• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Esura

Banned
Yeah, pretty much. Gaping character plot-holes aside, I did grow fond of characters like Hope and Noel by the end of XIII-2, so seeing all of that tossed out the window for just Lightning is kind of a bummer. But I'm easily willing to give that a pass if the game is interesting.

...But then again, I've told you that I like Dirge of Cerberus, so my bar for entertainment is pretty fuckin' low.
KuGsj.gif

I liked Dirge of Cerberus too.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yall wouldn't know. It's from an anime that I like but a character that duckroll likes but not me. Essentially I got trolled by two mods in one go. lol. It's an AnimeGAF inside joke.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, pretty much. Gaping character plot-holes aside, I did grow fond of characters like Hope and Noel by the end of XIII-2, so seeing all of that tossed out the window for just Lightning is kind of a bummer. But I'm easily willing to give that a pass if the game is interesting.

...But then again, I've told you that I like Dirge of Cerberus, so my bar for entertainment is pretty fuckin' low.
KuGsj.gif

My god, you can't be for real.

LuuKyK

I just LOVE your avatar... had to say it.

As for my take i think it is somewhat unexpected (not the sequel part but the concept and all the new stuff). I don't like the time aspect as well cause i like playing games at my pace and i hate feeling like i have a deadline in games. But, i'm interested still and i love the character of Lightning. I'm a huge FF fan so i'll definitely be on the lookout.

She is awesome, isn't she? :p

Yall wouldn't know. It's from an anime that I like but a character that duckroll likes but not me. Essentially I got trolled by two mods in one go. lol. It's an AnimeGAF inside joke.

Thanks for telling us who she is.

Ninjimbo

Whoa. I didn't expect a radical departure from XIII-2. This game sounds super intriguing and pretty much just what I wanted in certain parts.

I loved the two previous games, but I did want something completely different from a combat system standpoint. I spent 100 hours+ staggering enemies and shifting parties so I welcome a completely reworked system. I'm also a fan of games like Majoras Mask and Dragon Quarter so I'm down with the doomsday idea.

The only thing I'm worried about is playing a single character. I don't mind it mechanically, but since the game is set in a ruined world, it might start to feel too solitary. At least Dragon Quarter gave you a party to work with when navigating those depressing environments.

Whatevs. LR already sounds good and Square usually puts out a quality game. Can't wait to see more.

Shinta

Banned
I did grow fond of characters like Hope and Noel by the end of XIII-2, so seeing all of that tossed out the window for just Lightning is kind of a bummer.

Well, we honestly don't know at this point. Hope traveled through time before. Bhunivelze is still in the sky and he built the damn thing ...

Beth Cyra

I will completely, 100% agree with anyone who says anything bad about it. I've been able to find some enjoyment in playing terrible games like it though. I like XIII after all!

Woah now.

XIII has issues but still has amazing gameplay.

Dirge on the other hand, my god. I only wish there was someway to get my time back with that thing. Not only the Gameplay but the story line, so bad I can barely handle thinking about it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you mean its your favourite character and, dare I say, your "waifu".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, was gonna answer "Silica from Sword Art Online and kayos haaaaates herrrrrr."

I hope you've learned your lesson, kayos!

KuGsj.gif
Yeah, that's my position as well. I'm kind of disappointed that they seem to cast aside stuff that happened in the previous game and move on like that. Ah well.

And yes, I know you like Dirge. You people are strange, for reasons I've pointed out before. :p

Lain

I'm excited about this.
Lightning playable! Even better, it's basically her game! What more could ask for?! Well maybe to get the game right now, but that wouldn't be feasible.

Noi

And yes, I know you like Dirge. You people are strange, for reasons I've pointed out before. :p

When you tend to play a ton of mediocre games, one learns to appreciate the ones that at least put a modicum of effort in trying to do something new.

...Says the guy interested in a XIII sequel borrowing elements from a game in another series.

And so began the "Lightning is dead" theory.

Everything after the party turned into Ceith is a hallucination from Vanille as she puts up a defensive mechanism to stop the torture from getting to her so she won't destroy the world.

spoiler-tagging ffxiii ending stuff just to be safe

Zeal

Banned
Pro tip, Square. The Lightning character is not particularly interesting or cherished by fans, like say Cloud, Sephiroth, Tina, Cecil, Crono, Magus, or a billion other amazing characters beloved by all.

I also miss the oldschool 'SQU/\RE' that funneled all of their talent, time and money into the next major FF project, and not into a billion sidestory games based on poorly written and unmemorable characters. Side projects used to be called things like Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Einhänder and Vagrant Story (all of which were masterpieces), not garbage like XIII-2 and this Lightning nonsense.

Teknoman

It most certainly will not have a story that's understandable.

I know, but I can dream...

Kinda messed up that both VII and XIII get the most spin offs, yet their stories are pretty hard to take in at first go. The worlds are interesting, but the spinoffs always bring up more questions then answers.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
When you tend to play a ton of mediocre games, one learns to appreciate the ones that at least put a modicum of effort in trying to do something new.

...Says the guy interested in a XIII sequel borrowing elements from a game in another series.
Well, I'm kind of interested too from what's being put on paper. Don't worry. I'm up for new mechanics, even since it apparently might have a day/night system?

