• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Light Novel |OT| Slightly Better than Manga and Anime!

MJPIA

hmmm $51.83 after shipping.

$3 a volume, you know you want it.
Is that with expedited or normal shipping?
Back when I preordered and paid $105CDN in Feb (since I figured that would be the cheapest this book would ever get, heh) I had 2 shipping options and I went with the expedited shipping that was $21 US since I think normal shipping was like $13 or so.

zulux21

$3 a volume, you know you want it.
Is that with expedited or normal shipping?
Back when I preordered and paid $105CDN in Feb (since I figured that would be the cheapest this book would ever get, heh) I had 2 shipping options and I went with the expedited shipping that was $21 US since I think normal shipping was like $13 or so.

it was with normal.

and checking my collection I am only missing one volume.
that being said I ordered it.

it's still going for $150 on amazon and I really don't see it ever going cheaper, so it's a decently valuable collectors item that worst case I should be able to sell for $100.

CrimsonN0

Are any of these good other than Goblin Slayer? They all sound goofy.
Eh, the only one of these I've read is the Vending Machine one and its...well, against all odds I didn't find it terrible, but its also not particularly good, its one of the numerous isekai LNs that just sort of exist.

bobohoro

I read the fan t/l of this. I hope it was just the mediocre translation, but I ended up disliking most/all the characters by the end of it. I kind of felt that way about the anime, too, so I don't think it was all due to the localization.

I think I had the most sympathy for Ami out of all of them, somehow.

Yeah, the anime was kinda similar for me as well. Started off strong, then everyone kinda acted really dumb and annoying (I mean, sure, high schoolers in love and all, but it really doesn't help a story to have a long stretch of everyone being assholes) but the ending did kinda redeem it, although it dropped most side characters completely.

Still, will probably be there day one. If I ever manage to reduce my growing back log.

Bowl0l

Don't expect to get it in pristine condition since Amazon has no idea how to safely ship a 7 pound book but the complete Spice and Wolf collectors edition rereleased in February is currently $48CDN/$37USD on Amazon Canada which is the cheapest its been.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0316437220/
Received my copy yesterday (6 July) although I live in Malaysia.
The book is in good condition.
Any advice on how to remove the price tag?

Once again, thanks MJPIA.

e_i

If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat A Demon Lord 1

I want my own Latina goddamnit. I think that if this becomes an anime, Latina would kill half of GAF with her cuteness.

zulux21

that time again.

$5 off $15 in books shipped from amazon
PRIMEBOOKS17

which is always a great deal to get some light novels.

Quixzlizx

that time again.

$5 off $15 in books shipped from amazon
PRIMEBOOKS17

which is always a great deal to get some light novels.

Thanks!

It's been getting even more annoying to order LNs these days. TRSI won't ship any part of an order until every single item is released now, and they jacked up GA to $18 from $12 a year, so I didn't bother to renew. But a lot of my potential Amazon pre-orders are stuck at $14, and they charge sales tax. So I basically go to TRSI for any release month where I know I'll be ordering 4+ books, and wait until they have a Yen Press sale to pull the trigger.

zulux21

Thanks!

It's been getting even more annoying to order LNs these days. TRSI won't ship any part of an order until every single item is released now, and they jacked up GA to $18 from $12 a year, so I didn't bother to renew. But a lot of my potential Amazon pre-orders are stuck at $14, and they charge sales tax. So I basically go to TRSI for any release month where I know I'll be ordering 4+ books, and wait until they have a Yen Press sale to pull the trigger.

I check every so often for sales (and when I remember I post them in here) but in general I get my light novels for $9 from amazon, and if they never go down around that price I just fill in holes with rightstuf yen press sales (as the majority of the light novels I buy are yen on titles)

typically as long as you locate the books shortly after they are put up they are down at that $9 price, but closer to release they are typically more.

Thanks!

How does that work with delays. It always made it challenging for me to order at trsi.

Quixzlizx

How does that work with delays. It always made it challenging for me to order at trsi.

I luckily haven't been hit with any delays on "urgent" orders since they changed it from 50% released to 100% released at the beginning of the year. I'd suggest ordering one item over the free shipping limit so you have a buffer to cancel one item that would delay everything else.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Quick question - if I want to read the Overlord LN, I should start from volume 4 after I'm done with the anime, right?

Quick question - if I want to read the Overlord LN, I should start from volume 4 after I'm done with the anime, right?

I started from v1, what I found in a few of these series is the animes often cut out some of the characters internal dialogue that helps to explain some of the characters and a few more things, its also a very fast read (finished v1 in a 3 hour car ride)

The books have more details .
While the anime is a perfectly fine adaptation , some details in Vol 2 & 3 were omited so i would recommand reading them.

also Vol 4 is a special kind of chapter that does have a purpose , but you will be confused thank to the change of POV

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I strongly dislike reading the original/adaptation if the other part was fairly faithful, so I guess I'll think about it. If parts omitted were just some elements of exposition, I think I'm fine with that and will jump straight to vol 4.

Thanks for quick answers!

If you enjoy knowing the characters thoughts and motivations, then reading is the way to go. It's the most difficult thing to adapt in anime unless you have all the characters thoughts laid bare. ( Something nobody does )

HI , everyone.

I usually buy light novels in papers , butthose last 2 months i got a j-novel subscription and i must say i don't dislike reading stuff on my tablet. As since my free ( physical space ) is limited i'm actually considering buying kindle version of the books on amazon ( to have them ASAP ) to to reduce the physical space they use.

That said i'm slightly confused , so i'll looking for an answer to this question: If i buy a kindle version of a book on amazon, is it in Epub format , right ?
I can store the epub from device to device without trouble or do i need an app ?
Am i forced to get a kindle if i want to read stuff or can i use my usual epub reader i already have ?

