Amazon have published The Great Passage by Shion Miura, which was recently adapted into an anime series and streamed via ... Amazon. Hmm I wonder if this a deliberate business model they are going explore more in the future?

Oo! Loved the anime.

And there's a audible version. Excellent.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/The-Great-Passage-Audiobook/B071YFQKZ7?qid=1496625421&sr=1-1

Amazon had the anime due to the noitamina deal.

zulux21

anyone know if there is any news about them reprinting any of the haruhi books in english?

most of them are fine but two of the volumes are going for over $100 on ebay :/

Sterok

Well, it's officially out in English, so I may as well look at a series I've been particularly fond of.

Magical Girl Raising Project

The magical girl genre is in a bit of a weird spot, with lighthearted ones struggling to gain much attention while the ones that trend darker gain a lot of vocal critics. Raising Project is very much on the darker end, and as such if you want to get into it you have to be willing to accept a number of tropes. Vicious battles, broken ideals, and lots and lots of deaths. The premise is a death game with magical girls after all. If you're looking for something like that, then this delivers in spades.

There's plenty of characters with a wide array of personalities, backstories, and powers. The two main protagonists are Snow White, an idealistic middle school girl who loves magical girls and Ripple, a grumpy high schooler who doesn't get along well with others. But really, this is an ensemble story with (nearly) every character getting some time to shine from their own point of view. Even with 16 magical girls (+1 familiar), everyone manages to be distinctive with their own actions and motivations, and it's not always easy to see the next death coming. The premise of using a free to play mobile game (with no microtransactions) to find candidates doesn't receive as much attention as you'd think, but it's an interesting hook considering the type of forum this is. The fights are brisk and intense, and seeing everyone degenerate into despair or becoming increasingly vicious keeps it all interesting.

Sadly, there are plenty of flaws as well. Because there are so many characters, there's not much time to flesh them out or get attached to them. If you don't like the first impression of a character, then you'll probably just shrug when they die a gruesome death. The ones that do get more attention can be difficult to like as they remain incompetent or are a dick. It does lead somewhere thankfully, but with how fast everything happens it's not really satisfying. There's lots of references towards the Magical Kingdom, which end up being teases towards future novels, but it's odd how little they're involved.

The artwork is okay, nothing much to say about that. The best part is the chibi versions of all the characters, which shows how diverse everyone is. Ruler and Cranberry in particular have some of my favorite designs.

Overall, I can't honestly say it's amzing, but it's plenty enjoyable if you go in looking for a grim story about magical girls. I know I liked it a lot. If you didn't like the anime, this won't change your mind. If you did like it, you may be disappointed at how little there is, since the anime adapted a lot of side stories that came later. It's still a good companion read to the anime since it gives an expanded perspective to several characters. All in all, it's a good warmup to the series, and come November, we should be getting the part where it gets good.

Top Bottom