...says the girl who legitimately loves Sonic Unleashed.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So this is a sidestep in the FFXIII saga, meaning that FFXIII-3 might happen to continue Noel/Sarah's story.

Who's running Square? How can you allow this to happen. :p

Shinta

Banned
I'm going to be honest and say that after the reveal of this game I WANT this to happen.

So do I. I can't even imagine them wrapping this up in 1 game.

Who is going to do the OST I wonder? Hamauzu has to return at least for some of it. Are there even separate battle screens like in XIII and XIII-2? Will the music just all be field themes like in XII? Can't WAIT.

I actually like Lightning as a character, so.. cautiously optimistic.

I think after this game, people will love her. Real time combat, ducking behind cover, multiple costumes and customization, powers exceeding her demi-god status in XIII-2? Yeah.

apparently might have a day/night system? .

Apparently the whole world runs in real time, and you can be waiting at the train station for the monorails to show up even.

Noi

I know, but I can dream...

Kinda messed up that both VII and XIII get the most spin offs, yet their stories are pretty hard to take in at first go. The worlds are interesting, but the spinoffs always bring up more questions then answers.

The VII spin-offs didn't even answer the questions they themselves opened. Hell, Dirge even left things open enough for an FFVII sequel though, after Crisis Core, I don't think most would react kindly to Genesis being the series' final villain.

Well, I'm kind of interested too from what's being put on paper. Don't worry. I'm up for new mechanics, even since it apparently might have a day/night system?

...says the girl who legitimately loves Sonic Unleashed.

And you call us strange.

RedSwirl

IGN said:
Square Enix has announced Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Set to arrive in 2013, Lightning Returns will incorporate “a brand-new story, world, characters and an enhanced gameplay system,” according to Square Enix. The game will feature Lightning as a solo playable character and allow her to freely roam a new world.

Other details regarding Lightning Returns are limited. We do know that the main story takes place hundreds of years after Final Fantasy XIII-2, set in a world called Novus Partus -- which is composed of four islands connected by monorail. The development team told IGN that three of the guiding pillars for the art direction in Lightning Returns are "gothic, mechanical and fantasy."

The most startling change to Lightning Returns comes in the form of the doomsday countdown. According to Square-Enix, the world will end after 13 days, and a massive clock will count down constantly in the corner of the screen to indicate this looming deadline. Any action players take, even taking the monorail from place to place, will spend time and hasten the end of days.

With Lightning as the only playable character, players will have unparalleled control over customizing her looks and combat style. The battle system itself, a greatly modified version of the previous two, will feature real-time elements including direct control of Lightning's movement and her attacks, as well as time-based moves that drain the doomsday counter. Lightning Returns will also include a real-time block system, designed to make battles much more active and time-based. Even dying mid-battle will activate a prompt to give players the choice to rewind their mistakes at the expense of the timer.

So, basically, "Final Fantasy Skyrim"? Even the title art looks evocative of Skyrim.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So this is a sidestep in the FFXIII saga, meaning that FFXIII-3 might happen to continue Noel/Sarah's story.

Who's running Square? How can you allow this to happen. :p

I hope this is just basically FFXIII-3 without the 3 in the name. I'm extra pumped for a new ffxiii game, but even I'm not sure if i can handle 2 more games (not including Verses).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And you call us strange.
Sonic Unleashed had excellent art direction, was a wonderful debut of the Hedgehog Engine + Light-field, had great NPCs, had some good quests, had good daytime level design, and had an excellent soundtrack.

The only issues with the Werehog were that: the balancing is shit and it shouldn't take you 20+ minutes to finish off a level despite looking for medals. You should not have to level up Werehog by grinding and cheating the system to max him out in order to finish off an Act in a short time. It was also kind of slow and clunky. Make it faster, axe the grinding/levelling, and possibly replace him with the Knuckles model and maybe it would be alright.

Eggmanland HD was also a weak point and it's better in the SD version. Looking for medals in the HD version detracted from the overall flow of the game.

But despite that, I love Sonic Unleashed. I think it's perfectly playable. :p

...ok, I relent, we both like iffy games. Hahaha.

Beth Cyra

Sonic Unleashed had excellent art direction, was a wonderful debut of the Hedgehog Engine + Light-field, had great NPCs, had some good quests, had good daytime level design, and had an excellent soundtrack.

The only issues with the Werehog were that: the balancing is shit and it shouldn't take you 20+ minutes to finish off a level despite looking for medals. You should not have to level up Werehog by grinding and cheating the system to max him out in order to finish off an Act in a short time. It was also kind of slow and clunky. Make it faster, axe the grinding/levelling, and possibly replace him with the Knuckles model and maybe it would be alright.

Eggmanland HD was also a weak point and it's better in the SD version. Looking for medals in the HD version detracted from the overall flow of the game.

But despite that, I love Sonic Unleashed. I think it's perfectly playable. :p

...ok, I relent, we both like iffy games. Hahaha.

Are they ever going to give Knuckles his due? He was only half of the two best games in the franchise.

I dig lightning. But I can't help thinking that this is the final fantasy game we didn't want but the one we deserve.lol hopefully the whole doomsday countdown thing is executed well.
whares versus ;.;

Top Bottom