I short : if i buy a digital book on amazon, what is the format ? and how do i use it ?

EDIT : nevermind i missed a link ... seems like i have to use a kindle app to read my files in kindle format...

Quixzlizx

HI , everyone.

I usually buy light novels in papers , butthose last 2 months i got a j-novel subscription and i must say i don't dislike reading stuff on my tablet. As since my free ( physical space ) is limited i'm actually considering buying kindle version of the books on amazon ( to have them ASAP ) to to reduce the physical space they use.

That said i'm slightly confused , so i'll looking for an answer to this question: If i buy a kindle version of a book on amazon, is it in Epub format , right ?
I can store the epub from device to device without trouble or do i need an app ?
Am i forced to get a kindle if i want to read stuff or can i use my usual epub reader i already have ?

I short : if i buy a digital book on amazon, what is the format ? and how do i use it ?

EDIT : nevermind i missed a link ... seems like i have to use a kindle app to read my files in kindle format...

I think the Kindle format is mobi.

arkon

HI , everyone.

What you get isn't in the ePUB format. It's usually an azw file with DRM unless publishers specify DRM-free.

If you want ePUBs I think other storefronts use that just not Amazon.

If you have an ePUB file you should be able to use it on other devices that support the format assuming there's no DRM issues.

You don't need a kindle to read stuff either. You can use kindle apps on PC, phones, tablets etc.

There are ways to convert between different formats though. Calibre is good for that and also has plugins to help with stripping DRM.

If you already have an ePUB reader then you can stick with that. Just use a storefront that sells the books you are after in that format.

Edit: I should also add that you can convert files to mobi files which kindle readers and apps do support. So you can convert ePUB to mobi pretty easily and the kindle stuff will handle those fine.

thanks for the replies .
I dislike drm quite a lot since i love the luxury to use my stuff on multiple devices( I have 2 tablets and my phone and i like the flexibility )
I'll look if the publishers storefronts aren't better then.
i'm quite satisfied with the epub format , i guess i was expecting too much elsewhere.

Are there any good place to get digital books ( light novels ) ? I just wanna see the catalog and what's available ?

I didnt know there are mobile devices that cant access kindle content through the browser or even the app.

What device are you using to read your stuff on anyway?

i didn't say the bolded. i just said that i wasn't intrested in drm stuff my tablet.

--------------
I read on galaxy tab 2 with an epub reader i have this tablet since years and i'm happy with it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
i didn't say the bolded. i just said that i wasn't intrested in drm stuff my tablet.

--------------
I read on galaxy tab 2 with an epub reader i have this tablet since years and i'm happy with it.
Of course its your choice, but the kindle reader app is pretty great and syncs across all your devices - the software/browser reader on PC, phone/tablet app, actual kindle.
It's so convenient, that nowadays I'm bummed out when I buy books from stores other than Amazon.

Of course its your choice, but the kindle reader app is pretty great and syncs across all your devices - the software/browser reader on PC, phone/tablet app, actual kindle.
It's so convenient, that nowadays I'm bummed out when I buy books from stores other than Amazon.

There are some books i'm looking forward in a couple of weeks so i'll probably buy a couple and see how i'll enjoy the kindle app since some of the books i can't get them normally.

cj_iwakura

I guess if people ask for them though I dont see if theres even much of a desire for them? I dont see manga of Fate currently being released in America for example (unless digital only fate stay counts? So LN desires must be even less.

I saw the Fate/Zero manga at B&N, but it didn't look very good. The omake videos mention 'go read the novels' to learn more about Gilgamesh, and I imagine they're way better.

arifureta ? i was under the impression that jnovel had the license for it . or maybe seven seas is only talking about the manga ?

yep it was the manga only. I'm already following the LN , so it doesn't affect me.

"DIDN'T I SAY TO MAKE MY ABILITIES AVERAGE IN THE NEXT LIFE?! "
Well , i might try this one , but ..meh unless i'm surprised.

"MUSHROOM GIRLS IN LOVE "
Always intrested in yuri , so i might check this out

Yeah I was like, I was sure I heard of Arifureta before.

--

Finished Baccano v1 last wee, I love Firo. .Was surprised the volume basically ended with no lead in to any type of continuation potential. Cant wait to start v2.

Aters

The most anticipated light novel bar none, My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected book 12 is coming. I can already smell it, the "I will die alone" ending.

mdubs

Banned
The most anticipated light novel bar none, My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected book 12 is coming. I can already smell it, the "I will die alone" ending.

84.gif

Cover art looks great. I'm buying the English volumes as they've been coming out and it's amazing how much better the cover art is for the recent volumes (particularly 10.5, 11, and 12). Volume 2 in particular is just bad.

Quixzlizx

Is Clockwork Planet any good? Sora is just on this side of tolerable in NGNL because the people around him don't enable him in the worst way, but I almost came down with hypothermia from the douche-chills I got from the CP prologue.

Is Clockwork Planet any good? Sora is just on this side of tolerable in NGNL because the people around him don't enable him in the worst way, but I almost came down with hypothermia from the douche-chills I got from the CP prologue.

Well , clockwork Planet animated is bad , just bad. bad animation , bad pacing , bad music.
At worst , try the preview of the first volume to see if you like what you're reading. Many people have said that the anime just messed up big time. So there is a decent chance it aint as bad in written form.

Quixzlizx

Well , clockwork Planet animated is bad , just bad. bad animation , bad pacing , bad music.
At worst , try the preview of the first volume to see if you like what you're reading. Many people have said that the anime just messed up big time. So there is a decent chance it aint as bad in written form.

I'm talking about the prologue of the LN, lol.

Top Bottom